Josh Hamilton

Zeebers

That was an amazing performance. How was he still hitting it 470 feet after 20 homeruns?

The performance was made even better by that dickhead Ortiz being booed by everyone in the stadium.

I got tired watching him.

It was nice to see Reggie pretty much call out Arod for not being in the Homerun contest. You know guys like The Mick, Reggie etc...would not have passed up the chance to be in this.

Especially at home

Giambi had the chance, and fagged out as well

Especially at home

ARod is the only one to blame. Giambi wasn't on the All-Star team, so why should he do it? The players who take part in the HR Derby are players who are actually on the All Star teams. Giambi wasn't voted in and thats why he didn't do it and you can't blame him for that. Screw MLB fans for thinking Evan Longoria is a better player than Giambi this season. What a joke.

ARod however blew a huge opportunity for the fans to like him like he says he wants to be liked.

Especially at home

Yeah Giambi wanted to do it. But I assume he didn't hang around only because he wasn't on the team.

Didn't ARod have like a 4 million dollar bonus if he won it? So I give him credit for not doing it -- if he really believed that it would mess up his swing then pass. Giambi swings like that all the time so it wouldn't have been a problem for him.

Now if ARod passed just to spend time with Madonna then screw him. :P

It was nice to see Reggie pretty much call out Arod for not being in the Homerun contest. You know guys like The Mick, Reggie etc...would not have passed up the chance to be in this.

Yeah, that's so bull how he says he think he will re-aggrevate his injury.

Yeah Giambi wanted to do it. But I assume he didn't hang around only because he wasn't on the team.

Didn't ARod have like a 4 million dollar bonus if he won it? So I give him credit for not doing it -- if he really believed that it would mess up his swing then pass. Giambi swings like that all the time so it wouldn't have been a problem for him.

Now if ARod passed just to spend time with Madonna then screw him. :P

she did ;)

I vaciliate between feeling bad for drug addicts and finding them weak and pathetic....but this guy's story is truly remarkable. How many people with that kind of potential fall into deep addiction and darkness - with a crack pipe by their side - fall so low - only to climb back up with will, love and resilience? I've attached his story. What I find almost as remarkable as his comeback, is his wife. How she stuck by him through it all. The power of love people. The power of love!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2926447

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1139201.html

Hamilton delivers on promise

71-year-old Clay Council will pitch to the All-Star during MLB's Home Run Derby

Edward G. Robinson Iii, Staff WriterComment on this story

ARLINGTON, Texas - Years ago, Josh Hamilton made a promise to Clay Council. They never shook hands or signed a contract. It was just the word of one baseball player to another.Hamilton, an Athens Drive student at the time, told Council, an American Legion volunteer coach who tossed batting practice, that if he ever reached Major League Baseball's Home Run Derby he would take him along to pitch.

Three weeks ago, Council's phone rang in his Cary home. On the other end was Hamilton, the former Athens Drive High School phenom and now major league All-Star for the Texas Rangers.

"That's the first guy I thought about," Hamilton said on Thursday after batting practice before a game against the Los Angeles Angels at Rangers Ballpark.

Hamilton added, "He's done so much for so many kids and probably hasn't got a lot of thank yous for it. This is a big thank you."

Hamilton, voted this season to his first Major League Baseball All-Star Game, called Council to remind him of the promises they made to each other years ago.

"Are you as good as your word?" Hamilton asked.

"Yeah, man," Council answered.

And so 71-year-old Clay Council will travel from the Triangle to New York on Sunday to toss pitches to the Raleigh-born Hamilton during Monday night's Major League Baseball Home Run Derby at Yankee Stadium.

"That's the plan," Council said on Wednesday. "Unless I get cold feet. I'm 71 years old. Anything can happen. You don't plan too far in advance when you're 71."

Council said Hamilton, who bats left-handed, has never had trouble hitting him, so he was a logical choice.

"Throwing to him throughout the years, he's always hit me so hard," Council said. "I would tease him, 'If you ever have a tryout or get to the Home Run Derby, you better let me throw because you wear me out.' "

There's no reason to believe Council will not put the ball on the money at the Derby. He's delivered strikes to countless young players throughout the Triangle for nearly 40 years as a volunteer coach for Cary High School and Cary American Legion teams.

The 1955 Apex High graduate has had an affinity for baseball since he played American Legion ball in Raleigh as a teenager. He would go on to play three years of rookie professional ball and two years in the Army before returning to his Morrisville hometown and joining the coaching ranks.

For years he worked with Eastern Air Lines and two years ago retired as an employee at Raleigh-Durham International Airport. He has always coached baseball, enjoying the opportunity to offer teenagers praise and guidance. He is still a volunteer coach and holds BP for anybody who wants to hit.

He first pitched to Hamilton when the future All-Star was 13 years old. The youngster tagged along with his brother, Jason, to practice with the Cary American Legion team. He took batting practice, and everyone noticed his enormous talent.

Hamilton, who would play on an American Legion team in Fuquay-Varina, never played for Council, though occasionally he joined the coach for batting practice.

Hamilton took cuts off Council maybe 25 times over the years, and the running joke -- as he mashed balls over the fence -- was always about going to the Derby.

It's taken Hamilton some time and effort to make good on his promise. There have been some major setbacks for the former No. 1 selection in the 1999 baseball draft. A three-and-a-half-year battle with alcohol and drug addiction, combined with injuries, nearly derailed his dreams of major league stardom.

Since then, he's faced his problems. He's owned up to his mistakes. He's relied on his faith and support from family and friends.

This is just Hamilton's second year in the majors. The 27-year-old was traded to the Rangers by the Cincinnati Reds in the offseason. The 6-foot-4, 235-pound outfielder is leading the majors with 93 RBIs.

During the offseason, Hamilton faced Council in the batter's box for a few practice swings. It was fitting that he invited his old friend to serve them up during the Home Run Derby.

"To be able to have him there with me and have him pitch to me means the world," Hamilton said. "There are so many people like Clay that give and give and give and never expect anything in return."

Council never expected this kind of gratitude. Not even when Hamilton joked about the possibility.

He's returning to Yankee Stadium for the second time in his life. If this trip yields half the excitement of the last, it will be worth setting the DVR.

The last time he visited New York he somehow struck upon some World Series tickets.

"You won't believe this," Council said. "But the game I saw was Don Larsen pitch a [perfect game] in 1956. ... The Yankees and the Brooklyn Dodgers."

How do you top that?

Well, you get invited to throw pitches at the Home Run Derby at the All-Star Game before millions of televised viewers.

You get invited to the All-Star Game held at Yankee Stadium during its final season.

"I don't know which will be the greatest thrill," he said. "I believe Monday night will be."

He can imagine himself out on the mound where the Babe once ruled. He'll certainly carry nerves onto the field. Perhaps sweaty palms. But his arm will be loose.

"Can you imagine an old country boy in Yankee Stadium?" Council said. "What do you say? Eat your heart out, Gomer Pyle."

edward.robinson@newsobserver.com or (919) 829-4781

he said if he did it it will mess up his swing. So you rather risk arod going in a slump for him to play in a silly homerun derby?

he said if he did it it will mess up his swing. So you rather risk arod going in a slump for him to play in a silly homerun derby?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allstar08/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3485597

The last time A-Rod took part in a Home Run Derby was 2002. Want to know how far he set his swing back that year? He damaged it so irreparably, he hit four homers in the first four games after the break.

Then he went on to bop 30 home runs in the second half. Thirty. That's more than any player in the whole sport, by the way.

Any other excuses?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allstar08/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3485597

The last time A-Rod took part in a Home Run Derby was 2002. Want to know how far he set his swing back that year? He damaged it so irreparably, he hit four homers in the first four games after the break.

Then he went on to bop 30 home runs in the second half. Thirty. That's more than any player in the whole sport, by the way.

Any other excuses?

why wasent manny in it?

Was he asked?

actually he was

http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/07/13/no-manny-in-home-run-derby/

Manny Ramirez of the Red Sox grew up in Washington Heights, near Yankee Stadium, and surpassed 500 homers this season. So Ramirez would have been a natural fit to participate in the Home Run Derby at the Stadium on Monday. But Ramirez declined the opportunity. Alex Rodriguez of the Yankees, Ramirez

People who are actually angry that A-Rod didn't take part in the derby are just looking for things to be mad about. Yeah it would have been fun if he did it, but I'm not going to go bitch and moan just because he didn't do it. If he feels like it is going to screw up his swing, then I don't blame him.

Ha. Just watching this on rewind. Not worth staying up until 4 a.m. here to watch it live. My favorite part was the guy with the Santana Moss #83 Jets jersey in the front row in right center. He got plenty of screen time during the "Jeff Maier" call. I wonder if he's a JN member. He was kind of chubby.

Ha. Just watching this on rewind. Not worth staying up until 4 a.m. here to watch it live. My favorite part was the guy with the Santana Moss #83 Jets jersey in the front row in right center. He got plenty of screen time during the "Jeff Maier" call. I wonder if he's a JN member. He was kind of chubby.

LOL, yeah I noticed that too.

Archived