Movies We've Seen Thread

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I just saw Driver in Ferrari.  He must have been pretty good because I didn't even notice it was him until my wife said "That's Adam Driver."  I think she read it on imdb.  That is a fair movie.  If you're interested it is very much worth watching, if you're not, don't bother.  I went to the Mille Miglia five years straight from 2006-2010, but it's just an exhibition now with all the cars from that year and older.

I heard it was a good movie but I’m not really into cars, would I still be able to enjoy it?

1 hour ago, Nolder said:

I heard it was a good movie but I’m not really into cars, would I still be able to enjoy it?

I think so.  I recommend it, but not highly.  Certainly worth a watch since we are already paying for the streaming. 

This was the discussion about it in my house.  Wife:  That movie we watched last night sucked.  Me:  That was two nights ago.  Last night we watched Ferrari.  Wife:  Oh, that's right.  That was good, but man the Beekeeper sucked.

So good, but not memorable.  I think that is a valid rating.

• Upvote 1

I fell asleep during Beekeeper. It was fine just a really generic Jason Stathem action flick. Maybe I’ll check out Ferrari eventually but it’s probably not a must see for me I think.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think so.  I recommend it, but not highly.  Certainly worth a watch since we are already paying for the streaming. 

This was the discussion about it in my house.  Wife:  That movie we watched last night sucked.  Me:  That was two nights ago.  Last night we watched Ferrari.  Wife:  Oh, that's right.  That was good, but man the Beekeeper sucked.

So good, but not memorable.  I think that is a valid rating.

The bees were cool.

On 6/28/2024 at 9:56 PM, JPPT1974 said:

Went and Saw "A Quiet Place Day One" 8/10!

It was so so. Totally centererd around the female lead which was kind of lame. Could have and should have been so much better and interesting.  They really blew the opportunity.

On 7/5/2024 at 8:49 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

Kill is by far the best Hindi action movie ever and will probably be the best action movie of the year. Fun as all hell. 

Cool. I was thinking of seeing that. Now I will! Thanks! I havve around  3000  kung fu films on disc. Another cant hurt ☺️

Just watched a 20-minute compilation video of Trailers for Upcoming movies. Almost EVERYTHING looks ******* terrible... Nosferatu looks good and the new Alien movie looks like.... Alien, but very 2020's (Not in a good way). 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Just watched a 20-minute compilation video of Trailers for Upcoming movies. Almost EVERYTHING looks ******* terrible... Nosferatu looks good and the new Alien movie looks like.... Alien, but very 2020's (Not in a good way). 

I really enjoy the Alien franchise but I'm not all that excited for Romulus. I love the lore and I really liked Prometheus and Alien Covenant. This one seems to add nothing to the overarching story. I'll watch it when it's out on home video.

It takes a lot to get me to the theater these days... something along the lines of Dune and Dune 2. Those were worth the price of admission (I only saw the second one in the theaters, wish I had saw the first.)

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

I really enjoy the Alien franchise but I'm not all that excited for Romulus. I love the lore and I really liked Prometheus and Alien Covenant. This one seems to add nothing to the overarching story. I'll watch it when it's out on home video.

It takes a lot to get me to the theater these days... something along the lines of Dune and Dune 2. Those were worth the price of admission (I only saw the second one in the theaters, wish I had saw the first.)

I wanted to like Prometheus... but it was pretty stupid imo. Handpicked scientists, top experts in their field, selected for a groundbreaking and ridiculously risky and expensive mission make absolutely terrible and stupid decisions because... the script says they need to. There is an amazing movie at the core of Prometheus idea and concept, hell, it didn't even need to be an Alien movie.... and the production values etc. are great. But it just didn't work. I like the concept of the Alien "Franchise" as well, unfortunately there's only 2 good movies out of the whole bunch. I skipped Covenant because it looked... dumb. Again. 

Dune OTOH is brilliantly made. Villeneuve's Dune is damn near as perfect as Sci Fi or a Dune interpretation could be. Hell, they even just look and sound different than any other movies I've ever seen. Saw both multiple times in both IMAX and Dolby Sound. Flawless CGI use, excellent acting, and the sound design is next level.... and then the story is so unique and different, of course. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I wanted to like Prometheus... but it was pretty stupid imo. Handpicked scientists, top experts in their field, selected for a groundbreaking and ridiculously risky and expensive mission make absolutely terrible and stupid decisions because... the script says they need to. There is an amazing movie at the core of Prometheus idea and concept, hell, it didn't even need to be an Alien movie.... and the production values etc. are great. But it just didn't work. I like the concept of the Alien "Franchise" as well, unfortunately there's only 2 good movies out of the whole bunch. I skipped Covenant because it looked... dumb. Again. 

Dune OTOH is brilliantly made. Villeneuve's Dune is damn near as perfect as Sci Fi or a Dune interpretation could be. Hell, they even just look and sound different than any other movies I've ever seen. Saw both multiple times in both IMAX and Dolby Sound. Flawless CGI use, excellent acting, and the sound design is next level.... and then the story is so unique and different, of course. 

If you didn't like Prometheus then you made the right call on Covenant. 

I agree with you about the poor choices made by the main characters in Prometheus but the entire concept of how the species came to be and how life in earth came to be was extremely fascinating for me. I love the entire concept. It went off the rails in Covenant but I still enjoyed the movie.

Dune is great. It's also based on an epic series of books so they had an existing story to work with. Granted they still had to bring it to life on the big screen which they did to perfection. But the really didn't need to mess with the story itself because it was already there.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Alvarez is a legit young master of terror. I'm pretty hopeful on that one. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Dune is great. It's also based on an epic series of books so they had an existing story to work with. Granted they still had to bring it to life on the big screen which they did to perfection. But the really didn't need to mess with the story itself because it was already there.

Yup. I've read Dune 3 or 4 times now over the last 35 years. Excellent Book. I got as far as God Emperor of Dune and then... it got to be a bit too crazy for me. I might reread Dune Messiah just because, but everything after that, nope. Some of Messiah/Children of Dune could be adapted, but I wouldn't even want them to try to do the later books. Sandworm Leto II and Ghola Idahos all over the place... lol

• Upvote 2

Watched Latency and Last Stop In Yuma County.

Latency had some cool effects and ideas but really flubbed it. I’m not even really sure what the point of it was. Yuma was pretty good. Might not be for everyone but I enjoyed it.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I liked that one a lot. Every now and then a smaller noir movie drops out of nowhere and nails it.

You don’t need to spend a half billion dollars to make a good movie that people enjoy watching that’s for sure.

• Upvote 1

On 7/9/2024 at 10:17 PM, OilfieldJet said:

Being There

Charade

Cool Hand Luke

Diner

Goodbye Charlie

Guys and Dolls

In the Heat of the Night

Michael Clayton

North by Northwest

Risky Business

Roman Holiday

Stand by Me

The Fabulous Baker Boys

The Italian Job

The Mothman Propecies

The Pink Panther

Casablanca

I had 11 20-something year-olds in my class this weekend.  I asked everyone who has seen Casablanca to raise their hand.

Zero.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/16/2024 at 10:12 AM, Dcat said:

Casablanca

I had 11 20-something year-olds in my class this weekend.  I asked everyone who has seen Casablanca to raise their hand.

Zero.

You should round up the usual suspects...

• Haha 1

On 7/15/2024 at 2:34 PM, Nolder said:

You don’t need to spend a half billion dollars to make a good movie that people enjoy watching that’s for sure.

I saw a random line somewhere that Dune II cost less to make than 5 episodes of She-Hulk.

• WTF? 1

Just now, Dcat said:

Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

I remember watching Citizen Kane for the first time with my Dad. He hadn't seen it for a LONG time and I knew its one of those movies you're SUPPOSED to see if you love movies. Casablanca and Lawrence of Arabia are also on the "Must See" regarding filmmaking and cultural relevance. 

• Upvote 1

I went on a movie kick when I was like 22 or something and intended to watch some list I’d found of 100 movies you have to see. Or something like that. I want to say the list was made by a magazine like Time or Rolling Stone or…I don’t remember. Anyway long story short I watched a lot of great movies I’d never seen before but I didn’t end up finishing the list. The last movie I watched trying to complete that list was Casablanca. 

As a piece of film history I recognize its importance but I cannot understand why so many people act like Casablanca is this AMAZING movie that just blew their minds or whatever. In my opinion it really hasn’t aged well. And look it’s not a bad movie the plot is fine the acting is fine it’s all fine but you’re not going to compare it to more contemporary films like they’re in the same league. Casablanca is a foundation that newer movies are built on but you wouldn’t screen Casablanca today and get a reaction out of most people who don’t already know its cultural significance. It’s like trying to compare a musket to a nuclear warhead topped hypersonic missile fired from a submarine. We’re past Casablanca and I wish people would stop talking about it like it’s worth watching. It’s not. Unless you’re going to film school or you like Hollywood history or some other weird connection it’s just not worth seeing for the average person. That’s what I think anyway and that was my experience with it.

• WTF? 1
  • Ugh 1

18 minutes ago, Nolder said:

I went on a movie kick when I was like 22 or something and intended to watch some list I’d found of 100 movies you have to see. Or something like that. I want to say the list was made by a magazine like Time or Rolling Stone or…I don’t remember. Anyway long story short I watched a lot of great movies I’d never seen before but I didn’t end up finishing the list. The last movie I watched trying to complete that list was Casablanca. 

As a piece of film history I recognize its importance but I cannot understand why so many people act like Casablanca is this AMAZING movie that just blew their minds or whatever. In my opinion it really hasn’t aged well. And look it’s not a bad movie the plot is fine the acting is fine it’s all fine but you’re not going to compare it to more contemporary films like they’re in the same league. Casablanca is a foundation that newer movies are built on but you wouldn’t screen Casablanca today and get a reaction out of most people who don’t already know its cultural significance. It’s like trying to compare a musket to a nuclear warhead topped hypersonic missile fired from a submarine. We’re past Casablanca and I wish people would stop talking about it like it’s worth watching. It’s not. Unless you’re going to film school or you like Hollywood history or some other weird connection it’s just not worth seeing for the average person. That’s what I think anyway and that was my experience with it.

I think this is incredibly harsh on Casablanca.  I get not wanting to forced to watch it and maybe it hasn't aged well since the last time I paid attention watching it was probably over 25 years ago, but I thought the main issue was the hero not getting the girl and doing the right thing?  Things that I guess didn't always happen in big Hollywood.

• Upvote 2

On 7/16/2024 at 9:12 AM, Dcat said:

Casablanca

Zero.

No question. I didn't even mention it because I figured it was already on everyone's list.

26 minutes ago, Nolder said:

Yes, much better to watch Transformers 4 or The Selena Gomez Story.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think this is incredibly harsh on Casablanca.  I get not wanting to forced to watch it and maybe it hasn't aged well since the last time I paid attention watching it was probably over 25 years ago, but I thought the main issue was the hero not getting the girl and doing the right thing?  Things that I guess didn't always happen in big Hollywood.

Oh no no. It wasn’t meant to be an indictment of the movie. The movie is fine. It’s a good movie. But over the years I’ve seen many people talk about it like it’s just this absolutely amazing unimpeachable must see film and you’re uncultured if you haven’t seen it. I liked the movie but I think many people completely over hype it. I don’t actually think it’s a must see film and I think a lot of people are just being snobbish because of this pedestal it’s been put on for so long. I have no problem with the movie it’s people I have a problem with lol.

8 hours ago, OilfieldJet said:

Yes, much better to watch Transformers 4 or The Selena Gomez Story.

Transformers 4 was ok. Didn’t love it, didn’t hate it. You want to talk about a filmmaking masterpiece look at The Lord of the Rings. The perfect blend of practical and CGI effects, what Spielberg started with Jurassic Park taken to its pinnacle. Or the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy. I, again, for maybe the 4th or 5th time now, want to emphasize that I am not trying to put down Casablanca. I liked it. I just think we’ve moved passed it and improved on filmmaking since then. It’s significant for its time but it’s not really relevant today except to note its place in history. In other words it’s not a “must see movie” for your average person. That’s all I’m saying.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Nolder said:

Oh no no. It wasn’t meant to be an indictment of the movie. The movie is fine. It’s a good movie. But over the years I’ve seen many people talk about it like it’s just this absolutely amazing unimpeachable must see film and you’re uncultured if you haven’t seen it. I liked the movie but I think many people completely over hype it. I don’t actually think it’s a must see film and I think a lot of people are just being snobbish because of this pedestal it’s been put on for so long. I have no problem with the movie it’s people I have a problem with lol.

Transformers 4 was ok. Didn’t love it, didn’t hate it. You want to talk about a filmmaking masterpiece look at The Lord of the Rings. The perfect blend of practical and CGI effects, what Spielberg started with Jurassic Park taken to its pinnacle. Or the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy. I, again, for maybe the 4th or 5th time now, want to emphasize that I am not trying to put down Casablanca. I liked it. I just think we’ve moved passed it and improved on filmmaking since then. It’s significant for its time but it’s not really relevant today except to note its place in history. In other words it’s not a “must see movie” for your average person. That’s all I’m saying.

Casablanca is a classic and generally universally acclaimed as a top 10 movie of all time. Comparing it to a Transformers movie is like comparing Mahomes to a junior high QB. You obviously don’t get it and obviously are negative on it. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/16/2024 at 9:12 AM, Dcat said:

Casablanca

Zero.

Raise Hand GIF by Nick Jonas

This 56yo has not seen it.  

On 7/17/2024 at 9:15 AM, Jet_Engine1 said:

I saw a random line somewhere that Dune II cost less to make than 5 episodes of She-Hulk.

DIsney's latest turd, Acolyte cost 180 million to make.  By comparison, Dune Part II cost 190 million.

A TV/movie reviewer I watch on YT commented he does not see where they spent the money.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

Raise Hand GIF by Nick Jonas

This 56yo has not seen it.  

DIsney's latest turd, Acolyte cost 180 million to make.  By comparison, Dune Part II cost 190 million.

A TV/movie reviewer I watch on YT commented he does not see where they spent the money.  

Gary or Drinker? 😆 

I used to chat with those guys back in the day, when TCD had about 500 subs. He's around 3M now. Crazy. Both are really cool guys. The people sh*tting on them are deranged. 

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Gary or Drinker? 😆 

I used to chat with those guys back in the day, when TCD had about 500 subs. He's around 3M now. Crazy. Both are really cool guys. The people sh*tting on them are deranged. 

Gary?  Nerdrotic?  Not on a fist name basis.  😁

I do watch the Critical Drinker, but the movie guy I follow is Jeremy Jahns.  For the most part, if he likes a TV/movie show I tend to enjoy it as well.

• Upvote 1