Aces Wild: Sabathia and Santana Thread

Morrissey

I don't want this to turn into a Sabathia vs. Santana/Mets vs. Yankees thread. I think it would be fun to talk about there performance and compare them during the season.

Here are a few things to consider:

-Play in NYC

-Left handed pitchers

-Highest paid pitchers in baseball

-Shut down aces

It's suppose to be a fun thread, so don't be nasty. Both are on the mound tomorrow on opening day.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Santana - Ace, proven in BOTH leagues over multiple years.

Sabathia - Very good pitcher who was above avg in the AL, got traded to the NL, had an awesome season and bam big dollars.

Think about how dumb the Yankees are. If they include HUGHES in the deal, they deal Hughes, Kennedy and Cabrera to MIN for Santana... so in other words, 3 scrubs, and then they have a better pitcher for LESS coin.

Then, you can just give Sabathia the coin Burnett got (plus some), and for the cost of 3 scrubs

Santana

sabathia

Wang

Pettitte

Joba

May as well just quit with those 2 dominant pitchers.

Instead, by June, they'll have

Sabathia and his 4.00 era

Wang

Pettitte

Joba

Hughes

as Burnett will probably get hurt.

Santana - Ace, proven in BOTH leagues over multiple years.

Sabathia - Very good pitcher who was above avg in the AL, got traded to the NL, had an awesome season and bam big dollars.

Think about how dumb the Yankees are. If they include HUGHES in the deal, they deal Hughes, Kennedy and Cabrera to MIN for Santana... so in other words, 3 scrubs, and then they have a better pitcher for LESS coin.

Then, you can just give Sabathia the coin Burnett got (plus some), and for the cost of 3 scrubs

Santana

sabathia

Wang

Pettitte

Joba

Instead, by June, they'll have

Sabathia and his 4.00 era

Wang

Pettitte

Joba

Hughes

as Burnett will probably get hurt.

1. Obviously you didn't understand the point of this thread.

2. Sabathia has't had an ERA over 3.25 since 2005, let alone an ERA at or above 4. He's had a 3.04 ERA the past 3 seasons, which included a Cy Young Award in the American League. He's getting better year after year. His numbers clearly show that.

Lets take a closer look at Sabathia's 2008 numbers:

March/April w/ CLE- 7.88 ERA

May w/ CLE- 2.44 ERA

June w/ CLE- 1.89 ERA

July w/ MIL- 2.27 ERA

Aug w/ MIL- 1.12 ERA

Sep/Oct w/ MIL- 2.11 ERA

Besides the weird start, he was lights out in both the AL and NL in 2008.

3. Hughes is not a scrub.

4. Not even the Yankees could sign 2 pitchers to 7-8 year contracts at $150 million+ each, nor should they.

5. I'll take Sabathia, Hughes + other prospects over just Santana.

Jesus Christ... boys, get over it.

NYC is blessed with 2 of the best left-handed studs in ALL OF BASEBALL.

Trust me... it's ok to not bash each other.

I love the talk of hypothetical of WELL IF THE YANKEES HAD DONE THIS THEY'D HAVE THIS ROTATION THEY ARE SO DUMB!! I'm sure we could do PLENTY of that with the Mets. It's baseball... management often makes mistakes.

Let's at least enjoy opening day.

Jesus Christ... boys, get over it.

NYC is blessed with 2 of the best left-handed studs in ALL OF BASEBALL.

Trust me... it's ok to not bash each other.

I love the talk of hypothetical of WELL IF THE YANKEES HAD DONE THIS THEY'D HAVE THIS ROTATION THEY ARE SO DUMB!! I'm sure we could do PLENTY of that with the Mets. It's baseball... management often makes mistakes.

Let's at least enjoy opening day.

can't....looks like it's gonna be snowing all day in cincy.

Here we go again... :rolleyes:

It really is a shame that so many people that claim to be baseball fans have so little clue about the game. Or let their complete jealous hatred of the greatest franchise in the history of sports blind them completely to reality.

Get over it.

:rl:

So is Sabathia dominant or just very good? Not exactly a consistent argument there.

Sabathia will not come close to being the pitcher Santana is -not hating just the truth.

I'm wondering if this is partly because Milwaukee beat him like a rented mule last year. Which, when you think about it...is exactly what he was. :P

I'm wondering if this is partly because Milwaukee beat him like a rented mule last year. Which, when you think about it...is exactly what he was. :P

Santana has been Mr. consistent unlike sabathia- people forget he started like 1 and 5 with a high ERA last year for Cleveland- when did you ever see those type of stats for santana?

Santana has been Mr. consistent unlike sabathia- people forget he started like 1 and 5 with a high ERA last year for Cleveland- when did you ever see those type of stats for santana?

Santana is a FREAKING STUD for you guys. How many games did the bull pen lose him last year?

He looked great for you guys.

All I can tell you is Green is gonna be KEY for you guys. He was good over here in the Pacific NW, when he went to the Mets I figured he'd be a key bullpen guy for you guys. He has good stuff and is a great stop gap/bridge to that nasty end of the pen.

Sabathia looked sloppy but like you mentioned Faba... he does this. And usually the first 2-3 games are BRUTAL.

I mean, that's the beauty of baseball. If someone told you in April of last year that the Brewers would trade for Sabathia who would carry them into the playoffs would you have believed it? Probably not, most people would think "He's done! It's a waste!"

Baseball is not football, it's long, and yes, games count, but it doesn't change your standings so early on.

Santana is a FREAKING STUD for you guys. How many games did the bull pen lose him last year?

He looked great for you guys.

All I can tell you is Green is gonna be KEY for you guys. He was good over here in the Pacific NW, when he went to the Mets I figured he'd be a key bullpen guy for you guys. He has good stuff and is a great stop gap/bridge to that nasty end of the pen.

Sabathia looked sloppy but like you mentioned Faba... he does this. And usually the first 2-3 games are BRUTAL.

I mean, that's the beauty of baseball. If someone told you in April of last year that the Brewers would trade for Sabathia who would carry them into the playoffs would you have believed it? Probably not, most people would think "He's done! It's a waste!"

Baseball is not football, it's long, and yes, games count, but it doesn't change your standings so early on.

Green is the key... Putz and KRod should be fine.

Green Im very worried. Im not sure he has the mental makeup to handle NY when he struggles. Ive seen little of him and hopefully my feeling is wrong about him. I really got the douche chills when I saw him in Spring Training warming up (I was 1 row from the bullpen). And if he does suck in the 7th we really dont have anyone to replace him.

161 games to go...

Green is the key... Putz and KRod should be fine.

Green Im very worried. Im not sure he has the mental makeup to handle NY when he struggles. Ive seen little of him and hopefully my feeling is wrong about him. I really got the douche chills when I saw him in Spring Training warming up (I was 1 row from the bullpen). And if he does suck in the 7th we really dont have anyone to replace him.

161 games to go...

He was pretty good in Seattle. We'll see how he does at home, sometimes it's even tougher for relievers to come in with the pressure of the home fans. I think he'll be able to do OK, better then what you had last year.

METS fans have balls the size of Kansas these days, let's see how big those nuts will be when you have another late September collapse for the 3rd year in a row. Your bullpen can't do everything...:)

CC's line from last night:

7.2 IP- 6 H, 0 BB, 0 ER, 6 K

He pitched very well. Granted, it wasn't much of a lineup he faced, but he doesn't choose opponent. Like that he clearly asked to start the 8th when he didn't have to do so.

Yanks are going to be good if the starters stay this solid and the bullpen keeps this up.

Papelbon had a really great "save" yesterday, whcih was also great news.

Archived