Lebron to announce decision Thursday Night at 9pm on ESPN

Matt39

There's only one Jordan, but there's really no comparing them if James signs with the Heat. Jordan did it on his own, lost many times in the playoffs before he got to the 'promise land'. James just gave up and took the easy way out.
This!

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's only one Jordan, but there's really no comparing them if James signs with the Heat. Jordan did it on his own, lost many times in the playoffs before he got to the 'promise land'. James just gave up and took the easy way out.

Very true, the only way he could really trump MJ is to stay in Cleveland and win a handful of titles with no other top star.

He could take on MJ's legacy head to head in Chicago and put himself in a position to be the greatest ever... he cannot do that on the NYK.

Right, but MJ didn't have to play in LA to overcome Kareem's or Wilt's legacy or in Boston to overcome Russel's.

He could take on MJ's legacy head to head in Chicago and put himself in a position to be the greatest ever... he cannot do that on the NYK.

No, nobody is crazy enough to do that. Look @ all the guys who tried to go head to head with the MJ legacy, and they don't even play in Chicago. Kobe is the 'closest' and he's even failed because his win/loss record in the Finals and some shaky performances. MJ is/was the 'gift and curse' to Chicago Bulls basketball IMO.

Very true, the only way he could really trump MJ is to stay in Cleveland and win a handful of titles with no other top star.

So far, that hasn't worked out. Also, chances are, he's gone from Cleveland.

At least I can stay a retired Knick fan.

Dolan is the No. 1 problem with this franchise. Once he's gone and Cablevision sells the team then the Knicks "will be back" as Amare prematurely proclaimed.

The Dolan family has also run the Cleveland Indians into the ground. Don't think that's gone unoticed by James and many others.

Also may be some NYErs will finally get that we have state and local governments that mismanage the 10% tax money they steal from us every day.This has been true forever whether the pol running the city and state has a D or an R at the end of his name. Florida and Miami have no income tax, and I don't see anyone starving there.

Growing up there were always these old guys who would wax poetic about the Brooklyn Dodgers, how great it would be if they would come back. There's a lot of that in NYers and especially Knicks fans. In an age of the internet and the malling of Manhattan, the things that these old effs like mayor Bloomberg (culture, Broadway, restaurants) think put NY ahead of everyone else mean less and less, if they mean anything at all. You can get anything we have here most places. In fact, big cities in North America look like Midtown does. If James(or Kevin Durant) wins championships he will make big bucks. he doesn't have to be here to do that. Peyton Manning despite playing in Idianapolis is printing money. And the idea going to Broadway shows or fancy restauarants were going to be a big factors is total crap.

The NBA system also has to take a serious hit. We have had numerous teams tank several seasons for practically nothing. For all the competitive balance nonsense the Lakers and Celtics have divvyed up the last few titles.SO the salary cap has accomplished....NOTHING. It comes back to management. Those teams have it and they will succeed. Despite Donnie Walsh, and outfit which has Jimmy Dolan running the show is gonna suck, with or without a salary cap.

You're smoking crack, ECURB.

LeBron turns 26 in December and has been playing in the NBA since he was 18. There is a reason why prep-to-pro players get injured in their early 30s. They're playing 82 games a year between 18-22 yrs old while college kids are playing 30 games a year.

Steve Kerr mentioned that fact recently concerning the Amare.

So, would LeBron win a championship in 2010-11 with the Bulls with Kobe still in LA? If he doesn't, that puts the 7 Championship quest on hold for a year.

Chances are he won't even be healthy enough at some point in the next 7 years to even win 7 championship in a row (which no one has done in modern times), and won't last 10-12 years to space out the 7 titles.

In other words, LeBron is physically incapable of winning 7 titles with Chicago because he won't be able to stay healthy enough to achieve that.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/07/security_tight_around_bath_hom.html

BATH TOWNSHIP, Ohio -- Whatever decision LeBron James makes tonight, the Bath Township police department is ready to maintain order near the basketball superstar's home.

Police Chief Michael McNeeley said they have an extra squad of police officers working tonight around the James home to make sure there are no problems.

LOL.

[url=http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/07/security_tight_around_bath_hom.html]

Supposedly Charlotte is "highly motivated" to land Beasley in a trade...

If any team does Miami the enormous favor of taking Beasley off their hands, they had better hold them hostage for multiple first round picks, but that won't happen.

A Miami team of Wade, LeBron, Bosh, Chalmers, Beasley, and 7 guys making the minimum isn't going to go nearly as far as people seem to think.

All in all, it's just really disappointing. I think for guys like myself, Hector...etc., guys who've stayed true to the league over the past ten years, it's just a sad day. Throughout everything...a top-heavy league, people bitching about it, the Spurs' dynasty, (without question some of the most boring years of championship basketball in the history of the league), Eastern Conference basketball being just a joke for a good half of a decade...the one constant you've had over the years has been watching Lebron James go from rookie phenom to what was supposedly going to be the greatest athlete in the history of American sports. Anyone who watched him over the years knows that this was an entirely plausible scenario. 3 years ago, Kobe Bryant won his first MVP award, and everyone said he better get them in while he can because it was only a matter of time before Lebron started grabbing that distinction on a yearly basis. And that's what it looked like at about the halfway point last year. Barkley declared him inarguably the best basketball player on the planet, and even though it looked like it wasn't a lock for Cleveland to win a title, it certainly looked like it was a lock that Lebron could carry any team with something more than just Mo Williams and an old Shaq to a title.

As a basketball fan, a pure basketball fan, it was just ridiculously exciting to watch. There was no way to not be completely engulfed watching the guy play ball, and no question he was the first guy to bring this to any sport since Jordan.

Now, forget about all of that. Simmons is 100% spot on. Miami's a cop-out. It's just a concession that you're too much of a chicken-**** to try and do it on your own. It's sad from a basketball standpoint on so many levels. Because it doesn't matter how many titles that team may win, they'll always be the rings that he got because he was too scared to grab ahold of the destiny that everyone thought was foregone conclusion. The Lebronathon if you will. Single-handed domination of the league for the next 7-8 years. And as a NBA fan, I was sad that it might not happen on my team, but I couldn't wait to see it regardless.

So now that's gone. And it makes me appreciate Michael Jordan and, dare I say it, Kobe even that much more. Durant even too. Guys who grab the alpha-dog reigns and would never cede it to anybody, even if it means having to force Shaquille O'Neill in his prime out of town or instilling fear in your teammates rather than love. In the end, no matter how many rings he gets with Miami, Wade will always have one more. That's context for you. Something that Lebron for some bizarre reason is unable to grasp, because like Simmons said, he's about to go on national TV and do the cruelest thing to any American city that any athlete has ever done. And I don't know what's sadder, the fact that he doesn't care about it, or the fact that he doesn't realize the potential legacy he's leaving on the table.

All in all, it's just really disappointing. I think for guys like myself, Hector...etc., guys who've stayed true to the league over the past ten years, it's just a sad day. Throughout everything...a top-heavy league, people bitching about it, the Spurs' dynasty, (without question some of the most boring years of championship basketball in the history of the league), Eastern Conference basketball being just a joke for a good half of a decade...the one constant you've had over the years has been watching Lebron James go from rookie phenom to what was supposedly going to be the greatest athlete in the history of American sports. Anyone who watched him over the years knows that this was an entirely plausible scenario. 3 years ago, Kobe Bryant won his first MVP award, and everyone said he better get them in while he can because it was only a matter of time before Lebron started grabbing that distinction on a yearly basis. And that's what it looked like at about the halfway point last year. Barkley declared him inarguably the best basketball player on the planet, and even though it looked like it wasn't a lock for Cleveland to win a title, it certainly looked like it was a lock that Lebron could carry any team with something more than just Mo Williams and an old Shaq to a title.

As a basketball fan, a pure basketball fan, it was just ridiculously exciting to watch. There was no way to not be completely engulfed watching the guy play ball, and no question he was the first guy to bring this to any sport since Jordan.

Now, forget about all of that. Simmons is 100% spot on. Miami's a cop-out. It's just a concession that you're too much of a chicken-**** to try and do it on your own. It's sad from a basketball standpoint on so many levels. Because it doesn't matter how many titles that team may win, they'll always be the rings that he got because he was too scared to grab ahold of the destiny that everyone thought was foregone conclusion. The Lebronathon if you will. Single-handed domination of the league for the next 7-8 years. And as a NBA fan, I was sad that it might not happen on my team, but I couldn't wait to see it regardless.

So now that's gone. And it makes me appreciate Michael Jordan and, dare I say it, Kobe even that much more. Durant even too. Guys who grab the alpha-dog reigns and would never cede it to anybody, even if it means having to force Shaquille O'Neill in his prime out of town or instilling fear in your teammates rather than love. In the end, no matter how many rings he gets with Miami, Wade will always have one more. That's context for you. Something that Lebron for some bizarre reason is unable to grasp, because like Simmons said, he's about to go on national TV and do the cruelest thing to any American city that any athlete has ever done. And I don't know what's sadder, the fact that he doesn't care about it, or the fact that he doesn't realize the potential legacy he's leaving on the table.

+1 billion.

A man isn't afraid to build his own legacy. A boy takes the easy road for praise.

Supposedly Charlotte is "highly motivated" to land Beasley in a trade...

If any team does Miami the enormous favor of taking Beasley off their hands, they had better hold them hostage for multiple first round picks, but that won't happen.

A Miami team of Wade, LeBron, Bosh, Chalmers, Beasley, and 7 guys making the minimum isn't going to go nearly as far as people seem to think.

I read the only way they can get LeBron is if they move Beasley and James will take 1.7mill less so they'll be able to sign Mike Miller to a 30mill deal.

So Wade, LeBron, Bosh, Miller and whoever they get to fill out the roster and take the luxury tax hit.

The NBA system also has to take a serious hit. We have had numerous teams tank several seasons for practically nothing. For all the competitive balance nonsense the Lakers and Celtics have divvyed up the last few titles.SO the salary cap has accomplished....NOTHING. It comes back to management. Those teams have it and they will succeed. Despite Donnie Walsh, and outfit which has Jimmy Dolan running the show is gonna suck, with or without a salary cap.

I think the shortness of rookie deals makes it harder for the reverse order of finish draft system to produce parity. You get a 19yo player for 3-4 years and by the time he really develops he's a free agent. So getting the number one pick in the draft doesn't do as much as it did in the olden days of our youth.

I read the only way they can get LeBron is if they move Beasley and James will take 1.7mill less so they'll be able to sign Mike Miller to a 30mill deal.

So Wade, LeBron, Bosh, Miller and whoever they get to fill out the roster and take the luxury tax hit.

Beasley is gone. Trust me on this.

And the Luxury Tax means nothing to Mickey Arison. He whipes his ass with the Luxury Tax.

I hate Simmons but I feel he hit it on the nose. Miami, out of all places is a cop out. Good for Miami, but LeBron looks like an insecure kid to me.

How is it a cop out? Because he's willing to take LESS money, play with his friends, and win a title? I don't get that. People would rather he stay on a team that can't surround him with talent just to take more money and stay with his hometown team? THAT is a cop out.

It's no longer the "mecca" of basketball broski.

Meh, even at our darkest hours, the fans have still showed up in droves. I've been to packed arenas where some of our top guys in MPG were Tim Thomas and Nazr Mohammad. Where the most emotion you saw on the bench was Malik Rose trying to fire up Penny Hardaway or Shandon Anderson. I'm talking 19,000+ still to watch that crap, myself included. When you show me a city that's able to do that on a consistent basis, come talk to me. Look at the numbers, we were 5th in the league in attendance last year. 5th. Averaging 18-19,000+ on a nightly basis dude. I'm sorry but there's no other city that stays as true to the game no matter how bad the team is. None. That's why it's the mecca, not because James Dolan wrecked us.

Great post, Rutgers!!!

Plus, right now, I wonder why does anyone thinks this TV special is going to have good ratings???

EVERYONE knows it's Miami now and LeBron is going to say so in the first 10 minutes.

Why would anyone in NY, Chicago, or LA watch after that??? Heck, why would anyone in Cleveland watch at all??? It's like going to your own funeral.

Piss poor job by LeBron's camp IMO in leaking this story so early. It doesn't build suspense; it kills it.

How is it a cop out? Because he's willing to take LESS money, play with his friends, and win a title? I don't get that. People would rather he stay on a team that can't surround him with talent just to take more money and stay with his hometown team? THAT is a cop out.

Because he's willing to take less money just to put a check mark to his name to say "Look everyone! I'm a champion! I'm an all-time great!"

I don't expect you to understand. You're probably not a competitive person to begin with and this is your hometown team. Enjoy the day.

Because he's willing to take less money just to put a check mark to his name to say "Look everyone! I'm a champion! I'm an all-time great!"

I don't expect you to understand. You're probably not a competitive person to begin with and this is your hometown team. Enjoy the day.

So wait...someone who wants to leave (and take less money) to go to a better siutation isn't competitive?

Jesus, there aren't enough hours in the day to post examples of how flawed that logic is.

HA. Sounds like me at a Dolphins/Jets game in SoFla.
Maybe if your team actually had their own fans show up at the game, you would not have that problem.

Maybe if they had not sucked for so long, they would. I guess will see that with the heat now.

So wait...someone who wants to leave (and take less money) to go to a better siutation isn't competitive?

Jesus, there aren't enough hours in the day to post examples of how flawed that logic is.

competev compete [kəmˈpiːt]to try to beat others in a contest, fight etc

To beat others. Not join them. I'd rather have a team built around me than me joining someone elses show to just get a ring. Of course you're right though, you're a genius. Like I said, enjoy the day.

When you factor in no Florida income taxes, might not be all that much less. And think also that his endorsement income as a Florida resident is also untaxed by the state and city. Might actually mean a bigger total payday with the Heat.

LOL.

It's a copout because he claims to be an alpha dog and calls himself King James but decides to be Wade's lapdog.

You're unreal. Every NBA fan (meaning, every fan that watches basketball which excludes everyone in South Florida) knows that this is a cop-out.

He is showing that he lacks faith in his own abilities and wants to be carried by Wade.

LOL.

It's a copout because he claims to be an alpha dog and calls himself King James but decides to be Wade's lapdog.

You're unreal. Every NBA fan (meaning, every fan that watches basketball which excludes everyone in South Florida) knows that this is a cop-out.

He is showing that he lacks faith in his own abilities and wants to be carried by Wade.

Shhhhhhhh. Don't bother him. He doesn't have all day to explain this to us.

competev compete [kəmˈpiːt]to try to beat others in a contest, fight etc

To beat others. Not join them. I'd rather have a team built around me than me joining someone elses show to just get a ring. Of course you're right though, you're a genius. Like I said, enjoy the day.

You're right, I forgot, the Heat will show up to the arena and the Celtics, Magic, Hawks and whoever else they play will just forefit. My bad.

Jesus, you guys are Jets fans. You should be well equipped to avoid being butthurt in a situtaion like this.

LOL.

Or he doesn't have faith in Cleveland's ability to surround him with talent? But, I'm sure you'll be able to provide countless examples of NBA Superstars who've won titles completely on their own.

You're right, I forgot, the Heat will show up to the arena and the Celtics, Magic, Hawks and whoever else they play will just forefit. My bad.

Jesus, you guys are Jets fans. You should be well equipped to avoid being butthurt in a situtaion like this.

Which is why it's not surprising at the direction this conversation is going considering you being a Dolphin fan.

Being a Jet fan and being a Knick fan aren't even comparable in terms of levels of raping. Regardless, this isn't a raping.

Archived