New Stadium Controversy

CobraVerde

Allianz, the front-runner to secure the new stadium's naming rights, is an insurance and financial services company founded in Berlin in 1890 that moved to Munich in 1949 and had ties to n a z i Germany. Its CEO at the time, Kurt Schmitt, was Adolf Hitler's economics minister. It was the insurer of the Auschwitz death camp's facilities and personnel. Even if Allianz has tried to make restitution over the years to the families of the Holocaust victims, why should a football stadium be a reminder of the painful events that led to the murder of six million Jews? With so many Holocaust survivors in this area and ancestors of survivors or people who lost their parents or grandparents in concentration camps, it just makes no sense. Allianz has 11,000 employees in the United States, offices in New York and sponsors PGA senior golf tournaments and Formula One races. But it's the past that will prompt a damage-control campaign if Allianz remains the front-runner and wins the naming rights to the new Giants and Jets stadium. A public affairs firm has been hired by the New Meadowlands Stadium Corp., to perform due diligence on the companies interested in naming and sponsorship rights. It has been working overtime on Allianz.

New York Daily News

Wtf?? O_o

TEMPERATURES RISE OVER NEW YORK NAMING RIGHTS

Posted by Mike Florio on September 11, 2008, 9:24 a.m.

When we first heard about this one, we thought it was from the Onion. A company with ties to the ****'s could be purchasing the naming rights to the new stadium in which the New York Giants and New York Jets will play football.

But it wasn’t a joke.

Allianz is the name of the company. It provided insurance for the Auschwitz death camp, and its chief executive was a member of Adolf Hitler’s cabinet.

Folks in New York understandably are outraged, even though the company has tried hard over the past 60-plus years to make amends for its ties to the Third Reich. (”We’re sorry. We’re really, really, really, really, really, really, really sorry.”)

Coincidentally, we used to call coach Tom Coughlin the Soup ****, which might have contributed to these ill-advised comments from last year regarding the criticism he faces: “Hitler and then me, in that order. Unfortunate, but it is.”

Though Coughlin has changed, one thing is clear. Not even Colonel Klink would have been dumb enough to allow the Allianz name to grace the new $1.6 billion venue.

Personally, I could care less. You guys?

The guys on ESPN radio were talking about this and one of them (don't remember who) said that if this happens the players need to skip the showers. There was about 3 seconds of dead air after his comment- It was kinda funny in a sick way but I couldn't believe the guy said that.

All of a sudden Giants Stadium didn`t sound so bad...

I understand ths sensitivity. But Volkswagen, BMV, Daimler-Chrysler(Mercedes), Ford, GM, US Steel, a good chunks of Wall Street, telecommunications, banking and utility companies at various times all did business with Hitler's regime-over 65 years ago. Ford, GM, Volkswagen, Chysler, Mercedes and all of thoese other companies and industries sponsor and but ad time on NFL telecasts. And the Tisch family, love'em or hate'em(and many Giantas fans do hate'em over PSLs)happen to be Jewish and huge contributors to Jewish causes and charities.

This is silly manufactured outrage. I wish they had an Ameircan company sponsor it, like Budweiser or Miller. Then again, they are now subsidiaries of Belgian and South African companies, respectively.

Jesus Christ.....can anyone NOT have their feelings hurt anymore. For crying out loud, this country has absolutely turned into a bunch of spineless pansies.

OK I get it, Allianz did business with the Na.z.is. Well hell, do any of you wear Swiss watches, because if you do, did you know they helped keep the ****s' finances? How many fellow Catholics are out there with me? We all remember what a bang up job Pope Pius XII did speaking out against the holocaust and protecting the jews. The University of Michigan, obvious Anti-Semites, for wearing jerseys manufactured by Addias. And you golfers out there with the Taylor Made drivers? BAd news, they're owned by Addias. Na-z-i golfers you!

Enough of this bull4hiit once and for all, for the love of god.!!!!!!

You know what? If the company was ran by an actual **** and they wanted to call it Zyklon-B Field at The Final Solution Stadium, you might have a valid argument.

Going bat guano over Allianz being in the name. Pathetic and Absurd!

Jesus Christ.....can anyone NOT have their feelings hurt anymore. For crying out loud, this country has absolutely turned into a bunch of spineless pansies.

OK I get it, Allianz did business with the Na.z.is. Well hell, do any of you wear Swiss watches, because if you do, did you know they helped keep the ****s' finances? How many fellow Catholics are out there with me? We all remember what a bang up job Pope Pius XII did speaking out against the holocaust and protecting the jews. The University of Michigan, obvious Anti-Semites, for wearing jerseys manufactured by Addias. And you golfers out there with the Taylor Made drivers? BAd news, they're owned by Addias. Na-z-i golfers you!

You know what? If the company was ran by an actual **** and they wanted to call it Zyklon-B Field at The Final Solution Stadium, you might have a valid argument.

I work for a Swiss company and my clubs are Taylor Made. Maybe I'll quit my job and

give up golf!......not!

POTW nom (through proper channels of course) for a classic GOB rant.

Toyota built automobiles for Japan's army in WWII, the same Japanese army that committed atrocities all over China including the now infamous Rape of Nanking. Should we boycott them? BMW first made airplanes for Germany that were used throughout the blitzkrieg all over Europe. Should we boycott that as well? I can pretty much take a wild guess that not one current Allianz employee, board of director, or officer of the company has n-a-z-i aspirations. It's ridiculous and just highlights the overly sensitive pussification of America even further.

Artfully said, nice work. I really believe that people have (or make themselves have) too much free time.

Toyota built automobiles for Japan's army in WWII, the same Japanese army that committed atrocities all over China including the now infamous Rape of Nanking. Should we boycott them? BMW first made airplanes for Germany that were used throughout the blitzkrieg all over Europe. Should we boycott that as well? I can pretty much take a wild guess that not one current Allianz employee, board of director, or officer of the company has n-a-z-i aspirations. It's ridiculous and just highlights the overly sensitive pussification of America even further.

I'm not giving up my beemer. F that! :P

Awesome post, and couldn't agree more. This is truly the United States of the Whiners, or alternatively United States of the Offended.

I can pretty much take a wild guess that not one current Allianz employee, board of director, or officer of the company has n-a-z-i aspirations.

I doubt that. It is a big company. And there are plenty of neo n-azis in germany. The odds of not one of them being a neo n-a-z-i is highly unlikely, I bet the company has several. I would say the same of GM or any large company by the way.

well, there are american banks with connections to slavery, and I bet you can trace any company that is over 100 years old to some unsavory shennanigans

with that said, it's a sign of the times that a foreign company is invloved, with the weak dollar, and weaker economy, I can't think of too many US companies with millions to burn on a sign

Archived