Mini Camp Tweets - 6/14

Maxman

From the NY Jets:

1. EA: Cromartie almost picks Sanchez as No. 6 tries to get Holmes in 7-on-7 work. 3 minutes ago via mobile web

[*]

RL: Back to 7on7, Mark Sanchez tries for Santonio Holmes on post, Antonio Cromartie swats away. 5 minutes ago via TinyTwitter

[*]

EA: D. Woodhead got free for a long gainer on a misdirection screen. 9 minutes ago via mobile web

[*]

RL: Danny Woodhead motors upfield with a dumpoff from Kellen Clemens. 11 minutes ago via TinyTwitter

[*]

EA: M. Slauson working with the 1st team at LG. Wonder if they'll flip Vladi in there for practice 2. 11 minutes ago via mobile web

[*]

EA:Big Kris Jenkins out there in team. Good sign for Jets Nation. 16 minutes ago via mobile web

[*]

EA: Give Revis his due though. Earlier in 1-on-1s, he had a PD on a Sanchez pass intended for Edwards. Great battle. 18 minutes ago via mobile web

[*]

EA: Joe McKnight has been pretty much an impossible cover for some of the reserve backers in1-on-1s. 21 minutes ago via mobile web

[*]

EA:Revis was in coverage on the Edwards TD. Momentum carried BE to a fence hurdle. 24 minutes ago via mobile web

[*]

EA: In 1-on-1 work, Sanchez goes long to B. Edwards for a score. Good coverage - better toss and catch. 27 minutes ago via mobile web

[*]

RL: Darrelle Revis, Nick Mangold both in attendance, limbering up with teammates on the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center turf field. about 1 hour ago via web

[*]

RL: Overcast this morning in Florham Pk NJ but that hasn't kept fans away. Players starting to loosen up for open minicamp practice.

1. Screen_shot_2010-04-16_at_12.31.41_AM_normal.png NYPost_Hubbuch
    Revis said the #Jets can't claim Asomugha's big $$$ contract is an aberration. "That's the bar," he said. 6 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

[*] Screen_shot_2010-04-16_at_12.31.41_AM_normal.png NYPost_Hubbuch

Revis said he wants to make "50 cents more" than Nnamdi Asomugha's $16.2M average and is serious about sitting out training camp. #Jets

1. Screen_shot_2010-04-16_at_12.31.41_AM_normal.png NYPost_Hubbuch
    Revis purposely sat out several drills today to protest his contract situation. #Jets 19 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

[*] headshot_Manish_Mehta_normal.jpg TheJetsStream

Revis says jets offer with no fully guaranteed money is "insult." "As of right now, it doesn't look good," he says. #nfl #jets

NYPost_Hubbuch

No Mangold in interview area yet, but he also missed some drills at the end of practice. Curious if Nick had "contract flu," too. #Jets

Revis is making me sick, almost as much as Al Davis!

Yeah, I'm really sick of his crap. I will have absolutely no respect for him if he holds out of training camp with three years left on his deal. If I'm the Jets and he holds out even ONE day I tell him right then and there "we'll talk to you again in three years". Maybe two if he's lucky.

Yeah, I'm really sick of his crap. I will have absolutely no respect for him if he holds out of training camp with three years left on his deal. If I'm the Jets and he holds out even ONE day I tell him right then and there "we'll talk to you again in three years". Maybe two if he's lucky.

BG, Revis was fine with his rookie deal until the Jets approached him about a long term deal. The FO brought this on and certainly deserves some of the blame for the current situation.

BG, Revis was fine with his rookie deal until the Jets approached him about a long term deal. The FO brought this on and certainly deserves some of the blame for the current situation.

The only person dumber than Revis for saying that is you for believing it. 'I was perfectly content to play out my current contract but then the Jets came to me out of the blue and promised me a new deal before the 2010 season, so I guess I'm just gonna have to hold out.' Oookay. Leaving entirely aside the implausibility of the first part, how exactly do you promise somebody something when performing on said promise requires his cooperation? Make no mistake, this is shoot your way out of town **** happening right here.

The only person dumber than Revis for saying that is you for believing it. 'I was perfectly content to play out my current contract but then the Jets came to me out of the blue and promised me a new deal before the 2010 season, so I guess I'm just gonna have to hold out.' Oookay. Leaving entirely aside the implausibility of the first part, how exactly do you promise somebody something when performing on said promise requires his cooperation? Make no mistake, this is shoot your way out of town **** happening right here.

To where? Who is going to pay Revis what he wants? Where is he going to go and play on a defense this stacked?

You do realize that the only bullet in Revis' gun is a TC holdout and that bullet is a blank as he would leave $20 million on the table by doing so.

You don't know if the front office brought this on themselves. The agent could have called ASKING for a new deal and the Jets said "we'll think about it, yes we'd like to lock him up long term" and they took that as new deal asap.

I'd strongly consider dealing revis if this keeps up. You probably could get a 1st and 2nd rounder. I would rather Revis, but if this is going to be a problem then fix it.

You don't know if the front office brought this on themselves. The agent could have called ASKING for a new deal and the Jets said "we'll think about it, yes we'd like to lock him up long term" and they took that as new deal asap.

I'd strongly consider dealing revis if this keeps up. You probably could get a 1st and 2nd rounder. I would rather Revis, but if this is going to be a problem then fix it.

Based on Revis PC from last Thursday, the Jets came to him at the end of the season, telling him they wanted to lock him up longterm. I would expect that if he was lying, the team would have refuted that info.

You don't trade away a talent like Revis. You just don't do it. He'll be locked up before TC. The press is making this a much bigger deal than it really is.

You do realize that the only bullet in Revis' gun is a TC holdout and that bullet is a blank as he would leave $20 million on the table by doing so.

considering he's worth at least 3x that in guarantees, and considering he's already held out as a rookie, I think everyone is underestimating Revis' leverage.

I'd strongly consider dealing revis if this keeps up. You probably could get a 1st and 2nd rounder.

what's the point of having draft picks if you don't resign the 1st team All-pros when you find em?

renting young players and let the other teams pay em when they establish themselves as super stars?

The Jets are bungling this whole thing. Woody has money for a done Brett Favre and a boondoggle building... but no money for Revis? The priorities are all screwed up. Without Revis, Rex's D would fall apart. Without Rex's D it's a 6-10 team.

Tell him to stfu. Play this season and then deal his ass next offseason.

F Darrelle Revis.

Based on Revis PC from last Thursday, the Jets came to him at the end of the season, telling him they wanted to lock him up longterm. I would expect that if he was lying, the team would have refuted that info.

Even if he's telling the truth it's ****ing retarded. An analogy: let's say I promise to buy your house. I make offers, you refuse them. You then go running around complaining about how I broke my promise. Do you not see how this is stupid? You can't very well complain about somebody failing to perform on a promise which was always within your power to prevent from occurring and which you did in fact take steps to prevent from occurring. That's logically reserved for instances where somebody promises to do something that's actually within his power to effectuate unilaterally and then doesn't. There is no logical ground for Revis to invoke the 'broken promises' chorus, nor is doing so alone going to get him a new deal. But when you factor in how much we've got riding on this season and how many other guys are in line for contracts, he can create a hell of a distraction even absent any real leverage with respect to his own situation.

It's all your fault. Everybody here has been sucking his **** since 2008. He is not only the best CB on the team, but the best CB in the league, the best CB in Jets history and is coming off the greatest CB season of all time. Not only that, but the Rex D is apparently completely predicated on having the greatest CB of all time and without him the team will fall apart.

Never mind the fact that Samari Rolle was probably the best CB he every had previously. He's a great player, but he's only a CB and I'd rather spend money on the lines or QB.

My take is that he is worried about the lockout and wants some money now instead of his short salary because there may be no games when he's due the big money under his rookie deal. The Jets are afraid to pay him because the future cap is unknown and they are restricted on the one year raise by the current rules. Times are tough, be polite, but play hardball with him if you must. Let him jibber jabber. What's he going to do? Sit out? Play like **** and hurt his future value? **** him. He's playing man, it's not like he can sabotage the team and blame it on Kerry Rhodes.

Even if he's telling the truth it's ****ing retarded. An analogy: let's say I promise to buy your house. I make offers, you refuse them. You then go running around complaining about how I broke my promise. Do you not see how this is stupid? You can't very well complain about somebody failing to perform on a promise which was always within your power to prevent from occurring and which you did in fact take steps to prevent from occurring. That's logically reserved for instances where somebody promises to do something that's actually within his power to effectuate unilaterally and then doesn't. There is no logical ground for Revis to invoke the 'broken promises' chorus, nor is doing so alone going to get him a new deal. But when you factor in how much we've got riding on this season and how many other guys are in line for contracts, he can create a hell of a distraction even absent any real leverage with respect to his own situation.

I think it's a much bigger distraction for the fans than the players.

The players understand its a business and that some guys are worth more than other guys and that every team is going to play hardball in negotiations unless they are a free agent.

What the hell is up with these guys that have never won more than 9-10 games in a season thinking they deserve top dollar?

You do not hear winning teams with such crazy expectations from players... just retarded teams like the Skins and Raiders.

all of the Jets players who are demanding new contracts should contact the Union leadership and demand a new CBA.

If all of the players in the league who are unhappy w/their contracts spent 1/2 the amount of time bitching to the union leadership as they did bitching to the media they'd get a new CBA and a new deal.

I can't see the logic in giving someone a $20M check when nobody knows if there will even be a 2011 season and what the rules will be if there is one.

You don't trade away a talent like Revis. You just don't do it. He'll be locked up before TC. The press is making this a much bigger deal than it really is.

I'm sure they would have liked to lock him up, but it's kind of tough to make up these huge long term contracts with no idea about the future cap landscape.

The problem isn't that you didn't buy my house, it's that YOU'VE INSULTED ME!!!!

This whole situation is really starting to make me ill and I really don't think either side is acting right in this situation.

1) If there was indeed no guranteed money on the second offer, than frankly I don't blame Revis for being insulted. Frankly if they were smart, they'd put in a lot of guranteed money with the hopes of driving down the Aso contract demand (i.e. must be paid more than $15.5 million)

2) That being said, if Revis is half a**ing it and is making a spectacle of things by pulling a Brandon Marshall, then that is not good either. I've pretty much thought Revis needed to get taken care of and didn't buy into the "live up to your contract" rhetoric (as NFL teams will cut underperforming/aging/injured players in a heartbeat). But this is not professional and frankly if he's going to pull this, I'd rather he just stayed home.

Bottom line is that neither side is acting right in this situation and as of now. This combined with Mangold also being unhappy and so many key players coming near the end of their contracts (possibly being UFA next offseason, depending on the outcome of the new CBA) and its putting a damper on what should be one of the most anticipated seasons in Jets history.

This whole situation is really starting to make me ill and I really don't think either side is acting right in this situation.

1) If there was indeed no guranteed money on the second offer, than frankly I don't blame Revis for being insulted. Frankly if they were smart, they'd put in a lot of guranteed money with the hopes of driving down the Aso contract demand (i.e. must be paid more than $15.5 million)

2) That being said, if Revis is half a**ing it and is making a spectacle of things by pulling a Brandon Marshall, then that is not good either. I've pretty much thought Revis needed to get taken care of and didn't buy into the "live up to your contract" rhetoric (as NFL teams will cut underperforming/aging/injured players in a heartbeat). But this is not professional and frankly if he's going to pull this, I'd rather he just stayed home.

Bottom line is that neither side is acting right in this situation and as of now. This combined with Mangold also being unhappy and so many key players coming near the end of their contracts (possibly being UFA next offseason, depending on the outcome of the new CBA) and its putting a damper on what should be one of the most anticipated seasons in Jets history.

I'm not sure, but the lack of guaranteed money may have been due to the uncertainty of the cap situation. They give him a big first year. Then if the cap is tiny they can renegotiate without any implications going forward. If everything is guaranteed and the cap is small they are ****ed.

Seems to me that the Jets have a 1 year window of opportunity to win the SB and that year is now.

o_rly.jpg

Darrelle Revis, age 24

Mark Sanchez, age 23

Shonn Greene, age 24

Nick Mangold, age 26

Santonio Holmes, age 26

Antonio Cromartie, age 26

David Harris, age 26

D'Brickashaw Ferguson, age 26

Kyle Wilson, age 23

Braylon Edwards, age 27

Jerricho Cotchery, age 27

Dustin Keller, age 25

Bart Scott, age 29

Kris Jenkins, age 30

Vlad Ducasse, age 22

Brandon Moore, age 30

Jim Leonhard, age 27

Brodney Pool, age 26

Calvin Pace, age 29

Joe McKnight, age 23

Brad Smith, age 26

Jamaal Westerman, age 25

John Conner, age 23

Mike DeVito, age 26

The above is basically the core of the team for the foreseeable future. I only counted 2 players that are at 30 years old currently (AT, not OVER), and 17 of them are 26 and under.

And if you're going to say "you can't keep all these young players!" you're just proving my point. Having lots of quality young talent to pay is a GOOD problem to have.

Or, if you're going to say "you left out your aging vets", fine, here's all the guys that Jets management has ALREADY DECIDED based on things they've hinted at will be gone, either by putting them on the trade block, signing them to short-term deals, or deciding not to extend them:

Shaun Ellis, age 32

Damien Woody, 32

LaDainian Tomlinson, age 30

Bryan Thomas, age 31

Jason Taylor, age 35

Tony Richardson, age 38

Kellen Clemens, age 27

Can you honestly say with a straight face that the Patriots will be in this good of shape in 2012 after the inevitable work stoppage? Because there's certainly no way you can say the Jets are only built for right now.

Even if we only manage to re-sign 2 of the 4 guys that have asked for new deals, we have LOTS of young talent and can pretty easily address our remaining needs through the draft, where Tannenbaum has proven particularly adept at pinpointing and acquiring players that can help the team.

1) I do not recall saying anything about the Patriots in my prior post.

2) You are truly naive if you think the 24 players listed "will basically be the core of your team for the forseeable future." That's pretty funny.

Archived