Yanks on the brink of landing Cliff Lee

NIGHT STALKER

Even as a life long Yankee fan I find this riddiculous.

I can understand where you're coming from, however as long as the Yankees play within the rules setup by MLB, what's really to complain about? Any team with the resources (like the Mets as an example) can sign this guy as well.

I can understand where you're coming from, however as long as the Yankees play within the rules setup by MLB, what's really to complain about? Any team with the resources (like the Mets as an example) can sign this guy as well.

It is embarrassing NSDQ.

I am not calling the kettle black because I know my team is one of the haves...not the have, but they have money to dispose of.

MLB is broke.

While a min and max salary cap is unlikely, some sort of mechanism to prevent the big market teams from adding big contracts while shedding none. An NBA like soft cap where if you take on Cliff Lee's 8 million you have to shed 8 million or more (i.e. 150% value of gaining contract) if you are a luxury threshold team.

While it might not prevent the big markets from adding salary, maybe adding Cliff Lee and having to shed 12 million in salary will give the Yankees or a big market team some pause.

It is embarrassing NSDQ.

I am not calling the kettle black because I know my team is one of the haves...not the have, but they have money to dispose of.

MLB is broke.

While a min and max salary cap is unlikely, some sort of mechanism to prevent the big market teams from adding big contracts while shedding none. An NBA like soft cap where if you take on Cliff Lee's 8 million you have to shed 8 million or more (i.e. 150% value of gaining contract) if you are a luxury threshold team.

While it might not prevent the big markets from adding salary, maybe adding Cliff Lee and having to shed 12 million in salary will give the Yankees or a big market team some pause.

Seriously, I can understand what you're saying...just as I did with Air Force Jet. But, would you feel the same if your Sox signed him...I think not.

You need to get over that it is the Yankees when fans talk about the imbalance, it is the system.

No one is accusing the Yankees of skating rules.

There is plenty to complain about, when a sport is hardly a sport.

You need to get over that it is the Yankees when fans talk about the imbalance, it is the system.

No one is accusing the Yankees of skating rules.

There is plenty to complain about, when a sport is hardly a sport.

Well, for one thing, this IS about the Yankees in this thread. All I'm saying is that any team with the resources can sign this guy. As far as the system goes, it is what it is and until MLB changes the rules, teams with the money and prospects will take advantage of the "system".

Well, for one thing, this IS about the Yankees in this thread. All I'm saying is that any team with the resources can sign this guy. As far as the system goes, it is what it is and until MLB changes the rules, teams with the money and prospects will take advantage of the "system".

If it were the Mets or Red Sox, some of us would be making the same posts.

It is embarrassing NSDQ.

MLB is broke.

I agree the system is broke...

I meant making the same posts that the system is flawed

Exactly and many of us have on all three teams.

I agree.

Also, if they make this move and put Hughes in the bullpen they are going to f him up for good.

What it did not work for Joba?

If he is not showing any wear and tear, let him go beyond 175 innings. Although, I am all for him being F'd up for good. ;)

I agree.

Also, if they make this move and put Hughes in the bullpen they are going to f him up for good.

I just read that the Yankees are looking to trade Javy. Maybe for bullpen help or even to the Phillies for Jayson Werth.

The Yankees still have a blue chip catching prospect, Austin Romaine, at Double A.

I haven't been right about anything in the sports world lately. I'm losing my touch.

Montero would be a great get for Seattle...6 years of him for 2 months of Cliff Lee could be a huge step in the right direction for them. He's going to be such a monster RH bat.

Mets could get him if they had any f#cking prospects.

But the Yankees will get him since they have real prospects to give up.

Good for the Yankees to be able to pull this off. Bad for the Mets to not have resources.

What, Fernando Martinez is not a prospect to you? ;)

The Mets operate their farm system as a small market club (or at least have the last 4-5 seasons). They prefer the cheaper approach of keeping their prospects and not trading them for organizational fits.

There is good and bad with that.

The Mets have prospects, it is just that some of them are already with the big club (Davis, Niese). The Mets could get big names for them, but they prefer to keep them on the cheap.

Cliff Lee is insurance for Pettite/Burnett

One of the top-10 pitchers (arguably top-5 right now) pitchers in the game being acquired as insurance?

Yeah, the system's not broken at all...

At the very least, there needs to be a salary floor, with a luxury tax threshold and restrictions on signing unrestricted FA's once you're over the "cap."

One of the top-10 pitchers (arguably top-5 right now) pitchers in the game being acquired as insurance?

Yeah, the system's not broken at all...

At the very least, there needs to be a salary floor, with a luxury tax threshold and restrictions on signing unrestricted FA's once you're over the "cap."

And a World draft.

The Mets operate their farm system as a small market club

Hey! They signed a 24th-rounder over slot this year!

It's irked the hell out of me that they haven't gone overslot to satisfy the Commissioner's office when countless other teams have been doing it for years and have reaped the benefits. Or, it could just be because the Wilpons are cheap.

The Mets overall approach to the draft has been dreadful for far too long.

Archived