The Oil Spill

PS17

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread yet. (has there?)

Does anyone care?

Yes we do care.

Problem is that discussing it will turn it into a political discussion about the raping of our resources by corporations hell bent on making a profit and our government not doing enough to get these bastards to fix the problem.

More proof that no matter who is in power, we still get f#cked. We're all so concerned about health care for a small percentage of Americans yet we allow our government to overlook safety at oil rigs like this that impacts a much higher percentage of Americans.

So yeah, we do care. Problem is there is no debate about it. Everyone is in agreement that this is awful and stupid that this happened at all.

Its a disaster that has taken way too long to be resolved.

So much for drill, baby, drill. This is a disgusting environmental disaster. Hopefully it will propel us to end our oil addiction and encourage development of renewable energy alternatives.

The motivation is already there. The problem is it is going to take some more time to develop these alternatives to the point where they can be produced and distributed in a manner that is anywhere close to the cost efficiency of oil. Drill, baby, drill would be a great way to drive down energy cost and dependance in the meantime if the oil companies had any self discipline coupled with a government capable of doing one of the few things we want them to do - competetent oversight.

This was disgusting from day one. When it was just Louisiana's problem and some oysters and pelicans and marshes were gonna get dirty, people just honestly don't give a ****. Now that the scope of this will likely reach the shores of popular beach resorts on both the west and east coast of FL and all the way up to Myrtle Beach SC, well now EVERYBODY suddenly cares. The bottom line is nobody has an answer on how to fix the problem, and it's going to be catastrophic when all is said and done.

This was disgusting from day one. When it was just Louisiana's problem and some oysters and pelicans and marshes were gonna get dirty, people just honestly don't give a ****. Now that the scope of this will likely reach the shores of popular beach resorts on both the west and east coast of FL and all the way up to Myrtle Beach SC, well now EVERYBODY suddenly cares. The bottom line is nobody has an answer on how to fix the problem, and it's going to be catastrophic when all is said and done.

The spill is so big that it wouldn't surprise me at all if it comes up to NY in late August when the Gulf Stream typically comes up this way.

People care...pretty sure there was no thread because of the political implications.

Terrible situation though...

I figured as much. Trying not to make it political. ;)

The spill is so big that it wouldn't surprise me at all if it comes up to NY in late August when the Gulf Stream typically comes up this way.

True, plus once the hurricanes start coming through it's anyone's guess what shoreline is going to be contaminated. They still find oil under rocks and such in Alaska from the Valdez today. California shoreline is gonna skyrocket in value after this year.

I think we all care and are disgusted.

Exactly

I fished at Port Venice, LA and it was the best time I've ever had fishing. One fish after another and I had a 4' shark up to the boat, but he got away. The place was teeming with wildlife.

Its got to be ruined now.

This is what happens when you're not allowed to drill on nice, solid ground and are forced to drill in 2 miles of F-ing water.

Problem is there isn't a viable alternative because no one can agree on anything. Hydro is bad, it stops a couple f-ing fish from migrating. Solar is bad because it covers some F-ing turtle habitat. Wind is bad because Teddy Kennedy's f-ing family doesn't want to look at the turbines. Nuclear is bad because of waste......because apparently that f-ing $10 gazillion storage hole in Yuma is no good. Natrual Gas is bad because it's a fossil fuel and although the US has one of the greatest supplies in the world, it's much cleaner than oil, and retrofitting vehicles would be the easiest of them all, someone doesn't like it because it's not the Marty McFly Garbage based fusion generator on the Delorean. Hydrogen is bad because it's too expensive. Electric is bad because the vehicles are too quiet for the blind (Not making that up), the range isn't squat, and our ancient, obsolete power grid (the same one that craps the bed during the summer when too many A/C units are on) can't handle it all. Meanwhile, while the citizens, their politicans, corporations, & environmentalists find every single piss-ant reason to S-Can every single alternative, we pay our f-ing mortal enemies, you know, the people trying to kill us, a gazillion dollars every year.

JFK, who I'm no massive fan of, said this country would put a man on the moon within 10 years and we effing did it. Say what you want about the man, but he had an idea, he focused this country, and it happened. Someone needs to step up and make a decision. Formally declare it the official national energy goal/policy and make it happen. It as big of a national security liability as they come.

This country lacks focus, unity & desire. It's become a land of lost sheep, grazing the lands. Meanwhile every single swinging dick in D.C., on every side of the aisle, is balls deep in a lobbyist's anus.

So much for drill, baby, drill. This is a disgusting environmental disaster. Hopefully it will propel us to end our oil addiction and encourage development of renewable energy alternatives.

I agree 100%. The problem is that the people making billions off of oil/polution/death havent figured out how to put a cloud over your house if you happen not to pay your Solar Panel electric bill lol. Its all for gain, we wont hear a "peep" out of the energy industry about alternative energy until they've figured out how to make us pay for it.

There's a guy who drove his car 100 miles off of 4 ounces of water (hydrogen). Wondered why most never heard about it? You really think these oil tycoons are going to let technology like this become popular? Their business would be obsolete in a matter of weeks.

6Rb_rDkwGnU

This is exactly why advertisements like Pepsi's "refresh project" is just bogus to me. Pepsi is not going to promote real technology like this knowing that they would be basically bankrupting the oil industry. Its just there for amusment and further advertisment for their "drink".

I agree 100%. The problem is that the people making billions off of oil/polution/death havent figured out how to put a cloud over your house if you happen not to pay your Solar Panel electric bill lol. Its all for gain, we wont hear a "peep" out of the energy industry about alternative energy until they've figured out how to make us pay for it.

There's a guy who drove his car 100 miles off of 4 ounces of water (hydrogen). Wondered why most never heard about it? You really think these oil tycoons are going to let technology like this become popular? Their business would be obsolete in a matter of weeks.

6Rb_rDkwGnU

This is exactly why advertisements like Pepsi's "refresh project" is just bogus to me. Pepsi is not going to promote real technology like this knowing that they would be basically bankrupting the oil industry. Its just there for amusment and further advertisment for their "drink".

While I do love the water technology, I can't help but be weary of such a gluttonous, consumptive society such as ours using one of the most important life sustaining resources as fuel.

While I do love the water technology, I can't help but be weary of such a gluttonous, consumptive society such as ours using one of the most important life sustaining resources as fuel.

We are a glutton society, I see your point, however we use the resource as fuel every single day....we drink it. The great thing is that Water is the safest and cleanest resouce so we can use water and have 20 cars if we like, the impact on the enviornment is still "nil". On top of that the exhaust from the car would be steam so its not like we're even depleting the resource.

We need to redevelop and teach responsibility thats all. Maybe if people realize how important and diverse water is we'd respect it more.

It took roughly 40 years for us to go from the first computer to the first home computer. I still believe these alternative fuel sources will become available in time, but the instant gratification people seem to be looking for is not realistic.

In the iterim, buy Tesla.

It took roughly 40 years for us to go from the first computer to the first home computer. I still believe these alternative fuel sources will become available in time, but the instant gratification people seem to be looking for is not realistic.

In the iterim, buy Tesla.

Its quite realistic. The only problem is that coorporations must find a way to maintain profit margins. Thats whats really holding technology back from the public, lets be serious.

Its quite realistic. The only problem is that coorporations must find a way to maintain profit margins. Thats whats really holding technology back from the public, lets be serious.

Not to mention many of the big oil companies hold the patents to many alternative fuel solutions and have no motivation to develop them, given the giant cash cow that oil is. They bought up the patents to eliminate the competition.

As usual, it must be a conspiracy.

Lets not forget that there's no infrastructure available for these technologies right now, nor can they currently be produced at a cost that the average consumer can afford.

We should ignore things like the fact that the government offers enormous tax credits for you to install solar panels on your home, but the cost of those panels (roughly 20K for a small home) still makes it prohibitive. We should ignore the fact that it currently costs about 5K to just make a tank that stores hydrogen for the fuel cell cars and the Honda Clarity, a fully functional fuel cell car, costs about $300,000 and can be filled up at one of less than 100 hydrogen stations in the US right now. We should ignore the fact that a replacement battery for electric cars cost roughly $35,000 right now. Most importantly, we should ignore the fact that these same corporations stand to make millions off this technology when it reaches consumers hands, no different than the personal computer.

Technological advancements take time. Believe it or not, good things are actually happening right now, and as soon as these corporations can find a way to make these products for a cost that the average consumer can afford, they will do everything in their power to get your money.

Not to mention many of the big oil companies hold the patents to many alternative fuel solutions and have no motivation to develop them, given the giant cash cow that oil is. They bought up the patents to eliminate the competition.

You hit it right on the head. There are tons of stories of big oil/industry companies buying up the patent itself or giving the patent holders hundreds of millions of dollars not to act on the patent and seek funds to develop the technology.

Its called technology and information hoarding.

Technology allows people to be more efficient get richer and accumulate more stuff. That's the point of technology. You want less consumption reduce the amount of people.

the whole thing is disgusting

they should put BP guys in jail for ruining the gulf

or at the very least dunk Tony Heywards head in the murky waters for a couple minutes each day

its funny to me that the same people claiming the government is too big are also clamoring for government to "take charge" of the situation.

the government is too big... unless you need it, right?

as for those who say that Alternatives are too far away

this is a country that went from having no space program to a man on the moon in 10 years. We split the atom (using mostly foreign scientists, but still).

We _CAN_ get away from oil. Anything is possible. This is a tragedy but maybe it will be a wake up call too.

There are no Solar power spills or wind power spills. it's a matter of priorities... if we dont care about the ocean, the air or nature, then sure, drill away.

I find it ironic that some people want the gov't off their back- gov't is too big suffocating people freedoms but now they can not understand why the gov't is not involved from the beginning.

the whole thing is disgusting

they should put BP guys in jail for ruining the gulf

or at the very least dunk Tony Heywards head in the murky waters for a couple minutes each day

its funny to me that the same people claiming the government is too big are also clamoring for government to "take charge" of the situation.

as for those who say that Alternatives are too far away

this is a country that went from having no space program to a man on the moon in 10 years. We split the atom (using mostly foreign scientists, but still).

We _CAN_ get away from oil. Anything is possible. This is a tragedy but maybe it will be a wake up call too.

There are no Solar power spills or wind power spills. it's a matter of priorities... if we dont care about the ocean, the air or nature, then sure, drill away.

What makes me wonder s why BP is not being punished by our government? I own a 21' boat that I take out all the time off Sandy Hook. I am insured for $500,000 for fuel spills. If I started spilling fuel from my tanks I would be fined and punished to the hilt! They would spare no mercy on me. So to be clear if I spill 40 gallons of fuel at most from my boat I get treated like a criminal, but if I spill a gazillion gallons I'll receive government aid and assistance to clean it up. Makes sense. There should be no limit to BP's liability in this matter. If cleaning it up bankrupts them, so be it.

Doesn't this cut both ways? We have a huge Federal government that not only leased the extraction of US owned Oil to BP but they are supposed to have regulatory over sight to make sure it's done safely.

They aren

Technology allows people to be more efficient get richer and accumulate more stuff. That's the point of technology. You want less consumption reduce the amount of people.

Not sure you got the point of my post. Water is not an unlimited resource. It is also something that is absolutely crucial to sustaining life. If we run out of oil then we as society simply figure out a new way to power our systems or at the very worst go back to the old days without power at all. But we still survive because we have the basic elements. If we run out of water, we die. On paper, using 4 oz of water to go 100 miles looks awesome as hell. Multiply if by every car in the world going an average of 5000 miles a year, it starts to look like a whole lot more water. Add in the possibility of using water to power electricity, heat, etc... you see where I'm going?

I find it ironic that some people want the gov't off their back- gov't is too big suffocating people freedoms but now they can not understand why the gov't is not involved from the beginning.

What's ironic is the same people who think we need bigger government to put the hammer on big corporations don't get the fact that bigger government becomes dependent on big corporations to fund it.

What's ironic is the same people who think we need bigger government to put the hammer on big corporations don't get the fact that bigger government becomes dependent on big corporations to fund it.

And there lies the rub. We these corporations fund bigger gov't with the implication that bigger gov't will grease the wheels for them. The Department of Minerals administers and oversees oil drilling. The beurocrats in the Dept of Minerals are almost all oil company people. The fox has literally been running the henhouse all this time, hence why a simple, $500,000 part that could have avoided all this is not mandatory in the US. It's also why the rig was allowed to continue to operate while having failed safety and operation inspections.

I look at it this way-BP is like a horny young man in his early 20's. The gov't basically stuffs a ton of money in his pocket, puts him in a room of hookers, strippers, drugs, etc...one big party...and then tells him they'll turn the other cheek if he decides to imbibe a little. Yes BP is irresponsible, but the gov't basically allowed them to be the whole time. It's time for all to pay the piper. Make BP cover all expense of the cleanup and compensate alll businesses who are negatively impacted by the spill until they are bankrupt. Then, completely overhaul the Dept of Minerals and bar the big oil companies from making political contributions.

As usual, it must be a conspiracy.

Lets not forget that there's no infrastructure available for these technologies right now, nor can they currently be produced at a cost that the average consumer can afford.

We should ignore things like the fact that the government offers enormous tax credits for you to install solar panels on your home, but the cost of those panels (roughly 20K for a small home) still makes it prohibitive. We should ignore the fact that it currently costs about 5K to just make a tank that stores hydrogen for the fuel cell cars and the Honda Clarity, a fully functional fuel cell car, costs about $300,000 and can be filled up at one of less than 100 hydrogen stations in the US right now. We should ignore the fact that a replacement battery for electric cars cost roughly $35,000 right now. Most importantly, we should ignore the fact that these same corporations stand to make millions off this technology when it reaches consumers hands, no different than the personal computer.

Technological advancements take time. Believe it or not, good things are actually happening right now, and as soon as these corporations can find a way to make these products for a cost that the average consumer can afford, they will do everything in their power to get your money.

As usual, you dont realize the world you live in. Why dont you ask Boozer, he also knows about the patents being purchased from inventors so the technology wont flourish. Do you ever look into anything or do you just talk?

Also, the technology could be made, those figures are simply excuses that these companies use to continue drilling for oil. You know how much money it takes to pay people to find and then drill for oil, convert it from crude to usable then to pass it to distributers for public consumption? It cost Millions EY. If you were to invest that into the technology itself then you could cut the middle men and simply get your fuel from your kitchen. The middlemen are the problem here. You dont need solar panels, electric cars. Everything could be hydrogen based, we surely have enough water on the planet.

Also, you dont need "big corporations" in order to develop technology. There's plenty of people with great technology if you can find it, just like the video that I put up of the gentlemen with the hydrogen car. I recently purchased a Bio Photonic water filter for my kitchen. I didnt need "big corp" to advertise this to me, I found it by looking and seeing what the technology does and how it could benefit my health.

Research EY, you'd be surprised what you find out. Then I wont be such the conspiracy theory all the time with you.

Archived