I just got into Law School!!!!

MangoJet

Not.... Completely bombed my LSAT's

Life...

Over....

Ugh.... I didn't want to join the Army... :(

What reality do you live in that failures isn't a part of succeeding? Take a step back, talk to some people in the mix, and make a plan with measurable outcomes to get ready to pass it next time. You think i got accepted my first time applying to the "Chip-n-Dales Academy of dance and utter hotness?" No, no I didn't.

Plenty of people out their not in the Army that jagged a Lsat. Relax and regroup.

Life...

Over....

It happens. Guess what though... you get to regroup and attack it again. Or you can go to a law school that values your academic record, general resume, etc. While the LSAT is pretty damn important it is not the end all/be all to getting into a law school. I am sure you didn't bomb it bad enough that all law schools would eliminate you as soon as they see it.

Bombed? Did you do much prep? I took it 2x and went up 9pts (145-154)after a class. With the class, my meager 154 was good enough to get me into a local school (MSU). I decided not to go due to my age (40+) though. Too old to get ROI, and my LSAT wouldn't get me any scholarship $$.

If you didn't do a class, and you were within 8pts of what you wanted, and you *really* want to be an atty, I recommend you risk the $$ on a course.

Cant you take the LSAT multiple times?

ya but most school average your scores (unlike SAT where most schools take the top one).

Life...

Over....

law school right now is probably a bad idea, especially if you're not going to a top school. while many if not most of the great lawyers i have known did not go to "top" schools, in this economic environment, employers are being extraordinarily selective.

even the ABA came out today recommending against going to law school...

http://www.cnbc.com/id/40863598

long story short, your life isn't over just because you didn't get into law school because going to law school (especially a "lower" ranked one) these days is more likely to load you up with debt without a way to pay it off than to get you a 6 figure job.

if you REALLY want to be a lawyer i recommend enrolling in a school that will pay your student loan bills for you if you take a low paying public interest job after you graduate.

good luck.

Don't go to law school unless you get into Yale or have family connections that guarantee you a great job. You sucking on the LSAT might just have been the luckiest thing to happen to you, otherwise you would have made a life ending decision.

Serving in the military is great, especially as an officer. I've actually seriously thought about it myself. I got selected for Navy OCS (about an 8% selection rate for my board, some of the positions only take something like 6 guys the entire year so it's even more selective). If you feel your body can hold up and seriously want to make something of yourself and haven't been born into money or made it to an elite educational institution (IVY, top 3 Law School, any US med school) military might be your best bet.

Don't go to law school unless you get into Yale or have family connections that guarantee you a great job. You sucking on the LSAT might just have been the luckiest thing to happen to you, otherwise you would have made a life ending decision.

Serving in the military is great, especially as an officer. I've actually seriously thought about it myself. I got selected for Navy OCS (about an 8% selection rate for my board, some of the positions only take something like 6 guys the entire year so it's even more selective). If you feel your body can hold up and seriously want to make something of yourself and haven't been born into money or made it to an elite educational institution (IVY, top 3 Law School, any US med school) military might be your best bet.

military is a great career. but there are a lot of good schools outside of the Ivy leagues and when i said "top law school" i was referring to top 25, preferably top 14 -- not just top 3.

also, not sure "any US med school" is the option either. medmal insurance is an absolute killer and there are a lot of crummy med schools out there.

Lol, there are quite a number of non-ivy elite educational institutions...

The only Ivy I'm applying to is #4 on my list of 9 schools...

:P

And I quote this board's own Don Maynard as he offered advice to a down on his luck, Eric Mangini - "The World Needs Ditch Diggers Too"

military is a great career. but there are a lot of good schools outside of the Ivy leagues and when i said "top law school" i was referring to top 25, preferably top 14 -- not just top 3.

also, not sure "any US med school" is the option either. medmal insurance is an absolute killer and there are a lot of crummy med schools out there.

I'd say you want top 5 in this economy. But I know plenty of Harvard grads that have had trouble finding jobs the past 3 years. There is this one blog that should be required reading: http://butidideverythingrightorsoithought.blogspot.com/

There are plenty of other blogs like this too. And you mentioned the ABA website too, although I think they are still misleading.

I think Georgetown sent most of their grads the past few years to India for doc review projects, or hired them for temp jobs on campus to pad statistics. Those blogs generally break these things down, I used to read them a bit a few months ago.

I hear bad things about medicine but most doctors are just whiny. If you work for the government you make a good 6 figure salary with little to no threat of malpractice lawsuits. If you are a doctor in NY the legislation is designed to actually protect you anyway, with shorter SOLs and a lot of obstacles to bringing a lawsuit, along with caps on awards. Doctors are a very powerful lobbying group, and also powerful in the media, so I think they've just created another excuse to charge outlandish rates but blame somebody else for their greed.

The legal field is pretty dead, especially for recent graduates and I'm guessing graduates going forward. Honestly I think you'd have to be nuts to go to law school now period. I hear med school does have problems too. Thanks to the baby boomers this country has been essentially bankrupted and ruined. Oh well. Maybe if we're lucky enough people will get around to taking an active stand and turning around the corporate greed that has caused a lot of this mess. That includes the higher education scam. Until it gets corrected I'd say stay away if possible.

If I was 5 years younger I'd probably do the military thing. I'm a little older now though. I respect the hell out of anybody that has served, it's tough as hell. I'm personally trying to figure out if I think I can handle it, since I do have that personal desire to serve. Just not sure if that desire outways my innate laziness at times.

I'd say you want top 5 in this economy. But I know plenty of Harvard grads that have had trouble finding jobs the past 3 years. There is this one blog that should be required reading: http://butidideverythingrightorsoithought.blogspot.com/

There are plenty of other blogs like this too. And you mentioned the ABA website too, although I think they are still misleading.

I think Georgetown sent most of their grads the past few years to India for doc review projects, or hired them for temp jobs on campus to pad statistics. Those blogs generally break these things down, I used to read them a bit a few months ago.

I hear bad things about medicine but most doctors are just whiny. If you work for the government you make a good 6 figure salary with little to no threat of malpractice lawsuits. If you are a doctor in NY the legislation is designed to actually protect you anyway, with shorter SOLs and a lot of obstacles to bringing a lawsuit, along with caps on awards. Doctors are a very powerful lobbying group, and also powerful in the media, so I think they've just created another excuse to charge outlandish rates but blame somebody else for their greed.

The legal field is pretty dead, especially for recent graduates and I'm guessing graduates going forward. Honestly I think you'd have to be nuts to go to law school now period. I hear med school does have problems too. Thanks to the baby boomers this country has been essentially bankrupted and ruined. Oh well. Maybe if we're lucky enough people will get around to taking an active stand and turning around the corporate greed that has caused a lot of this mess. That includes the higher education scam. Until it gets corrected I'd say stay away if possible.

If I was 5 years younger I'd probably do the military thing. I'm a little older now though. I respect the hell out of anybody that has served, it's tough as hell. I'm personally trying to figure out if I think I can handle it, since I do have that personal desire to serve. Just not sure if that desire outways my innate laziness at times.

it's definitely tough to find work out there although for law schools "top 14" is generally considered the "top" (don't ask me why it's exactly 14 but it's been that way for years).

also, some schools offer to make your loan payments for you if you take a "public interest" job that pays under a certain amount (usually around 80k). i would 100% go to a school with this program if i were looking at law school now.

but you are right. a law degree is no longer a virtual guarantee of gainful employment, although a lot of schools out of the top 50 never were.

it's definitely tough to find work out there although for law schools "top 14" is generally considered the "top" (don't ask me why it's exactly 14 but it's been that way for years).

also, some schools offer to make your loan payments for you if you take a "public interest" job that pays under a certain amount (usually around 80k). i would 100% go to a school with this program if i were looking at law school now.

but you are right. a law degree is no longer a virtual guarantee of gainful employment, although a lot of schools out of the top 50 never were.

Quit posting and work harder Counselor so my retirement is more comfortable rolleyes.gif

This is great news. Law School would have been an awful life decision.

You'd be better off going into the newspaper business. LOL.

You sure about that?

I got rejected from every law school I applied to 5 years ago. Best thing that ever happened to me. I realized that I didn't really want to go to law school, I was just a poli sci major with nothing else to do. So I worked a few years, figured out what I really wanted to do, and now I'm on my way. Don't fret.

You sure about that?

I got rejected from every law school I applied to 5 years ago. Best thing that ever happened to me. I realized that I didn't really want to go to law school, I was just a poli sci major with nothing else to do. So I worked a few years, figured out what I really wanted to do, and now I'm on my way. Don't fret.

10041d1248311439-attributes-excellent-forum-moderator-perk.jpg

Uh, not to piss in your cheerios, but...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/business/09law.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=general

This article is like a nuclear bomb going off.

Simple fact-if you have an in or family at a big time firm, good for you.

If you have an in at a DA's office or a public defender, also, good for you.Get an internship there as soon as you can. If I didn't have an in at a local DA's office(actually 2, but I'd already accepted one after interning there), I would have gone JAG.Might want to consider federal or local law enforcement who will pay you for law school.Either way without that kind of experience you are not going to get any business hanging up your shingle.

If you have an internship lined up with a place you would like to work, also, good for you.Get the internship or job going.

If you are a genius who will be law review and clerking for a judge, uh, that ain't you.

If you don't go into serious debt and can use it in another field(finance, realty management, taxes), then law school may be a good place to hide out in this economy.In fairness the guy in the Times' article has to be braindamaged to go into that much debt, vacations in the south of France and Prague, high end condos in San Diego...that is f___in' crazy.

But the bigger point stands; do not go into major debt. Were I king, the colleges and law schools would be explaining to Congressional committees how their tuition increases, susidized by federal loan guarantees, have outpaced inflation by double digits for 40+ years. It's criminal, and no one is doing anything about it. How can any young person buy a house or car, or start a family with that kind of debt? And all these loans backed by the government are why it has happened.

My experience-6 years in a DA's office, and 16 years since with the shingle out. But the beginning of those 16 years were often difficult. I had to take any crap case that came through the door, and sometimes that cost way more than it was worth. You have to be careful and watch you cash. And find some niche. I did heavy assigned and retained criminal work, until my real estate and tax prep business took off. Now mostly I work hard 3 months a year(starting this week) and keep my head above water the other 9 months at an easy pace with basic retained criminal work(DWIs, bar fights, simple possession), some per diem union work and closings. But I know a ton of people I worked with and went to school with who have gone on to do stuff that has nothing to do with law-Wall Street, insurance, fireman, screenwriter, seafood restauranteur. Might they have been off doing those things in the first place? And some of the people I see now and then still grinding it out in the DA's office are less than overjoyed. You try homicides of drug scumbags for relative peanuts, your kids never see you and they still aren't much appreciated by their boss.

Look before you leap. You have been warned. Good luck what ever you decide.

And disregard all that happy horsesh*t any law school dean or professor gives you about "changing the world". You gotta eat.My eyes were opened in my last semester. I had figured out you could finish 6 months early and get a head start on my career by taking some summer classes. I was called before the dean who informed me, quite angrily, that I could not, and how could I do such a thing.Before that day, she ahd never as much as inquired about my career. I explained with an undergrad degree in accounting I had done the math on credits. This bitch would've killed me on the spot with the look she shot me. In fact, with a little research you could, but you have to request a waiver from the state bar to do so, which they grant anyway. The revelation was that I asked why the school cared, and I was told unless I paid full tuition for the last semester I would not be given a diploma.All that miserable wench wanted was her cash.

Archived