Santonio Holmes traded to the JETS: MERGED

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Holmes took the fall for Big Ben being a serial rapist.

It's funny 'cause it's true!

Also, if one of them leaves as a UFA, we'd recoup most of the value of the pick(s) dealt for Edwards/Holmes via compensatory picks.

This is a huge point. The Jets are going to be so busy signing their own UFA's next year that they won't really have the option to be involved in signing other teams' UFA's. They can just behave as if they're under the same restriction as they were this year. They'll get picks for every guy they lose, and the quality of the Jets UFA class should bring back 3rd rounders at least.

So they trade the last pick in the 5th round for Holmes, use him for most of 2010, let him go for the last pick in the 3rd next year?

Absolute no-brainer.

This trade makes sense of many levels.

Plus, it also makes sense to make this deal with the impending work stoppage in 2011. There probably won't be any football that year and the Jets could be looking at Faneca, Ellis, and Woody playing their last year with the team (considering how old they'd be when football returned in 2012--assuming the world doesn't end).

Haha! It would really suck if there was no football in 2011 and the world came to an end on 12/21/2012!

I'm betting against both scenarios, though.

They're pissed on the Steelers board.

"I thought it was Santo smoking weed, turns out it was the front office.":rl:

That's an awesome quote!

I'm glad the Jets have gotten away from the choirboy philosophy, but I'll be happy if character is a component in the upcoming draft class, too. We're getting to be the Raiders over here. The old Raiders, the ones who used to just win, baby.

Warning shot ? Like Ben cant play for another team if the Steelers dont want him ? Do you think Big Ben really gives a **** ?

I would.

Steelers are a great organization, they've proven this by constantly being in the championship picture.

Big Ben could easily be traded to the Raiders, the Jags, or the Browns tomorrow. I don't think he'd be thrilled with any of those outcomes.

I would.

Steelers are a great organization, they've proven this by constantly being in the championship picture.

Big Ben could easily be traded to the Raiders, the Jags, or the Browns tomorrow. I don't think he'd be thrilled with any of those outcomes.

Funny the Raiders poped into my head as well ...they always do.

I would.

Aren't they are also known for being a little cheap? He might be better off going to a "worse" organization that pays. I'd be happy to get the Albert Haynesworth $42M treatment from the 'skins and they are a bunch of ****heads.

Steelers are a great organization, they've proven this by assembling an offensive line that exactly one quarterback alive is capable of playing behind.

Fixed. Warning shot oook. Steelers need Ben a whole lot more than he needs them.

Fixed. Warning shot oook. Steelers need Ben a whole lot more than he needs them.

+1

Trading Holmes for chump change was the Rooneys throwing a temper tandrum that they can't do anything to Big Ben because he's their whole offense, especially since they don't care about the run anymore.

Franchise WR smokes weed ... trade him for a 5th.

Franchise QB rapes women ... do nothing.

Jeez, just open up ESPN.com in school and see this? Really am absolutely stunned, this sort of stuff just shouldn’t happen, how the Hell does Tanny pull something like this off? Edwards, Cotch and now Santonio ****ing Holmes? We’re looking more and more complete every day. It’s actually pretty scary to look at this team as a Jet fan, way too much reason to be optimistic.

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO this is ****ing awesome! I got ****ed up last night and knew nothing and I wake up this morning to this awesome news.

Tanny is a ****ing genius!

Meh, Santonio is a semi douche tough, isnt he always ****ed up on marijuana!

If this keeps up Jets can sign Plaxico when he gets released and can go with a 4 reciever run and shoot offense.

If you sign Plax the offense would have to be renamed to "shoot and run".

Minor point. :-P

A collection of tweets courtesy of ESPN.com:

[+] Enlargenfl_u_sholts2_200.jpg Matt Cashore/US PresswirePittsburgh's trade of former Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes to the Jets has the league talking.

Donte Whitner, Buffalo Bills safety:

"Santonio Holmes
traded to the JETS. Wow.
"

Darius Butler, New England Patriots cornerback:

"Wowwww a 5th round pick! I know this
supposef to be a deep draft but damn Pitt
."

"Im not concerned abt him bein n the division. Every team we play has gd players its the NFL. Im
just shocked at what he went for
."

Marcellus Wiley, ESPN analyst:

"The Jets are
starting to look like an All-Madden Team
....especially if they get Jason Taylor and T.O.!!!"

Darrelle Revis, Jets cornerback:

"Wow we got holmes this is crazy.
We makin big moves this off-season
. Putting the pieces together to get closer to that superbowl ring."

Chad Ochocinco, Cincinnati Bengals receiver:

"Mr. Goodell the NY
Jets are unfairly loading their team up
with great players like the Yankees do, we need to stop this now!"

Bob Glauber, Newsday columnist:

"If Santonio Holmes puts it together with the Jets, the trade will go down as
one of the biggest steals ever
. 5th rounder? Sheesh."

David Clowney, Jets receiver:

"
Lord what am I doing wrong
"

"
I know this is a test
,.. But God never puts you thru anything you can't handle. I trust you Lord"

Well, looks like he'll be suspended for the first 4 games next season, but still. That's a low asking price for Pittsburgh. Almost makes you think they may have cut him had a team waited until after the draft.

He will make up those games come playoff time --

Well, looks like he'll be suspended for the first 4 games next season, but still. That's a low asking price for Pittsburgh. Almost makes you think they may have cut him had a team waited until after the draft.

Duh. But that's the point, the draft pick buys the luxury for the team in waiting not having to deal with competition and the agent in acquiring the player. That in this case said draft pick was a 5th rounder makes it that much better.

Weak and blatant attempt at trolling. :rolleyes:

Huh? I've said pretty much the same thing everyone else has in this thread with the exception of him being suspended. A 5th, regardless of suspension, is a really low pick. Not Randy Moss for a 4th low, but low.

It's clear Pitt wanted to rid him. After the draft, one would assume they'd have a hard time even getting a 5th for him. You also have to believe Pitt had other offers. They'd be stupid to take the first deal, which means the Jets probably gave them the best offer.

Duh. But that's the point, the draft pick buys the luxury for the team in waiting not having to deal with competition and the agent in acquiring the player. That in this case said draft pick was a 5th rounder makes it that much better.

Of course, HK doesn't realize that cutting Holmes does nothing for the Steelers. Why would they cut him if they can get a 5th rounder?

This was a no-brainer for the Jets.

Also, LOFL at the Fin fans. You've re-signed Jason Ferguson who's facing an EIGHT GAME BAN so don't be talking about the Jets and Holmes missing 4 games.

I understand why they did it. Was speaking to how badly Pitt wanted this guy out of town.

Huh? I've said pretty much the same thing everyone else has in this thread with the exception of him being suspended. A 5th, regardless of suspension, is a really low pick. Not Randy Moss for a 4th low, but low.

It's clear Pitt wanted to rid him. After the draft, one would assume they'd have a hard time even getting a 5th for him. You also have to believe Pitt had other offers. They'd be stupid to take the first deal, which means the Jets probably gave them the best offer.

I find it hard to believe they couldn't have gotten a third for him from someone even more desperate for a receiver like the Jaguars or Dolphins.

Archived