The Sanchez spike on 1st down with 1:30 on clock late in the game

BP

Mentioned it in the game thread, but someone tell me where I'm wrong.

Pass is completed to Cotchery. He stretches it into a first down.

Clock is ticking.

We don't have another play ready to go. We spike the ball, and lose one of our 4 downs on our last series (which we turned over on downs).

Now am I wrong, or is the OC supposed to have a play all ready to go in case we actually convert a first down (and another ready to go if we're short by 2 yards, another if we're short by 5 yards, etc)?

Plus we were lined up and ready to go before Miami was, if I'm remembering correctly. Next play, if there was one, would have had a good chance of success. But we didn't even call a play.

I killed him for that yesterday. now in the NY Times he said that call came from the sidelines.

If thats Schotty he has to be fired. thats ******* ridiculous.

Why does that surprise you? Did you see Schotty casually walking up the sideline right after that like he was a friggin' genius for calling the spike?

Clock is ticking.

We don't have another play ready to go. We spike the ball, and lose one of our 4 downs on our last series (which we turned over on downs).

Now am I wrong, or is the OC supposed to have a play all ready to go in case we actually convert a first down (and another ready to go if we're short by 2 yards, another if we're short by 5 yards, etc)?

Plus we were lined up and ready to go before Miami was, if I'm remembering correctly. Next play, if there was one, would have had a good chance of success. But we didn't even call a play.

Schotty's call. 'Nuff said.

i can't kill em for that 1 play the game was lost well before that drive

fwiw the spike was ok with me cause these guys are men not robots, you can't just run the WR up and down the field and expect them to run just as hard the next play. they need a little recovery time.

Alot of teams have set plays for those situation already in the bank. They will just go to the line and call one of the 4 or 5 set plays they have for those situations. If you have 5 plays that are already agreed upon, the QB just has to walk up and put up 4 fingers and run number 4 or whatever. When you offense is sputtering like it was, you can't afford to give up a down.

i can't kill em for that 1 play the game was lost well before that drive

fwiw the spike was ok with me cause these guys are men not robots, you can't just run the WR up and down the field and expect them to run just as hard the next play. they need a little recovery time.

So does the defense, no? Why would our guys be more winded than theirs?

Plus I'm not talking about when they called a timeout. This was a pretty quick play to Cotchery. The WR's weren't up and down the field where it went to him after Sanchez danced around in the pocket for 5 seconds.

Wouldn't a shot at the sideline, on one of his patented 2 yard passes, even been better?

How do you not have a single play ready to go?

Clock is ticking.

Oakland did similiar against jax.. but they didn't spike.. they didn't have a play called and bled like 35 seconds off the clock as campbell was trying to get the play called at the line..

they are supposed to call 2 plays in the huddle, but it seems like it doesn't happen anymore

I killed him for that yesterday. now in the NY Times he said that call came from the sidelines.

Odd we both made a thread about this at the same time about something no one brought up all night or all morning long. Didn't even see yours while I was writing mine up.

Crap, now people are going to associate me with you.

*sigh*

...merge away...

I didn't know why BP killed Sanchez for the spike when the call was obviously made on the sidelines. Sanchez doesn't call his own plays.

It was a bad decision because downs is just as important as the clock and they had more than a minute left.

I didn't know why BP killed Sanchez for the spike when the call was obviously made on the sidelines. Sanchez doesn't call his own plays.

It was a bad decision because downs is just as important as the clock and they had more than a minute left.

If it was so obvious why did the ny times ask him why he spiked the ball? lol

I was screaming, YOU ARE GOING TO NEED THAT DOWN.

Ah, good times.

So does the defense, no? Why would our guys be more winded than theirs?

Plus I'm not talking about when they called a timeout. This was a pretty quick play to Cotchery. The WR's weren't up and down the field where it went to him after Sanchez danced around in the pocket for 5 seconds.

Wouldn't a shot at the sideline, on one of his patented 2 yard passes, even been better?

How do you not have a single play ready to go?

Even if you didnt, just have your WR's run a couple of outs to the sideline. Worst case scenario, they are covered and you throw the ball away stopping the clock and only losing 10 seconds or so.

Just piss poor. Schotty is gawd awful.

Clock is ticking.

There have been multiple late 2nd and 4th quarter drives this year that have been negatively impacted by Schotty not having plays in quick enough - earlier in the year at least 2 different games Sanchez standing on the field, clock ticking, yelling at Schotty for a play with his hands out at his sides like WTF.

Late game drives are often defined by being organized and decisive and having plays/subs in quickly in order to keep the defense from getting their subs on the field... every time Schotty pauses to tinker with his playbook, he allows the defense to recover between plays.

But its not Schotty's fault.

Alot of teams have set plays for those situation already in the bank. They will just go to the line and call one of the 4 or 5 set plays they have for those situations. If you have 5 plays that are already agreed upon, the QB just has to walk up and put up 4 fingers and run number 4 or whatever. When you offense is sputtering like it was, you can't afford to give up a down.

that's always been my understanding of how a 2 minute drill works. 1:30 from mid field is a lot of time. total panic move

There have been multiple late 2nd and 4th quarter drives this year that have been negatively impacted by Schotty not having plays in quick enough - earlier in the year at least 2 different games Sanchez standing on the field, clock ticking, yelling at Schotty for a play with his hands out at his sides like WTF.

Late game drives are often defined by being organized and decisive and having plays/subs in quickly in order to keep the defense from getting their subs on the field... every time Schotty pauses to tinker with his playbook, he allows the defense to recover between plays.

But its not Schotty's fault.

Sadly, we've all seen that multiple times. Pretty disturbing. Like the kid doesn't have enough problems.

Sadly, we've all seen that multiple times. Pretty disturbing. Like the kid doesn't have enough problems.

Exactly.

I've seen 4 different QB's struggle similarly under Schotty, which is more than enough to have reached the conclusion that firing him is the first step towards fixing multiple problems.

If it was so obvious why did the ny times ask him why he spiked the ball? lol

Because the NY Times wasn't watching the game on TV.

The TV broadcast clearly showed Sanchez looking toward the sidelines asking for a play, Schitty call the play, and then Sanchez set up for the spike. It wasn't like Sanchez was running up and calling spike immediately. He was looking for a play and Schitty called spike.

Because the NY Times wasn't watching the game on TV.

The TV broadcast clearly showed Sanchez looking toward the sidelines asking for a play, Schitty call the play, and then Sanchez set up for the spike. It wasn't like Sanchez was running up and calling spike immediately. He was looking for a play and Schitty called spike.

I must have been looking at my laptop and missed that..lol

That is just god awful. but these are the types of thin gs that have been going on for a while, even when the Jets were winning. it's just magnified now because of that abomination yesterday and last monday.

Hmm...call from the sidelines...Not one mention of the HC in all this...the spike was dumb but alot of things in the past two weeks have been dumb and this didn't lose us the game...team needs to get their head out of their a$$.

Our HC has nothing to do with the offense. so it's not his fault.

call me crazy but I saw at one point right before the spike Sancheze looked at Holmes like he was going to line up quick and launch it to him but then just spiked the ball. The Corner wasn't on Holmes yet. I've never be more confused.

The HC is ultimately responsible for everything. Everything is a reflection of himself, he is essentially a manager. He manages and runs the team. His duty is to select the people under him and then determine if they are doing a good job or not. If there is a problem it is his job to either help them fix it or to fire them, and bring in somebody that CAN do the job.

This man is paid millions of dollars to do something that your local McDonald's manager has a firmer grasp on. Sure the HC in the NFL has more money riding on it and a lot of other things to go along with it, but basic management and hiring theories do not change.

There is clearly a reason why the rest of the NFL ignored Rex for so long. Once again, the Jets apparently hired a coordinator (at best) who is not ready for an NFL HC job. Only the Jets. Woody is so cheap and lazy. Instead of calling up Cowher and offering him a king's ransom, he took a vacation and then went with the cheap route again. Of course he then turns around and charges the fans PSLs. This guy is a total prick.

Except when the Groundz n' Poundz are successful, amirite?

The HC is ultimately responsible for everything. Everything is a reflection of himself, he is essentially a manager. He manages and runs the team. His duty is to select the people under him and then determine if they are doing a good job or not. If there is a problem it is his job to either help them fix it or to fire them, and bring in somebody that CAN do the job.

This man is paid millions of dollars to do something that your local McDonald's manager has a firmer grasp on. Sure the HC in the NFL has more money riding on it and a lot of other things to go along with it, but basic management and hiring theories do not change.

There is clearly a reason why the rest of the NFL ignored Rex for so long. Once again, the Jets apparently hired a coordinator (at best) who is not ready for an NFL HC job. Only the Jets. Woody is so cheap and lazy. Instead of calling up Cowher and offering him a king's ransom, he took a vacation and then went with the cheap route again. Of course he then turns around and charges the fans PSLs. This guy is a total prick

1. I have no idea what the infatuation is with Cowher, but how many coaches who already won a SB did anything with their 2nd team?

2. Woody has put alot of money into this team. Cheap is something he hasn't been.

3. Rex Ryan is a great man, a great leader, and he can fix anything he sets his mind to!

Hmm...call from the sidelines...Not one mention of the HC in all this...the spike was dumb but alot of things in the past two weeks have been dumb and this didn't lose us the game...team needs to get their head out of their a$.

Rex was standing there watching Shotty suck... he actually stepped abck and just stood behind him... it was pathetic...

Archived