Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

There is another deadline looming...9/13. I think both sides view that as the real deadline to get a deal done, not 8/10.

I hope so!

Revis camp could definitely be willing to let the Jets open their new stadium against the Ravens, Flacco, and Boldin without him and see what happens. That could be the point where they truly realize how important he really is to their defense team.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I completely agree with you that it's in the two sides' best interests to hammer out a deal ASAP.

Strongly disagree that if he decides to sit out the year, he's done. My feeling, and I'm sure it's been discussed internally between Revis and his agents, is that the Jets will have to sh*t or get off the pot by the time the 2011 draft rolls around (at the very latest), and either pay the man or trade him to a team that will. Holding his rights for spite does nothing to benefit the Jets - and really just prolongs a PR nightmare. They will need to either get him on the field, or get value for him back in a trade. He may not get his $15.101M, but he'll be paid handsomely with an actual signing bonus. One of the other 31 teams in the league will certainly take that chance on Darrelle Revis. And all he would've really lost is this one (relatively) low year's pay.

So, what if the Jets decide to franchise him next year then?

So, what if the Jets decide to franchise him next year then?

They can't. They'll still have him under contract for $550K, and Revis won't play for that.

edit: The franchise tag number for a CB this year is $9.566M. If the Jets offered that in a bonus right now, I think Revis would be in camp.

They can't. They'll still have him under contract for $550K, and Revis won't play for that.

edit: The franchise tag number for a CB this year is $9.566M. If the Jets offered that in a bonus right now, I think Revis would be in camp.

Sounds like the Jets would be more than willing to do $9.566M bonus this year plus $550K salary as long as in came with $10M per year salary thereafter for 8 or 9 years.

A one year $9.566M deal makes no sense for the Jets.

Sounds like the Jets would be more than willing to do $9.566M bonus this year plus $550K salary as long as in came with $10M per year salary thereafter for 8 or 9 years.

A one year $9.566M deal makes no sense for the Jets.

Find me some evidence of that! Warning: it won't be easy. D'Brick is getting $5.3M this year, and word is that Revis has so far been offered less.

I completely agree with you that it's in the two sides' best interests to hammer out a deal ASAP.

Strongly disagree that if he decides to sit out the year, he's done. My feeling, and I'm sure it's been discussed internally between Revis and his agents, is that the Jets will have to sh*t or get off the pot by the time the 2011 draft rolls around (at the very latest), and either pay the man or trade him to a team that will. Holding his rights for spite does nothing to benefit the Jets - and really just prolongs a PR nightmare. They will need to either get him on the field, or get value for him back in a trade. He may not get his $15.101M, but he'll be paid handsomely with an actual signing bonus. One of the other 31 teams in the league will certainly take that chance on Darrelle Revis. And all he would've really lost is this one (relatively) low year's pay.

i wouldnt go as fas as saying he is done after holding out the season.but he will become damaged goods.if revis holds out the entire year,the jets and revis will lose out.the value will just not be there.a team thats trades for revis will be taking a "chance" for many reasons.they might be willing to take that chance,but not for top drafts picks and not for 15m.revis would be lucky to receive what the jets probably and currently have on the table now.both side realize that is not a good situation to be in.there will be no long terms extention.under that expectation,the only reasonable solution for both sides is the bandaide.thus,getting revis into camp benefiting the jets super bowl run,and benefiting revis,who will be setting himself up nicely for next year

that truly depends of which "WORD" YOU BELEIVE

The Jets have been more than happy to let the 10 years/$100M numbers leak, but I have yet to hear them say they've offered Revis anything in the first year of the deal. What have you heard on that front? So far, all I have to go on is the newspaper reports I've read.

he will become damaged goods.if revis holds out the entire year,the jets and revis will lose out.the value will just not be there.a team thats trades for revis will be taking a "chance" for many reasons.they might be willing to take that chance,but not for top drafts picks and not for 15m.revis would be lucky to receive what the jets probably and currently have on the table now.

He's not damaged goods, and he won't be. People are trying to vilify the man for holding out, going so far as to say that what he's doing is "illegal," but the bottom line is that he's still an elite performer at a critical position who's never had a single off-field issue. He's not a risk now, and he won't be one in the future.

That doesn't mean that the next contract he signs shouldn't be structured in a way that discourages him from holding out again too soon. But if your biggest risk with the player is that he's going to continue performing at an elite level and want to be paid accordingly, you live with that risk.

That's a nothing point, too. It's based on a statement from Tannenbaum that Team Revis never responded to. We don't know if it's true or false, or what else took place in those conversations.

What we do know is that Revis' camp has never closed the lines of communication. Both sides acknowledge this. Communication is wide open.

My guess is that Revis will be willing to sit down in person once the Jets say they're willing to offer real guarantees on the phone.

I hear ya slats, but my experience viewing contract negotiations, is that since Team Revis DIDNT respond, its likely true what jets have leaked.

not sayin its 100% true, but just my experience.

The Jets have been more than happy to let the 10 years/$100M numbers leak, but I have yet to hear them say they've offered Revis anything in the first year of the deal. What have you heard on that front? So far, all I have to go on is the newspaper reports I've read.

He's not damaged goods, and he won't be. People are trying to vilify the man for holding out, going so far as to say that what he's doing is "illegal," but the bottom line is that he's still an elite performer at a critical position who's never had a single off-field issue. He's not a risk now, and he won't be one in the future.

That doesn't mean that the next contract he signs shouldn't be structured in a way that discourages him from holding out again too soon. But if your biggest risk with the player is that he's going to continue performing at an elite level and want to be paid accordingly, you live with that risk.

i am certainly not vilifying the man.but if he held out the entire year,he absolutely,without a doubt,is damaged goods.the extent of the damage is debateable,but he will be damaged goods.a year long holdout from a player who has 3 years on his contract??you need to look no further than revis's uncle,once a pretty good player in his own respect,turned into the worst signing and trade of the frachises history.do you think that the othe 31 teams do not remeber this?

also,the revis camp has been more than happy to report that the jets offer was "insulting"

i deal mostly with old diecast vehicles.a friend of mine paid 80k for a mattel hot wheels rear loader beach bomb(had the surf boards hanging out of the back window)this design did not work with the race tracks,specifically,it was not wide enough for the race track motor(the moter had the 2 sponge wheels that spun really fast propelling the car down the track)and was scrapped.the new version,which some of you 40 something guys probably remember having the side loader beach bomb,which had the surf boards mounted on the sides,making it wider to accomodate the race track motor.usually,you can pick up a rear loader beach bomb for 8k to 15k depending on color/condition.this particular rear loader was pink,which is a very desireable color and the only rear loader know to exist in this color

ok well getting Revis signed for 2010 is the mattel hot wheels rear loader beach bomb in pink. you don't know when there will be another one around, the Jets don't know when the next time they will be this close to a super bowl. And winning a super bowl cures alot of financial ills.

Signing revis for big money isn't dumb. Giving 10 mil to a cock texter QB who doesn't know is plays is dumb. they gotta get 2010 up and running with Revis, whatever the cost... the future be damned. they haven't been this close to a bowl since when? 1999? 1969?

ok well getting Revis signed for 2010 is the mattel hot wheels rear loader beach bomb in pink. you don't know when there will be another one around, the Jets don't know when the next time they will be this close to a super bowl. And winning a super bowl cures alot of financial ills.

Signing revis for big money isn't dumb. Giving 10 mil to a cock texter QB who doesn't know is plays is dumb. they gotta get 2010 up and running with Revis, whatever the cost... the future be damned. they haven't been this close to a bowl since when? 1999? 1969?

while i can understand this anology,there is more to the story.yes,other collectors would kill to have this car for reasons that you stated,but it wasnt within their budgeted guidlines.the guy who purchased this car is so rich,that he has no such guidelines(unlike the nfl that does have guidlines)he is woody johnson rich.his family is responsible for creating the software that literally runs wall street.

signing revis to a long term contract,which will pay him aso money,is dumb.it puts a major restraint on what they can do contractual wise with the other 52 players.like you said,with the much anticipated season coming up,with an uncapped year,you pay revis whatever it takes to get him into camp THIS YEAR.worry about next year,next year.and keep your options open

If he sits out the season then next year - if there is a season - will be a repeat of this offseason. He will be under contract for $1M in 2011 with a Jets option for 2012 (and then effectively another separate Jets option for 2013 since buying back the 2 years no longer guarantees both years).

If he sits out the season and the players stage a walkout in 2011 and return to play in 2012 (however likely or unlikely) then Revis will get:

2010: zero

2011: zero

2012: $1M

2013: Jets option for $5M

2014: Jets option for $15M

He doesn't lose the Jets buyback. He loses the guarantee of the Jets keeping him for both years of it - particularly that 2nd buyback year at $15M - if the Jets exercise the buyback option. Technically, now that he held out even this much, the Jets could buy back the 2 years after the 2010 season but cut him after the 2011 season with no requirement to pay him anything further and no negative cap implications (assuming there is a cap). That's what he lost. Barring injury the Jets would definitely buy back the 2 years but if he gets injured in the first year of the buy-back, they aren't going to pay him $15M for year 2 and could just cut him. Revis could then be a badly - or permanently - injured player with an additional $6M (pre-tax) instead of $21M. Quite a difference.

What Revis is trying to avoid - understandable enough, as distasteful as it may seem since he did sign the contract with these terms - is the potential for playing this year for $1M and then suffer a career-ending injury.

At least that's as I understand it.

This is not correct. If you sit out a season, you don't push your contract off by a year. You simply don't get paid (and get fined) for the year you sat out through. His 2010 contract won't shift into 2011 and then 2012. Same way guys who are under contract in 2011 won't have that year pushed into 2012 if there's no football in 2011.

This is not correct. If you sit out a season, you don't push your contract off by a year. You simply don't get paid (and get fined) for the year you sat out through. His 2010 contract won't shift into 2011 and then 2012. Same way guys who are under contract in 2011 won't have that year pushed into 2012 if there's no football in 2011.

Yeah I realized that afterwards but wasn't going to re-bump my own wrong post.

This is typical NY Jets football.

We have the best chance to win the SB in over 40 years and our best player decides to be selfish and hold out even though he has THREE years left on his contract.

Revis could very well be the difference between a championship or another disappointing season.

I want the Jets to hold firm and let this bastard sit out for three years and then franchise him the next 2 years, if he doesn't report.

I hope that he never plays another NFL game if he sits out this season.

Jets prepare to play minus Darrelle RevisEmail Print Comments121 By Rich Cimini

ESPNNewYork.com

Archive

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- The New York Jets are preparing for the possibility of life without All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis.

"We're going to prepare like he's not going to be here," coach Rex Ryan said Monday after the morning practice. "If he comes through the door, that's fine. Somebody will kiss him on the lips, probably. But the guys that are here, those are the guys we're getting ready for the season."

It was the first time that Ryan acknowledged the possibility of an extended absence by Revis, whose holdout has reached nine days. The two sides are trying to negotiate a new contract for Revis, who has three years remaining on his current deal, but they appear far apart.

Tuesday could be a key day in the stalemate. By rule, if a holdout doesn't report by Aug. 10, he doesn't get credit for 2010 as an accrued season. Basically, that means the player has to wait another year before he qualifies for free agency.

That might cause some players to re-consider their stance, but the Aug. 10 deadline will have no bearing on Revis' thinking, according to sources close to the Jets' star. As one source said, "He's dug in."

Jets blog

Looking for more information on the green-and-white? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

A week ago, Ryan said Revis would be in the starting lineup even if he didn't show up until the eve of the regular-season opener. But he backed off on that, saying he was talking "facetiously."

As a contingency plan, the Jets have tweaked their secondary, moving former San Diego Charger Antonio Cromartie to Revis' spot (left cornerback) and opening up the right-corner position to other candidates.

First-round draft pick Kyle Wilson, projected as the nickel back, is working with the first-team defense. He replaced Dwight Lowery, who, oddly enough, told the coaching staff that Wilson deserved to be in the starter's role.

In other news, outside linebacker Jason Taylor left practice with what Ryan described as a "slight" groin pull. Wide receiver Braylon Edwards (sore knee) also was limited. Wide receiver David Clowney returned to camp after missing the weekend due to personal reasons.

According to Mehta's Twitter, Feinsod (one of Revis's agents) and Tannenbaum met at a diner in Roscoe, NY last Friday. HBO requested to film parts of the meeting but Feinsod refused saying Revis was adamant that Hard Knocks stay away from him and his agents while this contract dispute is still ongoing. Says Revis does not want to be any more of a distraction to the team than he already is due to his holdout.

Mehta is reporting that Feinsod submitted an offer to Tanny during that meeting and Friday, and is expecting to hear back from him and Woody Johnson once both have reviewed the proposal.

-----

My guess is that this is still a week or two away from being resolved...But this offer from the Revis party should get the ball rolling in terms of real negotiations...

According to Mehta's Twitter, Feinsod (one of Revis's agents) and Tannenbaum met at a diner in Roscoe, NY last Friday. HBO requested to film parts of the meeting but Feinsod refused saying Revis was adamant that Hard Knocks stay away from him and his agents while this contract dispute is still ongoing. Says Revis does not want to be any more of a distraction to the team than he already is due to his holdout.

Mehta is reporting that Feinsod submitted an offer to Tanny during that meeting and Friday, and is expecting to hear back from him and Woody Johnson once both have reviewed the proposal.

-----

My guess is that this is still a week or two away from being resolved...But this offer from the Revis party should get the ball rolling in terms of real negotiations...

although i belive a long tem extention agreement wont be reached,this is obviously good news

Weird. The Jets are willing to play the season without Mevi$? Very bold of the New York Jets. Very bold indeed.

We don't win a SB without him..

Not that we were with him, but he makes our defense go..

An obvious tactic. The Jets have no other choice than to treat it as such.

In any event, IJ joked about hoping that Sanchez is the messiah, but he truly is the single player who will have the greatest impact on where the Jets win the SB.

So I disagree with CTM's assertion that the Jets don't win a SB without Revis. Revis is ultimately irrelevant. Teams have won championships without a Revis type player.

And Rex isn't an idiot. If Revis isn't here he'll alter the defense accordingly. Rex adjusts well.

An obvious tactic. The Jets have no other choice than to treat it as such.

In any event, IJ joked about hoping that Sanchez is the messiah, but he truly is the single player who will have the greatest impact on where the Jets win the SB.

So I disagree with CTM's assertion that the Jets don't win a SB without Revis. Revis is ultimately irrelevant. Teams have won championships without a Revis type player.

And Rex isn't an idiot. If Revis isn't here he'll alter the defense accordingly. Rex adjusts well.

Revis is certainly not "Irrelevant". He's not the most important factor so top speak, but he's our best player. Teams have won SB's without a Revis, how many have won them withot their best player.

As for the Sanchez comment. It was a slight joke, but if he turns into the player we were hoping for when we drafted him, then we'd have easily one of the top offenses in the league. Can't see that happening anytime soon (Even though I do like Sanchez) so I do believe that for this season, we will need Revis to make a SB run.

Even Lowery realizes he sucks.

There is no other way to take that. It seems like Lowery will make a good coach some day. Not sure that as a player he is still over what went down in the RCA Dome last year.

Archived