More Speculation: Jets may have traded for Jon Kitna [Merged 2X]

JMJ

http://det.scout.com/a.z?s=93&p=9&c=...=3698765&fhn=1

RoarReport.com has learned that the Detroit Lions may have dealt veteran quarterback Jon Kitna to the New York Jets in exchange for a late-round draft choice.

A league source informed RoarReport.com of the deal late Thursday night, but thus far we have not been able to confirm the report.

Kitna, who is due a roster bonus March 1 worth $500,000 or $1 million, wasn't expected to return in Detroit for 2009, an assumption that was nearly clinched when the team restructured the contract of veteran Daunte Culpepper.

It is expected that the Lions will prepare for the regular season with Culpepper as the starter, along with former second-round pick Drew Stanton and possibly re-signing Dan Orlovsky. The team also harbors the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, which many believe will be used to select Georgia signal caller Matt Stafford or USC's Mark Sanchez.

Kitna turns 37 in September, and has spent the previous three years in Detroit. He tossed for over 4,000 yards in both 2006 and 2007, before what some considered a "phantom" back injury ended his 2008 campaign. Privately, Kitna was disgruntled with Detroit's new offensive philosophy following two years of relative success under guru Mike Martz.

He claimed in an interview with Free Press columnist Mitch Albom that his health was fine.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dude, if the Jets traded as much as a Gravy Boat for Jon "Christ is my co-pilot" Kitna, I will sever my own penis.

Seriously, if they did that, I'm not watching one F__KING game this year.

doesent mean hes gonna start...

he did have good seasons in 06 and 07 but was hurt last year.

when you throw 4,000 plus yards in detroit, you have some skill.

I still like ratliff though.

doesent mean hes gonna start...

he did have good seasons in 06 and 07 but was hurt last year.

when you throw 4,000 plus yards in detroit, you have some skill.

I still like ratliff though.

Well unless they're looking for a veteran presence to teach the youngsters how to throw picks and take sacks, PASS

Well unless they're looking for a veteran presence to teach the youngsters how to throw picks and take sacks, PASS

For the Olines he has had he doesnt get sacked that much... most years were about average with a couple really bad years...

Also he has basically played on bad teams his whole career and still managed to have one more TD than INTs... considering the teams he played on... thats really not bad...

Is he great...? No... but he sure has some things he can teach the young guys for cheap... and would be able to step in and start at a moments notice...

Put me in the minority, but I'd like to see what Kitna could do with a semi-decent team.

I agree with you here. What is the downside of this move? He comes in and competes for a job and is a backup/mentor the young dude that wins the job OR he gets a chance to start for a decent team for a change. It is worth a look if it is nothing more than a late draft pick.

oh great. and you guys hated watchign favre throw picks. this guy has had 3 seasons where he didn't throw more picks than td's. and his int% is 3.7, same as his td %. both not too good. this sucks if true.

If Kitty cat is jets starting QB ...i am done with this clueless team.

Dude, if the Jets traded as much as a Gravy Boat for Jon "Christ is my co-pilot" Kitna, I will sever my own penis.

Seriously, if they did that, I'm not watching one F__KING game this year.

For someone they were going to cut anyways, you're right we better have not given then much more then a 7th. I wanted a vet presence in the locker room, but not someone we had to trade for.

For someone they were going to cut anyways, you're right we better have not given then much more then a 7th. I wanted a vet presence in the locker room, but not someone we had to trade for.

Trading a 7th for Kitna will prove to be cheaper than signing a vet.

We once traded a 7th for Patrick Ramsey and he sat on the bench all year and provided depth. I don't see how this is any worse. Kitna is just what we need, a veteran who can play in a pinch who will probably not end up starting. Much better than bringing in a Garcia or a Leftwich and have them start over Clemens or Ratliff.

For those of you begging for Brett Favre to hit the street.....HERE YOU GO!!!

without his cap relief, we would had had a negative off season, meaning we would have had to cut more players than we sign

still happy he retired, but still hoping this isn't true and we draft a guy or trade for a young back-up type to compete with the 3 amigos

Archived