More Speculation: Jets may have traded for Jon Kitna [Merged 2X]

JMJ

This would be like the Patrick Ramsey trade.

John Kitna WILL NOT be the Jets starting QB unless Clemens AND Ratliff suck. Kitna is purely training camp/preseason competition.

If the trade happens, it would likely be a conditional 6th or 7th rounder. The Jets trade a 6th or 7th rounder this year and if Kitna doesn't make the team (which the Jets hope because they want Clemens or Ratliff to be the starter) then the Jets will get a 6th or 7th rounder in 2010. We've seen this happen before.

The bottom line is that Kitna is Clemens & Ratliff suckage insurance.

You really couldn't have a better situation. If the Jets brought in another vet he'd likely expect to start. Kitna will know he has to battle for the job.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This would be like the Patrick Ramsey trade.

John Kitna WILL NOT be the Jets starting QB unless Clemens AND Ratliff suck. Kitna is purely training camp/preseason competition.

If the trade happens, it would likely be a conditional 6th or 7th rounder. The Jets trade a 6th or 7th rounder this year and if Kitna doesn't make the team (which the Jets hope because they want Clemens or Ratliff to be the starter) then the Jets will get a 6th or 7th rounder in 2010. We've seen this happen before.

The bottom line is that Kitna is Clemens & Ratliff suckage insurance.

You really couldn't have a better situation. If the Jets brought in another vet he'd likely expect to start. Kitna will know he has to battle for the job.

if you are going to bring in a vet, bring one that can play!!!

why waste a draft pick on a stiff?????????

Leftwich would be cheap and free and is only 29

If Kitty cat is on team and plays, hello Atlanta Falcons

I am 50 and on the downhill slide....F the jets FO if this POS is traded for.

Anyone know what Kitna's salary+bonus are for 2009? I can't find anything - or anything I like. If the Jets are giving up a late pick to pay Kitna something in the $3M range for the year, I don't like the move.

Dude, if the Jets traded as much as a Gravy Boat for Jon "Christ is my co-pilot" Kitna, I will sever my own penis.

Seriously, if they did that, I'm not watching one F__KING game this year.

i know Jets fans complain...but jesus christ man...youre the KING OF BITCHING...

doesent mean hes gonna start...

He would have a 50% chance.

Its between Clemens and Kitna (if rumors are true) with Ratliff outside looking in. If Kitna is in fact brought in, that tells me that Ratliff doest have what it takes to compete with Clemens for the job.

Ratliff has never had an NFL start and would be competing vs an 11 season Vet and a guy whose been on the roster (like Cassel) for a few years now.

He hasn't retired yet

Don't be suprised if he comes back....I won't

he must have sent the papers in or the jets would have to cut him march 1

I think he is retired, and since he isn't a jets icon, and there is no cap impact , if he tries to send his papers in to the commish in july, the jets will just cut him the same day

Who gives a crap he's not starting, he's bumping clemens to 3, Ainge is gone. We could do a LOT worse at backup QB than John Kitna, a LOT worse.

It Rat- Time, fellas, who gives a dammm what journeyman has a clipboard in his hand.

this post is bumpable for up tp 10 years.

Its between Clemens and Kitna (if rumors are true) with Ratliff outside looking in. If Kitna is in fact brought in, that tells me that Ratliff doest have what it takes to compete with Clemens for the job.

Ratliff has never had an NFL start and would be competing vs an 11 season Vet and a guy whose been on the roster (like Cassel) for a few years now.

Bro, I could feel the terror in your post you are trerrified of The Rat. The Brady Era's Over. Chad will rust away and The Rat will be king in the division. Just analyze your post, it stinks of fear.

if you are going to bring in a vet, bring one that can play!!!

why waste a draft pick on a stiff?????????

Leftwich would be cheap and free and is only 29

If Kitty cat is on team and plays, hello Atlanta Falcons

I am 50 and on the downhill slide....F the jets FO if this POS is traded for.

But, af, the Jets DO NOT want the vet to start. Thus, bringing in Leftwich is a waste. Plus, Leftwich would not want to come because he knows it's (1) a stacked deck against him, and (2) if he fails to win the job he'll be cut.

Bro, I could feel the terror in your post you are trerrified of The Rat. The Brady Era's Over. Chad will rust away and The Rat will be king in the division. Just analyze your post, it stinks of fear.

:rl:

I like your sense of humor.

The fear you percieve is Tanny regarding his job. He was successful in placing all the blame on Mangini.

But, Ryan has proven he can win with good players. If the Jets dont start winning ASAP, the common denominator in losing will be none other than Tanny.

Dude, if the Jets traded as much as a Gravy Boat for Jon "Christ is my co-pilot" Kitna, I will sever my own penis.

Seriously, if they did that, I'm not watching one F__KING game this year.

If we were stupid enough to grab Kitna it should be like our deal with DRob to Denver. He plays and we wind up owing Detroit nothing.

I find your incite into the Jets doings very touching. Troll :roll:

Because Kitna is making less than anything the Jets would have to pay for a veteran.

How much is he making? I know the Lions are looking to get out from under a $1M roster bonus, but what's his 2009 salary? I'm not so sure it's a great deal financially.

umm i think thats a pretty good pickup. late round picks are peanuts, especially for getting a veteran with starting experience. much better than drafting some POS like an erik ainge because if his back is still out of whack and he sucks, he'll be cut. at least we might have a good backup qb and if he beats out Jesus Christ aka Brett Ratliff, Erik Ainge (he should be using roids that lanky POS) and Kellen Clemens, well, that will be self explanatory.

How much is he making? I know the Lions are looking to get out from under a $1M roster bonus, but what's his 2009 salary? I'm not so sure it's a great deal financially.

link?

Kitna signed a 4 year $11 million deal in 2006 with a $3.5 million signing bonus. That's a $2.75 million average. But with the $3.5 million bonus in 2006, his average is about $2.5 million for years 2 to 4. With this year's roster bonus of $500K or $1 million, his base would be under $2 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2368184

1M roster, and 1.95M base.

That isn't bad for Kellen's veteran insurance policy.

I guess. I don't know how I feel about it. If it happens, I hope it's for no more than a 7th rounder. I'd really prefer it be for a conditional 2010 pick based on playing time - hoping that Kitna gets none.

Is he that much better than Fitzpatrick or Losman that he's worth a pick and $3M? Especially given his age?

Spokesman: the Lions did NOT trade Jon Kitna to the Jets

A rumor hit the Internet Saturday morning that the Jets had traded a late-round draft choice to the Lions for veteran quarterback Jon Kitna.

A Lions spokesman, according to mlive.com, said that wasn't the case.

"It's not true,'' the spokesman, Bill Keenist, told reporter Tom Kowalski.

As Kowalski points out in his story, any team interested in Kitna will likely wait until he is released - a probability - so they don't have to pay the bonus he is due and/or forfeit a draft choice.

There was a humorous angle to the rumor as Rex Ryan was asked precisely about the possibility of bringing in a veteran quarterback Friday morning at the Combine and all but dismissed it.

"Really, the first thing I would think is,

yes it is he suckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkssssssssssss

He played in Detroit with no running game (until this year when Marinelli and him didn't get along) and with only one receiver and with a piss poor Offensive Line.

In 2006 & 2007 he threw for 4,000+ yards, in Detroit.

He would be one of the top veteran insurance policies in the league.

Archived