Rotoworld: Jets Talking Trade (Brandon Marshall): MERGED

Ghost

We just got rid of one jerk-off. I guess theres room to bring another in. I think we're ok with what we have and should look at other needs. Granted Marshall is a talent upgrade but what does that really mean in points on the board vs. other potential BS.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't recall the exact language....but I do recall reading that teams under final 8 restrictions can't trade for a player they would not be otherwise allowed to sign as an RFA. This trade may not even be legal (unless the Jets lose a RFA)

Final 8 have no restrictions on signing or trading for RFAs only UFAs. The Jets, Colts, Vikings, and Saints can sign as many RFAs as they want as long as they have the draft picks to match the compensation and don't have to wait to lose an RFA like they do UFAs

The trade restrictions on UFAs is to prevent teams from doing "sign and trade" deals.

Jets give Braylon & Leon, Jets get Brandon & a 3rd. Probably overestimating that pick, though, maybe a 4th.

I think that's still wishful thinking.

Assuming Leon's trade value IS a 2nd rounder, which it might not even be no matter what we tagged him at, we'd be getting Marshall for Edwards, then a trade down from round 2 to round 3 (which is roughly a 3rd round pick value itself) for Leon's tagged value.

Mathematically, you're proposing the equivalent of Edwards + a 3rd for Marshall. If (IF) the Jets were willing to settle on a 3rd for Leon with any trade partner, which is possible, then it's roughly an even swap Edwards for Marshall.

I think it would take more than that unless the time comes where Denver doesn't want to go one day longer with Marshall on their team.

The Jets most certainly do not think they need an upgrade because of Cotchery. Cotch is the best receiver on the team, Bmarsh would just be an other piece to make the offense more balanced.

J-Co is one of my favorite players in the league... but he is already third on the list of talented Jets receivers behind or TE Keller an Edwards and would fall to fourth on the talent list if they could somehow manage to get Marshall.

Again... I love Cotchery and he is an important part of our team who I hope remains an important part for along time... but he is the best receiver because Keller hasn't quite put everything together and Braylon was learning the offense and dropped a couple of sure TDs.

I just don't understand how everybody overrates Cotchery so much. He is a low end 1 or a high end 2 IMO. I love him because he plays with heart and plays the game the way it should be played. Braylon and Marshall are both either high end 1s or have the ability to be a high end 1.

Assuming Leon's trade value IS a 2nd rounder, which it might not even be no matter what we tagged him at, we'd be getting Marshall for Edwards, then a trade down from round 2 to round 3 (which is roughly a 3rd round pick value itself) for Leon's tagged value.

Mathematically, you're proposing the equivalent of Edwards + a 3rd for Marshall. If (IF) the Jets were willing to settle on a 3rd for Leon with any trade partner, which is possible, then it's roughly an even swap Edwards for Marshall.

I think it would take more than that unless the time comes where Denver doesn't want to go one day longer with Marshall on their team.

The difference between #61 (our 2nd) and #80 (Denver's 3rd) is 102 draft points is right between the 3rd and 4th pick in the 4th round.

Of course, if Denver signed Leon, it would be #45, and the difference between #45 and #80 is the top of round 3.

The difference between #61 (our 2nd) and #80 (Denver's 3rd) is 102 draft points is right between the 3rd and 4th pick in the 4th round.

Of course, if Denver signed Leon, it would be #45, and the difference between #45 and #80 is the top of round 3.

I said the value is rouglhly that of A 3rd, not OUR 3rd. If we got a 2nd for Leon, it would not be our own 2nd rounder we receive in compensation.

Could be. It's my proposal, the final version might be a little different. :)

But I think Brandon and Leon were both tendered at levels designed to attract offers, while Braylon was tendered at the prohibitive 1st & 3rd level. If the Broncos really want Marshall gone, Edwards would be a reasonable replacement, and Leon would help fill any void. The Jets would upgrade at WR, and get the pick they want (maybe not quite as high) for Leon.

Could be. It's my proposal, the final version might be a little different. :)

But I think Brandon and Leon were both tendered at levels designed to attract offers, while Braylon was tendered at the prohibitive 1st & 3rd level. If the Broncos really want Marshall gone, Edwards would be a reasonable replacement, and Leon would help fill any void. The Jets would upgrade at WR, and get the pick they want (maybe not quite as high) for Leon.

That they were tendered at those levels doesn't mean the team will receive those levels. Keep in mind, when tendering a player a team only gets to pick the rounds, not what part of the rounds. I take for granted that a mid-high first has more value than a low first + a 3rd. Basically, Marshall has more than 3rd round value higher than Edwards (for a team that is willing put up with his act) no matter what they were tendered at.

That they were tendered at those levels doesn't mean the team will receive those levels. Keep in mind, when tendering a player a team only gets to pick the rounds, not what part of the rounds. I take for granted that a mid-high first has more value than a low first + a 3rd. Basically, Marshall has more than 3rd round value higher than Edwards (for a team that is willing put up with his act) no matter what they were tendered at.

I understand all of that completely.

It all comes down to how motivated the Broncos are to move Marshall, and then whether they'd prefer a package with a decent #1 WR as part of the deal, or if they'd rather roll the dice on a draft pick.

I'm just speculating. I can't argue the idea.

Horrible decision, hopefully nothing comes out of this. Want zero part of Marshall. The dude is a head case and will get himself in trouble once again and will be suspended for a minimum of 8 games, if not an entire season. Do not waste $ on this piece of ****.

Cotchery is a terrific possession receiver. Cotch + Edwards or Cotch + Marshall works. Edwards + Marshall will not work. All three will not work. Chemistry, balance and defined roles are just as important as raw talent to putting together an effective group of receivers. Getting a slot received will round out what we already have on the team without trading players and/or picks. Although Marshall is the better talent, I am for sticking with Edwards & Cotchery at this point.

For the Newsday impaired, here's Bob Glauber's take:

Are the Jets interested in Brandon Marshall again?

19 m ago By Bob Glauber

Shortly before the Jets traded for Browns receiver Braylon Edwards, they poked around about Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall.

The Broncos were willing to consider the idea, but the asking price got too high once they requested that linebacker David Harris be part of the package. The Jets then opted to deal for Edwards.

The rumor mill is starting to crank back up with Marshall, as Michael Lombardi of the NationalFootballPost said he is hearing some chatter that the Jets are still interested in the talented, yet troubled receiver.

"I keep hearing from my Jets sources that they're having internal discussions regarding Brandon Marshall and would love to put together a package of players that might entice the Broncos and still keep their first-round pick," Lombardi writes.

Because Marshall is a restricted free agent, the Jets would have to hand over some stiff draft choice compensation. The Broncos tendered Marshall at a first-round level, although it's still possible they'd accept less than that in a trade offer. Denver seems ready to part ways with Marshall, who is one of the most prolific receivers on the field, but a troubled character off it.

In last month's trial of Willie Clark, who was convicted of murdering former Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams, Marshall's testimony indicated he was the likely target of the shooting, and that Williams was mistakenly shot instead. Marshall got into a scuffle with Clark earlier in the night at a Denver nightclub, and the altercation eventually escalated into the shooting that took Williams' life.

Marshall was also suspended by Broncos first-year coach Josh McDaniels during training camp because Marshall had acted out during practice because of what the team believed was his unhappiness about his contract situation.

There's no questioning Marshall's talent - he has had three straight 1,000-yard seasons - and at age 25 is in the prime of his career. At 6-4, 230 pounds, he has prototype size and speed to be one of the league's dominant receivers for years to come.

But the off-field issues should be a red flag for any team looking to sign Marshall, including the Jets. Rex Ryan has built a very good locker room in terms of chemistry, and there have really been no problem players for a coach who likes to bluster and puff his chest. But adding Marshall is risky in terms of that equation.

His contract is also a thorny issue. Marshall is looking for a megabucks deal, somewhere in the neighborhood of $10 million a season. With Antonio Bryant and Anquan Boldin already getting deals worth $8 million a year, the price will go even higher for Marshall.

It's still uncertain whether the Jets are truly intererested in Marshall - they're not saying at this point - but they need to think long and hard about this one. Not only do they get a receiver with a volatile personality, but they also face the possibility of Edwards holding out in a contract dispute of his own.

Remember, Edwards is a restricted free agent himself, and the Jets have shown no urgency toward reworking his deal. Chances are he'd be looking for a trade of his own if the Jets were willing to break the bank in a trade for Marshall and not re-do Edwards' contract.

So we'll leave the Jets with these two words of advice when considering whether to deal for Marshall: buyer beware.

i can't imagine what kind of realistic package the Jets could put together for Marshall that wouldn't include a 1st rounder and/or players that wouldn't compromise the team.

what positions do we have any great depth at that we could spare a starter?

just the idea of the organization trying to come up with a trade for marshall shows their mentality is clearly relentless in trying to do whatever it can to improve the team.

kudos for that, but i think the jets can win without marshall. keep jericho.

Na, never did the twitter thing. Whats up though?

Join up bro-there's a lot of us already on it and we're getting all the NFL news in real time-let me know through PM if you need any help-it's worth the join, I joined last week and am really enjoying it-some good Jets talk and posters on it

I don't recall the exact language....but I do recall reading that teams under final 8 restrictions can't trade for a player they would not be otherwise allowed to sign as an RFA. This trade may not even be legal (unless the Jets lose a RFA)

marshall isn't a ufa whose contract expired so we have no restrictions as far as that goes. only restrictions ar eon ufa's whoe became free agents due to their contracts expiring. rfa's and ufa's who were released are also fair game.so for instance if the bears were to turn around and try to trade peppers right now....we wouldn't be able to trade for him. that's what that language means.

Join up bro-there's a lot of us already on it and we're getting all the NFL news in real time-let me know through PM if you need any help-it's worth the join, I joined last week and am really enjoying it-some good Jets talk and posters on it

Cool. I'll let you know. Never did it because I feel that I'll be cheating on JetNation....and Max would probably want to kick me in my Liver for that lol.

We just got rid of one jerk-off. I guess theres room to bring another in. I think we're ok with what we have and should look at other needs. Granted Marshall is a talent upgrade but what does that really mean in points on the board vs. other potential BS.

I'll take a chance on a headcase like Marshall who gives 100% when he's on the field as opposed to a guy like Rhodes who only gives 100% effort off it. You can't teach that first quality, and you'll never get rid of the second. There's a chance Marshall with a change of scenery and a different coach could clean up his act. Football is never going to be anything more then a hobby for Rhodes as gifted physically as he is he's never going to pull his head out of his ass and realize football is his job and all that other bull**** is a hobby, not the other way around.

Cool. I'll let you know. Never did it because I feel that I'll be cheating on JetNation....and Max would probably want to kick me in my Liver for that lol.

Max is on there, too, @JetNation. You won't hurt his feelings. In fact, he'll probably follow you as soon as you're on board.

We can't afford Marshall on any level. We don't have the trade assets, the long-term money, or the touches that would all need to be expended to make Brandon Marshall a productive receiver for the Jets in 2010.

We can't afford Marshall on any level. We don't have the trade assets, the long-term money, or the touches that would all need to be expended to make Brandon Marshall a productive receiver for the Jets in 2010.

If we can't afford him, then why does Tannenbaum keep trying to get him?

If we can't afford him, then why does Tannenbaum keep trying to get him?

We didn't make an offer when he was the Broncos' property. We haven't signed him to an offer sheet now that he's a restricted free agent. How you interpret this to mean that we keep trying to get him is beyond me and the rest of the English-speaking world. When you see words like 'having internal discussions' and 'seriously exploring the possibility' you should recognize them as clues that somebody is exploiting your credulity to drive advertising revenues.

Archived