Brian Schottenheimer and Bob Sutton are on the hotseat in 2008

YJF

Brian Schottenheimer and Bob Sutton are on the hotseat in 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Jets are expected to be better in 2008. The media and many Jets followers will have you believe that Eric Mangini and Mike Tannenbaum are in a make or break year. That their jobs are on the line.

That won't be the case. I believe that the owner, Woody Johnson is fully behind Eric Mangini and Mike Tannenbaum. I believe that they have some rope to play with here.

If The 2008 season does not produce the desired results that the Jets braintrust/ownership is looking for. Then 2009 will truly be Tangini's make or break year. The two people who I do believe are working for their jobs in 2008 are offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and defensive coordinator Bob Sutton.

First, Let's look at Brian Schottenheimer.

Some of his responsibilities have been altered for the 2008 season. The running game has been a weak spot for the Jets for two years now. In 2006 and in 2007. The running game has been turned over to Bill Callahan. He's not only replaced Tony Wise as the o-line coach but he's been given the designation of "running game coordinator".

The Jets QB coach, Brian Daboll who came over from New England to join Eric Mangini's staff is very close with Eric. He has a strong voice in the locker room. His forte is the passing game. He could be next in line to replace Brian Schottenheimer.

If The Jets have a good year in 2008. Then Brian's job is safe but he could also get head coaching consideration if the Jets have success offensively. He's gotten strong consideration the last two years. If The Jets don't have a good year offensively in 08. Brian could be gone. This is a big year for him. The Jets have gone out and added some talent to the offensive side of the ball. It's time to produce results.

It goes without stating that Bob Sutton is on the hotseat as the defensive coordinator. He barely retained his job this offseason. Eric Mangini was non-commital towards Sutton's job status for a long time in the winter. It was only when all viable replacements dissapeared that Sutton retained his DC post. If the Jets defense does not take the next step in 2008. Sutton will not be the Jets defensive coordinator in 2009.

For two years now, The Jets offense and defense have been ranked near the bottom of the league. It's a make or break year for these coordinators.

Eh. Sutton is beyond the hot seat. He's basically a figurehead, they are keeping around for his experience. It's no secret that if Rob Ryan was free he'd have taken Sutton's spot either year. Schottenheimer, I think you have more of a point with. The O looked innovative in '06 and simply looked hamstrung by personnel. They took a huge step back last year. I think after the Jets '07 performance that B.Schottenheimer is at least two good seasons from serious head coaching consideration.

good post-Sutton's butt has been burning from the hot seat since September-I think you're right about Daboll-when it looked like Baby Schott might have gotten the Miami job he was next in line-thank GOD we got Callahan and Tony Wise was run out on a rail-just like he was down here at Miami

Sutton more so than Shottenheimer. Sutton has been awful in both years he's been the DC, and has looked like a deer in headlights on the sideline. I liked Shottenheimer's play calling in his first year, the Jets were unpredictable. last year they were more predictable than when Herm was here. he has a chance, Sutton will be fired.

I think what you have in Schottenheimer and Sutton are two very good assistant coaches who have had growing pains in their first coordinator jobs. Year three for these two is going to be very telling as whether or not, they have grown into the jobs.

Talent is a big factor and the Jets coaches have not had alot of talent to play with the last two years. The Jets have had one of the weakest talent rosters in the sport in 06 and 07.

All of them should be on the hot-seat. The talent is there, now it's up to Mangini and co. to put the thing together. There is no excuse for failure in 2008, we have to be competitive.

You're absolutely dead on. The entire coaching staff should be on the hot seat. If the Jets go 8-8 or worse this upcoming season Mangini and the entire coaching staff should be fired.

The only person I'd forgive is Tanenbaum b/c he made a lot of good moves this off-season and set this team up for success: Faneca, Jenkins, Woody, Pace, Franks, Richardson and a good draft plus the Jets have an easier schedule.

You're absolutely dead on. The entire coaching staff should be on the hot seat. If the Jets go 8-8 or worse this upcoming season Mangini and the entire coaching staff should be fired.

The only person I'd forgive is Tanenbaum b/c he made a lot of good moves this off-season and set this team up for success: Faneca, Jenkins, Woody, Pace, Franks, Richardson and a good draft plus the Jets have an easier schedule.

I'd doubt that Mangini and Tannenbaum are going to be fired in 2008. These two guys are tied at the hip. They are one in the same. If one goes, both go.

I'd doubt that Mangini and Tannenbaum are going to be fired in 2008. These two guys are tied at the hip. They are one in the same. If one goes, both go.

I don't think they'll be fired either. Mangini would have to royally screw up the next season.

Sutton should have already been fired, and I think he would have been if Al Davis didn't **** us and keep Ryan.

Al Davis LIVES to **** The Jets over-the minute he heard we were going to bring him on board he put a stop to it right quick

I think what you have in Schottenheimer and Sutton are two very good assistant coaches who have had growing pains in their first coordinator jobs. Year three for these two is going to be very telling as whether or not, they have grown into the jobs.

Talent is a big factor and the Jets coaches have not had alot of talent to play with the last two years. The Jets have had one of the weakest talent rosters in the sport in 06 and 07.

I agree on Schottie. I thought he had a good first year. He was welcome relief from Mike Heimerdinger and Hermball. But last year, he regressed. The talent certainly wasn't there, but it seemed like the creativity wasn't, either. Would've been nice if they added a RT I could have faith in, too, but you can't have everything. Hopefully the talent they did add, and some maturity from Clemens, leads to some better offense.

On dee, I'm afraid I have no confidence in Sutton. He would seem to embody the Peter Principle. He may've been a decent LB coach, but he's now in way over his head. Perhaps Mangini will be happy letting the three-headed monster on offense take care of that side of the ball, so he can be heavy handed on the defensive side this year.

I agree on Schottie. I thought he had a good first year. He was welcome relief from Mike Heimerdinger and Hermball. But last year, he regressed. The talent certainly wasn't there, but it seemed like the creativity wasn't, either. Would've been nice if they added a RT I could have faith in, too, but you can't have everything. Hopefully the talent they did add, and some maturity from Clemens, leads to some better offense.

On dee, I'm afraid I have no confidence in Sutton. He would seem to embody the Peter Principle. He may've been a decent LB coach, but he's now in way over his head. Perhaps Mangini will be happy letting the three-headed monster on offense take care of that side of the ball, so he can be heavy handed on the defensive side this year.

agreed slats-the reason the defense started to come around last year was BECAUSE Mangini took more control

We'll see on BS. Hopefully gameplanning for having a noodle-arm QB and no offensive line hasn't sucked all the innovation out of his head.

Sutton would've been gone if Ryan were let out of Oakland and honestly I don't believe Sutton is anything more than a name now. Mangini will run the defense and Sutton will help out rarely, focusing more on his previous position of coaching - Linebackers.

As for Schottenheimer, the writing for him was written on the wall last year when Daboll was brought in. Either he was going to improve and get a Head Coaching gig or he was going to sink and be canned after three or four years and the job given to Daboll. We'll see what happens.

yeah... let's fire the entire CS, GM included. then we can hire a new HC who'll undoubtedly run a 4-3 with all the pieces this regime drafted to play a 3-4... that'd be great wouldn't it? then over the course of another 2 or 3 unproductive years we'll trade all of the 3-4 guys for 4-3 guys and fire that HC for a whole new CS that thinks it can play a 3-4 with 4-3 guys... let's help the cycle self-perpetuate...

This is a unique situation in that they are both young but Mangini could actually have more staying power. I hope it doesn't happy but if the tank it this year the case could be made that Eric is a good coach that needs a veteran GM.

yeah... let's fire the entire CS, GM included. then we can hire a new HC who'll undoubtedly run a 4-3 with all the pieces this regime drafted to play a 3-4... that'd be great wouldn't it? then over the course of another 2 or 3 unproductive years we'll trade all of the 3-4 guys for 4-3 guys and fire that HC for a whole new CS that thinks it can play a 3-4 with 4-3 guys... let's help the cycle self-perpetuate...

Exactly. Fortunately, I don't think Woody reads this board or generally looks to the fans for advice. Mangini and Mr. T will be around for quite a while. Sutton could go next year, but this organization is headed back up the mountain.

Exactly. Fortunately, I don't think Woody reads this board or generally looks to the fans for advice. Mangini and Mr. T will be around for quite a while. Sutton could go next year, but this organization is headed back up the mountain.

We doesn't read the board. But we caught him checking out our fan photos. He likes the tailgating pictures.

All of them should be on the hot-seat. The talent is there, now it's up to Mangini and co. to put the thing together. There is no excuse for failure in 2008, we have to be competitive.

Its not normal to just go out and buy a big part of your core (2 starting OL, a starting DT, and a starting OLB) and draft 2 starters (Gholston and probably Lowery) to your team in one season and expect them to gel and deliver immediately. Yes, you can say the Patriots did it last season. Well guess what, the Pats already had a very strong core from years before.

Also, throw in a QB controversy, and expecting everything to work out perfectly in year 1 isnt exactly realistic.

Archived