Rhodes Benched, Eric Smith deployed

s dubb

FOX Sports' Jay Glazer reports that Jets players tell him the team is benching FS Kerry Rhodes in favor of Eric Smith.

While Rhodes was the starting free safety for the No. 4 pass defense in the first ten games, he hasn't made a big play all year (no picks, zero forced fumbles, only five pass breakups). He signed a $33.5M extension two offseasons ago, but Rex Ryan is clearly trying to send a message. Ultimately, Rhodes' benching shouldn't stick. The Jets' biggest problems are turnovers on offense and a passing "attack" that's plummeted to 28th in the league. Nov. 25 - 1:30 am et

-----------------------------------------

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm guessing that it has to do with something he did or said not just the way he's played because he's better the Smith.

Not this year. He's playing like crap and Smith will at least hit a guy.

I'd love to see a Leonard-Berry backfield but I know we have bigger fish to fry this offseason.

I wonder if it has more to do with off the field stuff? Focusing on non football events? Not sure -- Kerry hasn't been great, I am surprised he is getting benched.

That is a pretty big message. That play where he came in with his shoulder on a late pass -- I think that pissed Rex off. He wanted a bone jarring hit there. Kerry seemed to be a second late.

That play where he came in with his shoulder on a late pass -- I think that pissed Rex off. He wanted a bone jarring hit there. Kerry seemed to be a second late.

He was re-positioning a tampon and got a late start.

Rhodes had better wake up quick. I saw Smith running around 3 steps behind Faulk and Welker and it wasn't pretty.

but at least he'll hit something once he gets there Dom and after contact who knows what can happen...Rhodes isn't getting there either and then applying pu$$y hits

Make no mistake, the fact that Eric Smith is starting for the Jets is an indictment to just how ****!y the talent on this roster really is once you get past the top 15-18 players. Teams will pass the ball for record numbers the last 6 games with the safeties we have now. I actually feel bad for Jim Leonhard.

Make no mistake, the fact that Eric Smith is starting for the Jets is an indictment to just how ****!y the talent on this roster really is once you get past the top 15-18 players. Teams will pass the ball for record numbers the last 6 games with the safeties we have now. I actually feel bad for Jim Leonhard.

I predicted that this is the week that the defense finally says "FCK IT!!!". We saw it happen in 2005 with Bollinger and 15-45 minutes TOP differences. I don't see us winning another game this year TS.

on a side note; Classic commentary on the Clowney Twitter stuff

TS i concur with you, 3-0 blinded me for sure

The Defense is not close to being elite when you depend on 1 player

like Jenkins.

Aside from Revis, (leonard is OK, not able to cover HOF welker though)

secondary is bad, real bad.

Harris is ok, but did you see him try to cover welker lol) BT good start

has fizzled, Ellis is old, Douglas a Jag

Scott is playing hurt with a sprained MCL, not saying much about it

but it is affected his play

devito a decent backup as is Pouha.

All in all you were right, the depth is very bad.

The OL for all the #1 picks on line is average, we could not run vs pats

in 1H and it led to a terrible performance by sanchez.

what i thought was a 2010 window, has now closed, unless rex is able

to convince about 4 good FA's to climb aboard. we certianly do not have

the draft picks to fill our needs.

also forgot to add, that my man Leon will probably not be the same player

i say a prayer for him every week, wish he would have dumped his

terrible agent

so our #1 playmaker has prob gone by way side, unless miracle occurs

not only that afos but he in his absence has shown us WHO the heart and soul of this team really was

not only that afos but he in his absence has shown us WHO the heart and soul of this team really was

Yep, he kept opposing coaches awake at night

just wondering if tanny could have offered thomas and rhodes instead

of trusnik and elam.

Elam at least lays the wood and Trusnik has been playing well for Brownies

people would have gone apesh1t at time, but in the end we would have been

better off

Now BT and Rhodes will be ba bye next year for nada

On Boomer & Carton this morning, they said part of the reason for the benching was supposedly due to Rhodes failing to lay a big hit on Welker when he had the opportunity.

Cimini coming up on Boomer & Carton.

Actually, he's on NOW.

On Boomer & Carton this morning, they said part of the reason for the benching was supposedly due to Rhodes failing to lay a big hit on Welker when he had the opportunity.

I bet it was. That was 1 of the most embarassing plays I have ever seen.

Rhodes is done as a Jet. No way he is back on the team next year.

but at least he'll hit something once he gets there Dom and after contact who knows what can happen...Rhodes isn't getting there either and then applying pu$$y hits

No Jimmy, he'll hit something if he gets there. Odd are he won't. The biggest problem on this is the slow LBs in coverage. Taking speed away from the safety position is not going to help. Smith has looked bad in coverage in the past and he looked bad on Sunday. He's not getting a promotion because of his play, he's getting it based on Rhodes'.

crappy front office syndrome...they sign this stiff and leave Leon unsigned when he's the heart and soul of this team

Oh bull****. This entire board was clamoring to lock Rhodes up and whining it took so long. Now you're in a tizzy about Leon? Suppose they signed Leon to a $9M/year deal before he got hurt. Wouldn't that be great? All that guaranteed money on the books for a RFA who might never play again. Smart! You can blame them for coaching or talent evaluation, but as far as contracts go, this FO has been on the money. Biggest blunders were Revis and Kendall and the Revis deal may well turn out to be the best move they have made.

Good for that squat to pee wanker=D>

Archived