Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

I just thought of something else from that article that leads me to think Team Fat Gilbert is lying----

They don't deny the Jets offering the $120 million/ten year deal, so we know that is legit.

They say that their isn't "one penny of guaranteed money" in either (we don't have the specifics on the other one) proposal.

Myers states that the Jets say there is $25 to $30 million guaranteed in the contract.

Here's where Team Fat Gilbert screws up with their story----

Team Fat Gilbert says this isn't about structuring the Jets offer, it's about total compensation.

Wait a second, if the hold up is on total compensation, why go out of your way to call Woody a liar in public concerning the guaranteed money?

Team Fat Gilbert just showed everybody at the card table their hand.

Team Fat Gilbert is lying about everything.

Let's face the facts here, there isn't much difference between a $120 million and $160 million dollar contract, since most NFL contracts are backloaded and very rarely does a player/team fulfill the obligations of the lifespan of the contract.

This is all about the guaranteed money, right?

So what harm would there be for Team Fat Gilbert to counter Woody's proposal? None. None at all. And the ball would be in Woody's court right now.

I have no doubt Woody is telling the truth about the $25 million guaranteed money. Team Fat Gilbert is lying and saying that it isn't true because they actually want more than that.

Team Fat Gilbert is lying.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10 years/ $120M sounds like a lit of money -because it is- but is it really a great contract for Revis?

Average "very good" CB money in 2010 is in the $10M/year range, and Revis is better than very good. Aso is making Crazy Al money, but Charles Woodson is making $13.5M this season.

Ten years from now -sh*t, probably 4, 5 years from now- that $12M a year isn't going to look nearly as good, Even the ridiculous, bullsh*t, greedy 10yr/ $160M contract will probably be looking pretty reasonable by 2018.

Jets need to come up with an offer with a real 8-figure signing bonus, and get closer to Revis' "total compensation" with some bloated years/bonuses on the back end of the deal - year's they'll be free to cut if they feel like it. They're the ones who can get this done.

so now we have an argument stating that 10 years 120 million isn't really that good of a contract for revis. jeez. give me a ******* break.

Don't know who is lying or who is tellin g the truth, and kinda don't care. Both sides are basically talking about the other's greed, real or imagined. Suspect both parties have some blame. But the media circus is getting fed by all this public and press nonsense by both sides, and it's not helpful. Instead of talking to the press, talk to each opther in private.

lol...who exactly is the narcissist here? i read the article. the stance is that revis makes the superbowl or bust a reality and that without revis it's just plain bust. that's narcissism if i ever saw it.

I just think it's pretty unprofessional to use such words as narcissism especially in situations like this when your dealing with so much money. Sad really, its boiled down to name calling now. what a cluster f*ck.

I have no doubt Woody is telling the truth about the $25 million guaranteed money. Team Fat Gilbert is lying and saying this is about total compensation then why call Woody a liar? Just offer a counter proposal that specifically requires $25 million in guaranteed money. If Woody doesn't agree to it, then you prove he's a liar.

And if he does agree to it, then you say "OK we agree on the guaranteed money, now lets renagotiate the total compensation".

But see Team Fat Gilbert can't do that, because then everybody would see just how greedy and dishonest they have been throughout this entire process.

It's not complicated---

Team Fat Gilbert can't say $25 million is not enough (which is really what they think) so they just say Woody is lying about it.

I don't trust either side. I am sick of it all. We should be enojoying the excitement of the most talented jets team since SBIII, and this just has me depressed because I just know it is not going to end well. This team truly is cursed.

Don't know who is lying or who is tellin g the truth, and kinda don't care. Both sides are basically talking about the other's greed, real or imagined. Suspect both parties have some blame. But the media circus is getting fed by all this public and press nonsense by both sides, and it's not helpful. Instead of talking to the press, talk to each opther in private.

BAM! +1

The original article contradicts itself. At one point he says:

Either way, the Jets (in theory) control Revis' rights through 2012; the only question is at what cost. If Revis exercises his buyback, the Jets cannot Franchise him.

But then says the Jets can franchise him in 2012, presumably after Revis has exercised his buyout:

If Revis is a restricted free agent, the Jets will be able to retain his rights in 2011 without exercising the buy back, simply by making him a tender offer (they'd tender him at the 1st and 3rd round pick level). They could then let the market set Revis' contract price, and either match (if they found it reasonable) or let him walk for the compensation. If Revis signed a one-year deal with the team for 2011, they could franchise tag him in 2012.

Am I missing something?

I hope a year long holdout doesn't happen, but it sounds to me like if it does that Revis will either be entertaining RFA offers next year, or be under contract to the Jets for 2 years/ $20M - which is about what they're rumored to be offering long term, anyway.

Agree with Sperm that the RFA nightmare would be a team with a late pick swooping in. Jets aren't getting fair compensation back in a trade if they get to negotiate the terms They'll get clobbered in that scenario.

I don't trust either side. I am sick of it all. We should be enojoying the excitement of the most talented jets team since SBIII, and this just has me depressed because I just know it is not going to end well. This team truly is cursed.

Agreed. Revis not showing up to camp either way shows me his priorities are different from Mangold's. I like the players who care more about their team then a player who cares about the difference between millions and tens of millions of $$.

I agree.

My feeling is that the Jets are the ones doing a lot more negotiating in the press than Revis' camp, which has me more upset with them. They're leaking these offers, Woody Johnson saying he doesn't think Revis will be a Jet this year - some BS coming from the Jets FO, IMO, and it's all counter-productive.

Except that they're trying to control the message. And judging by a lot of fans' reactions, they seem to be doing a pretty good job of that, anyway.

All of the stuff from Revis' people has been in response to the Jets statements, otherwise they've been quiet. They seem to be trying to do things the right way.

Both sides are basically talking about the other's greed, real or imagined.

I don't see it as an argument over greed, I see it as negotiating a contract in good faith. I've seen nothing that would suggest the Jets are not acting in good faith. First of all, the Jets don't have to do anything. The fact that they even opened up a dialogue with Team Fat Gilbert is an act of good faith.

On the other hand, I've seen plenty to suggest Team Fat Gilbert is not acting in good faith.

Gary Myers states the Jets say their offer INCLUDES AT LEAST $25 MILLION IN GUARANTEED MONEY.

Why would the Jets lie about that?

Now ask yourself why would Team Fat Gilbert call them liars about that?

My conclusion is the $25 million guaranteed isn't enough, but Team Fat Gilbert can't go public with that so they just say their was no offer.

OK, so the question Gary Myers should have asked was "well what was the amount you were looking for?" Which I'm sure he did ask but Team Fat Gilbert obfuscates it by saying some BS this is about total compensation.

Believe me, I got no love for Woody the price gouger Johnson, but revis is a scumbag.

I agree.

My feeling is that the Jets are the ones doing a lot more negotiating in the press than Revis' camp, which has me more upset with them. They're leaking these offers, Woody Johnson saying he doesn't think Revis will be a Jet this year - some BS coming from the Jets FO, IMO, and it's all counter-productive.

Except that they're trying to control the message. And judging by a lot of fans' reactions, they seem to be doing a pretty good job of that, anyway.

All of the stuff from Revis' people has been in response to the Jets statements, otherwise they've been quiet. They seem to be trying to do things the right way.

Really???

I agree.

I can't be entirely mad the FO for leaking info about what deals were supposedly offered. Because the public is going to want to know anyways. The longer Revis holds out the more antsy the public and the reporters are going to be and they'll ask any questions to get the information they want as to why the deal is still being held up.

Control the message? The FO can say whatever they want however but as soon as the reporters get it, they can twist it whatever way they want. I don't think the jets FO has all that much control on the message. If their lying about certain proposed deals, I'm sure the public will find out. Eventually it will all come out.

I don't think either side is handling this the best they can. And the fact that Revis' agent wrote some of the stuff he did on his website makes him look that much more childish.

Michael Kay actually said he thought Woody did a great job and answered a lot of questions most owners wouldn't have.

And directly after, Kay and La Grecca changed there tune and began favoring the Jets side more. But yeah, whatever you say. Woody embarrassed himself. Don't you realize that by doing this the Jets will get Revis for cheaper. Its all a ploy to wake Revis up. No you'd rather pay him more money than we should have to so you can sleep tonight?

He shouldn't be answering those questions, but the Jets are working overtime to paint Revis as greedy, and it's obviously working. Problem is that it's going to wind up running their best player out of town for inadequate compensation.

If Revis goes anywhere, a lot of the F Revis fans are going to be cursing the Jets for letting him go in the near future.

I'm still pissed off that they couldn't work out a deal with John Riggins.

this is not the first time Jets contract negotiations were questioned. They said they offered Leon 5 mil per year. Leon said he was offered 2. Revis track record is better than the NYJ.

It absolutely is not. Revis is a two time holdout and a proven liar (see: OTA injury faking). Revis' track record is dogsh*t. He is the least trustworthy person in all of this, and that includes everyone from the scumbag agents to lying team reps.

Talking guaranteed money is irrevelant when there is a $40 MILLION gap.

Seriously, bit, get a clue. No amount of guaranteed money can bridge a $40 million gap in compensation.

And, slats, 10/$120 million is not a good deal??? :face: You're rep is going down the drain faster than Mevi$ :D

10 years/ $120M sounds like a lit of money -because it is- but is it really a great contract for Revis?

Average "very good" CB money in 2010 is in the $10M/year range, and Revis is better than very good. Aso is making Crazy Al money, but Charles Woodson is making $13.5M this season.

Ten years from now -sh*t, probably 4, 5 years from now- that $12M a year isn't going to look nearly as good, Even the ridiculous, bullsh*t, greedy 10yr/ $160M contract will probably be looking pretty reasonable by 2018.

Jets need to come up with an offer with a real 8-figure signing bonus, and get closer to Revis' "total compensation" with some bloated years/bonuses on the back end of the deal - year's they'll be free to cut if they feel like it. They're the ones who can get this done.

You're making the same god awful leaps that Revis apparently is. Do you understand how NFL contracts work? Just because Charles Woodson is making $13.5 million dollars this season says nothing to the total value or average salaries of his contracts. The average value of Woodson's contract is nowhere near that. And say what you want, the guy still beat out Revis for DPOY, so why should Revis get paid more anyway? Trying to compare the two is frankly absurd. Besides, why does Revis need to worry about how good the value will be 10 years from now? Nobody around here is stupid enough to actually believe Revis will make it through this deal without holding out again. As far as a backloaded deal that you're suggesting, it's been made clear from long before this holdout even began that the Revis camp has no interest in that kind of deal. They want that absurd amount of money ($16 million / year) going into Revis' pockets every year.

trading DR doesn't make this team better.

+1

It makes the team worse.

Good teams keep their all-pro players. They either pay them or wait them out until they take a deal.

Trading Revis is idiotic and Tannnenbaum knows that; that's why he said he wouldn't do it.

He shouldn't be answering those questions, but the Jets are working overtime to paint Revis as greedy, and it's obviously working. Problem is that it's going to wind up running their best player out of town for inadequate compensation.

If Revis goes anywhere, a lot of the F Revis fans are going to be cursing the Jets for letting him go in the near future.

I'm still pissed off that they couldn't work out a deal with John Riggins.

HA HA HA!

:lol:

You're making the same god awful leaps that Revis apparently is. Do you understand how NFL contracts work? Just because Charles Woodson is making $13.5 million dollars this season says nothing to the total value or average salaries of his contracts. The average value of Woodson's contract is nowhere near that. And say what you want, the guy still beat out Revis for DPOY, so why should Revis get paid more anyway? Trying to compare the two is frankly absurd. Besides, why does Revis need to worry about how good the value will be 10 years from now? Nobody around here is stupid enough to actually believe Revis will make it through this deal without holding out again. As far as a backloaded deal that you're suggesting, it's been made clear from long before this holdout even began that the Revis camp has no interest in that kind of deal. They want that absurd amount of money ($16 million / year) going into Revis' pockets every year.

But he's only held out twice. If we just pay him for life and absurd amounts, hell be happy as a clam and never make another peep. Then if he doesn't live up to that absurd contract, well I guess the organization can just eat it up like were doing with Gholston or the Raiders did with Russell, right?

/sarcasm

I agree.

Why shouldn't they? The Jets are the ones who have a signed contract the player isn't honoring, which he is legally bound to, and plus providing his word isn't good for crap. They're also the ones who've been working since February trying to get Revis a new deal despite him still having three years left on his contract. And Revis response is ridiculous demands and a refusal to honor his contract. They should be the ones going to the press, because clearly them trying to do the right thing by Revis just got them a big "**** you" in response, so now they need to try to apply the pressure. The difference is Revis' people have no interest in negotiating. Everything that's been reported, included the words from the man's mouth himself, have shown that they have one set of ridiculous demands, and there's been no evidence that they have any plans to accept anything but exactly that.

And, slats, 10/$120 million is not a good deal??? :face: You're rep is going down the drain faster than Mevi$ :D

People on this board very recently thought the $12-14M per year number would be fair for a player of Revis' ability, now suddenly $10M a year is okay? And it's still going to be okay in 2019? When lesser CB's than Revis are making the $10M range and up in 2010?

If he signs a deal like that, guaranteed he'll be holding out again.

The Jets can put together a prettier deal for Revis simply by putting huge money in the last couple years of the deal (in the form of bonuses or salary, whatever's allowed). What's stopping them? An 8-figure signing bonus and a bloated back end should get a deal done.

Revis' camp says the Jets have yet to offer $1 in signing bonus money, and the Jets don't deny that. They need to start talking about what kind of real bonuses they'll be willing to pay to get this behind them.

People on this board very recently thought the $12-14M per year number would be fair for a player of Revis' ability, now suddenly $10M a year is okay? And it's still going to be okay in 2019? When lesser CB's than Revis are making the $10M range and up in 2010?

The Jets can put together a prettier deal for Revis simply by putting huge money in the last couple years of the deal (in the form of bonuses or salary, whatever's allowed). What's stopping them? An 8-figure signing bonus and a bloated back end should get a deal done.

Revis' camp says the Jets have yet to offer $1 in signing bonus money, and the Jets don't deny that. They need to start talking about what kind of real bonuses they'll be willing to pay to get this behind them.

We're just spreading the wealth around. :lol:

if you were the Jets slats what would you offer Revis right now?

Archived