Defensive players unhappy with Rex

Integrity28

Jets defensive players not happy with Rex’s criticism

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 13, 2010, 10:55 AM EST

This Jets team was supposed to be different because it was balanced. No longer would the team’s stout defense have to carry a young quarterback prone to mistakes.

After Sunday’s 10-6 loss to the Dolphins, the divide between the two sides of the ball is growing. Some defensive players aren’t happy that Rex Ryan expects them to carry the team.

“According to Rex we played [bleepy],” defensive end Shaun Ellis told Mark Cannizzaro of the New York Post. “He said we weren’t good enough. I guess we needed a shutout. I guess that’s what he was talking about.”

The Jets defense held the Dolphins to only 131 yards and six first downs. The only Dolphins touchdown came after Mark Sanchez lost a fumble to set up a short field. Ryan’s critique reportedly didn’t sit well with defensive players, most of whom bolted out of the locker room quickly.

“It’s frustrating to hear that because we played a solid game,” Ellis said. “I guess he just expects so much out of the defense that there should have been zero points on the board, not 10.”

Mike Tyson once famously said that everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. The Jets didn’t respond well after taking an uppercut from the Patriots last Monday night.

You have to be kidding me...

131 total yards of offense. 5 completed passes by Henne. 10 points allowed all off of OUR turnovers giving them gift wrapped field position... and he's critiquing the D?

Time to start being a HEAD COACH Rex...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This D hasn't been NEARLY what they were last year. They have been utterly mediocre most of the year and one good game against a garbage offense with a garbage QB doesn't give them the right to yap.

On the contrary - Rex criticized their performance yesterday, and it was a great performance. Rex was in the wrong on this.

This wasn't a critique of their season-long performance, this was just about yesterday.

On the contrary - Rex criticized their performance yesterday, and it was a great performance. Rex was in the wrong on this.

This wasn't a critique of their season-long performance, this was just about yesterday.

I think like the GB game, some of you have to accept that the weather had a hand in the offenses struggling..

I think like the GB game, some of you have to accept that the weather had a hand in the offenses struggling..

Sanchez definitely struggles in the cold, maybe one day he'll have a coach that makes him throw 100 balls outside in the cold every practice.

That would help.

Sanchez definitely struggles in the cold, maybe one day he'll have a coach that makes him throw 100 balls outside in the cold every practice.

That would help.

Wait... wouldn't that impede upon his lunch dates? Or video games with Dustin and Braylon? Not sure he can fit that in, in between filming commercials where he is in a showdown with Drew Brees.

That would help.

Rex babies him, they should send him out in shorts and a tshirt to practice in the elements.. good point

This year, our D doesn't cause turnovers anything like it did last year.

This D is good enough for a team with an offense. But since we don't have one we'll only win with defensive scores and field position short enough we can score before 4th down.

no pass rusher

I thought the players dont listen to what Rex says at the pressers? this is a tsunami of fecal matter boiling up on this house.

Bullsh*t.

The WHOLE league listens to Rex's pressers... because after every embarrassing moment, the opponents throw his quotes back in his face.

Wait... wouldn't that impede upon his lunch dates? Or video games with Dustin and Braylon? Not sure he can fit that in, in between filming commercials where he is in a showdown with Drew Brees.

I'm sure a good coach could fit it in where he can still swing all that.

You have to be kidding me...

131 total yards of offense. 5 completed passes by Henne. 10 points allowed all off of OUR turnovers giving them gift wrapped field position... and he's critiquing the D?

Time to start being a HEAD COACH Rex...

in 1997 the Jets got beat by the Colts in an important game down the stretch and only had 160 total yards of offense. the coach at the time said ''160 yards of total offense? give me a break this is the NFL''

Why he would say anything about the Defense is beyond me.

Was unaware that the Dolphins weren't getting rained on. Both teams play in the same conditions. That is far and away the biggest BS excuse yet. The Pats actaully let up yesterday up 33-0 in way worse conditions. When Julius Peppers was asked about the weather he rightly said it had nothing to do with their loss.

Things are out of control.

It would appear that way...

Once again, the Jets peaked in the preseason (See: HBO).

The Patriots are peaking in December.

... and I'm worried, yet again, that my relatives will buy me Jets crap for Christmas and I will have to pretend to be psyched about it.

Sigh.

Was unaware that the Dolphins weren't getting rained on. Both teams play in the same conditions. That is far and away the biggest BS excuse yet. The Pats actaully let up yesterday up 33-0 in way worse conditions. When Julius Peppers was asked about the weather he rightly said it had nothing to do with their loss.

Umm.. the dolphins were terrible on offense as well.. my point was that both offenses were facing tough conditions and it should've lowered expectations in terms of offensive productivity

I watched the press conference.. Rex didn't bash the D.. just did the we lost as a team schtick.. This is more a sign of the defense being pissed at the offense for the loss imo.. and coming off thier disgraceful performance a week ago, they should stfu

Umm.. the dolphins were terrible on offense as well.. my point was that both offenses were facing tough conditions and it should've lowered expectations in terms of offensive productivity

While I get that, you aren't going to win games scoring 9, 0, 3, and 6 points in this league. The offense goes straight down the sh*tter in cold weather, which poses a significant problem considering this is a cold weather sport... Sanchez's accuracy, while never a strong suit for him even in ideal conditions, plummets when conditions are poor. Bad weather or not if they want to win games they have to perform better even if the number of points dip. I'm sure you agree with that.

I think fans tend to underrate the importance of execution of the players and overrate the importance of play design. But yesterday's playcalling was flat out sh*t. The constant 1st down run up the gut was pure stupidity and the results bear that out. You've got a guy struggling to complete 50% of his passes overall in bad weather conditions and you're constantly asking him to convert in 3rd and long? Gee, drives stall out constantly? I wonder why. Sanchez holds onto the ball too long and takes too long to make decisions. When he throws it, it's inaccurate and the timing is way off. I get that. But Schottenheimer is putting the offense in positions of failure. Whereupon Mark is a liability to this offense. Hence the sh*t we get in cold weather games on offense.

And your point? These are quotes from the players and coach that show there is a problem. Does it make it you happier that they were on sportscenter too?

Who cares where it comes from its still correct.

TBH The Jets players and coaches should have just kept an even keel all season. dont get too high when you're winning and dont get too low when you're losing. it seems they're taking both to the extremes now. and the fall is that much harder after you've been pumping your chest all season about a pink elephant..lol

TBH The Jets players and coaches should have just kept an even keel all season. dont get too high when you're winning and dont get too low when you're losing. it seems they're taking both to the extremes now. and the fall is that much harder after you've been pumping your chest all season about a pink elephant..lol

you are dead on. reminds me of last year when rex declared the jets out of the playoffs after an embarrassing loss.

Archived