Giaints announce PSL fee structure today

Kentucky Jet

I am proud of the giants for being true to the free market economy. This is a great thing for all and it will eliminate those who are selected against economically. Why should the giants or jets fail to gain revenue that others will gladly pay for psl's? They are not a charity or welfare organization.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am proud of the giants for being true to the free market economy. This is a great thing for all and it will eliminate those who are selected against economically. Why should the giants or jets fail to gain revenue that others will gladly pay for psl's? They are not a charity or welfare organization.

APOTW nomination here (Arrogant Post of the Week)

The average Giant fan at the game is 75 years old. How in the world do the Giants expect them to pay these insane prices living off of pensions plans and social security

They don't. There may be more Giants fans giving up tickets than Jets fans.

They're working together on this. The Jets send out a "survey" with PSL's that range as high as $30,000. The Giants then release a "structure" in which the highest price they'll be charging in $20,000. Now, as insane an amount as that is, it looks like a bargain compared to what the Jets seem to be proposing. So Giant fans are oddly contented.

Next move will be the Jets releasing a structure of their own that will be equal to -or lower than- the Giants. Or one they can effectively sell as "better for the average fan" than the Giants' structure.

Watch.

I was thinking the same thing after the press conference yesterday. This may very well just be a media stunt by both teams so they do not come off as a "Villian" in this PSL scandal.

• The Jets send out a survey that lists PSL prices that will well outsource the average season ticket holder
  • The Giants a week to the day that the survey is sent to Jets Season & Waiting list holders gives a short statement about their PSL's so their Season ticket base does not run for the hills - This way they can get the higher end price out through game day ticket sales/parking/food/ect...

And then the Jets lay down the "TROJAN HORSE"

• They promote a much lower PSL breakdown than that of the survey & state that "We've listened to you requests & are offering you best incentives for keeping your season tickets"
  • They come off as heroes to the Season ticket base & as a Villian to the Giants fans who feel that they were forced into PSL's because of the Jets
  • They increase the price per game after the 2012 season to 160% of the average ticket price, stating "Due to unknown expenses, we have no choice but to increase the average game day ticket"

My God - Does this mean that Woody now thinks he's frickin' Achillies?!!

Baumer, I love how you always lay out the DOOMSDAY scenario.

disney-chicken-little-sky-falling.jpg

BZ

The CEO of the company I work for always says there are three sides to every story. The versions you get from the two people involved and the truth.

Hopefully in this case the truth is in the middle and has the majority of us affording seats next season.

An interesting note out of one of the articles today..

While we Jet fans like to say we have a "10,000" strong waiting list the Giants have a "130,000" strong waiting list.

Wow.

Either way, I can't see a way that Woody can charge a penny more for PSLs than the Giants. It would be a PR nightmare.

BZ

This is why the Giants PSL will be an investment and the Jets PSL won't really.

Jets could easily lose 10,000 ticket holders due to PSL's, making the wait list next-to nothing. Or, just as importantly, the # of people on the free market who are looking for season tickets with PSL's to buy.

Giants PSL's will certainly be more in-demand. I could easily see, within a year or two, a $1000-PSL selling for $5-10K to someone who is like #110,000 on their wait list.

The Jets PSL's that are most likely to go up many thousands of dollars are the really rare tickets. But then those ticket holders are probably either going to keep them or flip them right away.

Mara said they worried about the fans reaction to this. The crazy part is when the Giants say that, I actually believe it.

Mara said the team decided to acknowledge the need for PSLs after years of speculation. "I can't look anyone in the eye anymore," he said, "and tell them we haven't made the final decision yet."

Meanwhile at Hofstra, the Jets "haven't made a decision about PSLs yet". LOL!!! Yes that is totally believable.

Mara said they worried about the fans reaction to this. The crazy part is when the Giants say that, I actually believe it.

Meanwhile at Hofstra, the Jets "haven't made a decision about PSLs yet". LOL!!! Yes that is totally believable.

the only decision they havent made yet are the excuses they will use to force PSL's upon us. Good excuses take time... they are reading through the comments from the psl survey to put together a list of good excuses jets fans will fall for.

Stop whining. If you guys didn't think PSLs were coming, you were kidding yourself.

Again, you're not the one spending the money. so shut the hell up and stop whining. if you're spending your hard earned money on season tickets you have a right to complain. who the hell are you to be telling anybody what to do? I mean seriously?

Go back to crying about Bob.

Stop whining. If you guys didn't think PSLs were coming, you were kidding yourself.

Great thinking. Another one that always bothered me is imports. Hey tea is expensive. We should be taxed on it. I really don't see a big problem here.

Just because someone can charge something, doesn't make it right. You can choose to ignore these threads instead of displaying your award winning charm.

When you are talkng about people having to put their hard earned money up while struggling to make a living with families for something they enjoy doing you do a diservice to them all calling it whining. Ignore the thread if you do not like it.

I love when non season ticket holders comment on issues that do not impact them. So easy to act tough or non caring when it has nothing to do with your wallet. But then again most of them are independently wealthy as well... yawn

Again, this is the free market at work. If the giants can (and they certainly can, and will) sell these psl's for the announced prices, then the market supports it. Why should the giants care whether or not some loser can 'feed his family' or not. It's not their problem. They are not the red cross or a workers rights political group.

So please stop your whining or move to France and watch their version of 'football'.

Again, this is the free market at work. If the giants can (and they certainly can, and will) sell these psl's for the announced prices, then the market supports it. Why should the giants care whether or not some loser can 'feed his family' or not. It's not their problem. They are not the red cross or a workers rights political group.

So please stop your whining or move to France and watch their version of 'football'.

If you have a problem listening to folks voice their opinion on the subject ,you can move to France also. It is also my opinion that all you folks who are sideing with the JETS & Giants with under 200 posts probably work for the Public Relations dept. of 1 of the 2 of these teams & it`s your job to try and convince the fans this is a good thing

If you have a problem listening to folks voice their opinion on the subject ,you can move to France also. It is also my opinion that all you folks who are sideing with the JETS & Giants with under 200 posts probably work for the Public Relations dept. of 1 of the 2 of these teams & it`s your job to try and convince the fans this is a good thing

Nah

If he were representing one of the teams he would be making believe he had compassion for the fans, while explaining how much Woody loves them, but must do this so the team can survive.

Instead he is making believe he is a successful arrogant businessman.

He's just a Troll, ignore him. He'll find a new bridge. Maybe a Giants board

Free market to a point. Its not like we can have another team move to the area and offer us lower prices. If we are unhappy with McDonalds prices we can go to Wendy's or Burger King. Sports teams play in a closed system where they can manipulate the price due to the scarcity of the product.

But thats where their problem lies... how much can you extort from your fans based on the "scarcity" factor? Eventually there will be a limit on what the public is willing to pay in order to be a season ticket holder. Is $200 a game the limit? Is a $5,000 PSL the limit? At some point they will overprice themselves and lose ticket sales... whats worse is the ill will the fans will have towards the team. And then trying to bring fans back at a lower price will be more difficult since so many will be turned off by what has happened.

So teams need to do a balancing act. Try to generate as much money as possible and not piss off their fan base too much. Since we havent won jack sh!t in years, we get pissed off more easily. Woody has to walk a very fine line here. He doesnt have the waiting list the giants have in case of massive defections. His only hope is corporations, but he will be competing with the Giants for the same corporations.

So teams need to worry about the fans and their money. If they price themselves too far out, they lose the middle class fan base. And what drives the popularity of the sport is the middle class fan base. Sure, the rich folk support the team money wise, but the little guy is why the NFL is king. And the NFL knows that fans can turn off of them just as easily as their gained popularity.

Oh, and France sucks.

Free market to a point. Its not like we can have another team move to the area and offer us lower prices. If we are unhappy with McDonalds prices we can go to Wendy's or Burger King. Sports teams play in a closed system where they can manipulate the price due to the scarcity of the product.

But thats where their problem lies... how much can you extort from your fans based on the "scarcity" factor? Eventually there will be a limit on what the public is willing to pay in order to be a season ticket holder. Is $200 a game the limit? Is a $5,000 PSL the limit? At some point they will overprice themselves and lose ticket sales... whats worse is the ill will the fans will have towards the team. And then trying to bring fans back at a lower price will be more difficult since so many will be turned off by what has happened.

So teams need to do a balancing act. Try to generate as much money as possible and not piss off their fan base too much. Since we havent won jack sh!t in years, we get pissed off more easily. Woody has to walk a very fine line here. He doesnt have the waiting list the jets have in case of massive defections. His only hope is corporations, but he will be competing with the Giants for the same corporations.

So teams need to worry about the fans and their money. If they price themselves too far out, they lose the middle class fan base. And what drives the popularity of the sport is the middle class fan base. Sure, the rich folk support the team money wise, but the little guy is why the NFL is king. And the NFL knows that fans can turn off of them just as easily as their gained popularity.

Oh, and France sucks.

Good post

I know I am in the minority, but it happened to me in baseball when they had the strike right before the World Series.

It was really the fan that got screwed in that. My passion for the game never returned, and I haven't spent a dime on anything baseball related since. At first it was intentional because I was angry.

Now I just don't care.

And yes, france sucks

Good post

I know I am in the minority, but it happened to me in baseball when they had the strike right before the World Series.

It was really the fan that got screwed in that. My passion for the game never returned, and I haven't spent a dime on anything baseball related since. At first it was intentional because I was angry.

Now I just don't care.

And yes, france sucks

It happened to a lot of people with baseball. In fact it took until last year for them to finally reach the average attendance they had before the strike took place...

but most fans came back... and baseball learned their lesson- minimize labor issues and the fans will be happy. Since they are still relatively cheap to attend a game, fans will still come. Baseball has done a good job by not pricing their fans out and building up the "scarcity" of it.

Football on the other hand is already over priced due to scarcity of games. Now add in PSL's and possible labor problems.... 2010 could be a major disaster for the NFL and their future. They could lose their fan base worse than baseball since people already feel they are being priced out and then rich owners and players bitching over money.

Baseball isnt a major investment. Football season tickets are already. With a PSL makes it worse.

PSL's are here to stay. It sucks, but that's the reality of it. How long the Jets waiting lists remains will determine whether or not those PSL's have any resale value. That also sucks.

Once you start comparing football to other sports, you get into the whole money problem. NFL rosters are twice the size of baseball rosters, and they play 1/10th the number of games. Football players are pro athletes, and want to get paid, too. And the owners obviously want to make money. If football won't answer that call, the best athletes will focus on other sports, watering down an already watered down talent pool further. Then everyone suffers.

The Maras may seem more sympathetic to their fans, and maybe they are, but they can afford to be, too. I think they bought the team for $24 and some beads. Woody paid thru his ass, is now shelling out a crapload more on the building he didn't really want, and he wants to get his money back ASAP. I'm certainly not defending him, but I understand it.

It would be nice if there was a larger group of tickets with no PSL's at all. An entry level of cheap, leased seats. But let's face it, they'd get their money from you for parking, beer, hot dogs, foam fingers, whatever they could. All the "improved ammenities" are designed to pull more money out of your pockets. The bottom line is that they need to increase their bottom line. Naming rights only go so far. Broadcasters are only bidding so much. Fans that don't pay will be replaced by fans who will.

It's up to you as a fan to decide whether it's worth it to you. It hasn't even been a consideration for me since they moved to NJ, but I would've loved the shrinking list had they gotten the Manhattan stadium.

Yeah, it sucks.

I can't wait to get my PSL! I'm going to make a fortune on stubhub!

Yeeehaa!

I'll be burning $100's on sundays and laughing all the way to my local bank!

ok. sure.

if you are serious about owning PSL's.. I have great seats. 50 yd line field level. How about you buy the PSL's for my 4 seats, you get 2 of the seats to sell to others on Stubhub and make a "huge" profit. The other 2 seats you will sell to me for face value +10% and I will pay you $1,000 a year for 20 years for the psl.

How 'bout it? Great seats for you to profit from. I get to go to games at a reasonable price.

Hey Ya know what would work best for ME?

If someone could spend their money to build me a brand spanking new 5 bedroom Park Ave apartment and charge me Bronx studio apartment prices.

I think that would be fair. Anything that doesn't adhere to my perception of what's fair is price gauging. Anyone who disagrees is rich or stupid.

And when I don't get my way I reserve the right to cry like a little baby bitch. WAHH WAHH. I have problems and they are bigger than anyone else's!

If someone could spend their money to build me a brand spanking new 5 bedroom Park Ave apartment and charge me Bronx studio apartment prices.

I think that would be fair. Anything that doesn't adhere to my perception of what's fair is price gauging. Anyone who disagrees is rich or stupid.

And when I don't get my way I reserve the right to cry like a little baby bitch. WAHH WAHH. I have problems and they are bigger than anyone else's!

Shhhh! Didn't you know you are not allowed to have that opinion! All because some loser who never got a better job or education can't afford to 'feed his family'! hahaha. Well I guess every blue collar loser is entitled to luxury items like nfl tickets! I forgot I lived in a communist state!

WBAHAHAHAH!

Shhhh! Didn't you know you are not allowed to have that opinion! All because some loser who never got a better job or education can't afford to 'feed his family'! hahaha. Well I guess every blue collar loser is entitled to luxury items like nfl tickets! I forgot I lived in a communist state!

WBAHAHAHAH!

Its not only "blue collar losers" who are ending their season ticket contract with the NYJETS.Its people who are second guessing spending hard earned money in these tough economic times. Hooray for you that you are so high and mighty and have the executive job and can afford anything.Ive seen many with your attitude and ego fall from grace.

Do me one favor try not to squeal too hard when Woody Johnson and the NYJETS bend you over in the new stadium.

WBAHAHAHAH!

That is funny. We can complain about it. You know because it isn't a communist state.

Did you just compare East Rutherford to Park Ave? I love NJ and all but that is a stretch.

How is this good for the fans? I gladly paid another 10% increase in my season ticket fees after yet another 4 and 12 season. I have paid for my seats for 20 seasons, no Super Bowls.

So explain to me how I don't have a right to be mad or complain about this? I just haven't seen a lot of the benefit to the fans about this whole deal.

What a stupid example. Seriously, did you actually think this out before you wrote it?

And you complain about people bitching by making a post and bitching in it.... Pot. Kettle. Black.

I dont understand why people cant bitch about it... Why cant we? Explain that to me..

Why shouldnt we question where all the PSL money is going to? Why shouldnt we question why this stadium is being built to begin with even though the current stadium is fine?

I guess we should just all roll over and take it like bitoni is.

Did you just compare East Rutherford to Park Ave? I love NJ and all but that is a stretch.

How is this good for the fans? I gladly paid another 10% increase in my season ticket fees after yet another 4 and 12 season. I have paid for my seats for 20 seasons, no Super Bowls.

So explain to me how I don't have a right to be mad or complain about this? I just haven't seen a lot of the benefit to the fans about this whole deal.

Just bend over and take it like a man. Why should people be upset about the product they consume... you should just be happy that woody only raised tickets 10%.

make no mistake people have the right to complain all they want - but I also have a right to say "get a life."

People talk about price gouging, about what's fair.

Here's the truth, you can't price gouge for a non-essential item. Milk, Gas, Bread - these are staples. When a disaster takes out the town and refugees head to the town next door to find they are charging 5 dollars for a roll of toilet paper, that's price gouging.

Jets tickets are not essential items they are luxury items. There is no fair in luxury. There's no price point at which certain people should be able to afford another others shouldn't. These are entertainment expendures, these are optional luxury items, Woody Johnson owns the team, he can and will be able to charge whatever he wants.

also why is this such a surprise to everyone? We knew this would happen for years, no one saved money for it, everyone hoped for the best and here we are.

ya know there are some people in this world who can't pay 1 dollar a ticket and 50 cents for a PSL, no one cries for those poor souls. But we should be outraged that some yet-to-be-determined segment of the middle class is getting priced out ? Why? Why are current season ticket holders worthwhile? Is it because they cheered Chad when he went down in week 1? Is the knife fights that break out when the team is terrible? The current season ticket holders have no rights, nor do they deserve any.

the way i see it people have always been priced out from the beginning, no one cried for the super poor who were priced out the year after 1968. Or those who couldn't afford paying the tolls to see the team in NJ in 1980.

Just because it affects you it is unfair? Believe that if you must but what's fair for one is fair for all. Life is not fair.

Meanwhile we ask what is the benefit? A new stadium is in fact a benefit. It might not seem that way right now on paper but when you go in 2009 on janky escalators and then in 2010 on new escalators it will be just one of hundreds of huge differences that benefit the consumer.

I don't know about you but I hate our current building. It sucks. I am embarassed by the current crowd. I can't wait for change. And if PSL is part of that change I say great.

WBAHAHAHAH!

You can be pro-PSL all you want. Opinions are ok. Its stupid comments like yours above that pisses people off.

Why does the PSL's have the value they have? Please answer.

WE should be real happy that the teams will bring in a stream of revenues for naming rights over a period of years- Oh I forgot that is not going to help the average fan that are supporting the team for all these years.

Archived