I heard Jeter's representation

THE ILK

Do you hear links?

Actually, I just read the articles on ESPN.com. Sounds to me like normal negotiation stuff.

ESPN is desperately trying to spin it negative with the way they are writing the articles.

Personally I think both sides should agree to not talk to the media until a deal is finalized.

Actually, I just read the articles on ESPN.com. Sounds to me like normal negotiation stuff.

ESPN is desperately trying to spin it negative with the way they are writing the articles.

Personally I think both sides should agree to not talk to the media until a deal is finalized.

I think they will, I heard it on the Herd.

It is a very interesting negotiation. On the open market he isn't worth all that much. If he leaves he hurts his earning potential in retirement. For the Yankees this guy has been your model citizen since 1996. He has nver done wrong by the team. He had a bad year but still has plenty of baseball left.

Both sides need each other.

The Yankees aren't getting by with a 2 year deal. Jeter isn't getting a 6 year deal.

4 years 65 million, that is the fair price for both sides. Much more than Jeter would get anywhere on the open market. The Yankees keep the Hall of Famer and pay him well above market value as a thank you for past success.

It is a very interesting negotiation. On the open market he isn't worth all that much. If he leaves he hurts his earning potential in retirement. For the Yankees this guy has been your model citizen since 1996. He has nver done wrong by the team. He had a bad year but still has plenty of baseball left.

The Yankees aren't getting by with a 2 year deal. Jeter isn't getting a 6 year deal.

4 years 65 million, that is the fair price for both sides. Much more than Jeter would get anywhere on the open market. The Yankees keep the Hall of Famer and pay him well above market value as a thank you for past success.

Good post Max, although I'd like a 3 year deal better. :)

18 million a year? He's not worth that.

Scutaro made 5.5 million last year and had a better year than Jeter.

Jeter should consider himself lucky to get 10 million a year based on the current economic climate.

He's not as a player. More involved with the Jeter contract than him producing on the field.

18 million a year? He's not worth that.

Scutaro made 5.5 million last year and had a better year than Jeter.

Jeter should consider himself lucky to get 10 million a year based on the current economic climate.

Oh Carl...I really wish the Red Sox would send a different rep to talk baseball here.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it may get a little ugly but will be resolved. I absolutely think they would offer him a lifetime deal like Magic Johnson had with the Lakers but for the fact Jeter wants to possibly own his own team some day. Tough situation...pay a guy for his current baseball worth or his Yankee business worth. ARod's contract mistake hurts Jeter here.

Jeter isn't going to get that kind of money anywhere else. The Yankees would look terrible if he went somewhere else. They'll get it done, but it's starting to get ugly.

Why would the Yankees look terrible? If Jeter wants 6 years, see you later.

Intangibles are expensive these days I guess.

Yankees GM Brian Cashman said Tuesday that Derek Jeter "should test the market" if he doesn't approve of the club's three-year, $45 million offer.

Cashman is right. Jeter wouldn't find anything close to that offer in free agency. He hit just .270 with a 710 OPS in 2010 for the Yankees and again showed diminishing range at the shortstop position. Cashman's comments might upset "the captain," but the Yankees have already made a generous offer and have no real reason to up the total cost or length of the proposal. Nov. 23 - 3:10 pm et

Source: Wallace Matthews on Twitter

Mike on WFAN discussing now. Yankees are nuts. I have never been a big Jeter guy but with the Yankees money this should be handled in house.

According to other reports, Jeter is looking for 4 yrs.

I hope Jeter signs elsewere. Heck, he should sign a 4 yr deal at $15 mil per with the Red Sox.

You can't sign A-Roids to $30 million a year for 7 yrs until he's 42 and not pay Jeter $15 mil per for 4 yrs until he's 40.

F-ck Cashman, that little prick. You did a sh-tty a$$ job last offseason which screwed the Yanks in the long run.

You can't get all fiscally responsible with an iconic player after you spent $85 million on a POS like Burnett.

I hope this prevents Lee from signing with the Yanks.

A 4 yr deal for $60 million is a good deal for any mid-large market team to sign Jeter.

The Yanks are nuts.

The fact that it has even gotten to this is beyond ridiculous.

This team has more money than GOD and they are going to let the face of the franchise go out and test the market !?!

I have NO DOUBT that a team out there be it the Tigers (Michigan roots), Mets (They would fill that house real fast), or even dare I say that team from Beantown that has gone through what, 100 shortstops since Nomar would make an offer that right now the Yankees for whatever reason don't seem to want to make.

There are some guys that you just don't treat as "Just a ballplayer". Jeter is one of those players.

The latest from MLB.com has the Yanks offering 3 years at 45 million. Give him the 4th year, make the deal 60 million and lets get this done already.

According to other reports, Jeter is looking for 4 yrs.

I hope Jeter signs elsewere. Heck, he should sign a 4 yr deal at $15 mil per with the Red Sox.

You can't sign A-Roids to $30 million a year for 7 yrs until he's 42 and not pay Jeter $15 mil per for 4 yrs until he's 40.

F-ck Cashman, that little prick. You did a sh-tty a$$ job last offseason which screwed the Yanks in the long run.

You can't get all fiscally responsible with an iconic player after you spent $85 million on a POS like Burnett.

I hope this prevents Lee from signing with the Yanks.

A 4 yr deal for $60 million is a good deal for any mid-large market team to sign Jeter.

The Red Sox don't need a second baseman.

The Yanks are playing hardball with Rivera too. Interesting offseason tactics.

Archived