Yankees vs. Red Sox @ Yankee Stadium

Morrissey

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Papelbon better get that WHIP down or his ERA's not going to keep matching it. Too bad they weren't the ones to take advantage cause they can't get a hit w/RISP to save their ****ing lives.

What makes it worse was they had the guys up who you want batting in those situations and they couldn't get the job done.

Papelbon better get that WHIP down or his ERA's not going to keep matching it. Too bad they weren't the ones to take advantage cause they can't get a hit w/RISP to save their ****ing lives.

Papelbons fine . Save #7. :biggrin:

He can't maintain that ERA with that WHIP or by walking 7 people in 11 innings. If it stays, his ERA skyrockets.

Your really gonna start nit picking about a guy with only 8 hits allowed this season?

Stop the nonsense.

He has 10 hits allowed and 7 walks. Not the best recipe. The walks are the more troubling issue. He had 8 all of last year.

Why are you picking on a guy that is doing better than his Yankee equivalent?

Where are you trying to go with this?

Why are you picking on a guy that is doing better than his Yankee equivalent?

Where are you trying to go with this?

That his sudden apparent lack of control could bode troubling in the near future. Whatever he's doing wrong by walking this many people this early, he needs to fix.

That they played in a monsoon last night is a disgrace. A bigger disgrace is having fans wait 2 1/2 hours to start, and then excluding people who reasonably thought the game would be called and tried to get back into the Stadium after the game started. If you charge people top dollar, your reentry policy has to bend when you make people wait that long in the rain.

The Yanks havent been in this awful of a state since the late 80's early 90's.

This team is a complete disaster.

Add in the organization not letting fans back in to their mosileum of a new "stadium"...things really look bright.

So, for the first time in a couple of years, I decided to watch Phil Phenom pitch a game, to see what all the hype is about.

What I witnessed was a kid who was nibble, nibble, nibble at the strike zone. On full count pitches, the kid threw breaking pitches.

Is he afraid of his own stuff?

The stuff looked decent from a camera angle (dangerous way to make a judgment, I realize), but God he seemed afraid of putting anything over the plate.

One game, I also realize.

So, for the fist time in a couple of years, I decided to watch Phil Phenom pitch a game, to see what all the hype is about.

What I witnessed was a kid who was nibble, nibble, nibble at the strike zone. On full count pitches, the kid threw breaking pitches.

Is he afraid of his own stuff?

The stuff looked decent from a camera angle (dangerous way to make a judgment, I realize), but God he seemed afraid of putting anything over the plate.

One game, I also realize.

I thought he looked pretty good, too. And you are right, he is afraid to put one over the plate, which is self defeating because I think all the Red Sox big hits came off pitches out of the strike zone. Lester was real good.

He has 10 hits allowed and 7 walks. Not the best recipe. The walks are the more troubling issue. He had 8 all of last year.

He also had one of his highest ERAs last year and lowest WHIP.

Seeing most of the walks come against the Yankees, I am willing to bet they are working the count and getting high pitch counts like they always do.

Embarrassing...

Hundreds of irate fans - some who claim Yankee employees told them the game had been rained out - stormed away from Yankee Stadium before Monday night's game against the Red Sox even got underway and couldn't get back in, resulting in a an ugly scene at one of the ticket gates.

With rain falling for hours and no start time announced until shortly before 9 p.m., hordes of fans began leaving the Stadium and heading home - some who said they had been advised that the game had been called by Yankee employees who walked the concourse holding pinstriped "How may I help you?" signs.

When a 9:20 p.m. start time was eventually announced over the public address system, a crowd on the sidewalk outside Gate 6 tried to get back into the Stadium, only to have the employees working the turnstiles promptly close the doors in their faces. Panicked fans began racing up and down the sidewalk, trying to find a way back into the ballpark, while others remained at Gate 6 either pleading or demanding to be let back in.

"We talked to the security personnel, who said there was zero chance they were going to play the game," said Tom Stuart, a 27-year-old from Astoria who waited out most of the rain delay before leaving with his girlfriend. "We spent three hours drinking beer - you can't drink much because they're 10 bucks apiece - now they're going to play a game in front of 35 fans."

Becky Wright, who flew in from Oregon for Monday night's game, had bought two tickets as a birthday present for her 16-year-old son, Seth O'Neil. They left the game because "the guys holding the 'How may I help you signs?' said they weren't going to play," said Wright. They were among the hundreds of fans outside Gate 6 trying to get back into the Stadium.

Jason Zillo, a Yankee spokesman, said the team has a firm no-reentry policy. He also said the NYPD and Stadium security hadn't let any fans back into the ballpark.

"We're a part of hundreds of people, if not thousands," said Martin Watson, a 39-year-old New Yorker who spent $800 for four tickets and tried to reenter through Gate 6. "This is not fan-friendly. This is B.S. You pay money for a top-of-the-line franchise, and you get bottom-of-the-line customer service."

"I built this Stadium and they won't let me in it," a man wearing a local union jacket said before storming off.

While fans were being rebuffed outside Gate 6, scores were having their tickets rescanned outside Gate 4 and being allowed back into the Stadium, but that lasted only for a limited time.

One fan, who was wearing a No. 2 Derek Jeter jersey and a backward Yankee hat, approached a reporter to say he had been let back in, but couldn't do so because the Yankees wouldn't rescan his father's ticket. A turnstile supervisor directed the reporter and several fans to the customer service window, which was locked.

At least one fan was arrested outside the Stadium. Roseanna Franco, 25, of White Plains, was charged with assault, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest after she allegedly kicked a New York City police officer after not being let back in.

Stadium security also threatened to revoke the credential of Daily News photographer Robert Sabo, who was shooting the scene outside Gate 6 - a location photographers weren't prohibited from working at on Opening Day.

"They were super-embarrassed and told me to go back to my position on the field or they'd take my credential," Sabo said.

After most of the crowd had dispersed outside Gate 6, turnstile workers opened the doors and began letting people back into the Stadium. But it was already too late for hundreds of fans.

"This is unfair what they did to the people," said one Yankee employee who witnessed the entire scene outside Gate 6. He declined to give his name for fear of losing his job, but added: "For the people who left the game, what are they going to do about their money?"

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2009/05/04/2009-05-04_yankees_fans_told_game_cancelled_not_let_back_into_stadium_.html#ixzz0EdXcTWOQ&B

Embarrassing...

I understand why they have a no re-entry policy, but on a night when the stadium is only going to be half full anyway just let the f#ckers in. Who cares if half the Bronx sneaks in.

And the fans learned a lesson. The people working there are retarded and have no clue on whats going on. The workers are just as dumb as the ticket holders.

You NEVER leave until there is an official announcement made over the P.A. NEVER. If its that important to you and you've already waited 2 hours, why cant you sit there until an official announcement? People working security or in a concession stand have no idea what decisions are being made by the baseball people.

I understand why they have a no re-entry policy, but on a night when the stadium is only going to be half full anyway just let the f#ckers in. Who cares if half the Bronx sneaks in.

And the fans learned a lesson. The people working there are retarded and have no clue on whats going on. The workers are just as dumb as the ticket holders.

You NEVER leave until there is an official announcement made over the P.A. NEVER. If its that important to you and you've already waited 2 hours, why cant you sit there until an official announcement? People working security or in a concession stand have no idea what decisions are being made by the baseball people.

I thought that was the problem. The Stadium Staff were saying it was canceled.

Embarrassing...

Driving my wife to the train station this morning, I let fly with a rant about how the Yankees have become a media joke. This is just more evidence. I caught the game last night and--for the first time in about 40 years--felt none of the Yankee-Boston buzz/fervor that is normally there when I watch these two go at it. I think many of us need to send the inept Yankee brass emails resigning as fans. Lately, I almost find myself going for the other team because--other than Jeter, Mariano and Posada--I hate the team we have become. Good, maybe I'll get some work done on my house this summer instead of watching these clowns on TV. God knows I can't afford to actually take my wife and son to the Stadium/mausoleum for a game.

I thought that was the problem. The Stadium Staff were saying it was canceled.

The stadium staff doesnt make the official announcement. If you dont hear it on the PA, it isnt true.

As I said, the people working there are dummies. They have no clue on what decisions the baseball people are making. Shame on them for opening their mouths. Shame on the fans for thinking the employees have a clue.

Driving my wife to the train station this morning, I let fly with a rant about how the Yankees have become a media joke. This is just more evidence. I caught the game last night and--for the first time in about 40 years--felt none of the Yankee-Boston buzz/fervor that is normally there when I watch these two go at it. I think many of us need to send the inept Yankee brass emails resigning as fans. Lately, I almost find myself going for the other team because--other than Jeter, Mariano and Posada--I hate the team we have become. Good, maybe I'll get some work done on my house this summer instead of watching these clowns on TV. God knows I can't afford to actually take my wife and son to the Stadium/mausoleum for a game.

Spot on....Hell, its only May and there's no buzz in the Stadium...what's it going to be like in August when they're hovering around the .500 mark?

There was no buzz last night. There's no buzz in the "Stadium" period.

The have treated the fans like crap and the team isnt even any good.

The stadium staff doesnt make the official announcement. If you dont hear it on the PA, it isnt true.

As I said, the people working there are dummies. They have no clue on what decisions the baseball people are making. Shame on them for opening their mouths. Shame on the fans for thinking the employees have a clue.

I was at the game on Friday night. After the game ended I walked down to the lower level to meet my other friends who were at the game to try and take some pictures. Kepp in mind the game was over...

So I walk down...see my friends getting a few pics in, asd I try and meet them two security guards jump in front of my and ask for my ticket stub. Like I said, the game had ended already. I politely told the guy that those were my friends and I just wanted to take a picture with them, which was apparently obviously asking WAYYY TOO MUCH. They threatned me saying they were going to call their supervisor if I didnt cooperate and leave and ban me from the Stadium. Just absolutely unreal. I seriously looked at the two guys and said "you gotta be freaking kidding me."

I was at the game on Friday night. After the game ended I walked down to the lower level to meet my other friends who were at the game to try and take some pictures. Kepp in mind the game was over...

So I walk down...see my friends getting a few pics in, asd I try and meet them two security guards jump in front of my and ask for my ticket stub. Like I said, the game had ended already. I politely told the guy that those were my friends and I just wanted to take a picture with them, which was apparently obviously asking WAYYY TOO MUCH. They threatned me saying they were going to call their supervisor if I didnt cooperate and leave and ban me from the Stadium. Just absolutely unreal. I seriously looked at the two guys and said "you gotta be freaking kidding me."

Please tell me you are exaggerating here. Ban you from the stadium? Now you know the corporate mindset is firmly in place. That's what happens when you sell out your home town fans for tourists and luxury boxes. Okay, I'm talking a million years ago, but we would routinely tip the ushers a few bucks to get into great box seats after having paid for G.A.

Archived