David Harris to get Franchise Tag

KINGDIRK

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=6095495

Few teams have as many key free agents to re-sign as the New York Jets, who lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the AFC Championship Game and now have 17 players scheduled to hit free agency.

But New York plans to use its lone franchise tag not on receivers Santonio Holmes or Braylon Edwards, but on linebacker David Harris, according to a league source.

Cornerback Antonio Cromartie and special teams ace Brad Smith also will be free agents.

The linebacker franchise tag number last season was $9.6 million, but Harris would like a considerably longer-term deal than just one year. If franchise tags are allowed -- and the NFLPA plans to battle that -- the Jets will restrict the 27-year-old Harris but will allow Holmes and Edwards to test the free-agent market.

Harris, who was voted by the Jets' players as the team's MVP, had 99 tackles and three sacks in the 2010 season. He has had 127 tackles in two of his four NFL seasons, including 2009 -- his first in coach Rex Ryan's defensive system.

The Jets would like to bring back at least one of their veteran wide receivers. In fact, at his end of the season press conference, general manager Mike Tannenbaum said he would like to re-sign both Holmes and Edwards. He felt the duo aided quarterback Mark Sanchez's development.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to be honest, I'm a huge Harris fan, but I completely disagree with this decision if it costs the Jets any of their other key FAs. Sorry to say it, but of the Jets starters who are set to be FAs, Harris is certainly the most easily replaceable, while already playing at a position the Jets have an excessive amount of money committed. I could maybe see Harris over Cromartie, but even then you're talking about a much more difficult replacement task unless Wilson is ready for the job next year. As for Edwards and Holmes, the fact is that for the foreseeable future this team is about one man, Mark Sanchez, and you need to do everything in your power to keep his weapons, which means they HAVE to keep AT LEAST one of these two guys. I certainly have faith in Tannenbaum, I just hope this means the Jets already have a set plan in mind on how they are going to extend some of these other guys. If the Jets lose both of their WRs, that would be completely inexcusable.

I have to be honest, I'm a huge Harris fan, but I completely disagree with this decision if it costs the Jets any of their other key FAs. Sorry to say it, but of the Jets starters who are set to be FAs, Harris is certainly the most easily replaceable, while already playing at a position the Jets have an excessive amount of money committed. I could maybe see Harris over Cromartie, but even then you're talking about a much more difficult replacement task unless Wilson is ready for the job next year. As for Edwards and Holmes, the fact is that for the foreseeable future this team is about one man, Mark Sanchez, and you need to do everything in your power to keep his weapons, which means they HAVE to keep AT LEAST one of these two guys. I certainly have faith in Tannenbaum, I just hope this means the Jets already have a set plan in mind on how they are going to extend some of these other guys. If the Jets lose both of their WRs, that would be completely inexcusable.

The Jets need new outside linebackers. Bart Scott is really good but isn't young.

Rex considers Harris to be a huge key to his defense. I am going with Rex on this one.

The Jets need new outside linebackers. Bart Scott is really good but isn't young.

Rex considers Harris to be a huge key to his defense. I am going with Rex on this one.

Word. It either means that Rex is calling all the shots on personnel, or Tannenbaum doesn't want to look like he whiffed on Kyle Wilson and is going to let Cromartie walk to prove it.

Oh yeah, I understand you and from a defensive standpoint, I have no doubt Rex absolutely knows that this is the right move for the defense and of course he gets the benefit of the doubt on that one. I guess my greater concern is that as I said, this team's future rests on the shoulders of Mark Sanchez, and as long as that is the case, he needs to be their primary concern. They just better be sure that they can make something work with at least one of those WRs, because I feel a lot more confident that Rex could still put together a pretty good defense without Harris than the offense having a snowballs chance in hell of being even slightly mediocre with the only returning WRs being Cotchery and Patrick Turner. Especially considering it looks like we're stuck with that ******* moron of an OC for another year.

Word. It either means that Rex is calling all the shots on personnel, or Tannenbaum doesn't want to look like he whiffed on Kyle Wilson and is going to let Cromartie walk to prove it.

It is a tough one. If they let Cro walk and Wilson doesn't step up, this defense takes a step back. Unless Rex starts playing more conservatively which isn't going to happen. I know some people said they aren't thrilled with the year Cro had. But I disagree and continue to be amazed at what Rex and Pettine ask their corners to do. I am shocked the Jets don't give up more long touchdowns actually.

Of the existing guys I think they will target Harris, Cro and Edwards. Santonio would be great as well but I think that is where the #s will catch up to them. All talk of adding another big name FA is very unlikely imo.

Back to your point I do think Tanny is going to defer heavily on defensive personnel especially when it comes to the guys this staff is familiar with.

Oh yeah, I understand you and from a defensive standpoint, I have no doubt Rex absolutely knows that this is the right move for the defense and of course he gets the benefit of the doubt on that one. I guess my greater concern is that as I said, this team's future rests on the shoulders of Mark Sanchez, and as long as that is the case, he needs to be their primary concern. They just better be sure that they can make something work with at least one of those WRs, because I feel a lot more confident that Rex could still put together a pretty good defense without Harris than the offense having a snowballs chance in hell of being even slightly mediocre with the only returning WRs being Cotchery and Patrick Turner. Especially considering it looks like we're stuck with that ******* moron of an OC for another year.

Yeah as I just put in the post above this, I think Edwards will be back. Having Edwards and Holmes would be incredible but I think it is a long shot.

Agreed though -- Sanchez should be better in his 3rd year. But I wouldn't count on him being able to carry it, keep as many of his weapons as possible.

Yeah as I just put in the post above this, I think Edwards will be back. Having Edwards and Holmes would be incredible but I think it is a long shot.

Agreed though -- Sanchez should be better in his 3rd year. But I wouldn't count on him being able to carry it, keep as many of his weapons as possible.

The funny thing is until just a moment ago, I didn't even realize how bad it potentially was, I was trying to determine the returning WRs and after typing Cotchery, I sat there and after a few moments finally came up with... Patrick Turner. Yeah, that's bad. Point being, I get it would be tough to keep both Edwards and Holmes, but they have to keep at least one and then still need to get another WR in the offseason. For a team who's had a lot of garbage at QB over the years, they need to know they have to put him in the best possible position to succeed.

The funny thing is until just a moment ago, I didn't even realize how bad it potentially was, I was trying to determine the returning WRs and after typing Cotchery, I sat there and after a few moments finally came up with... Patrick Turner. Yeah, that's bad. Point being, I get it would be tough to keep both Edwards and Holmes, but they have to keep at least one and then still need to get another WR in the offseason. For a team who's had a lot of garbage at QB over the years, they need to know they have to put him in the best possible position to succeed.

The Brad Smith thing kind of hurts them in a way. Because of the roles Smith plays they never had that true 3rd WR until this year. They did that by taking their old #1 Cotchery and bumping him down.

Assuming Cotch is the # 2 guy next year the same problem exists. Smith if he is resigned is not a # 3 option. Honestly though with the OLine pretty much intact and this lineup:

Edwards or Holmes

Cotchery

Whoever the # 3 is

Keller at TE

They should be okay. But as you said, assuming the resign at least Edwards or Holmes. :D

I vote no more salary cap and bring them all back. Hell, we are already paying through the nose to watch this stuff.

Also that is not actually funny. :(

Keller was actually having a huge season before Holmes came back from suspension. If you sign Braylon and assume Keller takes some of the load vacated by Holmes' absence, then it's manageable, IMO. In that scenario I'd go out and get a true slot receiver and a decent all-around TE to play on the LOS while Keller splits out. Conner also looks like he can catch the ball and so does McKnight. All in all, losing a downfield guy like Holmes could be a blessing in disguise for Sanchez because he'll have more high-percentage passes and take less abuse.

They just better be sure that they can make something work with at least one of those WRs, because I feel a lot more confident that Rex could still put together a pretty good defense without Harris than the offense having a snowballs chance in hell of being even slightly mediocre with the only returning WRs being Cotchery and Patrick Turner. Especially considering it looks like we're stuck with that ******* moron of an OC for another year.

This is absolutely my take. Harris is a very good player, but a replaceable part. The Jets need a pass rush, and he doesn't provide it. That $10M would be better spent on someone really god at getting to the passer. OTOH, it will be good to see the Jets spend some money on homegrown talent. They've shown a willingness to spend for outside FA's while nickel & diming their own over the past few years (Revis notwithstanding).

But yeah, Rex is much more likely to be able to put together an effective defense without Harris than Schotty will be able to put together an even decent offense without Edwards and/or Holmes.

The Brad Smith thing kind of hurts them in a way. Because of the roles Smith plays they never had that true 3rd WR until this year. They did that by taking their old #1 Cotchery and bumping him down.

Assuming Cotch is the # 2 guy next year the same problem exists. Smith if he is resigned is not a # 3 option. Honestly though with the OLine pretty much intact and this lineup:

Edwards or Holmes

Cotchery

Whoever the # 3 is

Keller at TE

They should be okay. But as you said, assuming the resign at least Edwards or Holmes. :D

I vote no more salary cap and bring them all back. Hell, we are already paying through the nose to watch this stuff.

I don't thing there's much chance that Smith returns. With Sanchez's improvement at QB, the wildcat should be phased out, anyway.

The Jets don't like to draft WR's early, and those 1st and 3rd round picks are going to lean defense, too.

Maybe Cumberland takes a big step forward next year? He's a WR converted to TE, and might make a difference. Maybe Sanchez can get something out of Turner. The thought of this really makes you look more closely at holding onto LT for one more year just for his pass catching ability.

I'm also in the camp that wants to hold onto Edwards over Holmes. If they lose either, they need to find someone who can fill that #3 role in a quality way in FA.

$10M to David Harris? Damn, I just don't know, but I don't think so.

This is absolutely my take. Harris is a very good player, but a replaceable part. The Jets need a pass rush, and he doesn't provide it. That $10M would be better spent on someone really god at getting to the passer. OTOH, it will be good to see the Jets spend some money on homegrown talent. They've shown a willingness to spend for outside FA's while nickel & diming their own over the past few years (Revis notwithstanding).

But yeah, Rex is much more likely to be able to put together an effective defense without Harris than Schotty will be able to put together an even decent offense without Edwards and/or Holmes.

I don't thing there's much chance that Smith returns. With Sanchez's improvement at QB, the wildcat should be phased out, anyway.

The Jets don't like to draft WR's early, and those 1st and 3rd round picks are going to lean defense, too.

Maybe Cumberland takes a big step forward next year? He's a WR converted to TE, and might make a difference. Maybe Sanchez can get something out of Turner. The thought of this really makes you look more closely at holding onto LT for one more year just for his pass catching ability.

I'm also in the camp that wants to hold onto Edwards over Holmes. If they lose either, they need to find someone who can fill that #3 role in a quality way in FA.

$10M to David Harris? Damn, I just don't know, but I don't think so.

Patrick Turner is interesting. With his size, when you watch him play his upside seems huge. But he has been cut a lot. Has to be a reason for that.

Cumberland reminds me of the # sign on the old telephones. Nobody knew what the purpose was originally but eventually they made it useful. Seriously -- he took up a roster spot this year because they like his potential. With Keller already a pass catching tight end, it is interesting.

Hopefully his potential gets here next year. When I saw him in camp, he was open but dropped a lot. (I wasn't at camp much so that was a very small sample size).

I don't agree with this-I haven't seen much from Scott Max-love as much as we all do and all. Other than leadership I just don't see the plays being made from him.

Franchise tag for Harris raises questions

February, 6, 2011

By Rich Cimini

FORT WORTH, Texas -- The New York Jets' decision to use their franchise tag on LB Davis Harris, as reported Sunday morning by ESPN's Adam Schefter, comes as no surprise. In his end-of-season news conference, GM Mike Tannenbaum suggested he was leaning in that direction.

What does it mean?

• Harris will be a rich man. The franchise number last year for linebackers was $9.6 million. (This is assuming there will be a tag; there's still some uncertainty because of the labor situation.)

• Obviously, Harris would prefer a long-term deal. He's seeking more than $8 million per year (Bart Scott's salary), and he deserves it. He's better, and younger, than Scott. The estimated franchise number is fairly close to being in line with Harris' value.

• It shows how much Rex Ryan values Harris. But we knew that already. Remember in the 2009 preseason, when the Jets could've had WR Brandon Marshall from the Denver Broncos? The Broncos wanted Harris in return and the Jets told them that was a deal-breaker. Even though Harris' numbers dropped a bit in 2010, he's important to Ryan because the defensive signal caller, because he's only 27 and because defense is everything for Ryan.

• Clearly, the Jets value Harris more than WR Santonio Holmes, WR Braylon Edwards and CB Antonio Cromartie, all of whom have expiring contracts. If the Jets can't sign those players before the start of free agency (whenever that is), the players will hit the open market. Tannenbaum has said he'd sign to keep all three, but that will be difficult. League insiders say the Jets' No. 1 priority is Holmes; they appear willing to let the market dictate the value for Edwards and Cromartie.

• You could make the argument that Harris isn't a true franchise player, but remember this: He's the safest of the four. Unlike Holmes, Edwards and Cromartie, he has no off-the-field issues. He's also a homegrown Jet, and that matters to the organization. He's the last of the "Core Four." Darrelle Revis, D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold all received new deals last season.

League insiders say the Jets' No. 1 priority is Holmes; they appear willing to let the market dictate the value for Edwards and Cromartie.

Hope not.

I think Rex is still remembering how Holmes hurt him more when he was with the Ravens than Edwards and the Browns ever did, but he should take a better look at what each has brought to the Jets.

It is a pretty crazy move if you ask me. How you can pay Harris the kind of coin that is going for elite pass rushing types is beyond me. If the report is true all I can imagine is the Jets are either under the impression that there will either be no cap next season or they have zero intention of signing Harris to a long term deal and want to give it one last run in 2011 before making some more drastic changes to the team. The franchise tag only makes sense to use on Holmes. Nobody else.

I don't agree with this-I haven't seen much from Scott Max-love as much as we all do and all. Other than leadership I just don't see the plays being made from him.

Watch what he is asked to do. He is out there getting dirty. If there is a pulling guard, Bart Scott is the one that blows it up. It is a bit of a cliche but he really frees up either other players. What makes this defense work is how disciplined they are. I think a lot of that runs through Bart.

I am sure he grades out very high each week when they look at the film.

Calvin Pace is the player I was most disappointed with this season. Not sure if his injury early was worse than they let on. But that wasn't the Calvin Pace I knew...

Watch what he is asked to do. He is out there getting dirty. If there is a pulling guard, Bart Scott is the one that blows it up. It is a bit of a cliche but he really frees up either other players. What makes this defense work is how disciplined they are. I think a lot of that runs through Bart.

I am sure he grades out very high each week when they look at the film.

Calvin Pace is the player I was most disappointed with this season. Not sure if his injury early was worse than they let on. But that wasn't the Calvin Pace I knew...

yup-also Bryan Thomas, and I have always been his biggest supporter ever since we drafted him. I mean the guy has NEVER missed a game that I can remember and has done everything the team has ever asked him to do, including being switched to NT at one point. But WTHBS, he still finds a way to disappear for large chunks of the season(s).

Hope not.

I think Rex is still remembering how Holmes hurt him more when he was with the Ravens than Edwards and the Browns ever did, but he should take a better look at what each has brought to the Jets.

That line caught my eye as well and I really hope it's not true. There's certainly things that Holmes does extremely well, but the guy was amazingly inconsistent this year and is a bad piss away from one year off. If you ask me, Braylon's contributions this year were majorly underrated, the guy was far and away the most consistent pass-catcher on this team and he has a skillset that you ideally look for in a WR and the Jets haven't had since Keyshawn. This is the same guy who dragged two Pro Bowl DBs into the endzone in a playoff game. Even more than that, if the Jets can only keep one of them, based on skillsets I think the Jets are much better off with Cotchery as the compliment to Edwards than Holmes.

Archived