Santonio Holmes traded to the JETS: MERGED

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with everyone else on this. As soon as I saw the thread title I looked at the poster name thinking it was a bot or a noob trying to have a little fun with us. This is absolutely the most unbelievable deal I've ever seen a Jets FO pull off. The guy is a legit emerging #1 WR and we got him for a 5th? That's just sick. Sick I tell ya.:cheers:

Anyone know how many years Holmes has left on his current deal? I'm curious if this is preparing for the possibility of being unable to retain Edwards, or if it could possibly become a one or the other situation, or the Jets really have intentions of going forward with Cotchery / Edwards / Holmes long term. And the question in that case becomes how long can you keep all three of those guys happy with the obviously reduced number of targets they would each be receiving?

+1....this is a win now team, win now move. Edwards maybe gone after this year but let's see if Santonio behaves himself in NYC

Anyone know how many years Holmes has left on his current deal? I'm curious if this is preparing for the possibility of being unable to retain Edwards, or if it could possibly become a one or the other situation, or the Jets really have intentions of going forward with Cotchery / Edwards / Holmes long term. And the question in that case becomes how long can you keep all three of those guys happy with the obviously reduced number of targets they would each be receiving?

This is the last year of his deal. Not to be Captain Bringdown or anything, but we now have two WRs who will be looking to get paid in 2011. Meanwhile we need to extend Brick, Mangold, and Revis.

2010 is the end of his 5 yr deal.

Unless 2011 has the same rules as 2010 (needing 6 yrs for UFA), Holmes will be an UFA after this season.

Holmes is our slot receiver. I want this trio forever!!

This is the last year of his deal. Not to be Captain Bringdown or anything, but we now have two WRs who will be looking to get paid in 2011. Meanwhile we need to extend Brick, Mangold, and Revis.

2010: Win a Super Bowl

2011: Let Braylon walk...sign Holmes.

Just hope it stays uncapped ;)

The JETS are going for it all in 2010 and making the most out of no cap... you gotta love it... who cares about 2011? How many times have you seen an entire group of players come and go and never get it done? Gotta win NOW.

That sucks. It really does.

If you ever doubt Mike Tannenbaum like this anymore, I will take your take your mother, Dorothy Mantooth, out for a nice seafood dinner and never call her again.

To answer my own question, Holmes is also in the last year of his deal. Sounds like he and Edwards will likely be battling it out for who gets the contract extension after this year. If that's the case, Jets could still go WR later in order to develop a replacement as the #3 starting next year.

Pretty sure his contract expires after this year and he won't come cheap...said at some point that he's pretty sure that the Steelers won't pay him market value. Regardless, pretty sweet trade. You get him for at least 12 games and you get to see if he works better or if Edwards does. Plus you have to know Ryan is going to have some comments about having to game plan for playing him just like he did for Edwards, and he's an emerging talent.

They're certainly setting up Sanchez to succeed, that's for sure. Picking up proven NFL talent, on the cheap, as opposed to using draft picks to get a WR. Tremendous move. The passing offense was going to get better anyway after Sanchez had a year under his belt, now with Holmes this offense is going to be scary with weapons all over the place and the killer running game. Plus we can concentrate on the lines in the draft!

+1....this is a win now team, win now move. Edwards maybe gone after this year but let's see if Santonio behaves himself in NYC

I disagree on Edwards being gone after this year.

Edwards and Holmes are both on a 1 year audition, but Holmes has 2 strikes against him:

1) He makes Ricky Williams look like a casual marijuana user, and

2) He's 1 more screw up from an 8 game suspension

To answer my own question, Holmes is also in the last year of his deal. Sounds like he and Edwards will likely be battling it out for who gets the contract extension after this year. If that's the case, Jets could still go WR later in order to develop a replacement as the #3 starting next year.

Although it seems like a few of you beat me to the punch. Oops. :P

Santonio Holmes....Overrated???

KC Joyner, the Football Scientist:

Not in my estimation. He's posted dominant numbers in vertical YPA and short pass YPA during his career. He may lack something in consistency but in explosiveness he is absolutely as good as advertised.

Edwards and Holmes are both on a 1 year audition, but Holmes has 2 strikes against him:

My mistake, I thought Holmes had more than 1 year left on his deal. We'll see who plays better but this is such a win now move...putting all the chips in that the Jets should be favorites to win the AFCE at least.

Agreed. I think Edwards is the more likely to stay of the two, with the two exceptions to that possibility being if Holmes greatly outplays Edwards this year or if Holmes is willing to sign for significantly less than Edwards is willing to. I can certainly see them making the effort to keep both or if they can lock up Mangold, Harris and one of these two before their contracts are all up, they could franchise the other.

This is what I figured. FO's not sold on Braylon so they hold a season-long competition. Not a bad idea, since suspension or no suspension a 5 for Holmes is terrific value.

And Dorothy Mantooth is a saint, RJF. You hear me? A saint.

Santonio Holmes....Overrated???

KC Joyner, the Football Scientist:

Not in my estimation. He's posted dominant numbers in vertical YPA and short pass YPA during his career. He may lack something in consistency but in explosiveness he is absolutely as good as advertised.

Holmes' talent isn't even a question. From a value standpoint in terms of production and potential a 5th rounder is an absolute steal. Dude was 10th in DYAR and 21st in DVOA, his PFF ranking is very good, and not to mention the cojnones to make big time catches in big time games. The risk here comes in the fact that Holmes is a moron, but we've got leaders on this team who've been through their own tribulations and a coach who's nothing short of beloved. Meaning aside from the suspension, there's reasons to be optimistic about cleaning up on the off-field issues. From a football standpoint there's so much to love about this from a Jet angle. And don't forget that the odds of landing a receiver this good at the end of the 5th round are astronomically high.

Great trade, just a great trade. After the Jenkins and Sanchez deals this really might be his best work.

This is what I figured. FO's not sold on Braylon so they hold a season-long competition. Not a bad idea, since suspension or no suspension a 5 for Holmes is terrific value.

And Dorothy Mantooth is a saint, RJF. You hear me? A saint.

Also, if one of them leaves as a UFA, we'd recoup most of the value of the pick(s) dealt for Edwards/Holmes via compensatory picks.

This is absolutely awesome. Wonder how many 3 WR sets get run now and who stays on the field in 2 WR sets. Can make a case for each of Cotchery, Edwards, and Holmes to be a starter really. Probably rotate them all to keep guys fresh.

Also means Tony Richardson will probably get phased out a bit and Keller will get plenty of breaks as well since one of them will need to be off the field in those sets. Wonder what this means for jumbo sets and ground and pound style too. Regardless, a proven toy for Sanchez! Very exciting.

Archived