Buck Showalter takes shots at Derek Jeter and Boston

faba

Write That DownBuck Showalter Says Derek Jeter Is Scared of Fast Balls, Epstein Is No Einstein

By CYoung

Thu, 24 Mar 2011 14:58:47 GMT

Baltimore Orioles manager Buck Showalter is well aware that his team was one of the worst in baseball last year. He’s also aware that the O’s compete in the volatile AL East, arguably the toughest division in the Big Leagues.

You would think Showalter might stall at the fact that it will take more than bullish coaching to make Baltimore a contender in 2011. But then you don’t know Buck. In fact, Showalter isn’t about to stand down to the AL East heavyweights; he’s picking a fight with them.

In an interview of the April edition of “Men’s Journal,” Showalter took a swing at Yankees star captain Derek Jeter as well as Boston Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein, according to ESPN.com via the Bergen Record.

"The first time we went to Yankee Stadium, I screamed at Derek Jeter from the dugout," Showalter said in the interview. "Our guys are thinking, 'Wow, he's screaming at Derek Jeter.' Well, he's always jumping back from balls just off the plate. I know how many calls that team gets – and yes, he [ticks] me off."

The O’s manager took it a step further on the topic of Epstein’s offseason acquisitions of four-time All-Star Carl Crawford and two-time Gold Glove winner Adrian Gonzalez. If Epstein’s moves came off as brilliance, Showalter didn’t see it.

"I'd like to see how smart Theo Epstein is with the Tampa Bay [Rays] payroll," Showalter told “Men's Journal.” "You got Carl Crawford 'cause you paid more than anyone else, and that's what makes you smarter? That's why I like whipping their butt. It's great, knowing those guys with the $205 million payroll are saying, 'How the hell are they beating us?'"

You’ve gotta love Buck’s moxie, even if the O’s finished dead last in the AL East and were the first club mathematically eliminated from playoff contention in 2010.

New year, new O’s?

What has Buck Showalter ever won? He left the Yankees and THEN they became THE team of the mid-90s.

He's a dude that shoots straight from the hip, but he's missing the mark in both cases here.

Actually, Buck Showalter has twice been fired and replaced by a former catcher/color commentator who then won the World Series in his first season replacing Buck:

1996: Joe Torre takes over the Yankees from Showalter and starts a dynasty, leading the Yankees to their first world championship in 18 years.

2001: Bob Brenley takes over the reigns as manager of the Arizona Diamondbacks from Showalter and leads them to their only World Series title.

The key question here is, what former Major League catcher will be working in a broadcast booth and looking to be a manager about three years from now???

Write That DownBuck Showalter Says Derek Jeter Is Scared of Fast Balls, Epstein Is No Einstein

By CYoung

Thu, 24 Mar 2011 14:58:47 GMT

Baltimore Orioles manager Buck Showalter is well aware that his team was one of the worst in baseball last year. He’s also aware that the O’s compete in the volatile AL East, arguably the toughest division in the Big Leagues.

You would think Showalter might stall at the fact that it will take more than bullish coaching to make Baltimore a contender in 2011. But then you don’t know Buck. In fact, Showalter isn’t about to stand down to the AL East heavyweights; he’s picking a fight with them.

In an interview of the April edition of “Men’s Journal,” Showalter took a swing at Yankees star captain Derek Jeter as well as Boston Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein, according to ESPN.com via the Bergen Record.

"The first time we went to Yankee Stadium, I screamed at Derek Jeter from the dugout," Showalter said in the interview. "Our guys are thinking, 'Wow, he's screaming at Derek Jeter.' Well, he's always jumping back from balls just off the plate. I know how many calls that team gets – and yes, he [ticks] me off."

The O’s manager took it a step further on the topic of Epstein’s offseason acquisitions of four-time All-Star Carl Crawford and two-time Gold Glove winner Adrian Gonzalez. If Epstein’s moves came off as brilliance, Showalter didn’t see it.

"I'd like to see how smart Theo Epstein is with the Tampa Bay [Rays] payroll," Showalter told “Men's Journal.” "You got Carl Crawford 'cause you paid more than anyone else, and that's what makes you smarter? That's why I like whipping their butt. It's great, knowing those guys with the $205 million payroll are saying, 'How the hell are they beating us?'"

You’ve gotta love Buck’s moxie, even if the O’s finished dead last in the AL East and were the first club mathematically eliminated from playoff contention in 2010.

New year, new O’s?

Showwalter is Lou Pinella without the personality. Whatever.

Not really shots at either Jete or Epstein. Jeter does make pitches a inch inside seem like a foot inside by his reaction but he always has. That is part of his game. The payroll comment on Theo is what it is. The rich always appear smarter in all areas of life never mind a uncapped league.

Buck did have the Bird's playing well for a stretch after he took over last season. He has some Bats this year and the Bird's also do have some very good young arms. Their pitching is probably still a year or two away and the pen has too many question marks.

The AL East will be fun to watch this season with Manny and Damon in Tampa, the Sox looking like the team to beat "on paper" and the media questioning the Yanks 3-5 SP's. Toronto may actually finish behind the O's this year.

I hear SP Kevin Slowey of the Twins is available and think the Yanks will put out feelers if Burnett, Colon or Garcia get off to rough starts. Nova looks fine.

What has Buck Showalter ever won? He left the Yankees and THEN they became THE team of the mid-90s.

He's a dude that shoots straight from the hip, but he's missing the mark in both cases here.

He had a big part in building the Yanks dynasty of 96-2000. I actually knew him a little bit when he managed the Yanks minor league team that used to play near here. I like him and have a lot of respect for him.

He's not turning Baltimore into contenders, though.

Buck cleans things up, gets fired because he drives people crazy and then they win. He does leave things in better shape than he gets them though.

Archived