Yankees fielding offers for Nady, Swisher

NIGHT STALKER

Maybe Yanks are trying to free up space for..."Manny being Manny"? That would be unreal. :rl:

Jon Heyman SI...04:26 PM ET 01.07

The Yankees are fielding trade offers for corner outfielders Xavier Nady and Nick Swisher. There's been some speculation they might consider trading Hideki Matsui, too, but he has a full no-trade clause and is coming off knee surgery, so there's really no way to trade him.

A logjam at the corners was created when the Yankees surprised a lot of folks and signed Mark Teixeira to an eight-year, $180 million contract. Swisher previously had been penciled in as the Yankees' first baseman but now becomes part of a crowded mix of accomplished corner outfielders. Swisher is a versatile player and can play some center field, as well. Some National League teams may be interested. However, Nady's trade value is higher after a better offensive season, so he may be just as likely to be dealt. Nady, acquired by the Yankees in a midseason trade with the Pirates, combined to hit .305 with 25 home runs and 97 RBIs for the year, while Swisher finished at .219 with 24 home runs and 69 RBIs for the White Sox before being dealt to the Yankees after the season.

Johnny Damon isn't in the trade mix, as the Yankees need him to be their leadoff hitter and part of a center field rotation. The other in-house candidates for center field are Melky Cabrera and Brett Gardner.

Bringing Manny in is just plain stupid. They are all set right now and they have a decent defensive team. Moving Damon to CF for more offense makes no sense at all. Scoring runs will not be the issue as they are set up right now.

WTF leave Nady alone! He's a good hitter.

STUPID, if they want Manny they can still get him.

Don't understand why you'd dump a good, young, productive guys who's in a contract year and can actually field an outfield spot. The Yanks are going to ahve to play Gardner in center if they deal him because otherwise the corners will be manned by old butchers-Damon, Matsui or that Dominican guy who used to play for the Sawx.

I don't get shopping Nady around either. I thought he looked great for you guys last season, and honestly will be glad if he's gone. Swisher on the other hand? Yanks are better off getting the best they can for him and parting ways, even though he hasn't swung at a single pitch yet lol.

If you can get Manny, you get Manny. Period.

Seriously.

If I'm not mistaken Damon, Matsui, and Nady are all in contract years. That's at least 30 million off the books next year. I don't think it would be smart to try and replace them all at the same time. I'd sign Manny and trade Matsui to somebody if it was possible.

I know I'll get blasted for this... but keep Swisher, trade Nady. He's due a lot of money in arbitration if he goes there, which he wont' cause he's a Boras client. Nady is a little sexier to other teams because he has played quite well in the NL and I believe if a small market club picks him up they'd receive draft picks next year. I like Nady a lot, but I could live with Swisher in the outfield. JMO.

Getting rid of Nady would be the dumbest move ever!!

The Mets and Braves were among the teams that were interested in Nick Swisher before he was traded from the White Sox to the Yankees, and Swisher is definitely available again and so is Xavier Nady. Best offer between now and spring training probably gets one or the other. If I had to bet, the fact that Swisher is signed to a reasonable contract for the next three years and Nady is a free agent in a year makes Nady slightly more expendable from the Yankee point of view. Also, keeping Nady even in the short term means an arbitration case against Scott Boras, never a fun deal for an organization.

I still dont trust the Yankees lineup. Manny is a guaranteed lock to hit. I cant say that about anyone else probably other than Tex.

Correct and what's to say Nady doesn't bring back a 5th starter or a CF.

Manny and a legit CF makes the Yankees a complete team.

Everyone forgets that Tex while a no brainer does not replace BOTH Giambi and Abreu's numbers.

Neither does Swisher or Nady.

Matsui ,Posada, Swisher could all have bounce back years and if so the Yanks will be very good. If not the Yanks are worse offensively than last years team.

IMO with the money being thrown around, grab Manny as a sure thing and move the excess corner outfielders and put CF to bed.

The Mets should also be all over Manny or at least Abreu.

If you can get Manny, you get Manny. Period.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I CAN drop acid during my next law school exam, but should I? An acid trip might be great fun, but my exam room is neither the time nor the place for it.

It isn't the time or place for Manny either.

The Yankees issue is that we're weak up the middle...

Middle infield defense is mediocre. Catcher is a question mark -- if Posada doesn't come back 100%, we're still a year or two away from our best catching prospects being Major League ready. OH, and lets not forget the giant gaping hole in CF (you don't REALLY think that Damon is the answer in CF, do you?)...

No, Manny is unproductive money.

Ok, ya'll are going to laugh me out of the thread for this... but what about:

Swisher to the Texas Rangers for Michael Young. Play Young at either SS or 2B and move either Cano or Jeter to CF.

Young is a career .300 hitter and a 5 time all-star at SS. He won a gold glove as well. Of course, he's also 32, which is not a great age for a SS/2B, but he may still be a defensive improvement.

Cano or Jeter in CF? :face:

What is wrong with this Defensive Lineup?

LF - Manny

CF - Matsui / Damon

RF - Nady / Matsui

3B - Choke-Rod

SS - Jeter

2B - Cano

1B - Teixeria

C - Posada

P - Sabathia, Burnett, Wang, Chamberlain, Hughes

Ok, ya'll are going to laugh me out of the thread for this... but what about:

Swisher to the Texas Rangers for Michael Young. Play Young at either SS or 2B and move either Cano or Jeter to CF.

Young is a career .300 hitter and a 5 time all-star at SS. He won a gold glove as well. Of course, he's also 32, which is not a great age for a SS/2B, but he may still be a defensive improvement.

Where's the incentive for the Rangers on this deal? Michael Young is 10x the player Nick Swisher is.

Lastings Millege? To play CF?

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I CAN drop acid during my next law school exam, but should I? An acid trip might be great fun, but my exam room is neither the time nor the place for it.

It isn't the time or place for Manny either.

If you are going to get Milledge and all his issues, might as well get a proven hitter and get Manny

Cano or Jeter in CF? :face:

What is wrong with this Defensive Lineup?

LF - Manny

CF - Matsui / Damon

RF - Nady / Matsui

3B - Choke-Rod

SS - Jeter

2B - Cano

1B - Teixeria

C - Posada

P - Sabathia, Burnett, Wang, Chamberlain, Hughes

Defensively? Everything.

You'd have the worst defensive LF, without argument. Matsui would be one of the worst defensive CF in the league, and doesn't have the arm for RF either. Damon has no arm, so he's weak in CF. Jeter is among the worst defensive SS these days, according to some. Cano is too lackadaisical at 2b...

You're strongest defensive positions are 1B and maybe 3B.

You've got to be kidding me. That is a horrible lineup.

Where's the incentive for the Rangers on this deal? Michael Young is 10x the player Nick Swisher is and 300X the player Kennedy is.

The incentive is partly that Young wants out, and is being a little bitch about switching to 3rd.

That said the latest reports think that the Rangers are looking for a young 3B as part of a deal. Also, Young has said he'd be willing to move back to 2B.

What about tossing in Eric Duncan? He used to be sought after...

Maybe they can offer Nady and Swish for someone. A starting CFer or a decent starter/reliever.

I'd prefer a CF over a SP. Unless people think that AJax is definitely going to be ready and good either later this year or next.

Archived