Pick 1 OLB

StillerPaul

Ware, Dallas

James Harrison, Pittsburgh

Merriman, San Diego

Joey Porter, Dolphins

Other

Pick only one OLB to play for your 3-4 team. Most here are fans of 3-4 teams anyway ??

My pick is Harrison because his penchant for the big play, forced fumble/INT and his low center or gravity makes it damn near impossible to block him off the edge. Plus i'm a Steelers fan and know James will hunt me down and hurt me had i picked otherwise. :D

DeMarcus Ware. He was robbed of the DPOY award last year. He's arguably the best defensive player in the NFL right now.

I wouldn't even use the word arguably. He's the best and there's no doubt in my mind about it. There's also no doubt in my mind that Nnamdi Asomugha is a close second. Not seriously threatning Ware for that top spot, but he's the clear cut #2.

The answer can't be anyone but Ware.

Merriman can be just as effective if not more effective at pass rushing but his all round game doesn't come close to Ware's.

Run defense is a highly over looked aspect of these guys' game. All you hear about is their bust off the edge, ability to play with leverage, and the variety of PASS RUSHING moves they possess. But you never hear about their ability to set the edge or stack and shed.

This is why I can't consider Joey Porter even a top 3 OLB. He is average against the run and I see him turning and chasing far too often.

ware is a better athlete but harrison has the heart and attitude. I'd take Harrison and be fine with that.

Yeah but Harrison is already 31 years old

Ware is still only 26 years of age.

I'll take Ware over Harrison as far as bulding an elite Defense goes because he's a player you can build around for years to come

Yeah but Harrison is already 31 years old

Ware is still only 26 years of age.

I'll take Ware over Harrison as far as bulding an elite Defense goes because he's a player you can build around for years to come

the original question was "play for" your team not "build around" - in that sense yes Ware is an easy choice but again we all saw that dallas team fold like a tent in the playoffs, ware was part of that... Harrison has way more heart and fire than Ware.

the original question was "play for" your team not "build around" - in that sense yes Ware is an easy choice but again we all saw that dallas team fold like a tent in the playoffs, ware was part of that... Harrison has a way better team than Ware.

Fixed.

Some reporter might use that heart and fire stuff on Ware now though.

I wouldn't even use the word arguably. He's the best and there's no doubt in my mind about it. There's also no doubt in my mind that Nnamdi Asomugha is a close second. Not seriously threatning Ware for that top spot, but he's the clear cut #2.

Ed Reed says "what's up?"

Fixed.

Some reporter might use that heart and fire stuff on Ware now though.

let me know the next time Ware returns an INT for 100 Yard Td in the super bowl. Sorry Ware is a good player and all but he's no James Harrison. His stats are better but Harrison makes bigger plays in bigger games.

let me know the next time Ware returns an INT for 100 Yard Td in the super bowl. Sorry Ware is a good player and all but he's no James Harrison. His stats are better but Harrison makes bigger plays in bigger games.

...and he takes more HGH/Steroids.

Not to mention the guy is a complete *******.

It's not fair to compare Harrison and Ware because Harrison is now 31 years old and Ware is still only 26 years of age with the much better career numbers.

In 5 years, Harrison has 309 tackles, 28 1/2 sacks, 14 forced fumbles with 3 INT's.

In only 4 years, Ware has 299 tackles, 53 1/2 sacks, 18 forced fumbles with 1 INT.

There is no way that Harrison is the better player when compared to DeMarcus Ware, who has never had a Defense full of talented players such as the Steelers with players like, Farrior, Polamalu, Porter and Hampton.

Harrison has had two big years, Ware has had amazing seasons ever since his rookie year. This is like comparing Matt Ryan after a strong rookie season to a Drew Brees who's been elite for years now while calling Ryan the better QB.

...and he takes more HGH/Steroids.

Not to mention the guy is a complete *******.

exactly! im not holding that against him either.

harrison has a ring, ware doesn't. Harrison was DPOY and probably should have been SB MVP as well.

pure stats are all well and good but it's not about how much it's about when... Ware was great in regular season but got shut down by below average Philly tackles in a 44-6 drubbing.

Run defense is a highly over looked aspect of these guys' game. All you hear about is their bust off the edge, ability to play with leverage, and the variety of PASS RUSHING moves they possess. But you never hear about their ability to set the edge or stack and shed.

This is why I can't consider Joey Porter even a top 3 OLB. He is average against the run and I see him turning and chasing far too often.

Thanks for the honesty Aqua - Porter does get stuffed on some runs and it's always brought joy to my heart wherever he's played.

exactly! im not holding that against him either.

harrison has a ring, ware doesn't. Harrison was DPOY and probably should have been SB MVP as well.

pure stats are all well and good but it's not about how much it's about when... Ware was great in regular season but got shut down by below average Philly tackles in a 44-6 drubbing.

You cant judge a player on what he's done in a SB when a player like Ware has never had a power house Defense like Harrison has had with the Steelers, never. Dick Lebeau has also been the best 3-4 Defensive coach around and the Steelers Defense was top 5 before Harrison even became a full time starter.

When has Ware had a Hampton type of a beast at NT? When has Ware had a MLB combo of Farrior-Foote?

Put Harrison on a Defense not named the Ravens, Steelers and Patriots and see how he does compared to what Ware has done with Dallas and then we can talk because Harrison is a great player but he's also a product of a great system.

If Harrison wasn't on the Steelers, they would have still made it to the SB and thats because they have an OLB such as Woodley or Timmons who also both future monster.

Or...Just put Ware on the Steelers and put Harrison on the Cowboys...Ware would dominate

Plus James is mean. At times he makes Jack Lambert look mellow !!

;)

The teeeeaaaam Ware plaaaaays ooon has to maaaake it to the Super Booooowl.

Put James Harrison on the Cowboys and none of what you said here or after it would exist.

Next year Lamar Woodley will pass Harrison as the biggest beast Steelers LB.

Is Ware's lack of ring due to lacking heart and fire?

Epic fail.

Making one play in the Super Bowl automatically omits anything Ware has done? :headsmack:

Thanks for the honesty Aqua - Porter does get stuffed on some runs and it's always brought joy to my heart wherever he's played.

I know which player's on the Dolphins have weaknesses and what they are. ;)

But that said, Porter can still make plays behind the line of scrimmage on run plays. He's normally very good at diagnosing a play, he just tends to over persue and sometimes has problems disengaging blockers.

He's a slightly above averge run defender, but far from elite. Matt Roth, on the other hand, is one of the bet run defending OLB's in football. He was a HUGE part of our success last year and didn't get much publicity in the wake of Porter's huge sack total.

There aren't 5 34 OLB's that are better at setting the edge than Matt Roth.

Archived