Jets to practice at SUNY Cortland: low SAT scores to follow

T0mShane

As a cortland alum I have to jump in and at least try to defend the place. Yes its in the middle of nowhere, i cant argue that. Buts I like sticking the team in the middle of nowhere. Training camp is about Football. Not luxuries. If they stay in NJ all the Vets stay in their multi million dollar homes. And rookies and invitees are in nice hotels. Besides the small strip of bars there is nothing to do there, and they will be more focused on football.

When I heard they were considering Cortland or Cornell I knew the answer would be Cortland. I worked in the athletic department and know Cortlands facilities very well. I also interned in Cornells athletic department too. The facilities are not even close. Cortland has 2 full size field turf fields, plus acres of grass fields. Cornell has one turf field, and its astro turf. The training and weight rooms are also world class. I worked for the Mets for a year, when they were at Shea, and Cortland had better weight rooms then the Mets had. The Jets wont be the top level athletes to train there either. I know im going to be laughed at for this one, but Suny Cortland is actually the Official Training Facility for the US Olympic Team Handball teams too.

Yes I agree its in the middle of nowhere, and most of you have never heard of the place. I vowed when i graduated that I would never return. But personally I think its good for the team and plan on making the trip yet again this summer.

Rex Ryan said (it was a quote in another thread... if I find it I will post the link) something along the lines of...

I want to have camp away from home so the players have just themselves to rely on, make them connect to play better together.

Hmmm...

My cousin's up in Little Falls, seemed like some serious Giants country last time I was up there. Eh. Either way, the Jets aren't making any inroads up there. Maybe Rex wants to take 'em someplace where the fans will boo them at practice.

Little Falls is further east plus it's less than an hour from the Giants training camp. You're right about the Jets not making inroads. I'm sure when we win a Super Bowl that will all change. Hell look at what it did for the Patsies. :P

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show/2937--jets-week-training-camp-plans-unveiled

The New York Jets announced today that they will open to the public five June minicamp practices as part of a week of activities at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center in Florham Park, N.J., beginning June 6.

The Jets also announced that their 2009 training camp will feature practices open to the public in three different locations throughout the tristate area — upstate New York, Long Island and New Jersey.

New York Gov. David A. Paterson announced today that the Jets will hold their training camp on the campus of SUNY Cortland, generating millions in economic activity for Central New York and drawing thousands of people to Cortland this summer.

Training camp at SUNY Cortland is scheduled to begin Friday, July 31.

The Jets will then hold a special Family Night practice on Long Island at Hofstra University, the site of their former practice facility, on Wednesday, Aug. 12.

Three more practices open to the public will take place at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center on Aug. 22, 26 and 27.

“I am excited that we will be able to interact with our fans throughout the region in an unprecedented series of public practices,” said Jets owner Woody Johnson. “Starting in June, we will welcome fans to our new home for the first open practices at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center.

"Come the end of July, training camp in Cortland will provide the remote environment Coach Ryan envisions to foster team unity. We will return to our Long Island roots in August for a Family Night practice at Hofstra University and we will close out the summer in New Jersey with a final round of public practices at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center."

Jets minicamp practices in June — Jets Week — and the Long Island and New Jersey practices in August will feature activities for the entire family. Fans attending will enjoy Generation Jets Fest, the JetsShop merchandise tent and autograph sessions with players, coaches and the 2009 New York Jets Flight Crew.

Details of all minicamp and training camp practices will be available at newyorkjets.com in the coming weeks. Minicamp and training camp are supported by Atlantic Health, Dunkin’ Donuts, Sprint and The Record.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show/2937--jets-week-training-camp-plans-unveiled

The New York Jets announced today that they will open to the public five June minicamp practices as part of a week of activities at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center in Florham Park, N.J., beginning June 6.

The Jets also announced that their 2009 training camp will feature practices open to the public in three different locations throughout the tristate area — upstate New York, Long Island and New Jersey.

New York Gov. David A. Paterson announced today that the Jets will hold their training camp on the campus of SUNY Cortland, generating millions in economic activity for Central New York and drawing thousands of people to Cortland this summer.

Training camp at SUNY Cortland is scheduled to begin Friday, July 31.

The Jets will then hold a special Family Night practice on Long Island at Hofstra University, the site of their former practice facility, on Wednesday, Aug. 12.

Three more practices open to the public will take place at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center on Aug. 22, 26 and 27.

“I am excited that we will be able to interact with our fans throughout the region in an unprecedented series of public practices,” said Jets owner Woody Johnson. “Starting in June, we will welcome fans to our new home for the first open practices at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center.

"Come the end of July, training camp in Cortland will provide the remote environment Coach Ryan envisions to foster team unity. We will return to our Long Island roots in August for a Family Night practice at Hofstra University and we will close out the summer in New Jersey with a final round of public practices at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center."

Jets minicamp practices in June — Jets Week — and the Long Island and New Jersey practices in August will feature activities for the entire family. Fans attending will enjoy Generation Jets Fest, the JetsShop merchandise tent and autograph sessions with players, coaches and the 2009 New York Jets Flight Crew.

Details of all minicamp and training camp practices will be available at newyorkjets.com in the coming weeks. Minicamp and training camp are supported by Atlantic Health, Dunkin’ Donuts, Sprint and The Record.

Now, just think - If the Jets media office had released this information over a month ago, this whole post never would have been needed!

L.I. fans get a scrimage in Hofstra Stadium...

Florham Park Fans get a week of mini-camp...

Talk about poor management at PR!

This is just ridiculous...wasn't the ability to have training camp in NJ one of their selling points to the fans?

No.

The Jets wanted a state of the art facility where they can train AND have their corporate offices close to the new Stadium. They have that in Florham Park.

People act like training camp (2 months out of the year) is more important than the other 10 months the Jets are in Florham Park.

This one time back in the day...

me and these two cats from the neighborhood,

swam in a pool that looked JUST LIKE THAT.

We got kicked out and ran ALL THE WAY HOME.

No lie, my friend was sick for 9 months after that. He lost 124 pounds and missed three straight years of school.

We still laugh about it today.

Oh Ham. You're the most knowledgeable poster on JI.

I used to puke when I'd read that.

"Training camp at SUNY Cortland is scheduled to begin Friday, July 31.

Three more practices open to the public will take place at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center on Aug. 22, 26 and 27."

sooooooo

they are going to disrupt camp ryan to kiss ass and try to make eveyone feel a little better ?

that's just stupid

go to cortland, and stay there !!!

they are going to disrupt camp ryan to kiss ass and try to make eveyone feel a little better ?

that's just stupid

go to cortland, and stay there !!!

Exactly. Screw New Jersey. They get all the real games. Screw Long Island because, well, it's Long Island.

:D

This is GREAT news! My daughter had winter track meets there. I'm looking forward to going.

I hope the Jets will have camp open to fans, but I didnt see specifically mentioned it will be.

EDIT: Well.. Boland from Newsday answered my question on this and said they have to have camp open to the public.... so that answers my question.

Three Training Camp days in New Jersey? Oh my, so kind you are Jets.

:Nuts:

The New York Jets announced today that they will open to the public five June mini-camp practices as part of a week of activities at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center in Florham Park, NJ beginning June 6th.

That's June 6-10

Three more practices open to the public will take place at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center on August 22, 26 and 27th.

That's three weeks of weekend training camp in Florham Park.

The problem is that for almost 30 years, JETS fans have been spoiled by having pre-season training camp in the same facility as their regular season facility.

We were the only team in the NFL that did not go away to camp and our conditioning program showed for it...

I mentioned this in another thread but I'm not sure why they are having camp at a city located in the Buffalo Bills television market but what do I know?

As an aside, the A&W restaurant in Cortland was good the last time I was up there 10 years ago.

I hope the Jets will have camp open to fans, but I didnt see specifically mentioned it will be.

EDIT: Well.. Boland from Newsday answered my question on this and said they have to have camp open to the public.... so that answers my question.

Dude you are bringing that stuff to Boland? WTF???

I can answer your Jets questions. :winking0001:

He likes me and responds quickly.

I'm still waiting for you to send your medical tests to see if you're the one who infected me.

:bag:

If your skin is flaking and you can't help scratching yet you feel the experience was definitely worth it, then yes I am to blame.

Archived