Vudu

best Defense in the AFC-E  

1 member has voted

1. 1. best Defense in the AFC-E

• New York JETS
    • New England Patriots
    • Buffalo Bills
    • Miami DOlphins

Purely speculatory, but its worth the premature discussion.

With the JETS' new aquisitions on defense and Rex Ryans new system being implemented later this year, do the JETS have the best Defense in the AFC-East?

Discuss why/why not.

Miami - average ILB's, no Cornerbacks, average NT, best OLB in division

Buffalo - LOL

New England - average LB's outside of Thomas, average Secondary AT BEST, best 34 DLine in NFL

New York - best LB unit in division, best Secondary unit in division, best ILB in division, 2nd best DT in division, 3rd best DE in division

I think Buddy, er, I mean Rex puts us over the top. With the new players and a vocal leader on defense, we have to be #1. I just hope we can stop Brady to Moss. But will I love it when we blitz Brady and sack his freshly married butt. And have our new LB talking trash to him the whole game asking him about Gisele!!

Right now Mike Pettine is on SNY and they're asking him if the Jets have the best D in the whole AFC. He's , of course, not saying so but you can tell how excited he is. Hell who wouldn't be ?

Damn it... your no JR128 thats for sure... I tune in... and commercial..

Here are last seasons AFCE D ratings based on points allowed with league rank in parenthesis:

Pats: 19.3 (8th)

Phins: 19.8 (9th)

Bills: 21.4 (14th)

Jets: 22.2 (18th)

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2008&seasonType=REG&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&d-447263-o=1&conference=ALL&tabSeq=2&role=OPP&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=TOTAL_POINTS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-n=1

Apart from San Diego (15th) and Arizona (28th) all of the playoff teams ranked in the top 12 in points allowed.

I have no idea who has the best D in the AFCE. Free Agency is still going on and the draft is 7 weeks away.

Jets finished with the following defensive rankings:

18th in points

16th in yards

What were the top 10 weaknesses? (more or less in order of importance)

#1) Coaching & gameplanning: this includes scheming pressure on the QB which we didn't do well last year, and mixing things up over the course of a ballgame.

#2) CB opposite Revis

#3) Jenkins healthy for a full season and/or adequate backup

#4) ILB to pair with Harris, who can defend the run, rush the passer, or drop into coverage (effectively)

#5) David Bowens playing instead of David Harris

#6) Either Thomas or Gholston to play like they deserve to be out there

#7) S to pair with Rhodes

#8) Rhodes taking a major step back

#9) Pass rush/pressure from RDE when we drop 8 into coverage

#10) Depth at DB

I'd say we've taken care of #'s 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, hopefully 8, and maybe 10.

#3) We still need a backup NT or for Pouha to step it up a notch or five.

#6) Thomas or Gholston should both be better without Mangini's read & react stuff -- that isn't a fit for every NFL player. These two are dumbasses who are physical freaks of nature. You can't scheme them to be thinkers. It's like telling a rookie QB to call the plays at the LOS starting week 1.

#9) I don't expect to see much dropping 8 into coverage this year anyway, so I'll toss this one away as a "who freakin' cares?"

This defense could be downright scary.

Despite the criticism of many and his down-season in '08, Coleman doesn't scare me away from that idea. The defense was plenty good for a while last year if not for the sissy in-game coaching & dropping 7 or 8 into coverage nonsense. The passing game was the weakness, and the running game followed suit when Jenkins got injured. If we upgrade from Coleman, then power to us. But I think this defense will be beastly with or without that lineup change.

And while there are positions where there are better players on other teams, on defense no one else in the division has this kind of talent across the board as a whole.

Miami - average ILB's, no Cornerbacks, average NT, best OLB in division

Buffalo - LOL

New England - average LB's outside of Thomas, average Secondary AT BEST, best 34 DLine in NFL

New York - best LB unit in division, best Secondary unit in division, best ILB in division, 2nd best DT in division, 3rd best DE in division

Who has a better DT then Jenkins in our division?

The Jets have the potential to be the best. Like last season though there are a lot of question marks. The secondary has gone from weakness to strength IMO with the addition of Leonhard and Sheppard. I think it ensures more freedom for Rhodes and will allow him to showcase his ability as a playmaker.

The front 7 could be great, could be dissapointing. Scott was a great signing, he's an elite line-backer and will ensure improvement in run-stopping, pass rush, pass coverage etc. There's nothing he doesn't do well and he provides an instant upgrade. Having him play behind Jenkins and alongside Harris/Pace could prove devastating for other teams. Harris though needs to play more like he did in his rookie season. He was dissapointing last season even though he had injury problems. I'm hoping we get more depth or even a replacement for Coleman on the defensive line. There's also Gholston of course. God knows what the **** will happen with him. Hopefully he shows something that resembles #6 overall ability.

Overall we're in good shape and with Ryan/Pettine calling the shots there should be no more of the bend don't break **** we had to put up with under Mangini. Ryan is going to attack and dominate best he can. That excites me and I think with the talent available we can execute. I'm predicting right now that we'll be the best in the division and Top 10 in the league.

I think they're pretty close. I'd say Jenkins is better though.

Wilfork gets to play next to elite 3-4 DE's in Seymour and Warren. Jenkins has to play next to Kenyon Coleman. It's **** like that which wears him down.

I'd say Wilfork has better stamina and is less injury prone but when Jenkins is 100% I'm not sure there is any defensive player in the league who can dominate like he can.

Archived