Rotoworld: Jets Talking Trade (Brandon Marshall): MERGED

Ghost

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

The Jets are having internal discussions regarding restricted free agent Brandon Marshall, sources tell Mike Lombardi of the National Football Post.

Lombardi says the Jets would "love to put together a package of players that might entice the Broncos and still keep their first-round pick." It's hard to see the Broncos giving up their petulant star without getting a top pick, but Marshall would be a nice fit opposite Braylon Edwards. This news also sheds some light on what the Jets think of Jerricho Cotchery.

It's getting brought up again.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brandon Marshall-WR-Broncos Mar. 14 - 9:52 am et

The Jets are having internal discussions regarding restricted free agent Brandon Marshall, sources tell Mike Lombardi of the National Football Post.

Lombardi says the Jets would "love to put together a package of players that might entice the Broncos and still keep their first-round pick." It's hard to see the Broncos giving up their petulant star without getting a top pick, but Marshall would be a nice fit opposite Braylon Edwards. This news also sheds some light on what the Jets think of Jerricho Cotchery.

Source: National Football Post

Related: Jerricho Cotchery, Jets

Kerry and Braylon are good buddies, so i wonder if now that Kerry is off to the desert, braylon wouldnt care about a trade..

i know i am just grasping at straws but that might have something to do with it.

Though i dont want to lose Jerricho. OY!

Kerry and Braylon are good buddies, so i wonder if now that Kerry is off to the desert, braylon wouldnt care about a trade..

i know i am just grasping at straws but that might have something to do with it.

Though i dont want to lose Jerricho. OY!

Braylon is already on the Jets.

Oh, you mean use Edwards as trade bait?

If we are planning on going receiver in the first round then I say go ahead and give up #29. Receiver is one of the ****tiest positions to try and draft/develop anyway, I'd rather go with a proven one, all be it a proven headcase as well.

That is my view. Draft RB. Trade for or go after FA WRs.

RB often do their best work during their rookie contract; WR typically don't do much until the 3rd or 4th year.

Braylon is already on the Jets.

Oh, you mean use Edwards as trade bait?

OY!

cmon NS... you thought i didnt know that Braylon wasnt on the team..??? :rolleyes:

maybe it was all his dropped balls that confused me. LOL :lol:

yes, trade bait.

If we are planning on going receiver in the first round then I say go ahead and give up #29. Receiver is one of the ****tiest positions to try and draft/develop anyway, I'd rather go with a proven one, all be it a proven headcase as well.

Agreed but that's a mighty big IF. I can see us going defense in the 1st round. We need some quality depth at several positions especially DE. ::GoJets:

hey Bill how many trades can you remember between the old AFL teams? Not many-maybe one between NY and Denver (Matt Robinson)

You are 100% correct Jimmy. If a trade goes down with the Jets, we will be giving up a small ransom...I don't see it happening.

Brandon Marshall-WR-Broncos Mar. 14 - 9:52 am et

Source: National Football Post

Related: Jerricho Cotchery, Jets

This "news" sheds light on what the "source" thinks of J-Co. Not the Jets.

You are 100% correct Jimmy. If a trade goes down with the Jets, we will be giving up a small ransom...I don't see it happening.

there's still a lot of jealousy and resentment between those teams-the Jets were HATED for being THE team that helped make the merger possible back in 1970

I don't recall the exact language....but I do recall reading that teams under final 8 restrictions can't trade for a player they would not be otherwise allowed to sign as an RFA. This trade may not even be legal (unless the Jets lose a RFA)

no we can make trades with anybody bro...no restrictions on trades

If they tendered him as a 1st rounder, cotchery and a 2nd should be enough to get it done

F* that! Whether we have Braylon or Brandon here, Cotchery would still be the team's only reliable receiver. I'd be pissed if they included Jerricho in a deal.

yeah but without giving up #29, I don't know how you get it done without giving them Edwards.

Here's my proposal:

Braylon + Leon for Brandon + a 3rd rounder.

Tanny would love that! (...and then promptly trade up!)

Trading a WR for a WR would not take the Jets out of the WR market in the draft, either, IMHO. Just like I don't see them being out of the CB or S market this year.

Here's my proposal:

Trading a WR for a WR would not take the Jets out of the WR market in the draft, either, IMHO. Just like I don't see them being out of the CB or S market this year.

which would mean we'd HAVE to finalize that Tomlinson deal

F* that! Whether we have Braylon or Brandon here, Cotchery would still be the team's only reliable receiver. I'd be pissed if they included Jerricho in a deal.

Here's my proposal:

That would definitely be a small ransom. Braylon, Leon (we have a second round tender on him) and a third...that's a lot. Trade up for what then? A WR? I don't see the Jets trading up for any offenisve player this year.

That would definitely be a small ransom. Braylon, Leon (we have a second round tender on him) and a third...that's a lot. Trade up for what then? A WR? I don't see the Jets trading up for any offenisve player this year.

He said Braylon + Leon for Brandon + 3rd rounder.

So we'd slide back from the late 2nd to the mid 3rd. So basically, we're saying that slide back is the difference between Braylon and Brandon.

The key here is to SIGN Brandon Marshall (remember, Braylon is probably happy with the 5M he's going to make, Brandon Marshall is not happy with the tender) and sign LT if you are going to do this.

I honestly don't think they do that deal. 2nd + 4th, get it done.

He said Braylon + Leon for Brandon + 3rd rounder.

So we'd slide back from the late 2nd to the mid 3rd. So basically, we're saying that slide back is the difference between Braylon and Brandon.

The key here is to SIGN Brandon Marshall (remember, Braylon is probably happy with the 5M he's going to make, Brandon Marshall is not happy with the tender) and sign LT if you are going to do this.

I honestly don't think they do that deal. 2nd + 4th, get it done.

Okay...we would get their third then. I could live with that.

which would mean we'd HAVE to finalize that Tomlinson deal

I think if LT signs with the Jets, that Leon is gone for the best offer they can get.

I think you misunderstood.

Jets give Braylon & Leon, Jets get Brandon & a 3rd. Probably overestimating that pick, though, maybe a 4th.

Tanny trades up every year. I don't know what it would be for, although I think the only real starter gap the Jets have right now is at DE (a 3-4 DE, not the OLB some folks around here want).

But if they trade a WR for a WR, they could (and probably should) take another one in the draft - and one the early side. No depth at that position right now. None.

I think if LT signs with the Jets, that Leon is gone for the best offer they can get.

I think you misunderstood.

Jets give Braylon & Leon, Jets get Brandon & a 3rd. Probably overestimating that pick, though, maybe a 4th.

Tanny trades up every year. I don't know what it would be for, although I think the only real starter gap the Jets have right now is at DE (a 3-4 DE, not the OLB some folks around here want).

But if they trade a WR for a WR, they could (and probably should) take another one in the draft - and one the early side. No depth at that position right now. None.

Yes, reading comprehension doesn't seem to be my strong suit today...more coffee please.

whoever says they wouldnt take edwards and marshall over cotchery and whoever is completely retarded just sayin

C'mon buddy, man up! Quote me when you're calling me a retard, I can take it.

Edwards and Marshall would represent a ton of talent, a sh!tload of baggage, and even more dropped passes. I would definitely want some sort of rock at WR to counterbalance one of them, let alone two.

Agreed.

Agreed but that's a mighty big IF. I can see us going defense in the 1st round. We need some quality depth at several positions especially DE. ::GoJets:

Agreed.

With all the moves we've made so far, I want a DE or a WR. So if our intention is to draft a WR first round, then definitely trade for the proven commidity. However, something tells me we are going D. And I'd love to see us take a DE in this draft. Like you pointed out, depth and are youth in that position might just be career back ups. Time to start looking for the future. Thing is, I think there is going to be some talent in the 2nd round.

Trading Cotchery is idiotic on any level.

Cotchery has the best hands on the team and better hands than Marshall and certainly Edwards. He's the perfect "we need a 1st down and we know he's going to catch it."

That said, I don't trust anything Mike Lombardi said.

Remember, Lombardi told Bill Simmons "The Sports Guy" that the Patriots were better off getting blown out by the Ravens rather than winning the game because the Pats would be free to spend what they want on free agency.

Yeah, that's helped out the Pats thus far with all their free agent splurging.

Archived