9-7 Wild card possible this year?

tjmitch

How can someone possibly guess this now?

you can look at the strength of the schedule and the match-ups and make an informed guess as to how many games the jets can win based on what you expect their performance to be. There is no guarantees in football but we do play miami twice so that is an automatic 2 wins. IF we split with the Bills that is three wins out of four games. KC and SF are two very winnable games so that puts us up to 5 wins on the season. We would have to feel confident that the jets would be able to get 4 more wins out of the rest of their schedule. When we play teams like Oakland and Arizona that does not make it that hard to believe. I think that the jets have at worst 7 wins on their schedule. But that is just a well reasoned guess on my behalf.

you can look at the strength of the schedule and the match-ups and make an informed guess as to how many games the jets can win based on what you expect their performance to be.

No you can't (not informed anyway). It's MAY. You have no idea how teams are going to perform. Absolutely no idea. It's not even an educated guess right now.

Strength of schedule has to be the most meaningless # ever produced.

There is no guarantees in football but we do play miami twice so that is an automatic 2 wins.

No it isn't. I hope I'm wrong.

I think anyone who thinks they are making an informed guess in May is just making a fool out of themselves. That includes John Clayton and all the other "experts"

No you can't (not informed anyway). It's MAY. You have no idea how teams are going to perform. Absolutely no idea. It's not even an educated guess right now.

Strength of schedule has to be the most meaningless # ever produced.

No it isn't. I hope I'm wrong.

I think anyone who thinks they are making an informed guess in May is just making a fool out of themselves. That includes John Clayton and all the other "experts"

That isn't true, a bad team who has done next to nothing to improve is still going to be a bad team. Miami is awful as is oakland, I can guarentee neither team wins more than 4-5 games. KC and SF would be lucky to get over 5-6 wins as well. What makes you think that these horrible teams are going to do so much better? You can say the same about the Jets and you would be right. I just content that there are 6 worse teams that the jets play this year.

That isn't true, a bad team who has done next to nothing to improve is still going to be a bad team. Miami is awful as is oakland, I can guarentee neither team wins more than 4-5 games. KC and SF would be lucky to get over 5-6 wins as well. What makes you think that these horrible teams are going to do so much better? You can say the same about the Jets and you would be right. I just content that there are 6 worse teams that the jets play this year.

2006 Jets prove my point. Noone thought they'd be good. They finished 10-6. You can find tons of examples like that every year. Noone thought the NYG would win 8 games last yr.. They won the Super Bowl.

I contend what I initially said is 100% true.

2006 Jets prove my point. Noone thought they'd be good. They finished 10-6. You can find tons of examples like that every year. Noone thought the NYG would win 8 games last yr.. They won the Super Bowl.

I contend what I initially said is 100% true.

of course you do, you're an arrogant egotist. Jets in 06 had an easy schedule and a new coach, people took them lightly and they surprised a few people. They did not do that much higher than expected. So there is one team a year that performs better than expected? WOOPIE! Don't try to mask you being too cowardly to make a prediction. BE BOLD!

I say that the jets beat miami twice, KC, oakland, sf, arizona and the bill and have a good shot at beating the titans and the rams

of course you do, you're an arrogant egotist. Jets in 06 had an easy schedule and a new coach, people took them lightly and they surprised a few people. They did not do that much higher than expected. So there is one team a year that performs better than expected? WOOPIE! Don't try to mask you being too cowardly to make a prediction. BE BOLD!

I say that the jets beat miami twice, KC, oakland, sf, arizona and the bill and have a good shot at beating the titans and the rams

They didn't do much better than expected? The idiots, I mean experts who tried to predict in the offseason said 4-6 wins!

No reason to make a prediction.. it's dumb to in MAY.

They didn't do much better than expected? The idiots, I mean experts who tried to predict in the offseason said 4-6 wins!

No reason to make a prediction.. it's dumb to in MAY.

who listens to "experts"? It's cool some people don't have the balls to make a "bold" prediction and sit by it.

We went 4-12 last year.

All you guys who are predicting wins over the supposedly weak teams I would suggest

looking at the fan boards for those teams.

In similar conversations as to how those teams will fair next season I would bet

the house that they have the Jets in their win column.

you can look at the strength of the schedule and the match-ups and make an informed guess as to how many games the jets can win based on what you expect their performance to be. There is no guarantees in football but we do play miami twice so that is an automatic 2 wins. IF we split with the Bills that is three wins out of four games. KC and SF are two very winnable games so that puts us up to 5 wins on the season. We would have to feel confident that the jets would be able to get 4 more wins out of the rest of their schedule. When we play teams like Oakland and Arizona that does not make it that hard to believe. I think that the jets have at worst 7 wins on their schedule. But that is just a well reasoned guess on my behalf.

Whats that based on right now?

The previous years team and win total...

Means nothing...

Whats that based on right now?

The previous years team and win total...

Means nothing...

I just meant look at who we are playing. Like how hard it is. If we're playing Miami twice, Oakland, San Fran, STL and Arizona, those are some easily beatable teams.

I just meant look at who we are playing. Like how hard it is. If we're playing Miami twice, Oakland, San Fran, STL and Arizona, those are some easily beatable teams.

I hear ya... just dont like SOS...

Jets could go above .500 this year... they could also bomb again...

We shall see!

Im hoping for 11-5...

That isn't true, a bad team who has done next to nothing to improve is still going to be a bad team. Miami is awful as is oakland, I can guarentee neither team wins more than 4-5 games.

How have Oakland done nothing to improve?

They added Gibril Wilson, Javon Walker and DeAngelo Hall, also they got Darren McFadden in the draft. If Russell can develop like he should then the Raiders should be much improved next season. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the come 2nd in that division.

Hey Arsis, go ahead and have fun with it, but Aec is right that you can't take May predictions too seriously.

One thing I'll say though is that if the Jets are really on the road to contention over the next couple of years, they're going to have to show something this year by beating some of the middle tier teams at least, whichever ones they are. Let's say teams like buffalo, tennesee, cincinnati, maybe denver or oakland, arizona, seattle, st. louis. I'm not sure how these teams will shake out, but we've got to show we're competitive or this offseason in retrospect will look like a disaster. Can you imagine if we end up with a .500 record or less? I'd rather not, it would mean besides losing to teams like NE, san diego and buffalo we'll be losing a fair number of games to those middle tier teams that probably aren't even playoff contenders themselves.

How will we be able to improve the team enough through FA (do we have any cap space left?) and the draft next year to climb back into contention? If the players we have now can't get it done for the most part this team might be a lot further away from the big game then I care to think about.

How have Oakland done nothing to improve?

They added Gibril Wilson, Javon Walker and DeAngelo Hall, also they got Darren McFadden in the draft. If Russell can develop like he should then the Raiders should be much improved next season. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the come 2nd in that division.

you can't say that in may.

The way they do the playoffs now, I think the best chance for a 9-7 team to get in is to be the best team in a poor division. If the AFC continues it's dominance over the NFC in the regular season, it seems unlikely that there'd be a wildcard team from the AFC with a 9 win record.

Arsis, I have to agree with him. You cannot know who is going to be good and bad. As much as any reason, because you don't know which big-time players are going to get injured or hit the wall career-wise.

I'm sure in the 2004 off-season, fans of all 12 teams who lost to the Chargers had that game pegged as an automatic win.

Likewise, fans of most teams in 2003 thought the Oakland game was probably going to be an automatic loss.

And this stuff happens all the time. You play a team that was elite last year and the following year they're garbage. Or vice versa.

Arsis, I have to agree with him. You cannot know who is going to be good and bad. As much as any reason, because you don't know which big-time players are going to get injured or hit the wall career-wise.

I'm sure in the 2004 off-season, fans of all 12 teams who lost to the Chargers had that game pegged as an automatic win.

Likewise, fans of most teams in 2003 thought the Oakland game was probably going to be an automatic loss.

And this stuff happens all the time. You play a team that was elite last year and the following year they're garbage. Or vice versa.

yeah, and what makes may any different from middle of august? beside the few injuries that happen in preseason? What makes it any different from the day before the season? or the middle of the season? Any guess anyone makes is going to be at least 50% B.S. even if it is the day before the game in the middle of the season or the end of May.

yeah, and what makes may any different from middle of august? beside the few injuries that happen in preseason? What makes it any different from the day before the season? or the middle of the season? Any guess anyone makes is going to be at least 50% B.S. even if it is the day before the game in the middle of the season or the end of May.

The closer you get to the season, the better your chances of seeing what's going on. If you guess now, you're not only projecting Sept-December, you're projecting May-August. At least the day before the season you know who is hurt and who isn't. Still a guess, but at least a legit one.

I'm going to back on topic for a second and say that on paper we do have a very talented team right now which is much improved in the trenches. If Jenkins and Faneca pan out we should be incredibly strong on both the O and D lines. If Gholston or Pace can provide any kind of pass rush then we should have a top defence. Overall, I'm very excited about the upcoming season and I personally do think we can make a serious playoff push regardless of who is at QB.

9-7= Mangini being FIRED. See yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Not if we make the playoffs at 9-7 which admittedly is unlikely.

I can't see Mangini getting sacked after a winning season. It's tough for a GM or Owner to justify sacking a HC that took over a 4-12 team and has 2 winning seasons in 3 years, regardless of circumstances.

TBH though, I couldn't care less about Mangini. I wouldn't be upset if he was fired.

I hope you're dead wrong.

I hope he's wrong about the record, but I think he's right about Mangini's job security. I think the only way Eric gets canned is if he loses the team as well as a lot of games. And I don't see that happening just yet.

What say you? Can the JETS go 9-7 and get a wild card spot this year? Perhaps even a 10 win season?

I think it's VERY possible especially considering we were 10-6 just the year before last. We added some very good people in key areas that were weak last year.

August doesn't factor into it. Through the month of August, there are teams that are still expected to be lousy who then do well and vice versa.

Without any Augusts giving tremendous foreshadowing, didn't you watch the Jets win a playoff game in '04, then win 3 games in '05, then win 10 games in '06, then win 4 games in '07?

You cannot predict who is going to be good in May. You get a little better educated guess in August, but you still don't really know.

August doesn't factor into it. Through the month of August, there are teams that are still expected to be lousy who then do well and vice versa.

Without any Augusts giving tremendous foreshadowing, didn't you watch the Jets win a playoff game in '04, then win 3 games in '05, then win 10 games in '06, then win 4 games in '07?

You cannot predict who is going to be good in May. You get a little better educated guess in August, but you still don't really know.

There are people who correctly predicted the roller coaster the jets went on the past few years. Wasn't it maybe 6 months before last season where... Barton was it was saying the jets are only a 3 win team.

IF we were to reach 9-7 I think we'd be watching the playoffs from the sidelines. It's going to take atleast 10 wins and some luck to make the playoffs in the AFC. In a guess I'd say chargers will finish with the usual 12 wins, pats too, browns will have 11 or so. There is a lot of heavy competition.

Archived