Politi: Fury over new parking regulations illuminates growing rift between Jets, fans

Jetfan13

By Steve Politi/Star-Ledger Columnist

May 16, 2010, 9:00AM

jets-tailgating-giants-stadium-707005e8d756e3d3_large.jpg

Scott Lituchy/The Star-Ledger

Jets fans have always made tailgating an art form. In this photo from 2005, Paul Angelini of Branford, Conn., left, cooks peppers and mushrooms while Rick Dutra of Mahopac, N.Y., tends to the bread wrapped in foil and Rick Holmes of Saugerties, N.Y., grills shrimp in the Giants Stadium parking lot before a game against the Dolphins.

It

I don't see the big deal. It's always been about money and it was never about the fans really to begin with. There are plenty of businesses that follow this model of rewarding customers that pay more money and buy the "premium" package or version with perks.

And also as noted, these guys can park in the outer areas with their friends if they want. Sounds like a bunch of entitled whining to me. The system makes sense in terms of traffic and to ease parking for fans to me.

I don't see the big deal. It's always been about money and it was never about the fans really to begin with. There are plenty of businesses that follow this model of rewarding customers that pay more money and buy the "premium" package or version with perks.

And also as noted, these guys can park in the outer areas with their friends if they want. Sounds like a bunch of entitled whining to me. The system makes sense in terms of traffic and to ease parking for fans to me.

You sound like someone who's never tailgated before.

it will be a nightmare before the games.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.

I hate to say it, but I agree with the jets on this one. If you're paying more for tix/psl's, then you deserve the best parking spot.

And it isnt too bad if you park on the arena side. Shouldnt be that long of a walk for people. If you're stuck out in lot P, then that sucks. But get there early enough and park in lot b.

Look at the flipside... if you paid a ton of money for PSL's woudlnt you expect better parking?

These idiots would be the same ones complaining when they showed up late and had to park in pennsylvania that they should have the right to better parking.

I see why the Jets did what they did, you spend more so you get a little better parking. I will miss all those people I got to know from parking at 16G over the years, tailgating will not be the same going forward. The only other problem I have is that the majority of people who paid for the club seats will not be tailgating 4-5 hours before the game, if at all, so the choice parking grounds next to the stadium should be pretty empty up until a little before kickoff. That's a waste of good tailgating space!

I'm a non psl holder so I will park wherever they allow me to grill sausage. Lot B looks nice but I suspect every non-psl person will try to get in there so unless you're there every gameday at exactly 5 hours before hand you won't be regularly positioned in Lot B. Basically, I need to establish some new long term tailgating roots.

I see why the Jets did what they did, you spend more so you get a little better parking. I will miss all those people I got to know from parking at 16G over the years, tailgating will not be the same going forward. The only other problem I have is that the majority of people who paid for the club seats will not be tailgating 4-5 hours before the game, if at all, so the choice parking grounds next to the stadium should be pretty empty up until a little before kickoff. That's a waste of good tailgating space! I'm a non psl holder so I will park wherever they allow me to grill sausage. Lot B looks nice but I suspect every non-psl person will try to get in there.

You mean they might actually be in their seats before the second quarter?

What fools. Paying $15,000 for a seat and actually watching the game.

You mean they might actually be in their seats before the second quarter?

What fools. Paying $15,000 for a seat and actually watching the game.

They paid so they can do whatever they want, show up early, show up late, not show up at all. I just don't think that the prime club people are going to make much use of those lots on gameday and will take away from the environment (which now shifts to the outer 'boroughs').

Less congestion near the stadium because of less people tailgating? No issues here either.

What people need to remember is that this is mainly affecting PSL and non-PSL people. The Giants did it differently because there are no non-PSL people for them. They can say "we aren't separating people" because technically they are all the same, they are all paying a PSL. But if someone pays $15k for a PSL, why shouldn't they get better parking than someone who didn't pay any PSL? I have no issue with what they're doing as far as the parking is concerned. You pay that much $$$ for the seats, you should get better perks.

The concept of people who paid more for their seats get better parking than those who paid less makes perfect sense.

However the Jets ought allow an option for downgrading your parking spot.

First offer to all PSL'ers and club seat owners the right to downgrade their parking so they can tailgate with their non-PSL friends. Then with the freed up parking spaces offer them to the non-PSL-ers who want to upgrade.

Heck, the Jets could even make money off of this if they don't offer a discount for downgrading but charge a premium for the upgrades.

On paper it makes sense, but on gameday it won't.

Does anyone realize just how much this will suck? Easy for anyone that has no interest in season tickets to say it makes sense to give people that pay more money better parking. Did you read the article? The guy has the good parking, but can't tailgate with the people he's been with for decades because there PSL doesn't allow them to park in the same lot.

This is a mess.

Does anyone realize just how much this will suck? Easy for anyone that has no interest in season tickets to say it makes sense to give people that pay more money better parking. Did you read the article? The guy has the good parking, but can't tailgate with the people he's been with for decades because there PSL doesn't allow them to park in the same lot.

This is a mess.

He can either park where they park, or they can load everything up with him and tailgate where he parks after they walk to him. Again, I don't see the issue. Inconvenient yes, but not a major problem IMO. His friends didn't pay for the PSL's so they can't park where he can park. Why should they be able to bump someone who did pay thousands of dollars for a PSL? Just because their friend paid for it? I don't think so.

He can either park where they park, or they can load everything up with him and tailgate where he parks after they walk to him. Again, I don't see the issue. Inconvenient yes, but not a major problem IMO. His friends didn't pay for the PSL's so they can't park where he can park. Why should they be able to bump someone who did pay thousands of dollars for a PSL? Just because their friend paid for it? I don't think so.

Can you park Non PSL if you have PSL parking, I don't know. But with some of the stuff I've seen from the Meadowlands Staff I doubt it.

Have you ever had season tickets? Tailgated with the same group on more than 1 occasion? You really wanna walk your grill/cooler/whatever else you bring through a parking lot full of people probably over a half of mile - and then back before gametime? Serious?

What you don't see as an issue, is probably the single biggest issue keeping me from getting season tickets.

I still don't get why paying all this money to Woody is any better than building a super-awesome-amazing-incredible home AV system with a huge screen and inviting all your friends over to watch.

People don't go to football games to watch football. They go do enjoy the all day festivities.

it will be a nightmare before the games.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.

I hate to say it, but I agree with the jets on this one. If you're paying more for tix/psl's, then you deserve the best parking spot.

And it isnt too bad if you park on the arena side. Shouldnt be that long of a walk for people. If you're stuck out in lot P, then that sucks. But get there early enough and park in lot b.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Can you park Non PSL if you have PSL parking, I don't know. But with some of the stuff I've seen from the Meadowlands Staff I doubt it.

Have you ever had season tickets? Tailgated with the same group on more than 1 occasion? You really wanna walk your grill/cooler/whatever else you bring through a parking lot full of people probably over a half of mile - and then back before gametime? Serious?

What you don't see as an issue, is probably the single biggest issue keeping me from getting season tickets.

It says right in the article that someone with a PSL will not be prevented from parking in the non-PSL area if they want. And what I meant was having one person bring all of the stuff in one vehicle. They could easily walk over to them if that's what they want.

That and the fact that the Jets don't support your cross dressing ways...

I still don't get why paying all this money to Woody is any better than building a super-awesome-amazing-incredible home AV system with a huge screen and inviting all your friends over to watch.

At some point everyone is going to make that decision.

I love going.

But getting there early can be a hassle, and the debacle afterward always sucks.It remains a mystery to the NJSEA, the Turnpike Authority and the MTA Bridges and Tunnels that 80K will be leaving the Meadowlands when the game ends. And it's been that way forever. Add in rain, heat and cold, and at some point you couch is a better option.

Sadly that our owner views us all exactly the way a 3 card monte dealer view his marks is not new. Cannot wait when they try to stop tailgating. And when Xanadu(world's biggest bankrupt indoor ski slope ever!) opens that's what they're gonna try to do.

This is a mess.

Its a simple fix.

The lousy parking PSL people need to ride in with the good parking PSL guy. Problem solved. Selling the lousy parking pass shouldnt be problem. I wouldnt care if I parked in lot P as long as I could tailgate and the Pats won. :lol:

Parking at Invesco, Edward Jones Dome and the Georgia Dome is fragmented too.

It says right in the article that someone with a PSL will not be prevented from parking in the non-PSL area if they want. And what I meant was having one person bring all of the stuff in one vehicle. They could easily walk over to them if that's what they want.

Oh its as simple as that. I'll just drop off my grill and cooler in NJ with my buddy the night before and meet them at the game the next day...

It makes sense to those that have never been to a football game.

Oh its as simple as that. I'll just drop off my grill and cooler in NJ with my buddy the night before and meet them at the game the next day...

I've been to plenty of games. I'm so sorry if I don't want to start crying over the Jets giving perks to people shelling out thousands of dollars more than someone who isn't paying for a PSL. If you really want to tailgate with your friend that bad then you find a way to make it work. If that means tailgating in a non-PSL zone then that's what you do.

Personally if I was shelling out $15k for PSL's and I was parked next to someone who didn't pay a dime over just the tickets I would be pretty pissed. You pay more, you get more perks. That's just the way it is and I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I've been to plenty of games. I'm so sorry if I don't want to start crying over the Jets giving perks to people shelling out thousands of dollars more than someone who isn't paying for a PSL. If you really want to tailgate with your friend that bad then you find a way to make it work. If that means tailgating in a non-PSL zone then that's what you do.

Personally if I was shelling out $15k for PSL's and I was parked next to someone who didn't pay a dime over just the tickets I would be pretty pissed. You pay more, you get more perks. That's just the way it is and I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I dont see it that way. If I shelled out the 15K I would be pretty pissed that the only perk I got was lost when I parked in the Non PSL section to hang out with my buddies. Kinda like the guy who the article is about.

No, it makes sense that the PSL owners would get the better parking. :rolleyes:

Archived