The Outdoors Thread

PatriotReign37

Anything Outdoors. Guns, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Hiking, Biking, Sailing...

Places youve been, fish youve caught, Game youve shot. Any experience, question or comment.

I have a question for Law Enforcement on JN. Whats your opinion about conceal carry? Are police agencies that you know of for or against it.

I have a fishing story.

I used to live in Atlanta and 1 summer I had to have shoulder surgery and could not work. So, I trout fished virtually every day. The Chattahoochee river (Alan Jackson) runs right through Atlanta and is loaded with trout because the water is very cold.

One day I was fishing below a bridge in what the locals call "shoals". Basically, shallow water with a rocky bottom. I catch 1 fish, a brown trout about 12 inches long and I had him in my net because I wasnt sure whether I wanted to keep him or not. So, I cast the same lure back out and begin reeling it in. The lure was beat up and on its last legs. It had 2 hooks broke off and the last hook was bent and about to break.

When, the lure just stopped like I snagged a log or a rock.

I keep pulling - carefully - and its starts to move again, but its real heavy like I caught a log. It gets closer so I can see and there is a huge tail fin in the water. I eventually bring the fish in without losing it. The last hook was almost bent straight. It was a Brook Trout - which are rare in GA - 3 ounces shy of the Georgia state record.

Not my fish but similar.

brookTrout2.jpg/IMG]

I have a fishing story.

I used to live in Atlanta and 1 summer I had to have shoulder surgery and could not work. So, I trout fished virtually every day. The Chattahoochee river (Alan Jackson) runs right through Atlanta and is loaded with trout because the water is very cold.

]

Was that BEFORE or AFTER you lived in Missouri ?

I love the outdoors... most of my time outside is either at the beach or on the baseball field... i love to go freediving and spearfishing.. i have some pretty cool pics but i cant get to my photobucket at work... ill try to post some later

Great Mick. Would like to see those pics.

This is the type of outdoor activity I was looking for. Not tales of cruising the rest areas of I - 95 from those other Knuckleheads that posted earlier.

• 1 month later...
I have a fishing story.

One day I was fishing below a bridge in what the locals call "shoals". Basically, shallow water with a rocky bottom. I catch 1 fish, a brown trout about 12 inches long and I had him in my net because I wasnt sure whether I wanted to keep him or not. So, I cast the same lure back out and begin reeling it in. The lure was beat up and on its last legs. It had 2 hooks broke off and the last hook was bent and about to break.

When, the lure just stopped like I snagged a log or a rock.

I keep pulling - carefully - and its starts to move again, but its real heavy like I caught a log. It gets closer so I can see and there is a huge tail fin in the water. I eventually bring the fish in without losing it. The last hook was almost bent straight. It was a Brook Trout - which are rare in GA - 3 ounces shy of the Georgia state record.

Not my fish but similar.

.brookTrout2.jpg/IMG]

cool story reign. I told mine last year but basically I was reeling in a blackfin tuna when I heard " holy shhhhhiiiiit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" then zzzzzzziiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnggggg goes the reel. turns out a marlin ate the tuna so now i'm really fightin the fish. I worked him for about 30 minutes which seemed like 30 hours til he was right up to the boat. He spit out the tuna and swam off. apparently he didn't have it swallowed. It was quite a thrill fightin that thing i'll tell ya

The salmon are starting to stage off the shore in Lake Michigan. My brother has friends with a boat and we have a lot of great afternoons in the fall hauling them in, drinking beer, and watching the sunset.

(one of the few all-water sunsets available in the US this side of the west coast).

If you fish in the bays in and around NY and NJ on the incoming tide with either bait or lures, you can have a lot of fun going for snappers. Did so in Rockaway on Monday. Between 4 of us, we caught 40-50 snappers(lil'blues), 1 2 lb. bluefish, a 2 lb. fluke (my 6 year old nephew wanted to put weight on his line and almost gave up trying to bring it onto the dock)and my bro fought a 5-6 pound striper with relatively light tackle. We released everything we caught.

Born in Manhattan, the best city on the face of the earth, thanks; but I was conceived in the woods. I love the woods, and that fascinates me on some level. I live in there. When we first moved to the Hudson Valley from Flushing when I was eight going on nine, I would completely disappear. Funny how that was. Or perhaps not.

If I don't get in there or run through my favorite fields at least three times a week, I want to punch everyone in the face. Running wild and alone restores me. Can't say how many times I've done the fatalistic and lived. Sometimes not on purpose. My balance is horrible from a brain injury, and I love the time when I grabbed a vine like Jane on instinct to save myself from certain death. With one arm. And my middle given name is Jane. The vine held and seeing the roiling creek in slow motion many feet below with jagged rocks that were begging to kill me, all I could do was laugh when I swung back. Sore chest muscle for three days, but I'm telling you, I'll never die in there.

One day after school, when we were about 9, my big brother and I were walking on dead fallen logs over a muddy patch of forest.

Next to our log, in a watery mucky spot was a (live, upright) tree, about 3 feet away. the tree had a limb jutting straight out about chest high. My brother's challenge: Leap to the limb, swing out, swing back and land back on the log. I accepted the challenge.

I leapt.

I swung out... my feet swung properly in front of me, so I was briefly horizontal while clinging to the limb.

Then I learned about how dead limbs on live trees become brittle. The snap was barely audible.

I landed flat on my back as 8 inches of cold October brackish murk closed over my once crisp school clothes.

We're 40 and he still laughs at me about it.

...I landed flat on my back as 8 inches of cold October brackish murk closed over my once crisp school clothes.

HAH, little SOB.

Off topic (somewhat), but my husband was always in the doghouse when he was a kid - and he's so nice! Let's see now...shot a toy arrow without a suction cup at his brother's head. Didn't mean it, but kill shot, stitches. Threw a rock into space, hit the same brother by random chaos, stitches. Pillow fight, uppercut, unconscious. Hehe, and he chuckles to this day.

Born in Manhattan, the best city on the face of the earth, thanks; but I was conceived in the woods. I love the woods, and that fascinates me on some level. I live in there. When we first moved to the Hudson Valley from Flushing when I was eight going on nine, I would completely disappear. Funny how that was. Or perhaps not.

If I don't get in there or run through my favorite fields at least three times a week, I want to punch everyone in the face. Running wild and alone restores me. Can't say how many times I've done the fatalistic and lived. Sometimes not on purpose. My balance is horrible from a brain injury, and I love the time when I grabbed a vine like Jane on instinct to save myself from certain death. With one arm. And my middle given name is Jane. The vine held and seeing the roiling creek in slow motion many feet below with jagged rocks that were begging to kill me, all I could do was laugh when I swung back. Sore chest muscle for three days, but I'm telling you, I'll never die in there.

Painted a masterpiece with that description

One day after school, when we were about 9, my big brother and I were walking on dead fallen logs over a muddy patch of forest.

Next to our log, in a watery mucky spot was a (live, upright) tree, about 3 feet away. the tree had a limb jutting straight out about chest high. My brother's challenge: Leap to the limb, swing out, swing back and land back on the log. I accepted the challenge.

I leapt.

I swung out... my feet swung properly in front of me, so I was briefly horizontal while clinging to the limb.

Then I learned about how dead limbs on live trees become brittle. The snap was barely audible.

I landed flat on my back as 8 inches of cold October brackish murk closed over my once crisp school clothes.

Yet another Masterpiece

Archived