Gholston

TNJet

Where's the link kid?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2009/02/22/2009-02-22_jets_2008_firstround_pick_vernon_gholsto.html

This doesn't have Rex's exact quote on the subject, sorry don't have all day to un-archive it and I'm pretty sure it came from one of his press conferences so it won't be in print. Why the f@ck would anyone bother lying about this?

I guess the NFC scout in the article who had Gholston as a 3rd rounder is lying. :yawn:

Can we get off this "who would you have taken at 6" topic? The point is not that the front office got it right or wrong, the point is that Gholston sucks.

The fact that he's making a whole mess of money to suck certainly fans the flames, but whether he was drafted 6th overall, in the 3rd round, or was a UDFA, it wouldn't change his value to the team all that much. He was put in a position to be an impact player under arguably the best defensive mind in the game, and didn't do a damn thing.

And now we're supposed to believe he'll turn his career around because he MIGHT do well at the least important and least complex position on the defense? Give me a damn break.

I would say Gholstons best attribute is his strength...so if anything is ever going to work with him, this would be it. He didnt have the athleticism to play on the outside.

Not true.

His problem playing OLB in the 3-4 is that you have to be very football smart to handle that job... Gholston, when he is on the field is often "one step" from the end of the play. That "one step" is the difference between a player whose first reaction is instinct, and a player whose first reaction is analysis because he is overwhelmed by the roles and responsibilities he is being asked to perform.

Gholston is the latter.

His achilles heal if you will is between his ears.

It takes a crafty, football smart player to learn 3-4 OLB. Which is why Belli tends to use veterans at those positions...

The Jets were in a near impossible position with the sixth pick in the 2008 draft. Short of trading down, and they had no takers for the pick, what else would have logically had them do.

Where did you get it from that the Jets had no takers. So the Pats could trade down from #7 to #10 but the Jets - with the last alleged blue-chip player still there - couldn't find anyone to trade down with?

That isn't even remotely believable. If there was some sort of consensus that Gholston was a blue-chip talent, it is not believable that NO ONE wanted to move up to get him.

The Jets, like many others in and out of the NFL, were enamored with Gholston. Throw in rumors of the Patriots wanting him and Mangini - already obsessed with his former employer - bumping Bryan Thomas to the top of his sh*t list, and there you have it.

Gholston is gonna be a BEAST IN 2010-11.

Lets wait on that, shall we? Obviously, the Jets thought he was going to tear it up at OLB when they drafted him with their first selection. Since that didn't happen (didn't even come close) let's wait on the accolades until VG actually proves something on the field.

And now we're supposed to believe he'll turn his career around because he MIGHT do well at the least important and least complex position on the defense? Give me a damn break.

rex seems to believe. DL is not the least important, that's just haterade.

the normal progression for most NFL defensive linemen to adjust to the league is years not weeks.

and dont tell me about Julius Peppers. Yes some guys are instant good. Most take time.

the truth is people were saying the same crap about Bryan Thomas and Calvin Pace... when they were in year 3 of their careers.

Not true.

His problem playing OLB in the 3-4 is that you have to be very football smart to handle that job... Gholston, when he is on the field is often "one step" from the end of the play. That "one step" is the difference between a player whose first reaction is instinct, and a player whose first reaction is analysis because he is overwhelmed by the roles and responsibilities he is being asked to perform.

Gholston is the latter.

His achilles heal if you will is between his ears.

It takes a crafty, football smart player to learn 3-4 OLB. Which is why Belli tends to use veterans at those positions...

Sure, that too. But Gholston was also limited athleticially. He had terrible lateral agility.

"He's very strong," said left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who blocks Gholston in practice. "That's something you feel in the trenches, and now you're seeing him down after down. I think he'll be a good fit at end."

from espn.com

rex seems to believe. DL is not the least important, that's just haterade.

the normal progression for most NFL defensive linemen to adjust to the league is years not weeks.

and dont tell me about Julius Peppers. Yes some guys are instant good. Most take time.

the truth is people were saying the same crap about Bryan Thomas and Calvin Pace... when they were in year 3 of their careers.

You realize we're talking about 3-4 DE, not 4-3 DE, don't you? The same position where your only role is to "be strong and take up multiple blockers"? Sounds to me like just about any toolbag who can bench 250 can do it.

from espn.com

Exactly, D'Brick says he's "very strong". See my above point. If this is all we're asking of him, then I stand by my point that 3-4 DE is the least important and complex position of the D. Rex obviously agrees, or he wouldn't be putting Gholston there rather than having him ride the pine like last year.

from espn.com

For what we drafted him to be, this is obviously dissapointing...but if taking up space and occupying blockers turns out to be his calling....he'll go from catastrophic bust to mild dissapointment and basically a Bryan Thomas esque career.

For what we drafted him to be, this is obviously disappointing...but if taking up space and occupying blockers turns out to be his calling....he'll go from catastrophic bust to mild disappointment and basically a Bryan Thomas esque career.

Bryan Thomas has had a great NFL career and is actually one of the better players on the defense... I'd be ok with that. 6 overall is high but it's not #1 overall. They all can't be Darrelle Revis type 'best player in the league' type of picks. each draft is different... if Gholston turns into BT it will be a good result.

Bryan Thomas has had a great NFL career and is actually one of the better players on the defense... I'd be ok with that. 6 overall is high but it's not #1 overall. They all can't be Darrelle Revis type 'best player in the league' type of picks. each draft is different... if Gholston turns into BT it will be a good result.

Bryan Thomas has had a great career? You are serious?

Thomas was drafted to be teamed up with Abraham to sack the QB. He has been a dissapointment as a pass rusher. He's a reason the Jets have struggled since Abe has left getting to the QB.

Considering we could have had Ed Reed instead of Thomas, I'd say his career has been disappointing too, Matt. He's a good run stopper but is very replacable. Its why the media reported he was one of the guys they were trying to trade.

Gholston, meanwhile, is on track to be a much more colossal bust than Thomas, given his athleticism and strength. If all he's able to do is bull-rush a little and provide depth at the 3-4 DE position, he'll be gone after 2010. At least Thomas stuck around a while and is smart enough to read a play.

Considering we could have had Ed Reed instead of Thomas, I'd say his career has been disappointing too, Matt. He's a good run stopper but is very replacable. Its why the media reported he was one of the guys they were trying to trade.

Gholston, meanwhile, is on track to be a much more colossal bust than Thomas, given his athleticism and strength. If all he's able to do is bull-rush a little and provide depth at the 3-4 DE position, he'll be gone after 2010. At least Thomas stuck around a while and is smart enough to read a play.

Thomas is a serviceable player. He's just happened to surivive three regimes. Longest tenured Jet other than Ellis I believe. If the Jets knew what Thomas would be post his new contract- I doubt he ever sees that money and his still on the team.

You realize we're talking about 3-4 DE, not 4-3 DE, don't you? The same position where your only role is to "be strong and take up multiple blockers"? Sounds to me like just about any toolbag who can bench 250 can do it.

Exactly, D'Brick says he's "very strong". See my above point. If this is all we're asking of him, then I stand by my point that 3-4 DE is the least important and complex position of the D. Rex obviously agrees, or he wouldn't be putting Gholston there rather than having him ride the pine like last year.

Less complex does not mean less important. By your definition NT isn't particularly important, but it may be the single most important position in the 3-4. Gholston didn't exactly ride the pine last year. He got snaps, even in the playoffs. Not many, but he was getting them and he was struggling with hamstring problems most of the season.

Okay, is Gholston a complete bust so far? Absolutely. But on another hand we need to remember that the jets were'nt the only team that would've taken him at 6 in 08. Its widely rumored that the "Genious" BB wanted Gholston over everyone else in the top ten,so when we grabbed him BB chose to move down from 7 to 10 where the supposedly second best OLB was,Mayo. Vernon's sacks and combine made 85% of the nfl teams think he was the real deal not just our beloved jets. So i'm kinda tired of hearing how dumb we were for taking him. He still can be effective at DE i believe.

"He's very strong," said left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who blocks Gholston in practice. "That's something you feel in the trenches, and now you're seeing him down after down. I think he'll be a good fit at end."

from espn.com

What is DBrick supposed to say when ESPN asks him for a quote on Gholston's progress at DE? To me, he was giving a "kind" sound bite.

There are plenty of "very strong" people out there...doesn't mean they know how to play football...especially at the high level the Jets thought he'd be playing at.

What is DBrick supposed to say when ESPN asks him for a quote on Gholston's progress at DE? To me, he was giving a "kind" sound bite.

There are plenty of "very strong" people out there...doesn't mean they know how to play football...especially at the high level the Jets thought he'd be playing at.

Do we have to overanalyze every said by everyone to this degree? Why is everything "he said that because he has to?"

Brick said he is very strong. Take it at face value. He didn't say he is the best football player he has ever seen. He meant what he said.

And if you want to analyze that from a football perspective, then being strong at DE in a 3-4 is exactly what you want since his primary responsibility will be to occupy blockers.

Not for nothing, but when Gholston did play last year he was very good at occupying blockers. The problem was that wasn't his responsibility as an OLB in a 3-4. If he can do it just as well from the DE position this year, he will be fine. Will he ever live up to his draft position? Probably not. But if we can turn him into a solid, contributing player, I'm all for it and am willing to reserve judgement until I see him play.

Do we have to overanalyze every said by everyone to this degree? Why is everything "he said that because he has to?"

Brick said he is very strong. Take it at face value. He didn't say he is the best football player he has ever seen. He meant what he said.

And if you want to analyze that from a football perspective, then being strong at DE in a 3-4 is exactly what you want since his primary responsibility will be to occupy blockers.

Not for nothing, but when Gholston did play last year he was very good at occupying blockers. The problem was that wasn't his responsibility as an OLB in a 3-4. If he can do it just as well from the DE position this year, he will be fine. Will he ever live up to his draft position? Probably not. But if we can turn him into a solid, contributing player, I'm all for it and am willing to reserve judgement until I see him play.

What??? I was commenting on the "very strong" part of the quote. And you're actually agreeing with me that it has nothing to do with football.

We can also agree that we'll wait for the games to begin whether this is the final year of Gholston as a Jet or...."greener" pastures.

What??? I was commenting on the "very strong" part of the quote. And you're actually agreeing with me that it has nothing to do with football.

We can also agree that we'll wait for the games to begin whether this is the final year of Gholston as a Jet or...."greener" pastures.

Sorry if that came off too harsh.

Archived