Jets rework CB Drew Coleman's deal

Jetfan13

According to Jenny Vrentas of the Newark Star-Ledger, New York Jets Cornerback Drew Coleman re-worked his contract last week, agent Alan Herman said today.

Coleman signed his one-year, restricted free agent tender worth $1.176 million in April. But last week, the team and his agent re-negotiated for him to earn $850,000 this year, all fully guaranteed, with a $220,000 signing bonus up front.

The Jets save money at the position which is important because they are locked in negotiations with All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis.

According to Jenny Vrentas of the Newark Star-Ledger, New York Jets Cornerback Drew Coleman re-worked his contract last week, agent Alan Herman said today.

Coleman signed his one-year, restricted free agent tender worth $1.176 million in April. But last week, the team and his agent re-negotiated for him to earn $850,000 this year, all fully guaranteed, with a $220,000 signing bonus up front.

The Jets save money at the position which is important because they are locked in negotiations with All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis.

And the plot thickens further... Not to read too much into it, but the fact that this deal was done just last week could mean the Jets and Revis really are close to an agreement.

I would have liked us to cut ties with Coleman if we could better.

Agreed, but there's something to be said for the fact that despite long odds from day one, he's continued to stick around through multiple head coaches. If nothing else, until the Jets find someone clearly better at the position I have no doubt Westhoff has some say in him sticking around given his contributions on special teams.

Given the new contract, he obviously just got himself guaranteed against getting cut, so we might as well get used to him for at least one more year.

many fans don't like him, but it seems that the coaching staff is ok with how he plays.

Really when looking for a fourth or a fifth corner it would be tough to find anything better. There just isn't that much out there

I guessing he does "the little things" right on special teams that us fans don't see.

This only cuts $100K off his salary. Don't see what the big deal is here and don't think that $100K is affecting negotiations with other players.

this is tanny's favorite strategy

in exchange for a lower cap number, the player gets more money guaranteed

I'm sure he's tried it on revis, revis just won't budge

Hasn't he said that he refuses to try this on Revis? Demanding that they come to terms on total compensation before discussing guaranteed money?

Hasn't he said that he refuses to try this on Revis? Demanding that they come to terms on total compensation before discussing guaranteed money?

Might have something to do with him not willing to come off the $16/$160.

Might have something to do with him not willing to come off the $16/$160.

Exactly. He probably has tried it, but Revis probably won't come down from that 16m per demand. Its hard to negotiate guaranteed when the two sides cant work out total compensation. The other problem is that Revis wants the 16m per AND a hefty portion guaranteed. I think Tanny knows this so the "take 12m with a hefty guarantee" wouldnt do it necessarily.

This only cuts $100K off his salary. Don't see what the big deal is here and don't think that $100K is affecting negotiations with other players.

It doesn't affect negiotiating with other players. Jenny is making a crazy leap in logic by suggesting it.

This has everything to do with Coleman wanted to be in the roster.

His $1 million tender wasn't guaranteed. The Jets could cut him and he gets nothing. So, he decided to take a paycut and get it all guaranteed which helps him make the roster.

Nice try, slats. But you trying to equate the Coleman thing to Revis is comical.

Coleman agreed to guaranteed money for TOTAL COMPENSATION. Get it? His entire contract is guaranteed now. He took less to stay with the team.

It doesn't affect negiotiating with other players. Jenny is making a crazy leap in logic by suggesting it.

This has everything to do with Coleman wanted to be in the roster.

His $1 million tender wasn't guaranteed. The Jets could cut him and he gets nothing. So, he decided to take a paycut and get it all guaranteed which helps him make the roster.

Bingo. The guy just guaranteed himself a job in the NFL for one more year. If the Jets cut him and nobody else picked him up, he would not see a single cent. Plus, he also got himself a nice few hundred grand to pocket immediately. Not a bad days work.

Nice try, slats. But you trying to equate the Coleman thing to Revis is comical.

Coleman agreed to guaranteed money for TOTAL COMPENSATION. Get it? His entire contract is guaranteed now. He took less to stay with the team.

The funny thing about it is I'm pretty sure the Jets just wiped out the entirety of what they could give out as fully guaranteed salary this year with the Coleman deal. Go figure.

Bingo. The guy just guaranteed himself a job in the NFL for one more year. If the Jets cut him and nobody else picked him up, he would not see a single cent. Plus, he also got himself a nice few hundred grand to pocket immediately. Not a bad days work.

Yeah, seriously.

Players don't get paid until the 1st weekend of the season. They get weekly checks after that. Coleman makes about $47,000 a week. So rather than wait another 3 weeks for that 1st $47K, he got $220,000 right now. Pretty good for him.

this is tanny's favorite strategy

in exchange for a lower cap number, the player gets more money guaranteed

I'm sure he's tried it on revis, revis just won't budge

I'm getting very tired of you.

Tell it to Lars, he's the one who equated the two, not me. I was pointing out that it was comical - but you're in too much of a rush to disagree with me for the sake of disagreeing to notice.

Archived