Santonio Holmes traded to the JETS: MERGED

Huh? I've said pretty much the same thing everyone else has in this thread with the exception of him being suspended. A 5th, regardless of suspension, is a really low pick. Not Randy Moss for a 4th low, but low.

It's clear Pitt wanted to rid him. After the draft, one would assume they'd have a hard time even getting a 5th for him. You also have to believe Pitt had other offers. They'd be stupid to take the first deal, which means the Jets probably gave them the best offer.

Peter King is reporting talks started Sunday unless I completely misinterpreted that. If that's the case I doubt the Steelers shopped around the league to find a better deal, which he points out. Probably just wanted it done.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I find it hard to believe they couldn't have gotten a third for him from someone even more desperate for a receiver like the Jaguars or Dolphins.

I wouldn't have given a 3rd for Holmes. That's too high for a troubled receiver facing suspension IMO. Now, if you want to ask why the Dolphins weren't offering a 5th as well, that's a valid question. Because I would've been all over that.

I wouldn't have given a 3rd for Holmes. That's too high for a troubled receiver facing suspension IMO. Now, if you want to ask why the Dolphins weren't offering a 5th as well, that's a valid question. Because I would've been all over that.

Dolphins probably weren't offering a 5th because they don't have one. They traded it for Tyler Thigpen.

Dolphins probably weren't offering a 5th because they don't have one. They traded it for Tyler Thigpen.

LOL

Hardcore is usually pretty level headed, but that exactly what I was thinking. You traded a 5th for Thigpen and are good with it, but you wouldnt trade a 3rd for Holmes?

O.K. :roll:

BTW - they all smoke weed. All of them.

Comparatively have much less of a problem rooing for Taylor than this guy. But root I will.

Holmes is a bad guy. May be he grows up a bunch, but I doubt it.

Big picture-this team is getting primed to make a run this season.

Comparatively have much less of a problem rooing for Taylor than this guy. But root I will.

Holmes is a bad guy. May be he grows up a bunch, but I doubt it.

Big picture-this team is getting primed to make a run this season.

Why is he bad? Because he smokes weed?

Why is he bad? Because he smokes weed?

If your job tests you and you smoke weed anyway, you are a silly goose. He cost himself 4 game checks. If smoking dope matters to you more than 4 game checks(and you know they don't test anyone in the offseason, so smoke all you want then, dummy) you are a moron.He is a talented receiver, but he has a box of rocks for a brain. Not as bad as Dontae "I only had 4 drinks"Stallworth , but still pretty dumb.

If your job tests you and you smoke weed anyway, you are a silly goose. He cost himself 4 game checks. If smoking dope matters to you more than 4 game checks(and you know they don't test anyone in the offseason, so smoke all you want then, dummy) you are a moron.He is a talented receiver, but he has a box of rocks for a brain. Not as bad as Dontae "I only had 4 drinks"Stallworth , but still pretty dumb.

How many NFL players exactly qualify for Mensa?

So this makes him a "bad guy" as you say.

With that logic, is Shaun Ellis a "bad guy".

It doesn't take a genius to undertand this choice-do this one thing, lose 25% of your salary. Don't do this thing, get all 100% of your salary.

It's amazing how many people are so appalled by the fact that other people just don't think the way they do.

When you come from nothing, make millions, and never have to face consequences in your life, it's a shock that they don't have the same moral code and rational decision making that you claim to possess?

So this makes him a "bad guy" as you say.

With that logic, is Shaun Ellis a "bad guy".

Missing 4 games for stupidity is a bad thing.

How could it be a good thing?Ellis himself probably would tell you it was a dumb thing to do.

I have no idea what happened in the nightclub nonsense and suspect this young lady is looking for someone to write her a really big check to go away. Does objectively seem Holmes has a habit like Plaxico Burress of having stupid things happen when he is around. Wouldn't mind a repeat of the Burress scenario(Pitt to NY and SUper Bowl victory) minus gunplay.

Steelers "called everyone" regarding Santonio trade

Posted by Mike Florio on April 12, 2010 10:25 AM ET

The biggest question in the wake of the abrupt decision by the Steelers to trade receiver Santonio Holmes is whether the Jets were the only team in the mix.

They weren't.

Per a league source, the Steelers "called everyone" regarding the possibility of trading for Holmes. (The source then acknowledged that the Ravens likely weren't called, and possibly not the Browns or the Bengals. The Eagles don't see a potential problem with calling any of those three teams.)

The process began, we're told, on Friday and accelerated over the weekend. And no one else was seriously interested.

Still, as pointed out in a coming edition of PFT Daily, the Steelers should have shipped him to the NFC, even if it meant only taking a sixth-round pick or a seventh-round pick.

Link

The biggest question in the wake of the abrupt decision by the Steelers to trade receiver Santonio Holmes is whether the Jets were the only team in the mix.

They weren't.

Per a league source, the Steelers "called everyone" regarding the possibility of trading for Holmes. (The source then acknowledged that the Ravens likely weren't called, and possibly not the Browns or the Bengals. The Eagles don't see a potential problem with calling any of those three teams.)

The process began, we're told, on Friday and accelerated over the weekend. And no one else was seriously interested.

Still, as pointed out in a coming edition of PFT Daily, the Steelers should have shipped him to the NFC, even if it meant only taking a sixth-round pick or a seventh-round pick.

Link

I call BS Florio.

They weren't.

Link

Wow. They whored out a # 1 receiver and the best they could get was a #165-ish overall pick? I seriously doubt it.

I thought that case got dropped by his chick because it wasnt intentionally thrown at her?

Not to mention that one of the witnesses copped to being the guy who threw the glass.

It wasn't intentionally thrown by somebody else? Sounds like a load of **** to me.

My understanding is that the police investigation was finished and the woman has decided to press charges, so it is still open as of April 9.

FWIW, I think the Steelers may have been bothered more by his crazy twittering. Telling fanst to go kill themselves, etc.

This trade obviously opens up the possibility of a lot of 3 WR sets. It'll be interesting to see how this changes the way the Jets run the football. Last year with TJ he wasn't exactly a burner or tremendous at breaking tackles so you had to block as well as possible, thus the jumbo packages with 6 linemen. Shonn Greene on the other hand, will run you the **** over, especially if you're a defensive back. So preventing 8 men in the box, along with bringing a 5th defensive back onto the field, should be great for #23 and create a lot of fun moments of defensive back humiliation next season. Actually a could be a pretty intelligent shift in philosophy. Plus even though he can't catch the ball, if you've got Cotchery, Edwards, and Holmes on the field plus maybe Keller, you've got to be just about as open to a run play as a pass play.

Archived