DeMurice Smith: They Made Us Do It

flgreen

DeMaurice Smith On WFAN: Players ‘Resent Being Lied To’ By NFL

May 13, 2011 10:26 AM

NEW YORK (WFAN) – DeMaurice Smith, head of the NFL Players Association, is prepared to take the NFL lockout battle to the bitter end.

“We went to the mattresses the day that we decertified,” Smith told WFAN’s Boomer & Carton on Friday morning. “Not because we wanted to, because they made us do it.”

With the lockout dragging into a third month, players asked a federal judge Thursday to make $4 billion in disputed broadcast revenue off limits to the league and to award them at least $707 million in damages, too.

The damages award alone could amount to a huge piece of leverage for the players in their fight with the NFL over the next collective bargaining agreement.

“The players understand the fight that they’re in,” said Smith. “Right now they don’t want to lay down and be forced to take a deal. They don’t believe that it’s fair. I can tell you that they resent being lied to. They resent being tricked. They resent the fact that the league has been found now twice to have violated the law. So those are the people that we’re inextricably tied to.”

Players haven’t only been active in the courtroom, said Smith. Eli Manning just concluded his Giants passing camp at Hoboken High School. Mark Sanchez hosted teammates at his annual “Jets West” camp at Mission Viejo High School in California. Locked-out players are finding their own ways to stay in shape — on their own dime.

“I can tell you every player wants to play football,” he said. “We’ve got our guys working out by themselves. You’ve got guys down in New Orleans where Drew (Brees) brought his guys together and paid their way so that they can practice. These guys are going and keeping themselves in shape for nothing at a time where, for the first time in history, a business has actually sued not to do their business.

“So while our guys are probably a little edgy, to use a soft word, they want to get back to enjoying their game.”

Smith himself was noticeably edgy when describing the state of the NFL. From the crowd at Radio City Music Hall roundly booing Roger Goodell at the onset of last month’s NFL draft to the suicide of ex-Giants star Dave Duerson, the NFLPA head sees plenty of bruises on the face of the league.

“I didn’t think that it was a good thing for our game to have our commissioner face what he faced on draft day. That’s not good for our game. It’s not good for our game when there’s a 22 percent drop-off of viewership from the draft. That’s not good for our game.

“It’s not good for our game that we’ve guys who played this game who can barely walk up steps. It’s not good for our game when we know that guys like Dave Duerson suffered from CTE (Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy). We should be thinking about ways in which to make the game better and safer.”

“The players understand the fight that they’re in,” said Smith. “Right now they don’t want to lay down and be forced to take a deal. They don’t believe that it’s fair. I can tell you that they resent being lied to. They resent being tricked. They resent the fact that the league has been found now twice to have violated the law. So those are the people that we’re inextricably tied to.”

That's a nice tactic and explains how he's kept the players from running back to take a check. Smith has sold them on the betrayal angle and not simply the dollars-and-cents, so victory isn't just a matter of percentage points--it's all or nothing. Pretty nasty.

That's a nice tactic and explains how he's kept the players from running back to take a check. Smith has sold them on the betrayal angle and not simply the dollars-and-cents, so victory isn't just a matter of percentage points--it's all or nothing. Pretty nasty.

the tenacity that it takes to be an NFL player is huge. I fully believe most of the players would go broke before giving into the owners. These 2 sides absolutely hate each other.

The funny thing, is when I read crap like this it's the reason why the players still look like complete schmucks despite how easy it should be for them to look like heroes with how badly the owners have handled things. While I get what they're trying to do, it's like they're treating everyone like they're a bunch of morons. "They made us do it"... seriously? Are you ******* kidding me, how old are you? Early on I started off split on the subject and while as things have progressed, I definitely have leaned more in the favor of the players, but that said whenever I read crap like this I realize both sides are filled with a bunch of rich greedy assholes who think all of us are nothing but a bunch of complete ******* morons who will believe the horse sh*t that spews out of their mouths.

The funny thing, is when I read crap like this it's the reason why the players still look like complete schmucks despite how easy it should be for them to look like heroes with how badly the owners have handled things. While I get what they're trying to do, it's like they're treating everyone like they're a bunch of morons. "They made us do it"... seriously? Are you ******* kidding me, how old are you? Early on I started off split on the subject and while as things have progressed, I definitely have leaned more in the favor of the players, but that said whenever I read crap like this I realize both sides are filled with a bunch of rich greedy assholes who think all of us are nothing but a bunch of complete ******* morons who will believe the horse sh*t that spews out of their mouths.

If Smith stayed at the negotiating tbale rather than decertifying we would probably have this settled because he has the legal upper hand. Problem Smith has once this goes long enough to cost his membership game checks they will never get back the pressure to setttle on him will be enormous, no matter how much "Norma Rae" gibberish we're hering today.

But that doesn't absolve Goodell of being a complete dunderhead. How can Goodell in good coscience and with no good faith legal basis not do everything he can to protect his brand and $9 billion in revenues? In this sh*tty economy, people will be enraged if the NFL doesn't have games because the likes of Mike Brown and Jerry Richardson doesn't make enough money.Not sure Goodell appreciates the sh*tstorm that is going to ensue,and how that $ 9 billion is not going to be the level of revenues for a while, or ever, if this happens.

Seems to me we have a bunch of men with over-blown ego's the size of Manhattan. Meanwhile the fans are getting the royal screw job. I hate both sides.

Fvck that.

The owners were making a sh*tload of money, but voided the CBA that was in place and locked the players out because it still wasn't enough. If the owners had merely been satisfied with with they had, there'd be business as usual going on right now. Their greed goes way beyond the players' greed.

Specifics would have been nice. Specifically what are the lies and what are the tricks? We can guess, but at this point why should we have to?

LOL. We know the specifics. Smith is talking about the lockout insurance case. The owners told the NFLPA that they got the best deal they could on the TV renegotiations, but it has come out that the owners left $1 billion on the table in order for the owners to be able to pocket TV money in case of a lockout.

That sounds like a lie and trick to me.

Bigot.

:D

Flew over your head.

Owners are white, majority of players are black, thus, taking the owners side makes you a bigot. Get it? ;)

Ahhh, gotcha. I didn't particularly think I was taking the owners side, more so not able to take the players side despite the fact that it should be easy to do so with how the owners have been, but they can't stop acting like gigantic douchebags. If it wasn't for my love for football, I would wish every one of these morons on both sides to end up completely broke. Screw them all.

Ahhh, gotcha. I didn't particularly think I was taking the owners side, more so not able to take the players side despite the fact that it should be easy to do so with how the owners have been, but they can't stop acting like gigantic douchebags. If it wasn't for my love for football, I would wish every one of these morons on both sides to end up completely broke. Screw them all.

Yeah, I get your point.

As to "screw them all", like I said in the other thread--I hope the NFL ceases to exist.

LOL. We know the specifics. Smith is talking about the lockout insurance case. The owners told the NFLPA that they got the best deal they could on the TV renegotiations, but it has come out that the owners left $1 billion on the table in order for the owners to be able to pocket TV money in case of a lockout.

That sounds like a lie and trick to me.

Thanks SMC I did not know the owners left that much money on the table. I am not sure if everyone does, but for PR purposes clarity, particularly in this case does not hurt.

yeah, and the decertification isn't a giant sham

as long as the players don't get rid of the draft , FA and the cap, I don't care how they split the money in the end.

Here's something I would expect to see soon...

Say I paid $10k x 4 seats for my PSLs. The expected lifespan of a new stadium is, conservatively, 30 years. So my $40k depreciates to $0 over those 30 years.

This lockout, if it last well into the season, is costing me 1/30th of the value of my investment or $1,333. I could do some fun math with NPV and get that number up closer to $2k without much difficulty.

How long before there is a class action suit against the owners with PSL stadiums...

using tactics in court is how it works. if it was fraudulent then it's ok for the NFL to attack the tactic... but if it's coloring within the lines that's called clever lawyering. Demaurice Smith doesn't have to win the court of public opinion, he is winning in the courts of law... at least so far.

using tactics in court is how it works. if it was fraudulent then it's ok for the NFL to attack the tactic... but if it's coloring within the lines that's called clever lawyering. Demaurice Smith doesn't have to win the court of public opinion, he is winning in the courts of law... at least so far.

DeM in his comments, is essentially bargaining for the collective benefit of all players

I thought they decertified ?

LOL

Have you ever seen a businessman NOT use every bargaining chip available in a negotiation?

For many years sports owners forced the players to sign one year contracts only with no guarantees past that one year. If a player, (who in most cases was a 25 year old kid negotiating with a 50 year old general manager), so much as hired an agent he got shipped off to another team.

Now the players use some weapons in their arsenal, and they're supposed to be bums for doing so?

Thanks SMC I did not know the owners left that much money on the table. I am not sure if everyone does, but for PR purposes clarity, particularly in this case does not hurt.

You're welcome. You may have noticed that the Players are asking for $700 million in damages after Judge Dotty ruled that the owners breached their fiduciary duty by seeking lockout insurance. That $700 million represents the players' portion of the money left on the table.

as long as the players don't get rid of the draft , FA and the cap, I don't care how they split the money in the end.

Decertification is a legal status, thus, it is not a sham.

The union and the players do not dictate the ramifications of decertification. The law does.

It's like divorcing your wife but still living together. There are legal ramifications to the divorce.

And, the ONLY way that there is a draft, FA, and the cap is through the CBA. Without a CBA the draft, FA, and the cap are illegal as antitrust violations. The players aren't trying to "get rid of" that. They are saying that such doesn't exist without a CBA, which they are 100% correct on.

DeM in his comments, is essentially bargaining for the collective benefit of all players

I thought they decertified ?

LOL

he has individual clients like Tom Brady. perhaps you've heard of him. they say he dresses like a dandy

Seems to me we have a bunch of men with over-blown ego's the size of Manhattan. Meanwhile the fans are getting the royal screw job. I hate both sides.

Another New York zing hey Garby? btw, Manhatten isn't THAT large....

Here's something I would expect to see soon...

Say I paid $10k x 4 seats for my PSLs. The expected lifespan of a new stadium is, conservatively, 30 years. So my $40k depreciates to $0 over those 30 years.

This lockout, if it last well into the season, is costing me 1/30th of the value of my investment or $1,333. I could do some fun math with NPV and get that number up closer to $2k without much difficulty.

How long before there is a class action suit against the owners with PSL stadiums...

Maybe Smith can lead that suit if the players decide to form a union that is going to negotiate

the tenacity that it takes to be an NFL player is huge. I fully believe most of the players would go broke before giving into the owners. These 2 sides absolutely hate each other.

Bit, sorry to say but I think you are reading way to much into the resolve of a player's tenacity on the field versus that of his checkbook.

Name for me the last NFL player that failed to come to agreement on terms of a contract so that he forfeited a season's pay. They are few and far between.

Bit, sorry to say but I think you are reading way to much into the resolve of a player's tenacity on the field versus that of his checkbook.

Name for me the last NFL player that failed to come to agreement on terms of a contract so that he forfeited a season's pay. They are few and far between.

the players aren't going rush back for the privilege of getting their asses reamed in 100 degree heat for 2 a days.

we are going to miss games this year and (if) when there is football it will be sloppy as hell.

the players have always knew this would be a long fight i think we are barely started on this whole thing

the players aren't going rush back for the privilege of getting their asses reamed in 100 degree heat for 2 a days.

we are going to miss games this year and (if) when there is football it will be sloppy as hell.

the players have always knew this would be a long fight i think we are barely started on this whole thing

We will see. Everything is speculation at this point.

2 weeks ago, everyone was talking about all the leverage that the players had. Now it is how much leverage the owners have.

This is a see-saw battle, which they are often, and someone needs to find the center.

Correct.

Fvck that.

The owners were making a sh*tload of money, but voided the CBA that was in place and locked the players out because it still wasn't enough. If the owners had merely been satisfied with with they had, there'd be business as usual going on right now. Their greed goes way beyond the players' greed.

Greed built the Panama Canal and provided us with every convenience of modern life. There is nothing inherently terrible about greed.

You're welcome. You may have noticed that the Players are asking for $700 million in damages after Judge Dotty ruled that the owners breached their fiduciary duty by seeking lockout insurance. That $700 million represents the players' portion of the money left on the table.

Decertification is a legal status, thus, it is not a sham.

The union and the players do not dictate the ramifications of decertification. The law does.

It's like divorcing your wife but still living together. There are legal ramifications to the divorce.

And, the ONLY way that there is a draft, FA, and the cap is through the CBA. Without a CBA the draft, FA, and the cap are illegal as antitrust violations. The players aren't trying to "get rid of" that. They are saying that such doesn't exist without a CBA, which they are 100% correct on.

it's a sham because it is still a union in every sense of the word, and his comments prove it. did the players even vote to decertify ? I'd say the 8th circuit agrees with me

it's the worst kind of sham, a transparent sham everyone knows is a sham. I can prove it with one question. "Will the players union become a full fledged union again once this whole mess is sorted out " ?

of course it will

shamma lamma ding dong

it's a sham because it is still a union in every sense of the word, and his comments prove it. did the players even vote to decertify ? I'd say the 8th circuit agrees with me

it's the worst kind of sham, a transparent sham everyone knows is a sham. I can prove it with one question. "Will the players union become a full fledged union again once this whole mess is sorted out " ?

of course it will

shamma lamma ding dong

It's a tactic in a negotiation. And it's no more or less valid than Ralph Wilson, Mike Brown and Jerry Richardson crying poverty when ever their phone rings from Peter King or Chris Mortensen intervwiewing any of them for the 15th time. The questions should be "Did you lose money? Do you have negative cash flow? Or did you in fact make money? Ins't this lockout an attempt to limit player salary costs?".

And as to the Bills; as sad as it may be, move to Toronto, play a game or 2 a year in Buffalo like the Packers used to do in Milwaukee already and stop whining. It's 90 minutes by car away.

Both sides need to stop the posturing and get to the table.

Both sides are right. Both sides are wrong. Find middle ground together and get over your hurt feelings.

Exactly.

Unfortunately, both sides still feel they can win and until one side clearly loses and it is in their best interest to negotiate. It will not happen.

It's a tactic in a negotiation. And it's no more or less valid than Ralph Wilson, Mike Brown and Jerry Richardson crying poverty when ever their phone rings from Peter King or Chris Mortensen intervwiewing any of them for the 15th time. The questions should be "Did you lose money? Do you have negative cash flow? Or did you in fact make money? Ins't this lockout an attempt to limit player salary costs?".

And it goes both ways.

We hear and see in print that the average NFL player career lasts 3-4 years. Ok. Is that because they were injured? Or is it because a late round draft pick or undrafted free agent is just better than you?

As Scott said above and Kraft and Bart Scott have recently echoed, stop f'ing around and get a deal done. You are close to really pissing off fans.

Archived