~~~***Official Winter Olympics Thread***~~~

vanDoug

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There were a few bad crashes in that race.

I hate to laugh at someone else's misery but did you see the French chick who wiped out seconds out of the gate? That was hysterical.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apquEbvD7-Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apquEbvD7-Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

the entire ladies downhill seems sketchy

"yeah bob we're down here and Lindsey Vonn uses Men ski's. No other woman can use these huge men's ski's despite their clear advantage. All of the other women are using women's skis. Vonn makes mistake after mistake and still barrells down the hill like a ****ing freight train. She's about six inches taller than all the other girls... and has man-hands. But she looks great in a bikini and I'm attracted to that so she's clearly a woman. Back to you Bob!"

225px-Bend_Her.jpg

the entire ladies downhill seems sketchy

"yeah bob we're down here and Lindsey Vonn uses Men ski's. No other woman can use these huge men's ski's despite their clear advantage. All of the other women are using women's skis. Vonn makes mistake after mistake and still barrells down the hill like a ****ing freight train. She's about six inches taller than all the other girls... and has man-hands. But she looks great in a bikini and I'm attracted to that so she's clearly a woman. Back to you Bob!"

225px-Bend_Her.jpg

You're nuts if you think Lindsey Vonn is manly.

The "curl" refers to the motion of the rock across the ice, caused by the rotation a thrower puts on it. Sweeping takes the curl out once the proper line is established, by polishing the ice and reducing the friction between the ice and the rock.

I've done this. It's fun.

n683518021_1380669_7509.jpg

Looks like it would be a nice afternoon with a few ales, like bocce or horseshoes. And given the odd events that are Olympic sports(ballroom dancing for a time, syncronized swimming) why not? By the same token they took women's softball out because it was noncompetitive and rugby still isn't in.

You're nuts if you think Lindsey Vonn is manly.

I just want an explanation... she is the only woman using men's ski's... and men's ski's apparently are a huge advantage... and no one else can use them and maintain control... and she's half a foot taller than the field... it just seems shady. like when a tranny wears size 13 pumps.

I just want an explanation... she is the only woman using men's ski's... and men's ski's apparently are a huge advantage... and no one else can use them and maintain control... and she's half a foot taller than the field... it just seems shady. like when a tranny wears size 13 pumps.

She's 5'10 160. http://www.usskiteam.com/alpine/athletes/athlete?athleteId=1001 You're making it sound like she's 6'5 240!

But to answer your question, in Alpine skiing she's a thoroughbred amongst ponies. And wearing men's (aka longer) skis doesn't make her a man. Get real, bit.

FYI.. Kaylin Richardson is 5'10 150 would you say she's a man? http://www.usskiteam.com/alpine/athletes/athlete?athleteId=1045

But to answer your question, in Alpine skiing she's a thoroughbred amongst ponies.

that's my point exactly... they dont race ponies in the kentucky derby... maybe im just a cynic but when i hear about a woman wearing man's shoes i start to wonder. she's either a once in a hundred years talent or something is shady... do you believe in miracles? :rim:

that's my point exactly... they dont race ponies in the kentucky derby... maybe im just a cynic but when i hear about a woman wearing man's shoes i start to wonder. she's either a once in a hundred years talent or something is shady... do you believe in miracles? :rim:

But the thing is, she's a perfectly normal size for a female athlete. If you are suggesting that she uses some kind of performance enhancer.. I couldn't comment on that/have no clue. But by your logic, you could say the same thing about many other (Olympic) athletes, man or woman, who seem to be aberrations in their sport.

It is also possible that she is just an amazing athlete. It happens.

But the thing is, she's a perfectly normal size for a female athlete. If you are suggesting that she uses some kind of performance enhancer.. I couldn't comment on that/have no clue. But by your logic, you could say the same thing about many other (Olympic) athletes, man or woman, who seem to be aberrations in their sport.

It is also possible that she is just an amazing athlete. It happens.

yeh i guess it is possible shes just amazing... dont really think she has actual man parts or anything but im just pointing out how huge she was compared to the other girls... and the men ski's thing is wierd...

truthfully i think it would be hilarious if that did come out then all these dudes would have to deal with their attraction to a man... lol... maybe she is an XX who took something at some point...

the way they broke down her run, she made tons of mistakes, that girl mancuso actually skiied better run... but she had bigger skis, more mass and generally was just bigger... and won.

I mean look at her... its like not even fair to race her with these other girls...

2029702219-18022010064937.jpg

all this being said I was really entertained by the snowboarding... it was dangerous and fun the skiing was just flat out dangerous.

yeh i guess it is possible shes just amazing... dont really think she has actual man parts or anything but im just pointing out how huge she was compared to the other girls... and the men ski's thing is wierd...

truthfully i think it would be hilarious if that did come out then all these dudes would have to deal with their attraction to a man... lol... maybe she is an XX who took something at some point...

the way they broke down her run, she made tons of mistakes, that girl mancuso actually skiied better run... but she had bigger skis, more mass and generally was just bigger... and won.

I mean look at her... its like not even fair to race her with these other girls...

2029702219-18022010064937.jpg

all this being said I was really entertained by the snowboarding... it was dangerous and fun the skiing was just flat out dangerous.

I'm just not seeing anything unusual here. She's 5'10 and those gals are like 5'5/5'6.

The difference between Mancuso's time and Vonn's was .56 of a second.. Not as if Vonn destroyed her; even using men's skis. So, how much better would Mancuso's time have been if she used the longer skis? I guess Vonn isn't such an aberration, afterall. ;)

I'm just not seeing anything unusual here. She's 5'10 and those gals are like 5'5/5'6.

The difference between Mancuso's time and Vonn's was .56 of a second.. Not as if Vonn destroyed her; even using men's skis. So, how much better would Mancuso's time have been if she used the longer skis? I guess Vonn isn't such an aberration, afterall. ;)

mancuso can't use the longer ski's! no one except Vonn can do it! that's the shady part... the sideline reporters (ski-hill reporters?) were like "yeh Lindsey Vonn uses men's skis and the other girls are trying to catch up. No one else can wear them and maintain control. Nothing shady here. She's very pretty. Back to you, Bob!"

it would make sense that a bigger person gets more speed going as they go down hill... vonn is very big... great.

anyway like i said that was just a warmup for the snowboarding which kicked ass...

mancuso can't use the longer ski's! no one except Vonn can do it! that's the shady part... the sideline reporters (ski-hill reporters?) were like "yeh Lindsey Vonn uses men's skis and the other girls are trying to catch up. No one else can wear them and maintain control. Nothing shady here. She's very pretty. Back to you, Bob!"

it would make sense that a bigger person gets more speed going as they go down hill... vonn is very big... great.

anyway like i said that was just a warmup for the snowboarding which kicked ass...

I still don't think Vonn is unusually big for an athlete. And the fact that she uses longer skis means nothing. I heard one of the commentators wondering out loud why the other skiers CHOSE not to wear the longer skis on this course.. as if they had done so in previous events/different conditions.

Oh well.. I do respect your POV, just don't agree.

The snowboarding kicked ass, indeed! :)

And the fact that she uses longer skis means nothing.

im not a skier but my impression was that the longer skis give an advantage on a rougher hill... and that no one else had the strength to use those skis but vonn.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2009-12-19/sports/17331786_1_super-combined-lindsey-vonn-world-cup

http://m.nbcolympics.com/inf/infomo?site=oly&view=sportstory&feed:a=news_as&feed:c=news_as&feed:i=95FA59A9D1F7C19D1AB3C8D5EBB2B3C0&sport=AS

im not a skier but my impression was that the longer skis give an advantage on a rougher hill... and that no one else had the strength to use those skis but vonn.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2009-12-19/sports/17331786_1_super-combined-lindsey-vonn-world-cup

http://m.nbcolympics.com/inf/infomo?site=oly&view=sportstory&feed:a=news_as&feed:c=news_as&feed:i=95FA59A9D1F7C19D1AB3C8D5EBB2B3C0&sport=AS

From the second link...

"it might seem like an unfair advantage. Conventional wisdom, however, has always held that men’s skis are too hard to turn for women. That’s why women don’t use them, and that’s probably why they didn’t think to try them. If you ask Lindsey's husband Thomas, a former U.S. Ski Team member and an incurable tinkerer, he’ll tell you the ski community is a slave to convention."

Did you read this paragraph? Esp the last sentence.. says a lot. Wanna make a bet we'll see more women using men's skis in the future?

Did you read this paragraph? Esp the last sentence.. says a lot. Wanna make a bet we'll see more women using men's skis in the future?

they will try... i dont know that they will succeed... unless they are as big and heavy as vonn... in that link she admitted she was bigger and heavier than the others...

like i said there are 2 explanations. either she's the best female skier in history... or...

they will try... i dont know that they will succeed... unless they are as big and heavy as vonn... in that link she admitted she was bigger and heavier than the others...

like i said there are 2 explanations. either she's the best female skier in history... or...

5'10 160lb (Vonn) vs 5'6 140lb (ave female skier).. it's not THAT big of a difference.

Wow that Swedish chick almost broke her neck.

The course clearly got worse as the afternoon wore on. That's another thing about Vonn's use of men's skis. At least a couple of the skiers just before Vonn fell, Vonn comes barrelassing down the hill in men's skis in fine form, then the next three women or so fall.

The last woman to ski, who had a mathematical chance to beat Vonn, simply took it easy and safe down the course, electing to finish the course in one piece instead of putting it on the line to win. Can't say I blame her.

This not the only course at this Olympics where the competitors are having trouble because it is built too fast.

**squeak-squeak**

Canada men squeak by Switzerland in hockey. On paper this should not have been close. But on the other hand you have a bunch of millionaire hockey stars playing against a team that was prepared, well coached and playing as a team. Sadly for the Swiss the game's outcome came down to a shootout and individual play.

Maybe it was the wakeup these stars needed, maybe they can't play like a team. Canada vs. US - Sunday at 4 local time. One of the hottest tickets so far in these games.

**squeak-squeak**

Canada men squeak by Switzerland in hockey. On paper this should not have been close. But on the other hand you have a bunch of millionaire hockey stars playing against a team that was prepared, well coached and playing as a team. Sadly for the Swiss the game's outcome came down to a shootout and individual play.

Maybe it was the wakeup these stars needed, maybe they can't play like a team. Canada vs. US - Sunday at 4 local time. One of the hottest tickets so far in these games.

That Sunday game is huge - Canadians stuggle againat the Swiss was surprising. Play OT till a winner like plyoff hockey

USA women finally won in curling. They beat the Russians 6-4 in 10 ends

Yep. They're showing signs of finding their groove. It would be nice if the men would do the same. It might already be too late for either of them to make the medal round.

Archived