Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

see thats my point.the jets will make mangold the highest paid player at his position,or really close too it.the jets are trying to make revis the highest paid player,only problem with that is,is tanny wants to make him the highest played "realistic contracted" player and revis beleives that the aso contract is "true"market value.the jets would be hurting themselves more by caving to revis and paying him what he thinks he deserves.that would almost guarntee that mangold or harris doent get their extention.revis is the best player on the jets and probably the best cb in the game today.but the twist is,he doesnt play the most important possition on the field.the jets are stacked elsewhere.many of teams have won the super bowls with out cb's of revis's ability.tanny has proven that he can pluck players out of the draft with real talent and production.his first 2 drafts ever,he plucked 2 players who are considered the best.do you think he cant or wont do it again?

To be fair to the convo Tanny also drafted Gholston. And though I still have faith in him, he's still a bust until proven otherwise. It just isnt that simple.

Dont get me wrong here, I read your opinion and I think its one of the more realistic possibilities that I've seen on this board. You can make Mangold the highest paid Center in the game, because it wont take 16 million a year to do so and he's also protecting the most valuable position on the field so it makes sense. And with the D'brick being a lock, which in many peoples eyes is the 2nd most important position, then you're on the right track.

However my problem is this. Sanchez isnt proven. He hasnt shown that "he" can will a win. Yes, its unfair to say that given that he's a rookie, but at the same time whats true is true. The bottomline is that SB aspirations are here and I dont think Revis is going to fall for the Chris Johnson "quick fix" contract. He's a two time holdout player for a reason (He's showed that he's as good a business man as a shut down corner. Cant hate him for it). Revis and his agent will know that if the Jets gave him a raise in pay just for this year that if they were to actually win a SB that his trade value would be through the roof. I dont think Revis issue is solely the money, I think Revis wants "geographical" security, which comes with securing these long term type contracts as well.

He wants to be a Jet, outside of being a fan I think that Revis is sincere about that...but this is business and he obviously understands that and thats what Jet fans are upset about, thats he's being a good business man and not a sucker and just taking less than what he provides in return. He's doing everything he can to get everything out of an organization that he can that will get everything out of him on the football field. Sanchez can say it in an interview all he wants, but until he proves it this isnt his team. This is Revis team and he goes out there everyday and proves it. He wants to be paid like it. Revis may not have the "most important" position on the field but he has in my eyes the 3rd most important, and when you can shut down the #1 target for another teams #1 important position (the QB) then you've just changed the dynamic to the point where you win games that maybe your offense couldnt have without it, hence our 2009 AFC championship run. Most people think that Revis is a product of Rex system, but if you read my sig even Rex knows that Revis is one of a kind. Revis is an ultra legit talent and he knows it and the Jets know it too.

Basically what im saying is, you dont trade Revis, you pay him.

you root for revis,i will root fo harris and mangold.rooting for revis is anti mangold/harris

No it isnt. Sometimes you have to keep the best talent, especially when that level of talent can get you very far in the playoffs because of it. Not taking away from Harris or Mangold, but their impact on the game wasnt as significant as Revis. Mangold in my eyes is staying. Harris, on the other hand if it came down to it I wouldnt be to sure about, which would hurt because outside of Ray Lewis and that freak out in San Fran I cant name a better MLB.

This is what im thinking though. Everyone talks about Leon Washington and this is Revis reasoning an all that. I dont think so. You know what I think Revis is looking at? How NE is treating Brady after Brady took less money to keep and to bring in talent. Now Brady is trying to get his last contract before retirement and NE isnt being overly receptive of it as they should imo.

Revis is a business man, and he knows that this is his money making opportunity. Fans get upset about him holding out and not honoring his contract, however, this is the league today and organizations take advantage much more than the players do but thats never discussed of course. Look at Andre Johnson for example, dude just signed ANOTHER contract after getting one 15 mins ago. The nature of the busines requires elite players to grind for their pay...and If people think rooting for Harris/Mangold is going to change the fact that Revis is the #1 reason why we even got to the playoffs and had an AFC championship appearance as well as SB aspirations right now then you're kidding yourself. Revis is the face of the Jets and of this city right now. He has leverage and all of the "MEvis" people out there would be sick to their stomach and cursing the Jets for years and years if they woke up tomorrow and heard that Revis was traded.

you root for revis,i will root fo harris and mangold.rooting for revis is anti mangold/harris

yeah I'm on the Harris/Mangold bus too. Revis wanting a penny more money than Aso is the most self-absorbed near-sighted thing Ive heard of in a long time. Harris and Mangold like being Jets, and they're going to work every day with their mouths closed. that should be rewarded.

To be fair to the convo Tanny also drafted Gholston. And though I still have faith in him, he's still a bust until proven otherwise. It just isnt that simple.

Dont get me wrong here, I read your opinion and I think its one of the more realistic possibilities that I've seen on this board. You can make Mangold the highest paid Center in the game, because it wont take 16 million a year to do so and he's also protecting the most valuable position on the field so it makes sense. And with the D'brick being a lock, which in many peoples eyes is the 2nd most important position, then you're on the right track.

However my problem is this. Sanchez isnt proven. He hasnt shown that "he" can will a win. Yes, its unfair to say that given that he's a rookie, but at the same time whats true is true. The bottomline is that SB aspirations are here and I dont think Revis is going to fall for the Chris Johnson "quick fix" contract. He's a two time holdout player for a reason (He's showed that he's as good a business man as a shut down corner. Cant hate him for it). Revis and his agent will know that if the Jets gave him a raise in pay just for this year that if they were to actually win a SB that his trade value would be through the roof. I dont think Revis issue is solely the money, I think Revis wants "geographical" security, which comes with securing these long term type contracts as well.

He wants to be a Jet, outside of being a fan I think that Revis is sincere about that...but this is business and he obviously understands that and thats what Jet fans are upset about, thats he's being a good business man and not a sucker and just taking less than what he provides in return. He's doing everything he can to get everything out of an organization that he can that will get everything out of him on the football field. Sanchez can say it in an interview all he wants, but until he proves it this isnt his team. This is Revis team and he goes out there everyday and proves it. He wants to be paid like it. Revis may not have the "most important" position on the field but he has in my eyes the 3rd most important, and when you can shut down the #1 target for another teams #1 important position (the QB) then you've just changed the dynamic to the point where you win games that maybe your offense couldnt have without it, hence our 2009 AFC championship run. Most people think that Revis is a product of Rex system, but if you read my sig even Rex knows that Revis is one of a kind. Revis is an ultra legit talent and he knows it and the Jets know it too.

Basically what im saying is, you dont trade Revis, you pay him.

i agree with most of your post.let me clarify.i am not anti-revis.i am not on the "mevis"bandwagon.not yet,anyways.at this point,he is going what he feels he needs to do.do i agree with the hold out?no.as of right now is he hurting the team.not yet.i also beleive that revis wants to remain a jet.the point of this post was to share what i beleive will happen.not what i want to happen.i would do back flips is tanny and revis agree to a fair deal for both sides locking him up long term.however,it is starting to look like that aint gonna happen.my guess is that tanny made all the long term propositions that he is gonna make.is he lowballing revis?we really dont know.is revis being greedy?that is a great possibility,but we have no facts.my educated guess is that revis will not see a long term extention.

anyways,i disagree with with who's team it is.your right.this aint sanchez's team.not yet.it aint revis's team,either.it is rex ryans team.plain and simple.i also know that revis is the real deal.but what lengths do you go before you draw the line.is revis worth 10m?sure.11m? sure.12m?pushing it,but some say yes.13m?i think you'll get a 50/50 split.14m? no phucking way.you pay the guy the first 3 suggestions.he is on his way out with 14m a year or better.his cost at that point becomes too detrimental for a team to be successful.never mind the precedence it sets with the team and the other 5 or 6 guys looking for new deals this/next year.

also,revis is the best player on the jets team and most would agree to that statement.i think he is.however,the best player is not always the most important player.here is an example.with a gun to your head,do you get rid of revis,the best player on your team or do you get rid of sanchez,arguably the worst player on the team?pretty simple when you think about it.

as of right now,revis aint hurting anybody.if he turns out that he does,you do not pay your best player.you get rid of the headache

yeah I'm on the Harris/Mangold bus too. Revis wanting a penny more money than Aso is the most self-absorbed near-sighted thing Ive heard of in a long time. Harris and Mangold like being Jets, and they're going to work every day with their mouths closed. that should be rewarded.

Is it really that serious? Its millionaires arguing with billionaires. Its not like they couldnt afford it or its impossible. You know how many football players spend their fortunes on medical after they retire? My point is that what Revis is providing in the long run is going to disbenefit him even if he made the money he's looking for...and the these healthy 70+ year old owners can give a rat's azz afterwards about those medical bills that comes with retirement of their former players because their too concerned about banging up their new players. Get off the high horse with the judgement. Its business and at the end of the day the Jets can just say no if its that serious with the asking price.

i agree with most of your post.let me clarify.i am not anti-revis.i am not on the "mevis"bandwagon.not yet,anyways.at this point,he is going what he feels he needs to do.do i agree with the hold out?no.as of right now is he hurting the team.not yet.i also beleive that revis wants to remain a jet.the point of this post was to share what i beleive will happen.not what i want to happen.i would do back flips is tanny and revis agree to a fair deal for both sides locking him up long term.however,it is starting to look like that aint gonna happen.my guess is that tanny made all the long term propositions that he is gonna make.is he lowballing revis?we really dont know.is revis being greedy?that is a great possibility,but we have no facts.my educated guess is that revis will not see a long term extention.

anyways,i disagree with with who's team it is.your right.this aint sanchez's team.not yet.it aint revis's team,either.it is rex ryans team.plain and simple.i also know that revis is the real deal.but what lengths do you go before you draw the line.is revis worth 10m?sure.11m? sure.12m?pushing it,but some say yes.13m?i think you'll get a 50/50 split.14m? no phucking way.you pay the guy the first 3 suggestions.he is on his way out with 14m a year or better.his cost at that point becomes too detrimental for a team to be successful.never mind the precedence it sets with the team and the other 5 or 6 guys looking for new deals this/next year.

also,revis is the best player on the jets team and most would agree to that statement.i think he is.however,the best player is not always the most important player.here is an example.with a gun to your head,do you get rid of revis,the best player on your team or do you get rid of sanchez,arguably the worst player on the team?pretty simple when you think about it.

as of right now,revis aint hurting anybody.if he turns out that he does,you do not pay your best player.you get rid of the headache

I think that if Revis is the best player on your team in comparison to the other player by the length that Revis is, as well as factoring in the talent of the team as a whole I think thats how you make your decision. There's no way im letting go of Revis when I can go out and sign a guy like McNabb or Bulger in the Summer. Sanchez would have to go. Now with me saying this im not factoring in any monies that would be lost with Sanchez just getting here etc. Im purely talking about me having a choice of Revis and Sanchez based on their impact on the team and the amount of talent on the team.

Now we dont know if Tanny is low balling, but I think that its unfair to then say that its "possible" that Revis is being greedy. It seems like Revis is only doing what every "best player at their position" does. And he's not asking for Millions more than the prior "biggest contract" at his position, he's asking for only 50cents more literally. So to assume that he's even possibly being greedy is less based on the fact that he could possibly be greedy and more on the fact that to us "thousandaires" 16million + 50cents a shyte load of money. But in the world of the NFL, he's looking for a 50cent raise from the current highest contract at his position (which is also fair). That seems pretty ungreedy to me given that perspective of things. Al Davis gave Aso a SHYTE load of money, but you know what? I never seen Nnamdi go out on the field and not earn it. Same thing with Revis. That IMO is the difference. Revis doesnt get into trouble, he's not a thug, and he's the ultra competitor that will even speak out towards the loud Bart Scott's of the world when he does something that hurts the team. I'll agree, the heart and soul of this team is Rex Ryan....hands down, however, the face of this team (player wise) is Darrelle Revis.

ylekram, I love you to def playa....but you pay Darrelle Revis his money. If the opposing team cant score, they cant win...plain and simple.

I'm starting to come around on revis

the andre johnson contract was a real eye opener. the texans have a lot of big time players, so If they can do it tanny can do it

I'm feeling like they should just pay him and get on with it already

before the draft,revis is placed on the trading blocks,with at least a minimum 1st and 2nd round draft picks for revis.the jets enter the 2011 draft with a full compliment of draft picks plus and an extra 1st and 2nd.possibly losing a 2nd with the cromartie trade.plus have all their players signed to extensions.at the same time,tanny will be seting the precedent.difficult players will not be tolerated.play nice and you will be rewarded.the jets will then do damage with their draft picks,supplying depth to the entire team,never having to draft for need again.

First -and this is very important- if you plan on doing more posting on this board, you really need to learn to hit the space bar after every punctuation. I like the all lower-case look, but you need some spaces in there, too. smile.gif

Second, if the Jets trade Revis for a #1 and #2 in the 2011 draft, it will go down in team history as one of the worst trades they've ever made. They will never get the value of Darrelle Revis back like that. They'd need to trade for a pro bowl defensive player - either a direct CB replacement, or maybe a pass rushing OLB - but they'd have to have a bird in the hand there. Tanny has done well drafting, but he's also picked up a couple clunkers (Gholston, Clemens), - it's an imperfect science.

My feeling continues to be that Aso's contract is Revis' negotiating stance, and that he'll report to camp if Tannenbaum offers him a fair (even critics say he's worth $12-14M/yr) contract. I'll believe he was literally holding out 50¢ more than Aso when he gets it (and, to further piss everyone here off, I'll congratulate him on a job well done! laugh.gif). It'll be even more interesting for me to see how all the Mevi$ h8ers react if/when he signs a long term deal more in line with what they believe he actually worth.

They are $20m under last year's cap without Mangold and Harris... that's assuming the owners don't get the reduction they are seeking.

Since you seem to be so certain that there are no cap concerns, what will the cap number be in 2011 (if there's a season)?

The owners aren't really seeking a reduction on the salary cap. That's their negotiating stance. The 18% reduction that you've heard about is a fabrication by the union to drum up support for the current leadership. In reality, it's pure bullsh*t.

What the owners are seeking is some sort of rookie wage scale, an increase in the regular season schedule to 17 or 18 games, and possibly adding international teams (as far away as London, where American football has a foothold). I'm sure they want other things, too, but they'll be holding that total compensation package over the players heads as a ploy to get what they really want.

The real problem for the owners is their own internal bickering between the small and large market teams. Jerry Jones squeezes every penny he can out of Cowboy fans and his new stadium, and feels that the little guys aren't doing enough. The little guys claim they can't do anymore. Jerry, Danny -and maybe even Woody- would be happy to spend more on players if it brought them more revenue in return.

In the end, while Bitonti or I don't know what the cap number will be in 2011, you can safely bet that the owners have a very good idea where that number's going to be. They're all hiding behind the future uncertainty colluding to not hand the players large chunks of cash prior to their lockout threat. But it's not a real uncertainty.

My feeling continues to be that Aso's contract is Revis' negotiating stance, and that he'll report to camp if Tannenbaum offers him a fair (even critics say he's worth $12-14M/yr) contract. I'll believe he was literally holding out 50¢ more than Aso when he gets it (and, to further piss everyone here off, I'll congratulate him on a job well done! laugh.gif). It'll be even more interesting for me to see how all the Mevi$ h8ers react if/when he signs a long term deal more in line with what they believe he actually worth.

By that logic, I will only beleive that Tanny has offered him a contract under is value, if the final agreement is under his value. Your position assumes that Revis can't change his mind or cave in.

If he signs a deal for less than Aso money its because he finally came to his senses and realized that he ain't getting it and that what Tanny has been offering along is fair.

By that logic, I will only beleive that Tanny has offered him a contract under is value, if the final agreement is under his value. Your position assumes that Revis can't change his mind or cave in.

If he signs a deal for less than Aso money its because he finally came to his senses and realized that he ain't getting it and that what Tanny has been offering along is fair.

My position is that it's been a negotiating stance all along, and that -using D'Brick's deal as an example- what Tanny has been offering hasn't been fair. The only year one number I've seen in print is D'Brick's $5.3M number - and it's said that the Jets have offered less than that. If they can come up with an eight figure bonus, I think he'll come to camp.

It's like the asking price on your house. You'd love to have someone step up and pay you that number, but it's really a starting point for negotiations. Best CB in the league asking for the richest CB contract? That's a smart negotiating stance. The same one I'd take if I were him, his agent, or his dad - and then I'd work from there to get the best deal I could.

I'm starting to think tanny needs to sign revis before brady gets 20 mill per and manning gets 22.5 million per

I think in return for a huge deal, revis needs to concede the length of the contract to what the jets want, I could live with that

The Nnamdi money was a point of negotiation. Revis is not going to say no to a 7 year contract avg 13-14 million w/guarantees.

My position is that it's been a negotiating stance all along, and that -using D'Brick's deal as an example- what Tanny has been offering hasn't been fair. The only year one number I've seen in print is D'Brick's $5.3M number - and it's said that the Jets have offered less than that. If they can come up with an eight figure bonus, I think he'll come to camp.

It's like the asking price on your house. You'd love to have someone step up and pay you that number, but it's really a starting point for negotiations. Best CB in the league asking for the richest CB contract? That's a smart negotiating stance. The same one I'd take if I were him, his agent, or his dad - and then I'd work from there to get the best deal I could.

i buy and sell old collectible toys for a living.i know the market for everything i am involved in.i run across a toy that i KNOW is very valuable and desireable.i ask the seller the price.his asking price is so high,that i dont bother to negotiate at all and the conversation is over.i KNOW there is no way to strike a deal.

revis's negotiating stance is aso money.a total abberation,to say the least.i remember when he got that deal,davis was the laughing stock of the nfl.the aso money is probably a starting point for revis.but the starting point is too high for tanny to comprehend.keep in mind,the real top salary for a cb is 10m per.many people say that 13 to 14m will do the trick.a 30 to 40% pay raise to a known holdout threat player who still has 3 years on his contract???doesnt make sense.people are putting way too much emphasis on the aso contract when it shouldnt even belong in the conversation.period.do you think when the raiders are done with aso his next contract will even sniff the abberation he once was paid??like i said before,unless revis excepts tanny's past offer,there will be no long term extention

First -and this is very important- if you plan on doing more posting on this board, you really need to learn to hit the space bar after every punctuation. I like the all lower-case look, but you need some spaces in there, too. smile.gif

Second, if the Jets trade Revis for a #1 and #2 in the 2011 draft, it will go down in team history as one of the worst trades they've ever made. They will never get the value of Darrelle Revis back like that. They'd need to trade for a pro bowl defensive player - either a direct CB replacement, or maybe a pass rushing OLB - but they'd have to have a bird in the hand there. Tanny has done well drafting, but he's also picked up a couple clunkers (Gholston, Clemens), - it's an imperfect science.

slats,i agree with you.my writing and typeing is not the best.and my spelling could use some work,too.but,my world still turns

while i agree with you about a trade,and that they wont ever be able to get true value,i ask you this.what kinda value does revis have sitting out the year?alot less than they would get with a trade

The owners aren't really seeking a reduction on the salary cap. That's their negotiating stance. The 18% reduction that you've heard about is a fabrication by the union to drum up support for the current leadership. In reality, it's pure bullsh*t.

What the owners are seeking is some sort of rookie wage scale, an increase in the regular season schedule to 17 or 18 games, and possibly adding international teams (as far away as London, where American football has a foothold). I'm sure they want other things, too, but they'll be holding that total compensation package over the players heads as a ploy to get what they really want.

The real problem for the owners is their own internal bickering between the small and large market teams. Jerry Jones squeezes every penny he can out of Cowboy fans and his new stadium, and feels that the little guys aren't doing enough. The little guys claim they can't do anymore. Jerry, Danny -and maybe even Woody- would be happy to spend more on players if it brought them more revenue in return.

In the end, while Bitonti or I don't know what the cap number will be in 2011, you can safely bet that the owners have a very good idea where that number's going to be. They're all hiding behind the future uncertainty colluding to not hand the players large chunks of cash prior to their lockout threat. But it's not a real uncertainty.

slats,i agree with you.my writing and typeing is not the best.and my spelling could use some work,too.but,my world still turns

while i agree with you about a trade,and that they wont ever be able to get true value,i ask you this.what kinda value does revis have sitting out the year?alot less than they would get with a trade

tannenbaum's a businessman. he's not vindictive (not "mad" lol). revis has to report on the 10th, which he will, and tannenbaum will meet revis in the middle with a new contract before the season starts. revis isn't a bad guy and we're in good hands with tanny, he won't give revis $16 million. its all under control.

i buy and sell old collectible toys for a living.i know the market for everything i am involved in.i run across a toy that i KNOW is very valuable and desireable.i ask the seller the price.his asking price is so high,that i dont bother to negotiate at all and the conversation is over.i KNOW there is no way to strike a deal.

what's the Super Bowl of toys? selling a GI Joe Aircraft Carrier?

tannenbaum's a businessman. he's not vindictive (not "mad" lol). revis has to report on the 10th, which he will, and tannenbaum will meet revis in the middle with a new contract before the season starts. revis isn't a bad guy and we're in good hands with tanny, he won't give revis $16 million. its all under control.

Revis has to report on the 10th or the negative consequences are so severe that he must be insane. We'll see what happens. My position is Revis has gone loco on us.

Revis has to report on the 10th or the negative consequences are so severe that he must be insane. We'll see what happens. My position is Revis has gone loco on us.

The August 10th date is almost meaningless. Revis isn't coming back without a new contract. Its not like it has ever been the Jets position that they expect Revis to play out his current contract.

I am willing to bet the new contract will run well beyond when Revis will eligible to be an unrestrict free agent with the year of service or not and the new contract will erase all fines incurred. So the deadline is meaningless.

what's the Super Bowl of toys? selling a GI Joe Aircraft Carrier?

i deal mostly with old diecast vehicles.a friend of mine paid 80k for a mattel hot wheels rear loader beach bomb(had the surf boards hanging out of the back window)this design did not work with the race tracks,specifically,it was not wide enough for the race track motor(the moter had the 2 sponge wheels that spun really fast propelling the car down the track)and was scrapped.the new version,which some of you 40 something guys probably remember having the side loader beach bomb,which had the surf boards mounted on the sides,making it wider to accomodate the race track motor.usually,you can pick up a rear loader beach bomb for 8k to 15k depending on color/condition.this particular rear loader was pink,which is a very desireable color and the only rear loader know to exist in this color

The August 10th date is almost meaningless. Revis isn't coming back without a new contract. Its not like it has ever been the Jets position that they expect Revis to play out his current contract.

I am willing to bet the new contract will run well beyond when Revis will eligible to be an unrestrict free agent with the year of service or not and the new contract will erase all fines incurred. So the deadline is meaningless.

If he holds out past the 10th he becomes Jet property for one more year. I think that is meaningful.

i deal mostly with old diecast vehicles.a friend of mine paid 80k for a mattel hot wheels rear loader beach bomb(had the surf boards hanging out of the back window)this design did not work with the race tracks,specifically,it was not wide enough for the race track motor(the moter had the 2 sponge wheels that spun really fast propelling the car down the track)and was scrapped.the new version,which some of you 40 something guys probably remember having the side loader beach bomb,which had the surf boards mounted on the sides,making it wider to accomodate the race track motor.usually,you can pick up a rear loader beach bomb for 8k to 15k depending on color/condition.this particular rear loader was pink,which is a very desireable color and the only rear loader know to exist in this color

Good luck putting a fish in that.

I agree.

The Jets might wait until after 8/10 to see just how serious he is, but after that the onus is on them. There's is no tenth week of the season to show up for Revis this year. On 8/11, he'll have no reason to show up unless he has a new contract.

I agree.

The Jets might wait until after 8/10 to see just how serious he is, but after that the onus is on them. There's is no tenth week of the season to show up for Revis this year. On 8/11, he'll have no reason to show up unless he has a new contract.

The onus is on the Jets? He doesn't show up, he isn't playing for anyone in the near future...no one wins in this scenario.

I agree.

The Jets might wait until after 8/10 to see just how serious he is, but after that the onus is on them.

The onus is on Revis. Jets have made three offers, a long term deal, a short term deal, and to sit down and discuess the situation. Until Revis accepts the third offer there won't be any change or movement on the first two.

There's is no tenth week of the season to show up for Revis this year. On 8/11, he'll have no reason to show up unless he has a new contract.

Totally pointless statement as the Jets have never held a position that they are expecting Revis to show up without a new contract. And do you think that if after 8/12 Revis did say he would play under his old contract, but on the stipulation that the fines be erased, the $20 million be guaranteed as if he had not held out and the Jets agreeing not to place a restrict agency tender on him at the expiration of the contract that Tanny would hesitate to those conditions? I don't think Revis would ever make that offer, but Tanny would agree to it, if it happened.

Even if he holds out for an entire year, he won't be playing under this contract. Might get traded as work out a new deal with a new team or come to terms with the Jets next off season.

The onus is on the Jets? He doesn't show up, he isn't playing for anyone in the near future...no one wins in this scenario.

In any other year, a player holding out could show up in week 10 and get full credit for the season. So a team playing hardball could put their "last offer" on the table at any time, and wait for the player to make sure he has that year of eligibility under his belt. That's how Crabtree's holdout finished up last year. That option flies out the window on 8/10 this year. So once Revis holds out beyond that date, there's no real reason for him to accept any offer that he doesn't find satisfactory this season. That's why I say the onus will be on the Jets to get it done. Once Revis gets past that date, he's demonstrating a clear willingness to sit out the year.

The onus is on Revis. Jets have made three offers, a long term deal, a short term deal, and to sit down and discuess the situation. Until Revis accepts the third offer there won't be any change or movement on the first two.

That's a nothing point, too. It's based on a statement from Tannenbaum that Team Revis never responded to. We don't know if it's true or false, or what else took place in those conversations.

What we do know is that Revis' camp has never closed the lines of communication. Both sides acknowledge this. Communication is wide open.

My guess is that Revis will be willing to sit down in person once the Jets say they're willing to offer real guarantees on the phone.

In any other year, a player holding out could show up in week 10 and get full credit for the season. So a team playing hardball could put their "last offer" on the table at any time, and wait for the player to make sure he has that year of eligibility under his belt. That's how Crabtree's holdout finished up last year. That option flies out the window on 8/10 this year. So once Revis holds out beyond that date, there's no real reason for him to accept any offer that he doesn't find satisfactory this season. That's why I say the onus will be on the Jets to get it done. Once Revis gets past that date, he's demonstrating a clear willingness to sit out the year.

The greatest similarity between Crabtree and Revis is the unreasonableness of the players contract stance. If the sticking point is a year towards FA, the Jets can always contract that in, even if Revis shows up week 17. The 49rs could not sign Crabtree after week 10.

If the sticking point is a year towards FA, the Jets can always contract that in, even if Revis shows up week 17. The 49rs could not sign Crabtree after week 10.

Right, but it's on the Jets to get that done.

Crabtree signed the deal that the '9ers had on the table for weeks (months?). Revis will be under no pressure to sign a deal he doesn't believe to be fair at any time because there is no artificial deadline. Once it gets past 8/10, Revis is showing a willingness to sit out the year. Under the previous rules, he might've shown up in week 10 for the balance of the $550K he had coming just to get that year in. There's no reason for him to do that this year.

I understand that. I'm just saying that if Revis takes the high road and decides to sit out the entire year, he's done. He won't be playing for another team for a long time and not only will he be out of football shape, his demands for big time money will take a huge hit. Revis could hang out there for what 3 more years (the Jets own 3 more years on the current contract) and who in their right mind is going to pay this guy the money he is looking for? Not the Aso money for sure.

Both the Jets and the Revis camp need to meet somewhere in the middle or both will come up on the short end.

Right, but it's on the Jets to get that done.

Crabtree signed the deal that the '9ers had on the table for weeks (months?). Revis will be under no pressure to sign a deal he doesn't believe to be fair at any time because there is no artificial deadline. Once it gets past 8/10, Revis is showing a willingness to sit out the year. Under the previous rules, he might've shown up in week 10 for the balance of the $550K he had coming just to get that year in. There's no reason for him to do that this year.

There is another deadline looming...9/13. I think both sides view that as the real deadline to get a deal done, not 8/10.

I understand that. I'm just saying that if Revis takes the high road and decides to sit out the entire year, he's done. He won't be playing for another team for a long time and not only will he be out of football shape, his demands for big time money will take a huge hit. Revis could hang out there for what 3 more years (the Jets own 3 more years on the current contract) and who in their right mind is going to pay this guy the money he is looking for? Not the Aso money for sure.

Both the Jets and the Revis camp need to meet somewhere in the middle or both will come up on the short end.

I completely agree with you that it's in the two sides' best interests to hammer out a deal ASAP.

Strongly disagree that if he decides to sit out the year, he's done. My feeling, and I'm sure it's been discussed internally between Revis and his agents, is that the Jets will have to sh*t or get off the pot by the time the 2011 draft rolls around (at the very latest), and either pay the man or trade him to a team that will. Holding his rights for spite does nothing to benefit the Jets - and really just prolongs a PR nightmare. They will need to either get him on the field, or get value for him back in a trade. He may not get his $15.101M, but he'll be paid handsomely with an actual signing bonus. One of the other 31 teams in the league will certainly take that chance on Darrelle Revis. And all he would've really lost is this one (relatively) low year's pay.

Archived