18 game season

jgb

a regrettable money grab

ther solution was obvious, keep the 16 game season, but eliminate 2 PS games

they would never do that of course because it's lost revenue for everyone

terrible idea, I hate it

also, the NFL will NEVER begin the seaon before labor day, so this means more bad weather games in f***ing february

wish we got that dome in NYC now !!!

so does this make 11 or 12 wins the new 10?

how did you old timers feel when they went from 14 to 16?

As I recall, 10 wins wasn't even that impressive in a 14 game season, and a 9-5 record was unlikely to get you a playoff spot. This was long before "parity" was a concept in the NFL.

It would suck if 10 wins were the new 10 wins in an 18 game season.

a regrettable money grab

ther solution was obvious, keep the 16 game season, but eliminate 2 PS games

they would never do that of course because it's lost revenue for everyone

terrible idea, I hate it

also, the NFL will NEVER begin the seaon before labor day, so this means more bad weather games in f***ing february

wish we got that dome in NYC now !!!

Just curious, why wouldn't the NFL start the season before labour day. Going 2-3 weeks into february will not increase attendance and will make for some horrible games for the networks.

I remember the move to 16 games and as a football fan, I liked it ... Anything to get more football is OK with me.

From what I understand, the 18 games would be over a 20 week span, which means two bye weeks for each team, only 2 preseason games, and an expanded roster.

I'm all for it.

I remember the move to 16 games and as a football fan, I liked it ... Anything to get more football is OK with me.

From what I understand, the 18 games would be over a 20 week span, which means two bye weeks for each team, only 2 preseason games, and an expanded roster.

I'm all for it.

Really?

If they insist on not opening the season until the week after Labor Day, that plan would push the Super Bowl back to the last Sunday in February!

That's crazy.

As I recall, 10 wins wasn't even that impressive in a 14 game season, and a 9-5 record was unlikely to get you a playoff spot. This was long before "parity" was a concept in the NFL.

It would suck if 10 wins were the new 10 wins in an 18 game season.

not to mention all the old records will lose some meaning and all the new ones will be asteriked.

16 games is perfect. not so many (like baseball) where everyone tunes out at the beginning of the year and not so few that a 2 game losing streak ends your playoff hopes.

Just curious, why wouldn't the NFL start the season before labour day. Going 2-3 weeks into february will not increase attendance and will make for some horrible games for the networks.

because of ratings.

fatcesa talked about it today, he said count on it, the NFL will NEVER begin the season before labor day. he's a fat a$$, but he's always dead on with the sports/TV/Money stuff, that's his sweet spot

the networks know the ratings for late season games, with the playoffs on the line, will be stronger than the early season games pre-labor day

he said specifically that NFL ratings don't really pick up until the third week in september, so there is no chance they schedule games in august

they will set records for no shows, but what do they care, those tickets are already paid for

This is a BS money grab for the owners, but I have to wonder if this may actually benefit us in the long run if we continue to play excellent defense and run the ball. With the longer season comes the potential for more bad weather games; of which I feel more comfortable assembling a team similar to the one we already have...Also lost in this is the idea that February won't be the worst month of the year anymore.

my concern is, how are they going to decide the other 2 games? they have a scheduling formula right now, for us we play our own division twice, we play one division in our conference, one division in the other conference, and two other teams in our conference from the two remaining divisions. How will the other two games be decided?

my concern is, how are they going to decide the other 2 games? they have a scheduling formula right now, for us we play our own division twice, we play one division in our conference, one division in the other conference, and two other teams in our conference from the two remaining divisions. How will the other two games be decided?

Just a crazy stab in the dark: They will increase the number of games they play intra conference from 6 to 8. Before the realignment to 8 divisions, they had some bizarre schedules. Anyone remember when the last place team in one division would play the last place team in another division twice?

This is the lock out buster. The owners want an 18% benefits cut for the players. The compromise will be to go to 18 games with no cap reduction, or salary increase

Myself, I’m all for it. More Football is good by me. Snow, slush, I don’t care

This is the lock out buster. The owners want an 18% benefits cut for the players. The compromise will be to go to 18 games with no cap reduction, or salary increase

Doubtful.

Upshaw isn't in control anymore, so the union might actually have a shot this time around.

Instead of two other teams in the remaining two divisions, you just change it to one entire division. That way I guess you just don't play one division entirely in the conference every year.

Just STOP charging face value for PRESEASON games.

STOP IT!

Owners won't do that until preseason games are included in revenue sharing. Right now, preseason money is not included and the owners keep those ticket sales for themselves.

The theory of raising regular season tickets a few dollars each and reducing the preseason prices is not going to work. No way are the individual owners going to give up that money.

If preseason tickets were $50 each instead of $125 each, we wouldn't bitch so much about the games. It's the simple fact that if I sell my tickets and only get $40 or $60 for them, I feel jobbed. And buying them as a fan, if I wanted to see the prospects, I'm not going to pay full face.

Better way would be to include all games as part of revenue sharing. this way owners would be more likely to reduce the preseason pricing, with an obvious raise in regular season pricing. We'd pay the same, but we'd feel better about it.

I'm hoping Goodell is only demanding an 18 game season so he has something to give up in negotiations.

I think the owners really want this. They probably have that 18% reduction in the cap we've heard so much about as the item that comes off the table first.

Archived