Well, a year has passed...

StillerPaul

Considering we were one of the better running teams in the NFL and we are returning all our starters for the first time since I dont know when...I would say yes, because you can only imagine that we are going to get better.

Its no wonder that both Brick and Mangold had the best seasons of their career with Alan playing in between them.

40 mil wasnt to play one season.

My personal feelings is that it was a win win for both teams. Alan hated the new system under Bruce Arians and let it be known often so keeping him in Pittsburgh would have screwed chemistry imo. Yet i wish we could have gotten a decent trade return for him instead of losing him in FA as well.

Good input guys, keep it coming!

Are there better guards out there for cheaper?

Yes.

Were they available to the Jets at the time?

No.

We may have 'overpaid', but the difference was probably still worth it considering the alternative.

You want to talk about the alternative? I tried to calculate the difference in talent level between Fancea and the man he replaced, Adrien Clarke.

The result returned was: ∞.

You want to talk about the alternative? I tried to calculate the difference in talent level between Fancea and the man he replaced, Adrien Clarke.

The result returned was: ∞.

I tried to get that joke.

But all I heard was 'nerd'.

Pittsburgh, PA. The Super Bowl XLIII Champion Pittsburgh Steelers, the

only team to win six titles, will soon be loosing half of those trophies. After

a meeting between NFL Commissioner Rodger Gadel and President Barack

Hussain Obama, Obama decided to redistribute half of their Steeler Super

Bowl victories and trophies to less fortunate teams in the league.

Not so hot in pass protection, great in the run game, great work ethic, toughness, and impact of his fellow lineman (espec. Brick and Mantooth).

As others have said, we overpaid. But the market value fo rguards has sky-rocketed. Also, I think the impact of a big ticket FA signing with us early in free agency was another positive.

Pittsburgh, PA. The Super Bowl XLIII Champion Pittsburgh Steelers, the

only team to win six titles, will soon be loosing half of those trophies. After

a meeting between NFL Commissioner Rodger Gadel and President Barack

Hussain Obama, Obama decided to redistribute half of their Steeler Super

Bowl victories and trophies to less fortunate teams in the league.

i said at the time he was overrated, and got ripped into for it. He WAS a great player, but his last 2 years with the steelers he definetly lost a step or two.

Like I said at the time, the Steelers don't make many mistakes. They knew he wasn't worth the money and let him go.

He wasn't even the best guard on the team last year. Moore was better, and I thought it was a joke that they didn't want to give him a pay raise. Although it did work out for them.

And the argument that it was a good signing because he was better than A. Clarke is a joke. That's like saying it's ok to bring in R. Grossman and make him the highest paid qb because he is better than Clemens/Ratliff.

The money we spent on him will hurt us in the long run because of salary cap reasons.

i said at the time he was overrated, and got ripped into for it. He WAS a great player, but his last 2 years with the steelers he definetly lost a step or two.

Like I said at the time, the Steelers don't make many mistakes. They knew he wasn't worth the money and let him go.

He wasn't even the best guard on the team last year. Moore was better, and I thought it was a joke that they didn't want to give him a pay raise. Although it did work out for them.

And the argument that it was a good signing because he was better than A. Clarke is a joke. That's like saying it's ok to bring in R. Grossman and make him the highest paid qb because he is better than Clemens/Ratliff.

The money we spent on him will hurt us in the long run because of salary cap reasons.

in order to get the best to move to your team, you have to put up the most money, we got EXACTLY what we paid for, the AFC RUSHING LEADER. Don't think for one second that's going to change very much as long as Faneca is here.

What we spent on our O-Line will reap benefits for years to come, at least in the running yards from scrimmage statistic.

What's the concensus here on the Alan Faneca signing now?

Obviously the Steelers did OK with alot cheaper replacement. Was he worth the 40 plus mil to you guys?

Yes He stabilized our young line and helped give us a great running game.

Are you saying Rex Grossman = Faneca? I doubt you are. So your analogy is a joke! It would have to be Favre to make sense.

Besides, what else were we going to spend that money on? I think Faneca completed our o-line and was worth the money. It was an awesome move and I like that we have some balls lately and are getting who we want. It definitely pays off if you are smart about it. Like someone already said, TJ was the AFC rushing leader.

The salary cap is going to change, quite likely in a major way, this offseason.

I thought he was overrated coming off 2007 too. We knew that needed to replace Clarke, who never really replaced Kendall. You think it wasn't important to get a sure thing to replace Adrien Clarke? The #2 FA guard, younger and cheaper, was Jacob Bell. Ask the Rams how that turned out.

Archived