Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

it's very very very good that they are exchanging formal written proposals

I think this could mean he's in before the third pre-season game, which would be very good

Thats probably an accurate timeline. Im also glad that Revis has stopped using the media as an aid in these negotiations, and isn't pulling a scam like he did in OTA's where he took plays off on the field... Rex told him if he's unhappy and needs to sit out, then sit out..Dont be there just to be there and tank it.

Although its annoying that he is holding out with such an important year for the franchise coming up, at least he is letting his agents do all the negotiating behind closed doors.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even Lowery realizes he sucks.

Wilson's far more athletic and suitable to play outside at the CB position...Lowery OTOH has the skillset and size of a really good NB/S in the mold of Hank Poteat...there's absolutely nothing wrong with that and even less with a guy who knows what he can and can't do for his team.

The RWB above me got it right too.

Wilson's far more athletic and suitable to play outside at the CB position...Lowery OTOH has the skillset and size of a really good NB/S in the mold of Hank Poteat...there's absolutely nothing wrong with that and even less with a guy who knows what he can and can't do for his team.

The RWB above me got it right too.

Lowery can't play NB. Safety I think he'd have a realistic chance at.

Lowery can't play NB. Safety I think he'd have a realistic chance at.

I think he'll do alright at NB. What doesn't he have? He'll be our 4th DB this year, but I think the average team would love him as a NB/3rd CB/S option. I think he's got a really nice future with us...probably at S but S in the mold of Antrel Rolle...a S who plays CB and NB at times too.

I think he'll do alright at NB. What doesn't he have?

You really think he's quick enough to cover one? His ball skills are good (future JN mod material) but he needs to give too much of a cushion. A decent slot receiver will get open every time on him. He could cover bad ones or slow ones I guess. I just picture someone doing quick slants on him all day and he'd always be a yard behind the receiver's back. There's a little more to covering an opponent's quick, slot receiver type than just being the defense's 3rd or 4th-best CB (unless said defense is using him there out of sheer desperation).

As a safety, where he won't have to worry about getting juked in man coverage, he might do very well and would probably pick off a good amount if he was starting.

it's very very very good that they are exchanging formal written proposals

I think this could mean he's in before the third pre-season game, which would be very good

Reports saying optimism from last week has faded, and its not likely he signs before season starts - Woody Johnson Per Jenny Vrentras twitter...

She also reported that the Revis' agents deal had not changed from their original demands...

Jets just shiit on Revis camp latest offer:

Woody Johnson Not Optimistic About Revis Situation

BY LISA ZIMMERMAN ON 09. AUG, 2010

CORTLAND–Woody Johnson spoke to the media after today’s afternoon practice to address the situation with Darrelle Revis. Johnson, who was filled in on the three-hour meeting that GM Mike Tannenbaum had with Revis’ agents on Friday, was asked if he was still optimistic about getting a deal done before the season starts. His response was a simple and emphatic, “No.”

Tannenbaum added, “My impression is no progress. Nothing new and different.”

The bottom line, “Fundamentally there really hasn’t been a change,” Tannenbaum said. “We still have fundamental differences of opinion on what the appropriate compensation should be. When there’s an appropriate deal to be made, I have no idea.”

An added element of this saga is that any player who has not reported to training camp by midnight tomorrow (August 10th) will lose an entire accrued season, regardless if he plays after that. This could ultimately affect Revis’ free agent status down the line.

We don't win a SB without him..

Not that we were with him, but he makes our defense go.

Poop. Rex makes our defense go.

SMC has it right. You of all people, a Qb guy, should know that. If Mark steps it up, we can be SB champs without Revis. He's surrounded by weapons. Those Steelers teams with a young Big Ben, who I think we resemble...a lot. Never had a corner like Revis. This team has plenty of talent without Revis to win a SB. Plenty.

An obvious tactic. The Jets have no other choice than to treat it as such.

In any event, IJ joked about hoping that Sanchez is the messiah, but he truly is the single player who will have the greatest impact on where the Jets win the SB.

So I disagree with CTM's assertion that the Jets don't win a SB without Revis. Revis is ultimately irrelevant. Teams have won championships without a Revis type player.

And Rex isn't an idiot. If Revis isn't here he'll alter the defense accordingly. Rex adjusts well.

He doesnt even need to be the Messiah. He just needs to add 5 more TD's and a lot less INT's. He should be able to do that with this team.

There is no other way to take that. It seems like Lowery will make a good coach some day. Not sure that as a player he is still over what went down in the RCA Dome last year.

I love Rex's daily press conferences over at the team site, and in today's Ryan explained it very differently than it has been reported on Twitter and here in this Cimini story. Lowery went to Dennis Thurman and told him that Kyle Wilson needs the reps at CB and Ryan said that Lowery has so many other roles, CB, nickle, dime and even some safety reps. Rex went on to praise Lowery for being selfless and a team guy. I think what is happening in Cortland is the Jets players all are starting to come to grips with the fact that there will BE no Darrelle Revis playing and that they have to move on.

You see this is the other side of it to my eye, Revis they (the players, coaches) all say has to "do what he needs to do for his family". Well the other side of that coin is that his selfishness could be costing a whole organization money and glory...it's not just about Mevis-I'm just going to pretend like he tore an ACL or something and we have to move on without him now. Go Kyle Wilson, go Lowery, and go Antonio Cromartie. Darrelle I hope your rehab goes well and we'll maybe see you next year. Maybe...

No, it's not time to think about trading Revis.

And it's patently idiotic to think of trading Revis at this juncture.

Seriously. Isn't the goal to win a SB this year and after?

How in the **** is a 2011 1st round pick or picks going to help the Jets win a SB in 2010?

How in 2011? Or 2012?

It's ridiculous, plain and simple. An All Pro player helps the Jets win a SB not an anonymous 1st rounder that has a less than 50% chance to be a JAG, let alone an All Pro player.

Cromartie/Wilson is better than Revis/Sheppard or Revis/Slowery. The Jets will be okay.

Agreed. And I wouldnt be surprised if we found added another CB if this does happen.

Ty Law.

lol

I love Rex's daily press conferences over at the team site, and in today's Ryan explained it very differently than it has been reported on Twitter and here in this Cimini story. Lowery went to Dennis Thurman and told him that Kyle Wilson needs the reps at CB and Ryan said that Lowery has so many other roles, CB, nickle, dime and even some safety reps. Rex went on to praise Lowery for being selfless and a team guy. I think what is happening in Cortland is the Jets players all are starting to come to grips with the fact that there will BE no Darrelle Revis playing and that they have to move on.

You see this is the other side of it to my eye, Revis they (the players, coaches) all say has to "do what he needs to do for his family". Well the other side of that coin is that his selfishness could be costing a whole organization money and glory...it's not just about Mevis-I'm just going to pretend like he tore an ACL or something and we have to move on without him now. Go Kyle Wilson, go Lowery, and go Antonio Cromartie. Darrelle I hope your rehab goes well and we'll maybe see you next year. Maybe...

Probably right. And its a real shame that Mevi$ has to be the one thing ruining what should be preparing for a SB run. Damn shame.

How in the **** is a 2011 1st round pick or picks going to help the Jets win a SB in 2010?

How in 2011? Or 2012?

It's ridiculous, plain and simple. An All Pro player helps the Jets win a SB not an anonymous 1st rounder that has a less than 50% chance to be a JAG, let alone an All Pro player.

You've said this before and I agreed, but if Tanny isnt just posturing and really says there are "fundamental" differences in negotiations. I think the Jets might be pressed to trade him. If Mevi$ is "dug in" and not going to budge. Then why just let him waste? Get something for him.

Get him signed or let him rot away.

The pissed off side of me wants this.

How in 2011? Or 2012?

that's the rub isn't it ? GM's will low ball the jets when it becomes the "right juncture" to trade him, and if he's going to hold out for a year, how does his absence help the jets win a SB ?

don't forget he is holding out 4 years into a 6 year deal, not being locked out

if I thought the jets could get a few starters in return plus 3 or more picks I'd trade him today. remember what herscel walker did for dallas ? Yes, I know revis is in his prime and HW was not but the point is if you can turn one player into many that CAN help you win SB's, and walker wasn't holding out, he already had a big deal.

think about the impact of a 16 million dollar deal. the current cap number for the top 5 contracts is about 9.5 million or so. even a 6 year extension will be a bad deal for the jets every single one of those years. he'd still retire the highest paid DB !!! normally when you do a "highest paid player ever" contract it gets trumped the very next year or at the most two years later

not with revis

it would take years to top that contract, and cost the jets at least harris and either holmes or edwards

I just don't think the jets can trade him, cuz no one is going to look at a DB and think he's worth 3 picks, 2 starters for this year ( DE and CB would do it for me) and a ridiculous contract, and anything less than 5 for 1 and the jets look like they got fleeced

so that's why the jets are where they are. they won't do the aso deal, and they can't trade him.

so as fans we are left to hoping revis will take less than aso money after publicly stating that's what he's after

I'm so sick of this roller coaster, I wanted to pay him his money two days ago.....

why let him rot away when we could maybe get a 2011 1st and 2nd rounder plus a 2012 2nd rounder? What good is it to leave that money on the floor when we could upgrade this team?

agreed. in priciple it sounds good to let him sit, but doesn't help us. I say to try and sign him for as long as you can. If not, trade him for as much as you can get. I was thinking maybe the cowboys for ware.

Archived