Brett Ratliff To get Cut?

flgreen

Brett Ratliff to get cut?

By James Walker - Cleveland cannot stop discussing the Browns' quarterback situation.

But there is one name that never comes up in the conversation: Brett Ratliff.

Ratliff Remember him?

"Ratty" was brought to Cleveland last year in a trade with the New York Jets. Some felt Ratliff might eventually earn a starting role in Cleveland if Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson faltered.

Well, Quinn and Anderson are no longer with the Browns. Yet, Ratliff is lost in the mix and not in the conversation. The reason is Ratliff is a Eric Mangini favorite and a product of the head coach.

With new Browns president Mike Holmgren now running the show, he has no connection or personal investment in Ratliff. The third-year quarterback is just a third-stringer to Holmgren, currently sitting behind expected starter Jake Delhomme and No. 2 quarterback Seneca Wallace.

If (or when) the Browns draft a rookie quarterback next month, Ratliff will find himself competing for a roster spot with three others at the same position. Delhomme and Wallace are safe, and Ratliff's chances of beating out a Holmgren draft pick are extremely slim, especially if it's a well-regarded prospect such as Colt McCoy or Dan LeFevour, for example.

With Anderson and Quinn already moved, would anyone really be surprised if Holmgren completed the trifecta by adding three new quarterbacks to the roster in 2010?

I was thinking about Ratliff since all the QB stuff with Cleveland started going on. It's sad to think that last season was supposed to be a competition between him and Clemens which i'm sure he would have won, and now he's struggling for a roster spot.

If i'm a team like the Rams or Arizona or team that has uncertainty at the QB position i'd bring the kid in for a look.

I suppose he could be worse than all of our backups. But that would be saying something. KC doesn't even complete passes in pre-season.

I didn't mean to the Jets.

I would start my own franchise and build it around Ratliff.

He deserves it.

Well in Mangini's defense, the Browns already had what they thought were two starting QBs on their roster. I never thought Quinn was an NFL QB but plenty of other people did and he was obviously supposed to be their QB of the future. I don't think Mangini ever wanted Quinn either.

DA obviously showed he had a fluke season, but they had already invested money in him too. You can't have 3 guys all making big money at one position.

With this uncapped year, Holmgren got rid of the two biggest bums, and that's a good organizational move, but you can't use hindsight for that either. No way the Browns would have drafted Sanchez with that pick.

I do expect them to draft someone this year, but from what I hear there are no good QB prospects this year. It'll be like when the Jets took Pennington, that year Pennington was the "best" QB, and we all know how that turned out. That's why when you do get a chance at someone that can become a franchise QB you should always take that chance, there's no guarantee that if you have another bad year you get a chance at one.

Just imagine if the Jets had taken Peyton Manning all those years ago, rather than trading down or was it taking Keyshawn or something dumb like that. All Peyton wanted was an assurance to be drafted, can you believe a top prospect actually wanting to play for the worst team in the NFL like that? Yet that bastard Parcells couldn't even do that, I'm so glad how much further the Jets as a franchise have gotten since then. I'm sure if that was Mike Tannenbaum back then the Jets draft Manning, hell, the Jets trade up to get Manning if they have to.

Well in Mangini's defense, the Browns already had what they thought were two starting QBs on their roster. I never thought Quinn was an NFL QB but plenty of other people did and he was obviously supposed to be their QB of the future. I don't think Mangini ever wanted Quinn either.

DA obviously showed he had a fluke season, but they had already invested money in him too. You can't have 3 guys all making big money at one position.

With this uncapped year, Holmgren got rid of the two biggest bums, and that's a good organizational move, but you can't use hindsight for that either. No way the Browns would have drafted Sanchez with that pick.

I do expect them to draft someone this year, but from what I hear there are no good QB prospects this year. It'll be like when the Jets took Pennington, that year Pennington was the "best" QB, and we all know how that turned out. That's why when you do get a chance at someone that can become a franchise QB you should always take that chance, there's no guarantee that if you have another bad year you get a chance at one.

Just imagine if the Jets had taken Peyton Manning all those years ago, rather than trading down or was it taking Keyshawn or something dumb like that. All Peyton wanted was an assurance to be drafted, can you believe a top prospect actually wanting to play for the worst team in the NFL like that? Yet that bastard Parcells couldn't even do that, I'm so glad how much further the Jets as a franchise have gotten since then. I'm sure if that was Mike Tannenbaum back then the Jets draft Manning, hell, the Jets trade up to get Manning if they have to.

Maybe i'm wrong but i always thought Manning stayed in school because we had the first pick and Archie did'nt want Peyton playing for the Jets.:confused:

Maybe i'm wrong but i always thought Manning stayed in school because we had the first pick and Archie did'nt want Peyton playing for the Jets.:confused:

It was that he didn't want Peyton to play for the Saints, who might have traded up to get him. Archie and Parcells are friends and Tuna said he was trading down because the Jets needed more that just one player or something to that effect. At least that's what I remember hearing at the time.

If Parcells would guarantee he was taking Peyton, then he would have come out after his junior year and we would have had him the past dozen years.

Bill Parcells is a genius.

Top pick in the draft two years running and he ended up with Keyshaw, Alex Van Dyke, Farrior and Terry Day. We all talk about how the big bodies are how to win and that fat **** traded Orlando Pace for Walter Jones and Terry Day and then traded Jones for Farrior and Leon Johnson.

Brett Ratliff to get cut?

By James Walker - Cleveland cannot stop discussing the Browns' quarterback situation.

But there is one name that never comes up in the conversation: Brett Ratliff.

Ratliff Remember him?

"Ratty" was brought to Cleveland last year in a trade with the New York Jets. Some felt Ratliff might eventually earn a starting role in Cleveland if Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson faltered.

Well, Quinn and Anderson are no longer with the Browns. Yet, Ratliff is lost in the mix and not in the conversation. The reason is Ratliff is a Eric Mangini favorite and a product of the head coach.

With new Browns president Mike Holmgren now running the show, he has no connection or personal investment in Ratliff. The third-year quarterback is just a third-stringer to Holmgren, currently sitting behind expected starter Jake Delhomme and No. 2 quarterback Seneca Wallace.

If (or when) the Browns draft a rookie quarterback next month, Ratliff will find himself competing for a roster spot with three others at the same position. Delhomme and Wallace are safe, and Ratliff's chances of beating out a Holmgren draft pick are extremely slim, especially if it's a well-regarded prospect such as Colt McCoy or Dan LeFevour, for example.

With Anderson and Quinn already moved, would anyone really be surprised if Holmgren completed the trifecta by adding three new quarterbacks to the roster in 2010?

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

HA!

Bill Parcells is a genius.

Top pick in the draft two years running and he ended up with Keyshaw, Alex Van Dyke, Farrior and Terry Day. We all talk about how the big bodies are how to win and that fat **** traded Orlando Pace for Walter Jones and Terry Day and then traded Jones for Farrior and Leon Johnson.

What made Van Dyke so awful wasn't even that he was a bust. It happens. It was that we already had brought Graham in as a FA a year earlier and had Chrebet, who caught 60 passes as a rookie, on the team, and what do we do with the #1 pick in round 2 a couple of hours after we'd just drafted Keyshawn #1 in the country? Well we take a WR of course. I think it only adds a little to it that the following players were drafted after Mr. All Time Receiving YPG: Amani Toomer, Muhsin Muhammad, Bobby Engram, Terrell Owens, Joe Horn. :bag:

But I'm pretty sure Keyshawn & Van Dyke were when Parcells was in New England sulking over being force-fed Terry Glenn.

I was thinking about Ratliff since all the QB stuff with Cleveland started going on. It's sad to think that last season was supposed to be a competition between him and Clemens which i'm sure he would have won, and now he's struggling for a roster spot.

If i'm a team like the Rams or Arizona or team that has uncertainty at the QB position i'd bring the kid in for a look.

So would I . I thought he'd get a decent shot with the Browns. I'm always rooting for the underdog but it doesn't look good for Ratty now.

What I dont understand about Mangini is simple...

Ratliff has shown Promise (alot of promise) in the preseason yet the kid has never been given a shot to play when it counted. The Browns QB situation last year was a joke. Quinn sucked and Anderson sucked so why on earth not give Ratliff a shot ?

Would it have surprised anyone if Mangini gave the kid a chance to play a few games in a row ?

What Mangini has done here by not taking a good look at Ratliff is extremely stupid. I cant blame Holmgren for feeling the way he does and trying to bring in more QB's.

Im glad Mangini is gone

Ratliff has shown Promise (alot of promise) in the preseason yet the kid has never been given a shot to play when it counted. The Browns QB situation last year was a joke. Quinn sucked and Anderson sucked so why on earth not give Ratliff a shot ?

Would it have surprised anyone if Mangini gave the kid a chance to play a few games in a row ?

What Mangini has done here by not taking a good look at Ratliff is extremely stupid. I cant blame Holmgren for feeling the way he does and trying to bring in more QB's.

Im glad Mangini is gone

Here's a thought. Maybe Ratliff sucks.

Here's a thought. Maybe Ratliff sucks.

Key word there... Maybe

I guess Brady getting drafted in the 7th round implied he sucked as well. Not comparing the 2 QB's at all but if Brady was on any other team that had 2 QB's battling for jobs he very well could have been in the same position.

QB's are judged on game day. Look how many years Tony Romo sat in the Cowboys system and they kept bringing in 40 year old QB's now the guy throws 30 TD's a year.

As bad as the Browns QB situation was last year what was the harm in giving the Kid a shot ? He has all the tools, Big guy , strong arm , fearless in the pocket. Yes those things did show up in preseason.

Key word there... Maybe

I guess Brady getting drafted in the 7th round implied he sucked as well. Not comparing the 2 QB's at all but if Brady was on any other team that had 2 QB's battling for jobs he very well could have been in the same position.

QB's are judged on game day. Look how many years Tony Romo sat in the Cowboys system and they kept bringing in 40 year old QB's now the guy throws 30 TD's a year.

As bad as the Browns QB situation was last year what was the harm in giving the Kid a shot ? He has all the tools, Big guy , strong arm , fearless in the pocket. Yes those things did show up in preseason.

Thats my point. You mentioned 2 guys that were given a shot so clearly it wasnt preceived that they sucked. Someone believed in them.

Ratliff on the other hand, was in perfect position to give it a go and his biggest blow hard didnt even give him that shot.

Therefore, my guess is that your boy Ratty, sucks.

But I could careless either way.

Im glad Mangini is gone

You don't think Mangini sees Ratliff in training camp and in practice?

Putting aside jokes about Ratliff being a future Hall of Famer, he really hasn't shown the ability to make the necessary NFL throws. We know he can throw a nice deep ball to a WR who's got 2-3 steps, but what we've never seen from him is having to throw through windows or having to look off coverage...

I just don't believe that great talent, doesn't find it's way to the big stage. Mangini may not be a great coach, but the guy still knows football, better than most. And, if not Mangini, what about their offensive co-ordinator? What about their Quarterback's coach? Or do we dismiss them all as completely incompetent in service of a QB who doesn't have a single throw on record?

Archived