I need help choosing a puppy

Pragmatic Bus

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yup, it's my next dog once I buy another house with a big ass backyard. I had two American Bulldogs so I want a Dogo next. Any dog that is train to fight Mountain Lions is cool in my book.

Very cool! Rhodesian Ridgebacks were bred to take down lions as well..

07115133228972_1.jpg

07115133228972_1.jpg

They never took down a lion (no dog could) they would keep the lion at bay until the hunter could shoot it. This type of hunting wasn't really used much because the dogs would be killed far to often.

Dogos fight Pumas one on one in cages as part of their training (I'm sure for betting also) and they're used for Puma hunting as well as protecting livestock from them.

No.. it's the people who buy dogs and then decide they are disposable that should be euthanized.
That's a roundabout argument. I worked in an animal hospital for two years. Dogs 1, People 0.

I lose sleep over what I've seen. Unless people are using working dogs for a purpose, what's the point? Perfectly healthy dogs get the blue juice by the thousands every day. Yah, I've seen my share of newborn mutt puppies get stabbed in the stomach for the big sleep.

Buy a dog. Fukk off to thems that do.

07115133228972_1.jpg

They are cool. Do you know any personally? Whenever I meet one they seem kind of stiff and not very playful. I was looking at Ridgebacks and Weimeraners. I found a rescue with blue Weimeraner pups, but my wife likes our couch and now we travel too much to care for a dog.

That's a roundabout argument. I worked in an animal hospital for two years. Dogs 1, People 0.

I lose sleep over what I've seen. Unless people are using working dogs for a purpose, what's the point? Perfectly healthy dogs get the blue juice by the thousands every day. Yah, I've seen my share of newborn mutt puppies get stabbed in the stomach for the big sleep.

Buy a dog. Fukk off to thems that do.

So you think everyone should either rescue or adopt a dog unless they are buying them for a specific purpose? Not really that bad of an argument. I actually got my dog now because someone got him and couldn't keep him. He was at my buddies house living in the kennels with the bird dogs he breeds and raises. I go up and visit then head out back to work the dogs or just have fun running around with them. I use to take him out and he would follow me around. One day he decided to jump in my truck so I brought him home. My wife never had a dog before so was kinda unsure. Then after a week she was cooking him dinner and referring to him as "the baby". Gotta be honest, I'll probably adopt my next dog as well.. Though he kinda adopted me.

Buy the way, I had no way to get a shots history or knew he had a totally ****ed up left ear. All said and done it cost me about a grand to get him taken care of. I got him one of those chips so they can find him if he runs off lookin for trim.

GSDs are gorgeous!

I have a 13 yr old flatcoat retriever and even with the Furminator I curse the shedding. I can literally brush her for an hour and she still keeps shedding. Friggin' undercoat! Certain times of the year are worse than others, of course. Still, it drives me insane. When she passes, I vowed never to own another heavy shedding dog

GSD's are my new favorite. She the first one I've had and probably will own one for the rest of my life. They are impressive beasts and they scare the bejesus out of shady characters!

I hear you about the shedding though, it's a PITA.

They are cool. Do you know any personally? Whenever I meet one they seem kind of stiff and not very playful. I was looking at Ridgebacks and Weimeraners. I found a rescue with blue Weimeraner pups, but my wife likes our couch and now we travel too much to care for a dog.

I know a few RR's. They are a bit aloof to strangers, much like Dobermans. But both are very loyal to their people.

If you travel a lot it is probably best to pass on a dog.

I know a few RR's. They are a bit aloof to strangers, much like Dobermans. But both are very loyal to their people.

Maybe a cat? As long as they have food and water they don't need attention because they are possessed by evil spirits.

I've known plenty of dobies and they seem way more playfull than RRs. Aloof is a good word for it. I figure we'll wait until we're set up back in NY to get a dog. It would be a shame to miss the chances to travel while we're over here. It's killing me to lose to opportunity of house breaking a pup in an apartment paid for by somebody else though.

Maybe a cat? As long as they have food and water they don't need attention because they are possessed by evil spirits.

Lol. Nah, I'm not a cat person. Besides, I think I'm all the evil spirit my wife can handle.

I've known plenty of dobies and they seem way more playfull than RRs. Aloof is a good word for it. I figure we'll wait until we're set up back in NY to get a dog. It would be a shame to miss the chances to travel while we're over here. It's killing me to lose to opportunity of house breaking a pup in an apartment paid for by somebody else though.

omg, Dobes are extremely playful.. esp the males. I just meant they tend to be aloof when first meeting strangers (opposed to labs who would be absolutely giddy meeting the Devil!!). Dobermans are total velcro dogs and attention hogs, though. As for Ridgebacks, I've heard they are way more independant in the home.

Ugh!

The folks I rent an upstairs unit to have a cat. The cat loves me. Comes meowing at my door daily. I talk to it, pat it, give it tuna or milk sometimes. The poor thing is neglected. Anyway, as cats often do, she left me a token of her appreciation on the mat by my back door this morning. Yes, a decapitated baby squirrel....or at least I thought it was a baby. Oh, and if that weren't enough - somehow the killer kitty dug out it's heart - must have licked the blood off - and placed it next to the decapitated squirrel. Killer Kitty hearts me.(LOL!) This is definitely what I want to see as I'm running out of the house to catch a train into Boston with with no time to spare.

Their lease expires May 31. :)

Archived