top 3 NYJ targets?

bitonti

1. Jeremy Maclin: The Jets will need guys who can make touchdowns happen, because their offense is going to struggle to score points without a plodding running back and an unsettled QB situation. Maclin can get down the field, and he can catch-and-run it for TD's--an honest to goodness home-run hitter.

2. Knowshon Moreno: As stated above, the Jets need play-makers, and Moreno is probably the best running back in the draft. Thomas Jones is not long for the Jets world, anyway, and Moreno can serve two purposes here: 1. He can keep Jones from being over-worked again and 2. He can keep Leon Washington from having to take carries out of the backfield that will, in short time, ruin him. Moreno is the goods.

3. Malcolm Jenkins: A bit of a dark horse pick here, but I think Jenkins can be the Ed Reed-type free safety for this team eventually, but he could come in and play corner for us while he learns the trade. It seems extraneous, but you can't have enough corners, and Jenkins is a natural play-maker with size and skill (though not awesome speed).

Maclin is an unrealistic option IMO. He's not falling to 17, so I'm not including him. Also guys I'm leaving out include Raji, Crabtree, Sanchez because I don't believe we'll have a shot at any of them and I don't want us trading up.

1. Beanie Wells - By far the most talented RB in this draft. His combination of size, power and speed have drawn comparisons to Adrian Peterson and Bo Jackson. His only question is durability and that's the ONLY reason that he may fall to 17. I'd take him in a heartbeat. Putting him behind this offensive line would turn a good running attack into a great one, maybe the best in the NFL. Would play perfectly into what Rex Ryan wants on offense, a smashmouth running game to take pressure off of the young QB, whoever that may be. The fact that TJ is whining over a new contract which he's not going to get increases the appeal of a RB. If he's on the board, I don't see how the Jets can pass on him.

2. Percy Harvin - WR is a huge need and I'm not sold on any of the others who'll be there at 17 (Bey, Nicks, Britt etc.). Harvin is another guy who will only be around at 17 because of durability/off the field issues. Personally I'd be willing to take a shot on him because his upside is off the charts. He's simply a great football player. He runs great routes, excellent hands, brilliant speed and his acceleration and burst off the LOS is simply unbelievable. He's also Leon Washington like in terms of elusiveness, he's very tough to tackle in space. He's very underrated because of size (Much like DeSean Jackson was last year) but he's a incredible athlete and football player. He's very versatile in what he can do and would bring a much needed explosive threat to this offense.

3. Tyson Jackson - This defense already has the potential to be great right now but adding Jackson could put this group over the top. Ryan would love this guy and with this being his first draft I have no doubt that he'd love a guy to be the cornerstone of his defense for years to come. Jackson has great potential and is a prototypical 3-4 DE, they don't come along too often and he's be great on that line next to Jenkins and Ellis, freeing up even more room for our LB's to dominate. Versatile linemen are what Rex Ryan loves and Jackson would fit into his schemes perfectly.

3. Malcolm Jenkins: A bit of a dark horse pick here, but I think Jenkins can be the Ed Reed-type free safety for this team eventually, but he could come in and play corner for us while he learns the trade. It seems extraneous, but you can't have enough corners, and Jenkins is a natural play-maker with size and skill (though not awesome speed).

in all seriousness he could be there and the Jets love Buckeyes (VG, Mangold), that's a nice dark horse pick TS.

in all seriousness he could be there and the Jets love Buckeyes (VG, Mangold), that's a nice dark horse pick TS.

That's another factor that goes into Wells IMO.

Speaking of Buckeyes The Jets could also look at Brian Robiskie, WR, in the 2nd, what do you think of him Bit? I know Mayock loves him.

1) Tyson Jackson - I see Ty Warren. What's wrong with that?

2) Knowshon Moreno - UGA turns out talented pros. He's a gamer

3) Beanie Wells - I think he's unlikely to be there but not out of the question. we need a RB.

Louis Murphy in round 2.

Maclin is an unrealistic option IMO. He's not falling to 17, so I'm not including him. Also guys I'm leaving out include Raji, Crabtree, Sanchez because I don't believe we'll have a shot at any of them and I don't want us trading up.

1. Beanie Wells - By far the most talented RB in this draft. His combination of size, power and speed have drawn comparisons to Adrian Peterson and Bo Jackson. His only question is durability and that's the ONLY reason that he may fall to 17. I'd take him in a heartbeat. Putting him behind this offensive line would turn a good running attack into a great one, maybe the best in the NFL. Would play perfectly into what Rex Ryan wants on offense, a smashmouth running game to take pressure off of the young QB, whoever that may be. The fact that TJ is whining over a new contract which he's not going to get increases the appeal of a RB. If he's on the board, I don't see how the Jets can pass on him.

3. Tyson Jackson - This defense already has the potential to be great right now but adding Jackson could put this group over the top. Ryan would love this guy and with this being his first draft I have no doubt that he'd love a guy to be the cornerstone of his defense for years to come. Jackson has great potential and is a prototypical 3-4 DE, they don't come along too often and he's be great on that line next to Jenkins and Ellis, freeing up even more room for our LB's to dominate. Versatile linemen are what Rex Ryan loves and Jackson would fit into his schemes perfectly.

I have read there are more questions about Wells than just his durability. Apparently he does not play to his size, also there are issues about his toughness. Though I would love for the Jets to take a RB with the first pick I think for purposes of this conversation I go:

Jackson - My favorite pick for a while. I don't think he will be there at #17. Just too many 3-4 teams these days, all looking for the same guys.

Maclin - I dont expect he'll be there either.

Pettigew - Just because its a huge need and he's a singular talent in this draft.

I also would love to have Malcolm Jenkins. But mostly what I want is for the Jets not to go for a lesser WR prospect (ie, someone other than Maclin or Crabtree).

Assuming we remain at 17, coupled in with the realistic players that could be there:

1. Knowshon Moreno

2. Darrius Heyward-Bey

3. Hakeem Nicks

Yikes. I don't get the DHB stuff. Too risky for a first rounder, IMO.

That's another factor that goes into Wells IMO.

Speaking of Buckeyes The Jets could also look at Brian Robiskie, WR, in the 2nd, what do you think of him Bit? I know Mayock loves him.

he's a steady character not going to make it rain in a strip club pac man jones style (or percy harvin style). runs sharp routes, strong, fast enough, good bloodlines, a buckeye - I don't know that he will be there but it sounds like a Jets type of pick to me.

just as a rule of thumb Jets in recent years either take juniors who are super talented or seniors that dominate the senior bowl. Robiskie I would characterize as the latter. Keller was a notable exception to that rule... but he opted out of Senior Bowl smartly because they wouldn't use him right.

but looking at the Senior Bowl roster for the Jets 2nd round pick is a Jets type of move... they did it with David Harris... the head coach has changed but the front office hasn't. Mike Wallace, Kenny McKinley later on also make sense for these reasons...

Maclin...best WR in this draft...its doubtful he's there at 17 but #1 on my list.

Moreno...stud RB can team with Leon for the best pair of RBs in the division.

DHB...risky pick for us especially after last year's Gholston pick...great upside at a position of need...really think if Maryland had a better passing game he goes in the top 10.

If we stay at 17, guys likely to be there I would want.....hmm....

1. Peria Jerry. Jenkins is old and NT's take a beating, always good to have young big bodies.

2. Percy Harvin. I think shotty could work wonders with him, lining him up all over the field like Smith only Harvin is a better threat to actually score

3. Josh Freeman. Big QB. What jumped out at me with all the mini camp reports is this ; if ratliff has to play we're screwed. If the Jets pass on Freeman, they'll have to sign a vet, and that means JP Losman. I actually think this is the pick they will make, but it would be my third choice

honorable mention to Pettigrew, but that would be a need reach. He may be a guy they trade up for at the end of the 1st if he slides

1. Wells- I like him a lot more than Moreno. Moreno doesn't go down quite as easy as McFadden but I just don't see it. I don't live on the east coast, so i didn't get to see him as much as Wells, so you can take this with a grain of salt.

2. Hayward-bey- Not overly excited about this guy but I could see him being there. I've heard a few Santana Moss comparisons, and i'd be ok with that.

3. Sanchez - I don't really want this but if he is BPA, he may be hard for a new HC to pass on. I think Kellen will have a say in this as to how he plays in the coming weeks at practice. If he plays as well as they have been saying, then there will be no Sanchez. If it tails off and Ratliff looks like he is destined to drive a delivery truck...bring on the overrated USC QB.

Sanchez, Maclin, Heyward-Bey.

I don't think the Jets could pass on Sanchez if he's there, and they may even trade up for him. Short of that, they'll look to the best WR on the board. If Sanchez and the top three WR's are gone, I could see Pettigrew being the pick.

No way do I see the Jets looking at a RB in the first round. I hope I'm right about that.

I don't think you f-around at all with a 1st rounder

That being said

1. Everette Brown......seems like alot of mocks have him dropping

2. Michael Oher.....This guy would have been the #1 Tackle had he came out last year

3. Petti.....No denying it, we need a TE

Archived