Rhodes Benched, Eric Smith deployed

s dubb

Rex to Kerry: Sit down

By Rich Cimini

Kerry Rhodes has become the first casualty of Rex Ryan's shake-up plan. The Jets' coach has demoted the underachieving safety, the Daily News reported in today's editions.

Rhodes, who began the season with the hope of making an Ed Reed-like impact in Ryan

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was the move to make.

Talent wise, there is a big drop off between Rhodes and Smith.

BUT, let's be clear here. In 3 crucial game situations (MNF, Jags, and Pats), Rhodes was in perfect position to make a game altering play (game winning in MNF & Jags) and failed to do so. On MNF & Jags it was a big pass to the TE and with the Pats it was against Welker (the Simms-disses-Rhodes play).

Rhodes claimed he was a playmaker. He has been put in "playmaking" position on crucial plays and has failed every time.

Couple that with his off-the-field interests and the benching was warranted.

I don't know how Thurman coaches - but the sissy play out of Rhodes must have struck many a nerve with Doug Plank. He played 180 degrees different from that and I don't see that changing in his coaching technique.

maybe the good news out of all of this is that the team is listening to us for a change. Maybe Schottenheimer DOES get shtcanned after the season. It should be DURING the season but the Jets don't operate that way. The one thing they will NOT hear us on is that Sanchez should be benched if only for a half after the first two picks he'll throw Sunday...maybe then...

Not this year. He's playing like crap and Smith will at least hit a guy.

I'd love to see a Leonard-Berry backfield but I know we have bigger fish to fry this offseason.

Right now, they both suck. Rhodes is more likely to run into a guy and just bounce off while Smith is more likely to trip over his own feet or just completely miss the guy he's trying to tackle all together. Although in his defense, as much as I've disliked the guy in the past, Smith hasn't been nearly as bad this year as in the past. Its certainly worth a shot and something needs to be done.

Of course, the only potential issue here is if the indication is that Rhodes was benched due solely because of his play, any friends he may have on the defensive side of the ball might take exception to his benching while Sanchez still continues to start. Not that I think it will be any major issue, but just something to think about.

Kerry Rhodes has had an extremely disappointing season and he's lost his starting job.

A source confirmed to Newsday a Foxsports.com report stating the Jets have benched Rhodes and will replace him with the more aggressive Eric Smith. It's a bold move, but one that Rex Ryan obviously felt had to be made considering Rhodes just hasn't had any kind of major impact this season.

With Ryan's 3-4 scheme, Rhodes was supposed to have an ed Reed-type of role, where he would have more freedom to make plays than he did in Eric Mangini's more conservative read-and-react scheme. But he hasn't made one single game-changing or momentum-shifting play through the first 10 games of the season and was horrible in the Jets' 34-17 loss to the Patriots at Gillette Stadium on Sunday.

Laurence Maroney absolutely plowed right over him on one tackle attempt and Maroney was all jacked up about it, turning to his sideline and pumping his arms with delight.

Rhodes' 48 tackles are third on the team, but he has zero sacks and has yet to force or recover a fumble.

When you are benched in favor of Eric Smith it is time to consider a new line of work. Eric Smith is truly a terrible football player. Having said that, this is the right move and maybe it will have the effect of a cattle prod up Rhodes' ass.

when the second worst team (would it be worse?) in the conference benches you, your trade value just plummeted

:eek:

I'll give credit where credit is due. If a guy continues to flap his gums and underperforms then the only spot for him is the bench. Rex is ok with guys talking as long as the perform, Rhodes has not been that, at all. I'm a big fan of Kerry Rhodes, but his play has been sub-par and he has so much more talent then what he's displaying. I hope this wakes him up cause have Smith out there is not gonna do us any favors whatsoever.

:eek:

I'll give credit where credit is due. If a guy continues to flap his gums and underperforms then the only spot for him is the bench. Rex is ok with guys talking as long as the perform, Rhodes has not been that, at all. I'm a big fan of Kerry Rhodes, but his play has been sub-par and he has so much more talent then what he's displaying. I hope this wakes him up cause have Smith out there is not gonna do us any favors whatsoever.

yea but at least he'll lay the wood 8-9 something that Rhodes is unable to do anymore and one thing that that position demands is hard hitting. Who knows maybe Smith will grow into a good safety back there with Leonhard helping him out.

when the second worst team (would it be worse?) in the conference benches you, your trade value just plummeted

Teams worse than us:

Cleveland

Oakland

Buffalo (yes, they're worse because if you argue they are better, then you can argue we're better than Tennessee)

KC

yea but at least he'll lay the wood 8-9 something that Rhodes is unable to do anymore and one thing that that position demands is hard hitting. Who knows maybe Smith will grow into a good safety back there with Leonhard helping him out.

Laying the wood isn't a pre-requisite of the job. Playing cover and being able to actually COVER people is more of an important factor when you're in the secondary then "hitting hard". If you want a guy who does nothing but hit hard we should've signed Roy Williams.

To me this is more of a motivational/statement move. For some reason I don't get the feeling the Rhodes is a super popular veteran on the team. Perhaps his "me me me" persona is something that everyone on the team notices so it's also not a move that puts Rex at risk of alienating the team.

Kerry Rhodes has had an awful season. He stands so far back on the line, how could he ever get involved in a play. Maybe he doesn't want to get a scratch on that pretty face of his. Ruin his career (not in football).

Whenever Eric Smith has been on the field, he has made plays. He definitely deserves this chance and I hope that he can really make something of it.

Remember when we have all been waiting for Calvin Pace to finally get into the game after the suspension? Does he know his suspension has been lifted? He's another one that should be benched.

Our season is over, so why not give others a chance to show what they can do. This is a way to check out other players, since we don't have great draft picks left. Make what we have work. Sanchez has to stay in for the experience he really needs, the other players that aren't playing up to their standards, let someone else try out for that position on the field, in a real game. Then we will see what we have and what needs changing. Don't wait for next year, it will be too late again to start all over. START NOW for next season.

Schotty - - - he can go, too.

Rhodes has been awful this season, awful. So this doesnt surprise me.

However, Eric Smith is ****ing terrible. He didnt get the start because he's a better player, he's starting because Rhodes is a disappointment.

I hope I'm wrong, but this isnt a good thing for our defense because more often than not, Smith is liability.

This looks like a great message, but if Smith is toast out there...oh boy!

Its about time but Rex cant only scapegoat Kerry CUPCAKE Rhodes theres others both sides of the ball.

You know, this may have some merit. Kerry has been the fans favorite target, scapegoat if you will.

But again, how can you knock 1 guy for not making big plays when NOBODY on this team makes a big play. NOBODY!!! That is the biggest problem with this team, we dont know how to win and we dont have a single player on this team that can step up and make a play when we need it.

But it's all Kerry fault when nobody on the D makes any plays.

You know, this may have some merit. Kerry has been the fans favorite target, scapegoat if you will.

But again, how can you knock 1 guy for not making big plays when NOBODY on this team makes a big play. NOBODY!!! That is the biggest problem with this team, we dont know how to win and we dont have a single player on this team that can step up and make a play when we need it.

But it's all Kerry fault when nobody on the D makes any plays.

But at the same time this is a guy touting himself for the Pro-bowl, saying he is a playmaker, that the playmaker is HIS ROLE in this defense. The other issue is that Rex seems to want players who are accountable for their actions, how often have we seen Rhodes just toss his hands up like "WTF!" and perhaps that is rubbing Rex, and the team, the wrong way.

I like Rhodes, but I actually don't mind the move- as long as the long-term goal includes getting him back in the line-up. As a coach you have to play your best talent, but you also need to have your talent perform at their best.

Let it be known, that while I was defending him - I was never saying he was having a good year. Up until the last game he wasn't the liability most of you were making him out to be. He has definitely regressed throughout the year.

He'll be back though, too much potential.

But at the same time this is a guy touting himself for the Pro-bowl, saying he is a playmaker, that the playmaker is HIS ROLE in this defense. The other issue is that Rex seems to want players who are accountable for their actions, how often have we seen Rhodes just toss his hands up like "WTF!" and perhaps that is rubbing Rex, and the team, the wrong way.

I like Rhodes, but I actually don't mind the move- as long as the long-term goal includes getting him back in the line-up. As a coach you have to play your best talent, but you also need to have your talent perform at their best.

Oh no, I agree. I've been a Rhodes supporter, but enough is enough. He's playing terrible Football. And tweeting for Pro Bowl votes is about the gheyest thing I've ever seen. Totally gheyness when you are playing like a whomping vagina.

I like the move too, but I think him being a scapegoat has merit. Its not like other players on the team dont talk a big game and dont back it up. It seems to be the way of the 09 NY Jets.

Archived