its a damn shame

ylekram

If div winners got in but not guaranteed home game, teams would play harder (like kc today who mailed it in). Right now Indy would be coming here and kc going to Balt. Also would have been painful because if we beat chi we'd be 2 seed if they used the new formatting.

I agree with this-the team with the better record should get the home game-Indianapolis should be traveling to NJ instead of us having to go there

We don't deserve a home game after sh*ting the bed against the Pats and Dolphins in back-to-back weeks. There is absolutely no need to change the playoff formatting.

We don't deserve a home game after sh*ting the bed against the Pats and Dolphins in back-to-back weeks. There is absolutely no need to change the playoff formatting.

But Indy deserves it? They had a 3-game losing streak and were a botched Kerry Collins snap away from finishing 9-7 in that sorry-a$$ division.

So you think it's OK that Seattle hosts the Saints. Sorry, but that's broke.

you cant change the division winners getting in the playoffs..thats just stupid..

Agreed.

Chalk this up to "sh*t happens" and move on. I'm sick of Goodell making up new rules for every circumstantial hiccup that 3 or more people complain about.

You don't have to guarantee them home field.

It dpends, in 2008 the AFC east played such an easy schedule that we all had bloated records (kinda like the NFC south this year), in 2002 it was the reverse. The reason division winners should get preference is cause of these kinds of patterns

It dpends, in 2008 the AFC east played such an easy schedule that we all had bloated records (kinda like the NFC south this year), in 2002 it was the reverse. The reason division winners should get preference is cause of these kinds of patterns

I don't really care one way or the other, but it's not "stupid" to consider seeding the teams by record. IMO, this is the problem with all this interleague play, etc. It seems unfair to have worse teams, like Seattle, have home field, when we already know who the best teams are, the mystery is gone. Sure there are issues of injuries, who is hot and specific game performance, but it's not like we have no idea how the NFC will perform vs. the AFC. Not like back when I was a kid and we had to walk through 40 miles of snow to get to school. Uphill!

If they lost earlier tonight they would've gotten the eighth pick in the draft. Now, they are guaranteed no lower than the 21st pick, which is the pick they will get when they get massacred by the Saints.

Ain't that a kick in the balls? Makes the win pretty bittersweet if you ask me. Now you're the notorious worst playoff team ever and you drop 12 spots in the draft. St. Louis is an up & coming team with Sam Bradford that's going to be able to help themselves more in the draft than Seattle next year.

Agreed. The playoff formatting in the NFL is extremely fair. It rewards division winners, as it should. You can't boo-hoo just because our favorite wildcard team had a better record than a couple divisional winners. If getting a home playoff game is so important to the Jets, they should think about actually winning the division. Problem solved.

you cant change the division winners getting in the playoffs..thats just stupid..

I think you rearrange the divisions then. Keep it to two like they do with basketball, it's by far the fairest seeding system. You can keep the rivalries and scheduling going with subdivisions or something, but there's no need for 4 per conference. Leaves way too much room for error like we saw this season.

Agreed. The playoff formatting in the NFL is extremely fair. It rewards division winners, as it should. You can't boo-hoo just because our favorite wildcard team had a better record than a couple divisional winners. If getting a home playoff game is so important to the Jets, they should think about actually winning the division. Problem solved.

Yeah it's really easy getting to 14-2 :rolleyes:

Under the present format, teams are "punished" by the division they are in. If the Jets were in the West or South, they would have won the division.

That being said, I'm more bothered by a 7-9 team making the playoffs. The Jets are a bad home team, so I'd rather them be on the road as it is.

IMO the fairest way is to seed by record. I know that takes away from division play, but the present system has major flaws.

Yeah it's really easy getting to 14-2 :rolleyes:

Under the present format, teams are "punished" by the division they are in. If the Jets were in the West or South, they would have won the division.

That being said, I'm more bothered by a 7-9 team making the playoffs. The Jets are a bad home team, so I'd rather them be on the road as it is.

IMO the fairest way is to seed by record. I know that takes away from division play, but the present system has major flaws.

You don't know what their record would've been in those divisions because they didn't play the same schedule as the teams in those divisions.

Jets didn't have to get to 14-2, either. They could've won the division this year by going 13-3, and beating NE and Miami down the stretch - but that didn't happen.

There are anomalies in the current system, but there would be in any system. Winning the division is supposed to mean something, even if you win it at 7-9.

You don't know what their record would've been in those divisions because they didn't play the same schedule as the teams in those divisions.

Jets didn't have to get to 14-2, either. They could've won the division this year by going 13-3, and beating NE and Miami down the stretch - but that didn't happen.

There are anomalies in the current system, but there would be in any system. Winning the division is supposed to mean something, even if you win it at 7-9.

I agree with losing to the Phags, but I think most people would agree that splitting with the Pats* is acceptable. So in that scenario, the Jets are 12-4 and still the 6th seed. That is inherently wrong.

Sure there may be problems with any system, but the current system allows a 7-9 team to host a playoff game, and a 12-4 team is the lowest seed as described above. Those are MAJOR flaws in the system.

IMO, too much is made about winning the division, and the fairest way is to seed on records.

This is what I think should happen:

* 4 Division winners get in

* 2 WCs

Now it's time to determine seeding. Those 6 teams are in, but let's seed them. SEED THEM just like you would if they were battling for WC spots. In the AFC, you'd get

NE (14-2)

PIT (12-4) (division winner)

BAL (12-4)

NYJ (11-5)

IND (10-6) (H2H matchup)

KC (10-6)

(if the Jets were 12-4, they'd be 2nd based on tiebreakers).

In the NFC, you'd get:

ATL (13-3)

NO (11-5) (better conference record)

CHI (11-5)

GB (10-6)

PHI (10-6) (won H2H matchup)

SEA (7-9)

What would be the pros and cons?

Pros: Teams would play hard in week 17 (NYJ would play starters if the possibility of a BYE in round 1 is there, if PIT lost and BAL lost). NO would have played hard the whole game too, not knowing if CHI was going to win or lose. Same with Philly.. they could have got to 11-5 as well, getting a HOME game.

The negative?: Let's say 2 NO was 12-3 going into Sunday, not 11-4. They could have taken the day off not caring about the division because they were going to be #1 or #2.

Another alternative is to seed the way they seed now but give the home game to the team that has the better record. I like the 1st alternative better. The #3 seed should get to play a team like Seattle, not the #5.

Ain't that a kick in the balls? Makes the win pretty bittersweet if you ask me. Now you're the notorious worst playoff team ever and you drop 12 spots in the draft. St. Louis is an up & coming team with Sam Bradford that's going to be able to help themselves more in the draft than Seattle next year.

i actually prefer drafting later. early 1st round picks do not have the cost/reward ratio working for them.

This is what I think should happen:

* 4 Division winners get in

* 2 WCs

Now it's time to determine seeding. Those 6 teams are in, but let's seed them. SEED THEM just like you would if they were battling for WC spots. In the AFC, you'd get

NE (14-2)

PIT (12-4) (division winner)

BAL (12-4)

NYJ (11-5)

IND (10-6) (H2H matchup)

KC (10-6)

(if the Jets were 12-4, they'd be 2nd based on tiebreakers).

In the NFC, you'd get:

ATL (13-3)

NO (11-5) (better conference record)

CHI (11-5)

GB (10-6)

PHI (10-6) (won H2H matchup)

SEA (7-9)

What would be the pros and cons?

Pros: Teams would play hard in week 17 (NYJ would play starters if the possibility of a BYE in round 1 is there, if PIT lost and BAL lost). NO would have played hard the whole game too, not knowing if CHI was going to win or lose. Same with Philly.. they could have got to 11-5 as well, getting a HOME game.

The negative?: Let's say 2 NO was 12-3 going into Sunday, not 11-4. They could have taken the day off not caring about the division because they were going to be #1 or #2.

Another alternative is to seed the way they seed now but give the home game to the team that has the better record. I like the 1st alternative better. The #3 seed should get to play a team like Seattle, not the #5.

I agree 100% with alternatove 1. There really is no drawback to this IMO.

Archived