Pre-Combine 5 Round Mock

New York Mick

Since I bashed someone else's mock I figured it was only right for me to do my own and I do about 4 a year :D

Cut -

Brett Farve - I think this is what he wants and what he had planned on all along and it frees up much needed cap room.

Resign -

Brett Ratliff - Let him, Clemens, Carr and Painter battle for the starting job.

Tony Richardson - He still has a year or two left in him.

Mike Nugent - It's really a coin toss between him and Feely.

Wallace Wright - Depth

David Clowney - Depth

CJ Mosley - Depth

FA Signings -

QB - David Carr - There aren't many FA QBs worth looking at this year and Carr has played on some bad teams so I don't think he's as bad as his stats. If anything it gives us a cheap vet to fall back on.

ILB - Bart Scott - One of the Ravens LBs are coming here and I think Scott is going to be the one. He knows Ryan and Pettine and their system as well as being a huge upgrade to our ILBs.

Draft -

1st - WR - Darrius Heyward Bey, Maryland - 6'3'' 205lbs

He has NFL size and is one of the fastest WRs in this years draft. The Jets need someone to stretch the field and make big plays and DHB is perfect for it. Him and Washington returning kicks will be fun to watch.

2nd - S - Sean Smith, Utah - 6'3'' 215lbs

He has good size and speed and plays the run as well as he does the pass. We need to upgrade our DBs and Smith can play both S and CB so I think he's a good fit for us.

3rd - DE - Robert Ayers, Tennessee - 6'3'' 273lbs

With a ton of DEs in the draft a few are going to fall. Ayers doesn't have great speed but he has the size to play 3-4 DE. He didn't get a lot of sacks but he can hold his own against the run and get into the back field. Him eating up blockers will help our OLBs get to the QB.

4th - RB - Rashad Jennings, Liberty - 6'1'' 234lbs

This guy could be a steal in the 4th. He has great size and speed and will get noticed at the combine even though he played in 1-AA. Jones is getting old and we need a powerback to play alone side Washington. Jones has one or two good years left and that will give Jennings time to adapt to the NFL form 1AA.

4th - ILB - Jasper Brinkley, S Carolina - 6'2'' 267lbs

He was on his way to a first round pick until he ****ed up his knee 07. Getting him in the 4th is well worth the chance (of course after a med exam). He played the whole year without knee trouble so I think it healed fine. He'll add depth to Scott and Harris.

5th - QB - Curtis Painter, Purdue - 6'4'' 223lbs

I've seen this guy ranked all over the place going from the 3rd till the 7th round. He has everthing that is needed to be good in the NFL size, arm strength, quick release and accuracy. It's hard to tell how good he is because Purdue's program suck. He won't be around in the 5th if he does good at the combine.

Ok, there's my first mock of the year. A lot earlier then needed but like I said I bashed our peoples so it's only fair for me to put up one.

I would have done all 7 rounds but that last two picks would have been a OL and DL that I never heard of.

1st - WR - Darrius Heyward Bey, Maryland - 6'3'' 205lbs

He has NFL size and is one of the fastest WRs in this years draft. The Jets need someone to stretch the field and make big plays and DHB is perfect for it. Him and Washington returning kicks will be fun to watch.

2nd - S - Sean Smith, Utah - 6'3'' 215lbs

He has good size and speed and plays the run as well as he does the pass. We need to upgrade our DBs and Smith can play both S and CB so I think he's a good fit for us.

=D> =D> =D>

:yes: :yes: :yes:

Best Jets 1st & 2nd round picks out there so far.

Good first crack, Mick. It's cool when you make football related posts. It's like someone hijacked your account. :D

Anyway, I agree that Favre is gone and Carr could fill the "veteran battling for the starting job" in the QB competition.

I think Feely stays over Nugent. Nugent was a Bradway pick while Feely was a Tannenbaum signing.

I also think the Jets sign the S from the Ravens (Jim Leonhard) signs with the team, so I don't believe the Jets would go S in the 2nd round. Painter is an intriguing pick, but that will mean 5 QBs battling out for 3 spots with Painter being at a sever disadvantage because unless Ainge completely sucks, he'd get the nod over Painter IMO.

I like it Mick, Heyward is exactly the type of WR we need.

Love Sean Smith, he is going to be a stud IMO. The kid is just a physical player. I think Kerry will benefit from someone who can play the pass as well as he can.

I dont like Ayers, being a FL fan I have seen a lot of him. He is just a space eater and doesnt do any one thing particullary well. Yes maybe our LB'ers can benefit from his size, but we dont need another Kenyon Coleman and a 3rd pick is too valuable to be drafting a guy that potentially cant make plays in the NFL.

Jennings I have been seeing a lot of. He seems like a good counter option to Leon. Must say I havent see a lot of tape on him yet.

It shocks me some of the rounds that I have been seeing Brinkley getting picked in. If he falls that far he is a steal IMO. The guy dominated w/ game****s. Harris, Scott, Brinkley would be nasty.

Painter is an interesting pick, but we would have a ton of so so Qb's on our roster if we draft him.

Nice job, I could get on board with that.

I really like the Sean Smith pick. With his size and ball skills, he could be a special player.

{edit} But I think taking a QB this year, unless Stafford or Sanchez drops, would be a mistake. We already have three young QBs, adding another one just clogs the depth chart and takes reps away from the others unless you know he's the future.

I figured we weren't lucky enough to get Scott and Leonhard so I went with Scott.

As far as taking a QB this year, we have a handfull of young QB that were not sure if they can play or not so we'll need a vet as well as getting someone that might make it as an NFL QB in the draft. If we have a chance to get Painter I think we should. I figure Stafford or Sanchez will be gone before we pick and Painter has the needed tools. Clemens looks like he'll be a career back up and Ainge could be nothing more then a PS player.

I figured we weren't lucky enough to get Scott and Leonhard so I went with Scott.

As far as taking a QB this year, we have a handfull of young QB that were not sure if they can play or not so we'll need a vet as well as getting someone that might make it as an NFL QB in the draft. If we have a chance to get Painter I think we should. I figure Stafford or Sanchez will be gone before we pick and Painter has the needed tools. Clemens looks like he'll be a career back up and Ainge could be nothing more then a PS player.

If we pick up Carr and draft Painter that means we have Clemens, Ratliff, Ainge, Carr and Painter.

That seems like an excesive amount of **** to me.

If we pick up Carr and draft Painter that means we have Clemens, Ratliff, Ainge, Carr and Painter.

I agree but I don't think we'll be keeping all of them. Carr is the vet, we need to see if Ratliff can play if not he's another back up, I don't think Clemens can so he's a back up one of them can be cut. Ainge we can get rid of which leaves Painter as the long shot future hope as a starter.

Carr - One or two years starter

Ratliff/Clemens - One as a back up cut the other

Painter - Rookie with all the tools and a high ceiling.

Cut Ainge

That's only 3 :D

If you don't have a good starting QB I think you need to take a chance and grab one in the draft and a 5th round pick isn't that bad to take a chance on.

I agree. The Jets can't continue to take QBs late in the draft and hope that one works out. Either take the franchise QB high, or let one of the QBs on the roster develop.

I agree. The Jets can't continue to take QBs late in the draft and hope that one works out. Either take the franchise QB high, or let one of the QBs on the roster develop.

Problem with this years draft is there aren't many QBs that are worth a 1st or 2nd round pick and we have another needs to fill and there are good players at those spots. I think Painter has a very high ceiling and might be one of the better QBs in this draft so it's worth a 5th round pick.

I'm not sure what else we could do, there's no FA QB worth the money or long term starters out there and the draft doesn't have ****all this year for talent and I think Painter could be good.

I agree but I don't think we'll be keeping all of them. Carr is the vet, we need to see if Ratliff can play if not he's another back up, I don't think Clemens can so he's a back up one of them can be cut. Ainge we can get rid of which leaves Painter as the long shot future hope as a starter.

Carr - One or two years starter

Ratliff/Clemens - One as a back up cut the other

Painter - Rookie with all the tools and a high ceiling.

Cut Ainge

That's only 3 :D

If you don't have a good starting QB I think you need to take a chance and grab one in the draft and a 5th round pick isn't that bad to take a chance on.

imo....if you don't have a good starting qb and you can't pick one up via FA or trade then you have to seriously think about drafting one with a 1st or 2nd round pick....not the 5th.

Problem with this years draft is there aren't many QBs that are worth a 1st or 2nd round pick and we have another needs to fill and there are good players at those spots. I think Painter has a very high ceiling and might be one of the better QBs in this draft so it's worth a 5th round pick.

I'm not sure what else we could do, there's no FA QB worth the money or long term starters out there and the draft doesn't have ****all this year for talent and I think Painter could be good.

It really doesn't make much sense to me to take another developmental QB. I understand that you think he's going to be good, but he really has no more upside than any of the guys on our roster right now.

What I meant by take the franchise QB in the 1st round was that if there is a QB the FO likes that much, they should get him in the first -- be it Stafford, Sanchez or Freeman -- he's probably significantly more talented than any of the guys we have and more talented than other QBs in the draft. I think they should avoid that position all together, but I'd be OK with them going after the guy they believe is the future of this team. Curtis Painter, while talented, isn't going early in this draft for a reason.

The Jets kind of put all their eggs in one, old basket with Favre. They knew that the QB position was going to be a question in the future. I'm sure that taking a QB in the 5th round of this year's draft isn't the solution they're looking for.

imo....if you don't have a good starting qb and you can't pick one up via FA or trade then you have to seriously think about drafting one with a 1st or 2nd round pick....not the 5th.

I agree but who? Freeman is the only one we'll have a chance to get in the first without moving up and chances are he'll be gone by the time we pick in the second so again we'd have to move up. We either take him in the first which is a reach unless he does really well at the combine or we wait and pick up a later round QB with the best chance of being a good NFL player.

I wasn't going to even put a QB in the draft but I think Painter is worth a shot in the 5th. He didn't play at a school like Tennesse so we didn't get to see him play with a good line or WRs. IMO Ainge is a waste of roster space and Clemens and Ratliff are one in the same so it's worth a 5th round pick IMO.

Most players in taken in the 5th round are jags, backup or cut other then FBs which we don't need this year so taking a QB with potenial make since to me.

All QBS are developmental when they first get into the NFL and QBs from good programs don't always make good NFL QBs.

Did you read the rest of the post or did you just stop after that sentence?

It's stating the obvious to say that every QB drafted is a developmental project. Every player is a developmental project.

I never said the QB has to come from a great program, and I certainly never said that all good programs make good NFL QBs, I even mentioned Freeman who comes from Kansas State. Not your traditional QB powerhouse.

My point is that Painter isn't looked at as a top QB prospect. He's not going in the first half of the draft, despite the need for the position, because he isn't viewed by scouts as a player who's going to have great success in the NFL.

Does that mean he'll never amount to anything? No, of course not. But chances are, he'll never amount to anything, just like most QBs taken late in the draft. Should we draft him because he has a chance to become Tom Brady? No. It's more likely that he'll be out of the league in 5 years.

Here's where we disagree: You think he's worth the risk. I think he's a waste of a pick because we already have 3 QBs just like him.

That pick could be used on a player to 'develop' for several other positions where we're lacking depth -- OL, DL, DB, RB, or LB. Those positions are much more likely to actually contribute since only 1 QB plays at a time.

Did you read the rest of the post or did you just stop after that sentence?

It's stating the obvious to say that every QB drafted is a developmental project. Every player is a developmental project.

I never said the QB has to come from a great program, and I certainly never said that all good programs make good NFL QBs, I even mentioned Freeman who comes from Kansas State. Not your traditional QB powerhouse.

My point is that Painter isn't looked at as a top QB prospect. He's not going in the first half of the draft, despite the need for the position, because he isn't viewed by scouts as a player who's going to have great success in the NFL.

Does that mean he'll never amount to anything? No, of course not. But chances are, he'll never amount to anything, just like most QBs taken late in the draft. Should we draft him because he has a chance to become Tom Brady? No. It's more likely that he'll be out of the league in 5 years.

Here's where we disagree: You think he's worth the risk. I think he's a waste of a pick because we already have 3 QBs just like him.

That pick could be used on a player to 'develop' for several other positions where we're lacking depth -- OL, DL, DB, RB, or LB. Those positions are much more likely to actually contribute since only 1 QB plays at a time.

Fair enough, I just don't think the QBs we have are going to amount to anything so I figure it's worth the chance to replace them. If there was a QB that was worth taking in the first I would have put him there. I also would have taken a QB with our second if there was one that would be worth taking there but this year is a weak QB class.

I do agree that we could use our 5th round pick to take another position that we could use as depth but I think Painter has what it takes to be a good NFL QB so I'm sticking with him for know. After the combine I'll do another mock.

Fair enough, I just don't think the QBs we have are going to amount to anything so I figure it's worth the chance to replace them. If there was a QB that was worth taking in the first I would have put him there. I also would have taken a QB with our second if there was one that would be worth taking there but this year is a weak QB class.

I do agree that we could use our 5th round pick to take another position that we could use as depth but I think Painter has what it takes to be a good NFL QB so I'm sticking with him for know. After the combine I'll do another mock.

I'm not trying to change your mind, I just wanted to explain why I think if the Jets took a QB in the 5th round it's like flushing the pick down the toilet. Taking Painter in the 4th or 5th round makes sense for a team like Seattle, one that has a guy in place, but might need a starter in 3 or 4 years. The Jets need one now, and don't have the reps to give away to another kid.

I'm looking forward to your next mock because I really did like the other picks.

You bash my mock then that's what you come up with? Wow.

Take the rawest receiver at the 17th pick, I'll laugh my ass off if you guys do that. And Sean Smith isn't lasting that long; he's one of the premiere corners in the draft. You probably wouldn't even get a crack at Ayers in the 2nd round, yet you have him falling to you in the 3rd.

This whole mock is predicated on wishful thinking and pipe dreams.

I hate to agree with the fin fan, but, taking Bey at 17 is like going to a grocery store to get meat and walking out with spam cause it was there when you walked in the door. Yes he's a good receiver and yes we could use speed but he'd be nothing better than a 3rd or 4th WR he is not in the position to step up and be the go to guy. Also I've said it before we need a sure fire talent at WR if we are picking at 17 regardless of height, a WR does not have to be over 6' to be successful it's helpful but not the be all end all.

Smith if he's there is a good choice no problems there

Ayers seems a little too small, a 3-4 DE should be built more like a 4-3 DT he should have another 20lbs on his frame.

Jennings I love great low risk possible high reward pick

Anybody with a bad injury scares me regardless of talent, that being said we have a ton of depth at LB already what we don't have is a starter Scott fills that need so this pick would be better used on a top notch FB who can be our Le'ron Mclain type guy. T-Rich is not going to stick around forever bring a young guy in now and have him learn at the feet of a master.

Another QB project...no thanks we want less QB's on the roster not more Cut one of Ainge, Ratliff and Clemens, sign a vet and go from there.

Take the rawest receiver at the 17th pick, I'll laugh my ass off if you guys do that. And Sean Smith isn't lasting that long; he's one of the premiere corners in the draft. You probably wouldn't even get a crack at Ayers in the 2nd round, yet you have him falling to you in the 3rd.

Much better to grab them at 9?

There is one huge difference between my mock and yours, I'm not doing a mock of a rival team on a rival message board.

Daid Carr? Please no!

Apart from that it's a pretty good mock. I do worry about Heyward-Bey. The guy has great upside but is incredibly raw. Wouldn't mind us taking a shot on him though. I would take Maclin ahead of Heyward-Bey if given the option.

I picked David Carr because there's really no QBs in FA this year worth taking and we need a vet QB so it was either Carr or Leftwich (SP?) and I think Carr is better at this point.

Take the rawest receiver at the 17th pick, I'll laugh my ass off if you guys do that.

If you think Heyward-Bey lasts past Round 1, I'll laugh my ass off at you for thinking that. As raw as he may be, he has the talent and skill to become great. It is okay to pick raw players with high ceilings in Round 1, as long as you arn't doing it in the Top 10. But hey, maybe we should pick a college superstar like Teddy Ginn Jr, a career 3rd WR whose had one great game sandwhiched in between 31 average or crap games.

I agree but who? Freeman is the only one we'll have a chance to get in the first without moving up and chances are he'll be gone by the time we pick in the second so again we'd have to move up. We either take him in the first which is a reach unless he does really well at the combine or we wait and pick up a later round QB with the best chance of being a good NFL player.

I wasn't going to even put a QB in the draft but I think Painter is worth a shot in the 5th. He didn't play at a school like Tennesse so we didn't get to see him play with a good line or WRs. IMO Ainge is a waste of roster space and Clemens and Ratliff are one in the same so it's worth a 5th round pick IMO.

Most players in taken in the 5th round are jags, backup or cut other then FBs which we don't need this year so taking a QB with potenial make since to me.

we'll have to see what happens at the combinie but 2 qb's workouts i'll be paying attention to are rhett bomar and graham harell.

Let me get this straight: nobody on this thread really has any faith in Clemens, Ratliff or Ainge. If one of them steps up-great. But nobody is holding their breath.

Nobody thinks there is any QB's in the draft worth a first round or even a second round draft choice.

Nobody thinks there any free agent QB's out there who are any good.

Remind me again: We are eager to get rid of Favre-why?

Let me get this straight: nobody on this thread really has any faith in Clemens, Ratliff or Ainge. If one of them steps up-great. But nobody is holding their breath.

Nobody thinks there is any QB's in the draft worth a first round or even a second round draft choice.

Nobody thinks there any free agent QB's out there who are any good.

Remind me again: We are eager to get rid of Favre-why?

I have no faith in Ainge, never did, I lost faith in Clemens, have hope for Ratliff. If one of them steps up yes great, I really hope one of them does.

You miss read that. There are no QBs that are going to be around at 17 worth taking at this point. Stafford and Sanchez are both worth a top ten pick but we don't have one. No one else is worth the 17th pick after that.

There aren't any FA QBs out there that we can bring in for 3 to 5 years to be our starter there either to old, going to be resigned or are back ups. Ratliff is one of the top ranked FA QBs and we already have him.

I don't want to get rid of Farve I think Farve wants to get rid of us.

Archived