Gholston

TNJet

Any news? hows he looking at DE...whats his weight now etc?

Not sure what his weight is, but rex said at one of his press conferences last week that Gholston is doing quite well, but didnt want to boast about him because he didnt want to set him up for failure, he just wants him to learn

He also said that there was a practice where if they were in pads Gholston would have beat his man for 3 sacks on the day.

Scary.

If Gholston becomes a solid DE it would be like 2 1st round picks this year. Its a position we really need help at as well.

Im not for certain but I believe that was Ryans May 20th press conference. Check it out on the Jets website.

vernon gholston is way down the list of

"Things Jets fans should worry about"

#1 Mark Sanchez knee, soph slump?

#2 Placekicking

#3 Vlad for Faneca

#4 Jenks staying healthy

#5 Pool for Rhodes

#6 Punter is sketchy

#7 no backup QB

#8 will Cromartie decide to tackle?

#9 both new WR are 1 bad night away from suspension

#10 new long snapper Purdum

#11 the RB corp (greene gets hurt, LT is old, McK pukey)

etc...

in light of all the other issues...

Gholston's development shouldn't be such a hot topic.

VG he's gonna be fine.

and even if he's not it's the league's #1 defense. they won't miss him.

#2 Placekicking

#3 Vlad for Faneca

#4 Jenks staying healthy

#5 Pool for Rhodes

#6 Punter is sketchy

#7 no backup QB

etc...

VG he's gonna be fine.

I hate the sophmore slump BS

lousy cliche

the bigest concern jets fans shoud have is jenkins

if he stays healthy, the jets defense will be scary

#2 Placekicking

#3 Vlad for Faneca

#4 Jenks staying healthy

#5 Pool for Rhodes

#6 Punter is sketchy

#7 no backup QB

etc...

VG he's gonna be fine.

So placekicking, punting, and long snapping are bigger concerns to you than the DE position and one of the guys expected to fill it? Pool for Rhodes should be one of our concerns, but VG's gonna be just fine - or he's not - but it doesn't matter because the dee is #1 anyway?

Got it.

The kickers aren't even on my list. There's always a kicker out there. James Dearth is out there.

But the Jets need help at DE, and Vernon needs to produce.

#2 Placekicking

#3 Vlad for Faneca

#4 Jenks staying healthy

#5 Pool for Rhodes

#6 Punter is sketchy

#7 no backup QB

etc...

VG he's gonna be fine.

Agree with most of your points except #1. No concern about Sanchez

#2 Placekicking

#3 Vlad for Faneca

#4 Jenks staying healthy

#5 Pool for Rhodes

#6 Punter is sketchy

#7 no backup QB

etc...

VG he's gonna be fine.

Fortunately, this is true because Gholston is not going to be fine. He does not have what it takes to be an NFL calibur football player.

So placekicking, punting, and long snapping are bigger concerns to you than the DE position and one of the guys expected to fill it? Pool for Rhodes should be one of our concerns, but VG's gonna be just fine - or he's not - but it doesn't matter because the dee is #1 anyway?

Got it.

The kickers aren't even on my list. There's always a kicker out there. James Dearth is out there.

But the Jets need help at DE, and Vernon needs to produce.

As much as you and I would like to see the passing game improved, I don't think there's a chance that we'll crack the top half of the league this year and that is OK, but, that means we're still a running/defense team.

For teams like that, kicking and punting is key and we downgraded at kicker and probably won't improve in punting either. So, it does concern me.

I'm not "worried" about Gholston, because I have low expectations to begin with. That doesn't mean I shouldn't be pissed at all the money we threw at him and how far short of expectarions he's fallen after wasting a # 6 overall pick on him, whose only known accomplishment is that he one time ran down Chris Johnson.

If Gholston was anything close to the product promised to us after his play at Ohio State, we may well be talking about how we're going to go about repeating as Super Bowl champs. Saying "we had the # 1 D anyways" is not a reason to exclude Gholston from blame. Fact is, we go from "# 1 D" to "one of the greatest defenses of all-time" if Gholston was a quality pass rusher for us.

Not to mention, it should bother you when Rex says "if you can't play for me, you can't play for anyone", and even HE can't utilize all this kid's God-given talents because he's a lazy, incompetent f*** who deserves to get his ass kicked by Mike DeVito for every day that he steals money from the New York Jets.

Hell, he'd BETTER give us something at DE this year, or I might try to kick his ass myself. He might be a big enough puss* for a 6-0, 180 lbs. guy like me to do some damage.

I'm not "worried" about Gholston, because I have low expectations to begin with. That doesn't mean I shouldn't be pissed at all the money we threw at him and how far short of expectarions he's fallen after wasting a # 6 overall pick on him, whose only known accomplishment is that he one time ran down Chris Johnson.

If Gholston was anything close to the product promised to us after his play at Ohio State, we may well be talking about how we're going to go about repeating as Super Bowl champs. Saying "we had the # 1 D anyways" is not a reason to exclude Gholston from blame. Fact is, we go from "# 1 D" to "one of the greatest defenses of all-time" if Gholston was a quality pass rusher for us.

Not to mention, it should bother you when Rex says "if you can't play for me, you can't play for anyone", and even HE can't utilize all this kid's God-given talents because he's a lazy, incompetent f*** who deserves to get his ass kicked by Mike DeVito for every day that he steals money from the New York Jets.

Hell, he'd BETTER give us something at DE this year, or I might try to kick his ass myself. He might be a big enough puss* for a 6-0, 180 lbs. guy like me to do some damage.

I have some solid expectations. I really think that he was out of his position. He didnt understand the game from that angle. He needs to be able to do one thing, thats pressure the

qb.

As much as you and I would like to see the passing game improved, I don't think there's a chance that we'll crack the top half of the league this year and that is OK, but, that means we're still a running/defense team.

That would not be okay. In fact, it would be completely unacceptable. The Jets didn't add Edwards, Holmes, Tomlinson and McKnight over the last two years -after trading up to #5 overall to select a QB- to stay in the bottom half of the league passing.

The Jets were about 70 yards/game out of the middle of the pack last year. The biggest reason why is that the Jets threw the ball about 9-10 fewer times a game than the top 20 or so teams in the league (I didn't do the math there, so don't kill me, just eye-balled it). Sanchez averaged 6.7 yards per attempt. So if the Jets just throw the ball as much as the average NFL team next year, they're right there in the middle of the pack. If Sanchez can get his completion percentage up from 54% to over 60% (certainly doable), then the Jets should be in the top third of the league passing. And that's what they need to do if they believe that they're a championship caliber team.

so... who should they have taken instead?

even with several years of hindsight I still haven't heard a pick that makes more sense.

even with several years of hindsight I still haven't heard a pick that makes more sense.

Exactly. Everyone wants to say that there was some stud we missed out on but there wasn't anyone slated in the top 6 outside of the guys that were taken.

I personally wanted Sedrick Ellis but taking him at 6 would have been a major reach, despite him actually being taken the following pick. Clearly it would have been nice to take Mayo but the Patriots reached on him at 10. Harvey was another guy that would have been possible but did not fit the 34 defense in terms of size.

Had we done the draft over, the only thing we could hope to go different would be the Raiders or Chiefs taking Gholston, leaving us Darren McTackled or Dorsey. Either way we were screwed.

I have some solid expectations. I really think that he was out of his position. He didnt understand the game from that angle. He needs to be able to do one thing, thats pressure the

qb.

I'd like to believe that. But whether you are playing LB or DE, you have to get off of a block. Something he seems incapable of doing.

It seems pretty obvious that the idea of a CB was not out of the question. I was fine with the Gholston pick. High ceiling, low floor. We got the floor, but IMO it was worth the risk. OTOH, all the arguments about not paying another 1st round CB pretty much fly out the window when they are paying Cromartie's 1st round salary AND drafted Wilson in the 1st. Rodgers-Cromartie, McKelvin, Talib or Jenkins all warranted consideration for a team that ended up starting rookie Dwight Lowery at CB.

Exactly. Everyone wants to say that there was some stud we missed out on but there wasn't anyone slated in the top 6 outside of the guys that were taken.

I personally wanted Sedrick Ellis but taking him at 6 would have been a major reach, despite him actually being taken the following pick. Clearly it would have been nice to take Mayo but the Patriots reached on him at 10. Harvey was another guy that would have been possible but did not fit the 34 defense in terms of size.

Had we done the draft over, the only thing we could hope to go different would be the Raiders or Chiefs taking Gholston, leaving us Darren McTackled or Dorsey. Either way we were screwed.

Doing the draft over we should have done what some of us wanted us to do at the time: trade down. Just like New England was able to do one pick later, AFTER the last supposed "blue chip" prospect was off the board.

Jenkins past history makes things a little scary. Hes a 300+lb lineman with a terrible track record.

Gholston is gonna be a BEAST IN 2010-11.

He played 3 full seasons before getting hurt last year... not sure why it is scary.

How about anyone else with a pulse, it would surely beat the productiuon this stiff has provided. Just because "draft daddy" had the bust rated as a "Blue Chip" prospect doesn't mean dick. It's a fact many teams had this kid as a 3rd rounder or even lower including Baltimore (according to Rex and Pettine) so taking him #6 overall isn't exactly a brilliant move.

How about anyone else with a pulse, it would surely beat the productiuon this stiff has provided. Just because "draft daddy" had the bust rated as a "Blue Chip" prospect doesn't mean dick. It's a fact many teams had this kid as a 3rd rounder or even lower including Baltimore (according to Rex and Pettine) so taking him #6 overall isn't exactly a brilliant move.

That's not a "fact" at all. If that were remotely true, Gholston would have been a third round pick and would have been projected as such prior to the draft,

The vast majority of draft boards had Gholston as the sixth best player on the board with a major drop off in talent after him.

Just taking somebody else would have been insanely stupid on draft day. Had the Jets not taken him, the Pats would have stayed at 7 and taken him and the Jets would have been killed before Gholston even stepped on an NFL field for letting their top division rival take a player with Gholston's talent at a position of need.

The Jets were in a near impossible position with the sixth pick in the 2008 draft. Short of trading down, and they had no takers for the pick, what else would have logically had them do.

That's not a "fact" at all. If that were remotely true, Gholston would have been a third round pick and would have been projected as such prior to the draft,

The vast majority of draft boards had Gholston as the sixth best player on the board with a major drop off in talent after him.

Just taking somebody else would have been insanely stupid on draft day. Had the Jets not taken him, the Pats would have stayed at 7 and taken him and the Jets would have been killed before Gholston even stepped on an NFL field for letting their top division rival take a player with Gholston's talent at a position of need.

The Jets were in a near impossible position with the sixth pick in the 2008 draft. Short of trading down, and they had no takers for the pick, what else would have logically had them do.

You're right, Rex Ryan is lying, he said last year Baltimore had Gholston rated as a 3rd rounder. Pettine said the same exact thing.

Michael Lombardi said numerous teams had him rated there as well.

Everyone is just falling all over themselves to see who can be the biggest liar on the subject of a player whose completely irrelevant in the NFL.

That's riiiiiich!

You're right, Rex Ryan is lying, he said last year Baltimore had Gholston rated as a 3rd rounder. Pettine said the same exact thing.

Michael Lombardi said numerous teams had him rated there as well.

Everyone is just falling all over themselves to see who can be the biggest liar on the subject of a player whose completely irrelevant in the NFL.

That's riiiiiich!

:face:

First off, I don't remember reading anything about Ryan stating that the Ravens had Gholston as a third-rounder, same goes for Pettine. I remember them both saying the same things that everyone else said about him leading up to the draft - that they saw flashes of brilliance and then he would disappear at times.

As far as Lombardi is concerned, considering his ridiculously bad track record of predicting anything, I wouldn't take anything he said about football as gospel if I were you. Remember, Lombardi ran the expansion Browns personel department, and then ran the Raiders personel department AFTER their last SB appearance. The guy literally has no credibility whatsoever. He is working for NFL Network because he has proven repeatedly that he is incompetent.

I'd like to believe that. But whether you are playing LB or DE, you have to get off of a block. Something he seems incapable of doing.

True, but a DE doesnt have to worry about coverages and reading the offense. He can be taught how to get off the block. He surely has the strengh, however he cant bulldoze people as he did in college. He needs to learn technique.

in a 3-4 defense

a OLB who can't get off a block is considered ineffective

but a defensive end who 'occupies blockers' is an asset

:face:

First off, I don't remember reading anything about Ryan stating that the Ravens had Gholston as a third-rounder, same goes for Pettine. I remember them both saying the same things that everyone else said about him leading up to the draft - that they saw flashes of brilliance and then he would disappear at times.

As far as Lombardi is concerned, considering his ridiculously bad track record of predicting anything, I wouldn't take anything he said about football as gospel if I were you. Remember, Lombardi ran the expansion Browns personel department, and then ran the Raiders personel department AFTER their last SB appearance. The guy literally has no credibility whatsoever. He is working for NFL Network because he has proven repeatedly that he is incompetent.

Then you should read more.

Archived