Let the Roy Halliday sweepstakes begin...make your prediction

AFJF

Where do you think Halliday goes and what would you be willing to see your team give up to get him?

I say St. Louis...and the Jays aren't trading him within the AL East so the Yanks are out.

The Phillies would be dumb not to go after him, seeing that they're sniffing around Pedro Martinez in an act of desperation. The MEts can try but I think they need more hitting not more pitching. The Yankees will probably throw an offer out there, andmaybe the Redsox.

I would love to see him take on a role with a challenge, but within his range and potential, which I think is limitless, BTW. IMO, the role of either Marius Pontmercy, the young revolutionary student, or Gavroche, the beggar boy, in the traveling company of the musical, Les Mis

I predict Phillies

But as I've said before elsewhere, the Mets should go hard after him. Having the 2 best pitchers at the top of the rotation changes everything and covers up a lot of other stuff. Ask the 2001 D'backs what double aces can do.

instead of losing 8-0, they'll only lose 2-0.

:D

I predict Phillies

But as I've said before elsewhere, the Mets should go hard after him. Having the 2 best pitchers at the top of the rotation changes everything and covers up a lot of other stuff. Ask the 2001 D'backs what double aces can do.

Yeah, but too bad for the Mets their farm system just doesn't have many chips. And they definitely can't match up with the Phils if they want him. I predict Phillies as well.

On Mike and Mike they said it would probably take like 5 to 6 top prospects to get this guy, especially for a team in the division like the Yanks, or Sox.

This is basically what the Yankees would have to offer:

Phil Hughes

Ian Kennedy

Austin Jackson

Romine

Ivan Nova

and this is me trying to be cheap by keeping Montero... lol

On Mike and Mike they said it would probably take like 5 to 6 top prospects to get this guy, especially for a team in the division like the Yanks, or Sox.

This is basically what the Yankees would have to offer:

Phil Hughes

Ian Kennedy

Melky Cabrera

Romine

Ivan Nova

and this is me trying to be cheap by keeping Montero... lol

Get it done like this.

Get it done like this.

No way would the Jays move Halladay to the Yankees without getting Austin Jackson as part of a package. They probably won't insist on Montero, though, as they have JP Arencibia in their system (even though he has struggled somewhat this year).

Yeah, but too bad for the Mets their farm system just doesn't have many chips. And they definitely can't match up with the Phils if they want him. I predict Phillies as well.

They have chips on the major league roster (if they can make this trade in the offseason)

Jays won't deal him to the AL East and they are asking a boatload because when he walks as a FA after 2010, they'll get 2 draft picks for him. Guy is 32 with a history of injury problems, would be a luxury for the Sox more than a necessity. Sox could use a bat with Mike Lowell out for who knows how long.

Jays won't deal him to the AL East and they are asking a boatload because when he walks as a FA after 2010, they'll get 2 draft picks for him. Guy is 32 with a history of injury problems, would be a luxury for the Sox more than a necessity. Sox could use a bat with Mike Lowell out for who knows how long.

Wrong.

They would deal him ANYWHERE as long as someone takes Vernon Wells' 100 million dollar contract off their hands as well. Hell if the Yanks take Wells and Holliday I'm sure the Jays would love to get back Brett Gardner and Eric Hinske.

08:$0.5M, 09:$1.5M, 10:$12.5M, 11:$23M, 12:$21M, 13:$21M, 14:$21M

The problem is, no one in their right minds would want to get saddled with Vernon's ridiculous contract. No one.

What I'd like the Yankees to do is this: offer up AJax/McAllister/Romine/Melancon so they get a decent enough haul for their troubles. Then, I want them to take on Well's contract with performance based escalators that increase the amount the Yankees pay each year based on performance last year. Set a fixed # to pay, say 25% of the contract; so no matter what Yanks would be on the hook for roughly ~30 million of his contract. The Jays are fixed to pay 25% of his contract that year as well, so they're on the hook for 30 million as well.

The remaining 50% of the contract is performance based and would require OBP/SLG/WAR/OPS+ evaluation to determine who pays the contract next year. OPS+ is a relatively simple metric, so say Vernon has an OPS+ of 105+ or 110+ through x number of plate appearances for the entire season, then the Yanks would have to pay 75% of the contract for the next year. If Well's doesn't hit it? Then the 75% burden is on Toronto. Additional legal mumbo jumbo would be there for the case of injury and such (maybe Yanks pay 50% and Jays 50%). I don't know this all sounds good in my head, but I'm probably overlooking something. :D

Where do you think Halliday goes and what would you be willing to see your team give up to get him?

I say St. Louis...and the Jays aren't trading him within the AL East so the Yanks are out.

If Richardi traded him within the East he should resign.

I do not think he moves unless the Phillies, Dodgers, Cardinals or Mets make a ridiculous offer.

I would guess he moves this off season.

Wrong.

They would deal him ANYWHERE as long as someone takes Vernon Wells' 100 million dollar contract off their hands as well. Hell if the Yanks take Wells and Holliday I'm sure the Jays would love to get back Brett Gardner and Eric Hinske.

The problem is, no one in their right minds would want to get saddled with Vernon's ridiculous contract. No one.

What I'd like the Yankees to do is this: offer up AJax/McAllister/Romine/Melancon so they get a decent enough haul for their troubles. Then, I want them to take on Well's contract with performance based escalators that increase the amount the Yankees pay each year based on performance last year. Set a fixed # to pay, say 25% of the contract; so no matter what Yanks would be on the hook for roughly ~30 million of his contract. The Jays are fixed to pay 25% of his contract that year as well, so they're on the hook for 30 million as well.

The remaining 50% of the contract is performance based and would require OBP/SLG/WAR/OPS+ evaluation to determine who pays the contract next year. OPS+ is a relatively simple metric, so say Vernon has an OPS+ of 105+ or 110+ through x number of plate appearances for the entire season, then the Yanks would have to pay 75% of the contract for the next year. If Well's doesn't hit it? Then the 75% burden is on Toronto. Additional legal mumbo jumbo would be there for the case of injury and such (maybe Yanks pay 50% and Jays 50%). I don't know this all sounds good in my head, but I'm probably overlooking something. :D

ur not getting halladay for those players.....thats what you're overlooking.

Wrong.

Your salaries are correct, but Vernon also has bonus payments of 8.5 million in 2008, 2009 and 2010. Nice contract. :rl:

You have a point IRT the Jays wanting to unload Wells contract. They placed him on waivers last August.

That is an interesting scenario though. Would Ricardi be willing to lower his asking price for Halladay if the gaining team assumed most of Wells ridiculous contract?

The Sox did that when they took on Lowell's contract in the trade for Beckett. Granted, Lowell was not owed a 100+ million.

In the end, I doubt it. No one took Wells last year and he is playing worse this year. None of the teams that can afford him, need him. Of the mid-size market teams, maybe the White Sox, but then I doubt they want to tie 20% of their payroll in a player that was very good.

The Jays are going to have to swallow most of that contract in order to move him. Short of a team giving a decent pitching prospect to the Jays and assuming the contract, I doubt Halladay and Wells are moved together.

Archived